December 02, 2020, 08:42:21 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82843 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Suarez's second season at Anfield, has seen him develop his game, as to being a superb creator for others.

Dude, I think that's the key for me. Not only does he score a lot of goals, and not just goals that have been laid on for him, but goals that he creates for himself aswell, additionally he creates a lot of chances for others. He's almost two players worth of talent. There are three attributes in one player - finisher of chances created by others, creator and finisher for himself, creator for others. Also he ties up opponents and creates space for others to utilise. He's a constant focal point for opposition defences even when he doesn't have the ball. And neither does he take penalties.

To replace him we're likely to need not just another prolific striker, but also one or even two players who create a sack full of chances for others and weigh in with double figures goal wise themselves. Goals would have to distributed amongst more players throughout the team, and it would heightened the need even more to keep the number of goals conceded down to a much lower level than we currently manage.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
Liverpool open talks with Atletico Madrid over Toby Alderweireld transfer

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/25/liverpool-open-talks-with-atletico-madrid-over-toby-alderweireld-transfer-4774890/

I don't know what to make of this. There's no doubt he was a rising star in Holland, but since going to Atletico last Summer he seems to have lost his way, and I've not been overly impressed with what I've seen for Belguim this Summer. Then again, it's a mere 2 games.

It could be an inspired move where he comes good for us and on a sensible fee. Then again, he could prove to be an Aspas, but then that's the risk that comes with any transfer, no matter who - Veron was proof of that, as was Sami the other way.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Dude, I think that's the key for me. Not only does he score a lot of goals, and not just goals that have been laid on for him, but goals that he creates for himself aswell, additionally he creates a lot of chances for others. He's almost two players worth of talent. There are three attributes in one player - finisher of chances created by others, creator and finisher for himself, creator for others. Also he ties up opponents and creates space for others to utilise. He's a constant focal point for opposition defences even when he doesn't have the ball. And neither does he take penalties.

To replace him we're likely to need not just another prolific striker, but also one or even two players who create a sack full of chances for others and weigh in with double figures goal wise themselves. Goals would have to distributed amongst more players throughout the team, and it would heightened the need even more to keep the number of goals conceded down to a much lower level than we currently manage.

after this latest biting thing, it is hard to know what will happen; and even harder to know if the repercussions will be for the best, or for the worse, Tes.

What he brings to the team is unique.  I think he is the best attacker that I have ever seen playing for Liverpool.

And as you say, it would take 2 or 3 players to do the work he does.

I do have to laugh, after considering it overnight, the over the top abuse he is getting (from the same usual folk).

Look at the BBC World Cup panel - and what ban did the english authorities give to Alan Shearer, when he stamped viciously on Neil Lennon, in May, prior to england heading off to the world cup that summer.  NONE.  ZILCH.  NADA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=kp

And Robbie Savage?  One of the dirtiest players around.  Sly, yellow-bellied, slimy, no-gooder.

And I had to laugh at Robbie Fowler sinking the boot in this morning.  This is the same Robbie Fowler that was snorting imaginary lines of coke, along the football pitch markings, in a premiership game....and the same lad who was goading Graeme Le Saux during a game, about his supposed sexuality.

I do note that both Fowler and Savage have now apologised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtqfavkXu0

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
after this latest biting thing, it is hard to know what will happen; and even harder to know if the repercussions will be for the best, or for the worse, Tes.

What he brings to the team is unique.  I think he is the best attacker that I have ever seen playing for Liverpool.

And as you say, it would take 2 or 3 players to do the work he does.

I do have to laugh, after considering it overnight, the over the top abuse he is getting (from the same usual folk).

Look at the BBC World Cup panel - and what ban did the english authorities give to Alan Shearer, when he stamped viciously on Neil Lennon, in May, prior to england heading off to the world cup that summer.  NONE.  ZILCH.  NADA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=kp

And Robbie Savage?  One of the dirtiest players around.  Sly, yellow-bellied, slimy, no-gooder.

And I had to laugh at Robbie Fowler sinking the boot in this morning.  This is the same Robbie Fowler that was snorting imaginary lines of coke, along the football pitch markings, in a premiership game....and the same lad who was goading Graeme Le Saux during a game, about his supposed sexuality.

I do note that both Fowler and Savage have now apologised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtqfavkXu0

Exactly...no one died...no one was badly hurt, ...it was mad and he needs a psyche evaluation....but if you follow Rugby Union, Dylan Hartley played against the All Blacks last weekend, after biting an opponents finger in 2012 and another guy in 2007...no mention of his disgraceful behaviour though cos he's english.

