December 05, 2020, 11:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83114 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
Hi Tes, I'm good thanks. 

Very happy with the £4M purchase of Lambert but what do you think about the Lallana impasse?  Our initial bid of £20M was a fair reflection of the players worth imho.  If £30M is what Southampton are looking to obtain then I think LFC should look at other targets who are proven at european and international level.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:41 AM »
Hi Tes, I'm good thanks. 

Very happy with the £4M purchase of Lambert but what do you think about the Lallana impasse?  Our initial bid of £20M was a fair reflection of the players worth imho.  If £30M is what Southampton are looking to obtain then I think LFC should look at other targets who are proven at european and international level.

I'm already starting to get a bit fed up over both the Lallana and Moreno deals. We've made offers, both on the very high side, in my opinion,  considering the individuals' levels of experience and length of time they've shown a 'proven' level of the required performance. Both clubs involved seem to be messing us about.
£20M was more than fair for Lallana. If Southampton have made it clear that their asking price is £30M, then now we should have walked away and be concentrating on securing an alternative.
Likewise with Moreno, who I'm already dubious about his physical and defensive abilities (within the PL).

There is better value out there, and that's taken as given that the player(s) is/are suitable.

Hangeland has been released by Fulham, and whilst not the youngest, is the organiser we need and the perfect role model to help develop the likes of Ilori and even Sakho.
There's Feyenoord's Stefan de Vrij, who would be another excellent signing, and I'd place priority on Lovren over Lallana where Southampton are concerned.

Ayre, rightly or wrongly on my part, still has everything to prove where negotiating transfers is concerned.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
More on Emre...

Touted as the future of German football, Can began his youth career at SV Blau-Gelb Frankfurt before moving to Eintracht Frankfurt. In 2009, Bayern Munich recognised his gifts and secured his signature. In August 2013, with Pep Guardiola having 10 international midfielders at his disposal, the gifted player signed a four-year deal with Bayer Leverkusen in order to ensure first-team football.

"Emre Can is one of the biggest talents in German football," said Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge at the time. "With this step, we want to make sure he gets enough playing practice, for example like Toni Kroos had at Leverkusen, Philipp Lahm at Stuttgart or David Alaba at Hoffenheim."

When he sealed his switch to Leverkusen, Can played under the tutelage of Liverpool legend Sami Hyypia.

Emre's surname is pronounced 'Chan'.

While he prefers to play in central midfield, either in an attacking or defensive capacity, Can has also been deployed out wide on the left, where he loves attacking the full-back. He has also been utilised at centre-back and left-back.

The versatile starlet shares his birthday - January 12 - with former Spice Girl and huge Liverpool fan Melanie C. Can has captained the Reds' Academy striker Samed Yesil at international youth level.

He made his Champions League debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford in September 2013. Leverkusen were defeated 4-2 in that encounter.

Can is often compared to Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger, due to his ability to switch from attack to defence with ease. He also boasts a powerful shot and can comfortably dictate the tempo of a game. His powerful forays forward have also drawn comparisons to Toni Kroos.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164417-10-facts-you-should-know-about-emre-can

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »
Emre's surname is pronounced 'Chan'.

Which makes him a right Charlie.  Taxi's already here.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
We should be looking at Granada's Guilherme Siqueira as an alternative to Moreno.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »
Siqueira is going to Atletico Madrid.

Anyway the Moreno deal is practically done.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »
Siqueira is going to Atletico Madrid.

Anyway the Moreno deal is practically done.

Nothing's guaranteed.

Your opinion on the Moreno deal Edward?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
FFP seems to be having no effect on transfer inflation. Well done UEFA, another resounding success along the lines of your revamping of the UEFA Cup. Bunch of suited cretins.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »
I haven't seen enough of Moreno to make a good judgment call about his ability. From what I have read and from speaking to a few Sevilla supporters on various forums they say he is better going forward and contributing offensively than his defensive game which they say needs more work.

