December 05, 2020, 11:32:46 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83089 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
£25m and he's yours! Liverpool told to raise bid for Dejan Lovren

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/387755/25m-and-he-s-yours-Liverpool-told-to-raise-bid-for-Dejan-Lovren

Offer them a choice of Skrtel, Coates or (reluctantly) Agger, seeing as Rodgers doesn't appear to rate our best (by far) ball playing centre half, despite making him vice captain last Summer, plus a few quid on top, and let's be done overpaying for a player we should and could have bought for a fraction of the price last Summer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
Now being linked with the 20 year old serb Markovic, for 25 mil no less! Insane price for an untested player who scores 6 goals in 49 games.

Both Benfica and Porto have a habit (one we would do well to learn from) of buying in players for low, sensible fees and selling them on at vastly increased ones. They signed Markovic from Partizan Belgrade last Summer for £9M, now 7 goals and 4 assists in 48 games later he's worth more than double that? He must have a terrific chance creation stat.

Shaqiri surely is/was the better choice.

We're just throwing whatever stupid sum of money clubs are asking forat them, whilst we can't even offload our deadwood for peanuts. Apparently Sevilla have offered us half our money back for Aspas. Considering the way they price their players (unless they're selling their best one to Barca, of course), Aspas' single goal against the might of Oldham should make him worth at least his original purchase price, if not closer to £8.5M/£10M in Sevilla currency.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
Liverpool FC admit defeat in pursuit of Alexis Sanchez

Jul 07, 2014 20:29  By James Pearce

Liverpool FC have been forced to admit defeat in their attempts to sign Barcelona attacker Alexis Sanchez.

The Reds held talks with the talented Chile international and hoped he would agree to be a makeweight in the Luis Suarez deal.

However, Anfield officials have been unable to convince Sanchez to make the move to Merseyside and they are resigned to the 25-year-old joining Premier League rivals Arsenal instead.

Both clubs were willing to match Barcelona’s valuation of around £30million so it came down to the player’s preference.

Sanchez asked for time to consider his options over the weekend and his representatives have now informed Liverpool that he is likely to join the Gunners. They cited the desire of Sanchez's family to live in the capital as key to his decision.

Missing out on Sanchez, who had scored 39 goals in 88 league games for the Spanish giants, is a blow for the Reds as manager Brendan Rodgers believed he would be a perfect addition to the club’s attacking armoury.

It also means that the deal for Suarez is set to be straight cash with Barcelona having already agreed to pay the release clause in his contract of around £75million.

The payment structure is yet to be finalised but with Sanchez no longer part of the equation progress should be swift and the finer details of the transfer can now be completed.

Liverpool are close to wrapping up a £25million deal for Benfica winger Lazar Markovic.
  [It gets worse]

The young Serbian’s move to Anfield has been given the seal of approval by his national team boss Ljubinko Drulovic.

“It'll be good for him and Benfica,” Drulovic said.

“Going to a very strong league will help him even more to become a major player worldwide.

“He's 20 years old and has a long time to play. Markovic could prove to become a very important player in Europe.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-admit-defeat-pursuit-7386726

So £30M gets Arsenal 39 goals in 88 league games, meanwhile we're paying £25M (apparently) for a meagre 5 in 26.

In the Serbian league he scored 6 in 26 (2011/12) and 7 in 19 with 7 assists (2012/13), slight step up to the Portuguese Primeira Liga and it becomes 5 in 26 with 4 assists. At this rate Skrtel would be a better replacement even taking into account 3 own goals against 7 in the right end.

Looking at the way we're going about replacing Suarez's contribution, we've either got some massive defensive signings in the pipeline that have been kept miraculously quiet from all forms of media, or FSG have ordered a pair of 50 foot long double deckers.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2014, 10:59:36 PM »
Allegedly we're happy to help Napoli fund another loan for Pepe:

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/07/07/shared-salary-discussed-as-liverpool-and-napoli-talk-fresh-pepe-reina-loan/149026/

So if true, we're not prepared to pay his salary, whilst having him play for us and have two decent keepers pushing each other, but we're happy to provide Napoli with their first choice and help them pay his salary, meanwhile his contract runs down further, as does his value.