Stupids from Suarez but judging by those pics of him yesterday he knows he's in the Shiite..

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
So he's got a 4 month match ban from any football and entering any stadium.
9 match ban for Uruguay.
Pittance of a fine.
Pity we have to pay him for the 4 months...would amount to a 3.2 mil fine...might even make him think next time, but i doubt it.
So he'll miss 9 league matches and maybe 4 champs league ones...
Subject to appeal.
FFS.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
The punishment stinks.

It happened at a FIFA tournament, therefore should reflect that, and that only, and not penalise us, in either a footballing sense or financial one. It does both.

He'll miss out on half the group games in the CL, and it could be the difference between us getting out of the group stage and finishing fourth, not even qualifying for the UEFA Cup. Again, more financial penalising.

I don't suppose FIFA or the Uruguay FA will be covering his wages whilst he can't play or even train. Then having missed a pre-season, he's going to miss more games whilst getting up to fitness, or if he doesn't miss them, will be less potent. 

The club needs to appeal this in some way and get the part that affects us changed. A much longer ban from International football of all kinds would be more appropriate.

I'm amazed again at the 'indignation' that the media have come out with again. Whilst he bit an opponent for the third time, it's not a potential career ending assault like a two footed tackle is, yet I guess because of the 'shock value' of the act, it seems to be deemed far worse than jumping in at your opponent two footed. There's no doubt Suarez needs psychological help. He has a feral, childish reactive side, which he definitely needs help with, as it's hard to understand why he did that when he did, considering the state of the match and the way the play was at the actual time of doing it. There was simply no reason for any kind of 'flare up' at that precise moment, and so late in the game.

It's ridiculous the way the media is linking us to the incident. And the Uruguayan reaction is of no help to Suarez at all. Maybe it's an indicator of a wider mindset and explains some of the environmental development reasons for him having this as part of his make up in the first place.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2014, 06:15:52 PM »
Looks like Lallana's in the bag:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-fans-love-adam-7338808

Shaqiri next: http://www.dailystarsunday.co.uk/sport/football/386088/Liverpool-Transfer-Zone-23m-fee-agreed-for-Lallana-Origi-to-be-confirmed-Shaqiri-close

We seem to be buying players who all have the knack of scoring goals which has to be a good thing. Now we just need to sign two or three to help keep the opposition out.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
We seem to be buying players who all have the knack of scoring goals which has to be a good thing. Now we just need to sign two or three to help keep the opposition out.

yes, and while 25 million is excessive, there is a benefit to acquiring someone with proven premiership experience.

he can hit the ground running - whereas someone from abroad will take longer to acclimatise to a new league, and country - assuming they acclimatise at all.

agreed re your point Tes, about buying lads who can score goals.

Brendan might bring in a defender on the last day of the window, or he might go play golf instead. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
We're again being heavily linked with Lazar Markovic, but £20M+ seems a lot for a 22 year old who managed a huge 5 goals and 4 assists in 26 games - compare that to 20 year old Memphis Depay of PSV's 12 goals and 8 assists in 32 games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2014, 08:11:21 PM »
I have to say that the 30 million United are paying for 18 year old full-back Shaw, is a MASSIVE gamble.

With a club that is nearly 400 million quid in debt, and not in the Champions League, this is a helluva risk.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
Brendan might bring in a defender on the last day of the window, or he might go play golf instead.

Or we might try even harder to outgun our own defence.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
Or we might try even harder to outgun our own defence.  ;D

:D

defence is vastly over-ated.

attack attack attack

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
:D

defence is vastly over-ated.

attack attack attack

Whilst the attacking acquisitions and serious links are all very exciting and you can really see a good argument for each one, unlike with most of last Summer's buys, I'll be a bit more reassured once we bring in a left back and possibly a centre half. Still, it's probably my impatience, seeing as the window isn't even officially open yet.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »
yes, as we both know, it is all about balance.

hope Brendan realises this.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
We're again being heavily linked with Lazar Markovic, but £20M+ seems a lot for a 22 year old who managed a huge 5 goals and 4 assists in 26 games - compare that to 20 year old Memphis Depay of PSV's 12 goals and 8 assists in 32 games.

Another one I like the look of is Wolfsburg's Croatian Ivan Perisic, who's looked dangerous in the three World Cup games and another that has had a more productive season than Markovic, with 10 goals and 5 assists last season, and again would be a fraction of the cost of Markovic, and both the Dutch and German leagues are harder than the Portuguese league and also much closer in style of play.