They said positionally he is excellent but his reading of situations needs to be improved upon. He tends to read situations too late and tries to use his physical attributes to cover for those lapses. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

However he definitely has that raw potential to grow and develop and as we've seen with Brendan he can develop players.

Moreno has been scouted by Rafa at Napoli this year and by Real Madrid for a couple of years plus a few other clubs - so they must see something in him that can be worked upon and that will add to what they have.

I am happy to have him here. If his positional game is excellent then that means his defensive game can and will get better because he already has mastered the positional part of that. He just needs to work on reading of the game. That is what I have been told.

But from what games I have seen of him I can see positionally he is very good and offensively excellent but defensively shaky a little bit because of his poor reading of the game. So from what I have seen it matches up to what I have read and heard from La Liga and Sevilla fans.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
I haven't seen enough of Moreno to make a good judgment call about his ability. From what I have read and from speaking to a few Sevilla supporters on various forums they say he is better going forward and contributing offensively than his defensive game which they say needs more work.

They said positionally he is excellent but his reading of situations needs to be improved upon. He tends to read situations too late and tries to use his physical attributes to cover for those lapses. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

However he definitely has that raw potential to grow and develop and as we've seen with Brendan he can develop players.

Moreno has been scouted by Rafa at Napoli this year and by Real Madrid for a couple of years plus a few other clubs - so they must see something in him that can be worked upon and that will add to what they have.

I am happy to have him here. If his positional game is excellent then that means his defensive game can and will get better because he already has mastered the positional part of that. He just needs to work on reading of the game. That is what I have been told.

But from what games I have seen of him I can see positionally he is very good and offensively excellent but defensively shaky a little bit because of his poor reading of the game. So from what I have seen it matches up to what I have read and heard from La Liga and Sevilla fans.

Cheers for that Edward. It tallys with what I've seen and heard of him too. It's a lot of money for someone not so defensively sound, but if a player has the basics positionally then it's a good base. Reading of a game tends to develop with experience and the art of tackling, how to, when to, when not to, when to shepherd and hold up and to make your move for the ball can all be worked on much more easily than a player 'getting it' positionally.

I guess I just view what the primary role of a full back is differently to the manager. He wants attacking full backs that can defend, whereas for me a full back first and foremost has to be a solid all round defender that can attack in different forms.

For me the Mancs had the perfect pair of full backs when they had Neville and Irwin. Primarily they were very sound all round defenders but were able to attack by either going on the outside and taking a player with them so their wide midfielder/winger wasn't doubled up on but could also cross on the run when the ball was played into their path, without having to take a touch. They didn't require the ability to take on or beat a man because of the way they were utilised - either as a runner/decoy, or being 'played into' a crossing position.

It's always more hard to judge young defenders. Very few are really strong at defending by the age of 25. It really starts to come together from then.

Good left backs are few and far between and great ones, well, who at the moment is a truly 'world class' left back, especially in the defensive sense? Answers on the back of a text.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
reminds me of exactly the type of full-back that Brendan craves........great going forward....

keeganesque signing.

but I like the look of the lads we are bringing in.

Can, Moreno (despite maybe not being much use at defending) and Lambert.

All technically very good.

Mind you, if we don;t get our tactics and balance sorted out, we will not get out of the CL group.

Star reporting today that we are close to landing Shaqiri, the bayern winger...a swiss lad....supposedly 15 million.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »
not that it bothers me.

but I am a tad surprised at the deafening silence from Old Trafford.

they have a big summer of rebuilding needed, but they seem to have got no deals over the line.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »
they have a big summer of rebuilding needed, but they seem to have got no deals over the line.

Long may it continue, because three or four quality signings and with Van Gaal coming in, we'd see a massive improvement in them I'm sure. My only hope is that somehow Van Gaal fails to adapt to the league, but somehow I doubt that will be the case.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
Reports that we're interested in Xherdan Shaqiri from Bayern Munich for 15 mil...any truth in that edward?