There seems like there's far more money than sense swilling about the corridors of Anfield and Melwood this Summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
Can we buy Sami Khedira please??

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2014, 12:38:08 AM »
Can we buy Sami Khedira please??

Khedira and Can sat in front of the back four. Sounds like a plan to me.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:54 AM »
Khedira and Can sat in front of the back four. Sounds like a plan to me.

Absolutely.
I see Sanchez and Remy are off to Arsenal. We should have thrown everything at getting both and now Arsenal will be back in the game. City, United and Chelsea all strengthen and if we don't strengthen our midfield and backline we'll be lucky to get top 4 now.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2014, 07:01:55 AM »
Allegedly we're happy to help Napoli fund another loan for Pepe:

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/07/07/shared-salary-discussed-as-liverpool-and-napoli-talk-fresh-pepe-reina-loan/149026/

So if true, we're not prepared to pay his salary, whilst having him play for us and have two decent keepers pushing each other, but we're happy to provide Napoli with their first choice and help them pay his salary, meanwhile his contract runs down further, as does his value.

There seems like there's far more money than sense swilling about the corridors of Anfield and Melwood this Summer.

So first Reina then i read somewhere that we were offering to do the same for Lucas! WTF is that about? I mean i love Rafa but i didnt think that helping Napoli constantly was in our remit???

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
Absolutely.
I see Sanchez and Remy are off to Arsenal. We should have thrown everything at getting both and now Arsenal will be back in the game. City, United and Chelsea all strengthen and if we don't strengthen our midfield and backline we'll be lucky to get top 4 now.

I feel a struggle ahead in my gut, and it's not last night's evening meal.  ;D

I can't understand why we haven't been in for Remy, he makes sense on so many levels. Sanchez was unfortunately down to his family's desire to live in damned London. I really hope we're not seeing a re-run of the Summers of 2002 and 2009, but it just has that feel about it at the moment.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
Actually unlike 2002 and 2009 I think we are being MUCH more smarter in our business.

We are making proper 'depth' signings that we desperately need. Once you add in all those midweek European matches with all that travel involved, our already thin squad will have an uphill battle to stay in the top 4. Especially now with United getting an experienced manager and finally signing a midfielder.

We won't immediately be able to replace Suarez, but we can shore up the defence and midfield.

When the time comes and a truly world class striker is available (like the summer Higuain, Cavani, Falcao etc were for sale), we can do it then.

With Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Can, Lallana, Coutinho who can all play in the midfield - albeit only Lucas, Can and Gerrard can play as the DM - moves for Khedira who will cost £25m plus doesn't make much sense.

Especially if we are going back to 4-3-3 and not 4-1-2-1-2 now that Suarez is off. So Sturridge will be our man in the middle.

So our moves for Lallana and Markovic then makes even more sense as they can play anywhere along that front three so we become more flexible.

From what I hear we WILL buy another striker. So it will be Sturridge, Lambert and whoever else.

We'll sign Lovren (probably) and a left back so Rodgers is looking to recruit in those areas. Whether you or I agree with those reinforcements is another matter. But we can't say he isn't looking at those areas as he is.

So I actually think we are being very smart in this transfer window.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »
We've bid £10m for Ben Davies.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:25 AM »
We've bid £10m for Ben Davies.

Excellent. Him ahead of Moreno and Bertrand any day as far as I'm concerned. Give him a couple of seasons with the right coaching he can eclipse Shaw.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »
Actually unlike 2002 and 2009 I think we are being MUCH more smarter in our business.

We are making proper 'depth' signings that we desperately need. Once you add in all those midweek European matches with all that travel involved, our already thin squad will have an uphill battle to stay in the top 4. Especially now with United getting an experienced manager and finally signing a midfielder.

