December 05, 2020, 11:15:50 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83077 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
Looks like Lallana's coming for circa £25M, which for me is far too much. Massive big club premium + English player premium and then some.

I imagine this won't be the last time this Summer we overpay, and I predict Southampton spend their windfall much better than we do, getting far better value and that the players they buy will have an equal or greater effect on their season than our's do.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »
yes, it is too much.   Like, it is not as if we are buying someone like John Barnes, or Peter Beardsley.

Ex Southampton icon, Matt Le Tissier certainly reckons we paid way too much, when he said on twitter, "Feel sorry for LFC losing all their money"

It feels as if we are working towards UEFA rules on some necessary English contingent in our team.  Feels like quota buying.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:22:51 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
we are seemingly spending a lot of money this summer.

hope it works out well - and is not a Spurs type summer bonfire of cash (like the one Spurs had last summer - where they threw a load of money away).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
It feels as if we are working towards UEFA rules on some necessary English contingent in our team.  Feels like quota buying.

Dude, this is what I wondered too but then when you go through our squad we easily fall within both UEFA's and PL's quota rules.

An excellent piece here from the Telegraph's interview with Alan Pardew, especially the prices they paid for the likes of Cabaye, Sissoko and Debuchy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10933747/Luke-Shaws-30m-price-tag-is-why-we-buy-foreign-at-Newcastle-we-cant-afford-English-says-Alan-Pardew.html

This is exactly the sort of thing I mean about overpaying for Lallana.

The Spurs comparison is a good one. Whilst we need to reinforce the squad, adding too many can mean trying to integrate too many players and the rhythm of the side gets disrupted.
Additionally, we could end up stockpiling more expensive dead wood or spending too much on too few and finding we're still understrength.

There are two, possibly three positions in the first eleven that need strengthening and so far the obvious priority of those two/three has not been addressed. I hope we don't skimp on the fee for a left back because we've spent heavily on the attacking positions, ie Moreno to Bertrand.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2014, 01:13:16 AM »
Looks like Lallana's coming for circa £25M, which for me is far too much. Massive big club premium + English player premium and then some.

I imagine this won't be the last time this Summer we overpay, and I predict Southampton spend their windfall much better than we do, getting far better value and that the players they buy will have an equal or greater effect on their season than our's do.

Southampton are looking at FC Twente's Dusan Tadic, a left sided midfielder for around £12M. He's two years younger than Lallana, and scored 16 goals in 33 matches compared to Lallana's 9 goals in 38 matches.
In those same 33 matches he contributed 14 assists to Lallana's 6. So in pretty much every game he either scored or made a goal compared to Lallana's rate of less than 1 in 2.
In his two seasons with FC Twente he's played 66 times and scored 28 goals, so last season was hardly a one off.

With the amount of strengthening needed we have to be smarter.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Lallana is finally ours.

“We are delighted to have secured the services of one of the Premier League’s top talents in signing Adam Lallana,” Brendan Rodgers told liverpoolfc.com. “What is apparent about Adam is that his character is on a par with his talent.

“He is an exceptional young man and someone who has a love for the game - and, most importantly, a desire to progress and improve. Adam is motivated by being the best he can be and being part of something special. We believe he fits right in with what we are trying to do at Liverpool.

“We have seen, over the past two seasons in the Premier League, he has a tactical awareness to adapt to what is required of him and to put the team above his personal ambitions. He has leadership skills and personal qualities that make him a special commodity and I am delighted we have acted decisively to make sure he is wearing a Liverpool shirt next season.

“Adam is aware there will be great competition for places at this club and he is hungry to improve further. We are confident he will fit perfectly with the culture we have at Liverpool. I’m excited about working with Adam and helping him to progress even further.”
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:31:06 PM by the dude abides »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
Southampton are looking at FC Twente's Dusan Tadic, a left sided midfielder for around £12M. He's two years younger than Lallana, and scored 16 goals in 33 matches compared to Lallana's 9 goals in 38 matches.
In those same 33 matches he contributed 14 assists to Lallana's 6. So in pretty much every game he either scored or made a goal compared to Lallana's rate of less than 1 in 2.
In his two seasons with FC Twente he's played 66 times and scored 28 goals, so last season was hardly a one off.

With the amount of strengthening needed we have to be smarter.

yes, we need to be smarter.

I have always reckoned that if I was boss at Anfield, one of my first priorities would be trying to bring in Newcastle's scout - Graham Carr...........assuming of course he would leave the bar codes.

You know Tes, I was giving some consideration this week, as to what is to stop me from taking a keen interest in the top league in Panama, and becoming an agent (for the British/European market) for many of these lads.   Football in Panama is very strong at present.  Costa Rica is our next door neighbour.....and Panama can give them a good game (we were in the same world cup qualifying group - as Costa Rica, USA and Mexico).

I think the idea was inspired on reading a few weeks ago, that Tony Bliar's son, is becoming an agent in Brazil.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Lallana is an excellent signing. It's not £25m in one go. We've only paid £16m up front.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
It's still a huge chunk of change. Let's hope he can be an ex-Blue turned Liverpool legend.

Any news on ze defensive reinforcements, Edward?

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »
It's still a huge chunk of change. Let's hope he can be an ex-Blue turned Liverpool legend.

Any news on ze defensive reinforcements, Edward?

We're in a deadlock situation with Sevilla over Moreno. We've also expressed interest in Lovren. Apart from that there is nothing major to report.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Bertrand is again being linked for £7M. Why are we considering him, as he's neither a real upgrade on Enrique (apart from not being injured) or on Flanno who was playing out of position.

If we (the manager) are intent on him then what are we offering such a high fee for a player who is not wanted by his club, and who no other club (not even Villa where he was on loan last season) is interested in. If Assaidi isn't worth the £7M we want from Stoke, then Bertrand's value should be half of that.

Hopefully this won't happen, as we're spending money and not getting any improvement for the fee.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2014, 12:27:34 AM »
Liverpool step up interest in Seattle Sounders defender DeAndre Yedlin

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/04/liverpool-step-up-interest-in-seattle-sounders-defender-deandre-yedlin-4787470/

Interesting, if true.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
First it was Lovren, now apparently, Sissoko:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/387559/Liverpool-and-Monaco-eyeing-swoop-for-Newcastle-ace-Moussa-Sissoko and other media outlets.

Our interest in both players actually pre-dates Rodgers' tenure, yet 'as per' we wait until they're snapped up by another PL team and look to pay out masses more for them than if we'd have actually got our act together and signed them when there was the initial interest.

At least with this one we're getting in on paying over the odds nice and early:

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/liverpool-lazar-markovic-priorities-priorities/

Our transfer policy this Summer seems to be scatter gun, and without addressing the real issue from last season, our inability to stop any opposition, no matter how poor, from scoring.

The kid has entered the sweet shop arm with his Mum's credit card.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
Apparently we're trying to re-open negotiations for Moreno. Personally, I think we'd be far better off if we could get Wolfburg's Ricardo Rodriguez, or closer to home Swansea's Ben Davies has been one of the best left backs in the PL since Laudrup gave him his debut, and would cost about the same as Bertrand, but is far better.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
Now being linked with the 20 year old serb Markovic, for 25 mil no less! Insane price for an untested player who scores 6 goals in 49 games.
Khedira, the def midfielder for 22 mil would be a far wiser buy, experience, proven international etc...aka a safe bet.