We won't immediately be able to replace Suarez, but we can shore up the defence and midfield.

When the time comes and a truly world class striker is available (like the summer Higuain, Cavani, Falcao etc were for sale), we can do it then.

With Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, Can, Lallana, Coutinho who can all play in the midfield - albeit only Lucas, Can and Gerrard can play as the DM - moves for Khedira who will cost £25m plus doesn't make much sense.

Especially if we are going back to 4-3-3 and not 4-1-2-1-2 now that Suarez is off. So Sturridge will be our man in the middle.

So our moves for Lallana and Markovic then makes even more sense as they can play anywhere along that front three so we become more flexible.

From what I hear we WILL buy another striker. So it will be Sturridge, Lambert and whoever else.

We'll sign Lovren (probably) and a left back so Rodgers is looking to recruit in those areas. Whether you or I agree with those reinforcements is another matter. But we can't say he isn't looking at those areas as he is.

So I actually think we are being very smart in this transfer window.

I agree we're looking to add depth, which makes our readiness to let Agger, Skrtel and even Pepe go rather strange, and utterly bizarre if any of them leave on loan. Experience is priceless, and especially when those three players have not just European football experience but CL football experience.

I don't think, in fact I'm certain, none of us believe we can replace Suarez but what we can do is recreate the 'effect' by spreading the chance creation and goals across a greater number of players, but we can also reduce the need for goals by adapting our game in order to be stronger defensively. By the end of last season every team was willing to have a go (with the exception of Chelsea). Cardiff put three past us, Palace didn't look shell shocked at 3-0 down and once they got the first there was no way they were settling for or believing that it would simply be a consolation, so we have to eradicate the impression we can easily 'be got at'.

I think your point about buying a 'name' striker is a good one, but they are becoming fewer throughout football, and we already have a potentially great goalscorer in Sturridge. We need to have the supporting cast to see that he flourishes, but he can't play all the matches, chances are he won't stay fit all season and with England qualifiers coming thick and fast I think we missed a trick in not getting Remy, who would have been an excellent 'partner' and/or replacement when Sturridge needs a break or is injured.

I also think Firmino is worth considering.

One centre half who's so far gone under the radar is Ron Vlaar who only has a year left on his Villa contract. He's a solid PL defender and has always impressed me when I've seen him despite the dross around him at Villa, and has shown his quality for the Dutch this Summer too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »

Markovic? At the sort of prices being quoted? What does he actually bring apart from supposedly 'looking good with the ball'.

And boy have we lashed out financially whilst everyone screws us down to pennies when we sell. We are as weak as ever in the transfer market.

The speed with which we've been dealing with the 'attacking' aspect suggests Rodgers did know he would be needing to replace Suarez somehow, because by the end of the season the defence was howlingly obvious in need of being made the overriding priority for the transfer window and playing wise next season. Not the attacking aspect.
It's almost as though defence and the defensive aspect of football is an afterthought, the snot nosed little brother that has to be tolerated, instead of being central and integral to 'ultimate success'.

So far, and I'm stressing 'so far' it looks like more of the same this season, rather than understanding and addressing why we fell short. If we play like we did last season in the CL matches we will suffer humiliation. Just ask Taggart about how the PL formula doesn't translate to success in the CL.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
Chelsea transfer news and rumours: Blues put £8m price tag on Ryan Bertrand amid Liverpool and Tottenham interest

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-rumours-blues-7402676

£8M. That must end our interest. That's a joke. If we can't get £8M for Assaidi, an attacker who is only a year older, hasn't spent most of his career farmed out on loan with no club showing a sniff of interest in making it permanent and who played 26 times for Stoke last season compared to Bertrand's 16, then Bertrand's value can only be half, at most of whatever Stoke screw us down to.

If Rodgers goes for him at that price, even remotely close, then I truly do despair of our manager when it comes to the defensive side of the game and transfers.