December 05, 2020, 11:54:43 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83112 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
So we can spend 135 mil now and we're being linked with the likes of Jay Rodriguez, let me guess 25 million.

Bart, look at this way, once the merger with Southampton is complete we'll have Ronald Koeman rather than that Colin bloke as Rodgers' assistant. I'm not keen on the new badge which has the Liverbird stood beneath a tree, with it's foot on a ball and a halo (I think it's a halo but it could be a 'symbolic' wedding ring) above it's head. And the twig in it's mouth has been replaced by that white rose thing off Southampton's badge. The poor thing looks more like Ermintrude. It looks like Warrior must have designed it.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
You are spot on, about us needing to have a strong defence.  If we do not concede so many, we do not need to score so many.  As I always harp on about, BALANCE IS KEY.

Your data suggests low to mid 30s, is what we need to be aiming for (goals against).

The problem is that Rodgers is solely focussed on attack.  I imagine by the end of the window, we will have Moreno and Lovren.

The average across the entire PL era with Chelsea's freakish 15 goals taken out so it doesn't pull the average artificially low is 33.42 goals.

If we reduced our goals conceded by 25% it would give us a total of 37.5 goals conceded, which is still 4 above the historic average for the PL era. Using seasons where 30 or more were conceded (there were 6 seasons in addition to Chelsea's record 15 where 29 or less were conceded) as this was the case in 14 out of 22 seasons, then the average rises to 36.8, still nearly a goal less than if we reduce our concession by 25%.

I've done it this way to try and find a reasonable amount by which we would need to tighten up the defence, without painting an artificially bleak picture, hence leaving Chelsea's 15 goal season out to make the average more representative. Likewise looking at just 30+ seasons.

The target sensibly has to be less than 35, but a 25% reduction on last season to 37.5 goals wouldn't be a million miles away. There have been 4 seasons where more than 37.5 were conceded by the winners, and a further 3 where 37 were conceded by the winners.

Moreno is known more for his attack mindedness than his defensive abilities. Lovren, I do rate as a defender (meaningless as that is).

Of course there were individual defensive errors, but that's not unique to us, but the underlying problem was a systemic one, not 50 individual errors, though Skrtel did his best to prove otherwise.  ;D

Also it's easier to change the system somewhat than to try and integrate a pair of full backs and a centre half (for argument's sake). With the exception of Flanno, none of the other defenders we used were exactly rookies. There were two new centre halves, and occasionally (Cissoko) a new left back, so if anyone wants to use that as the explanation then doesn't that rather make my earlier point for me, and so we're back to systems again.
Changing personnel regularly? Well, Skrtel, Agger and Johnson are hardly strangers to each other,  and they did play with Flanno also during Dalglish's time. So that leaves Sakho and Toure, and Flanno as neither played with him before. Just how many times did we see a defensive line up of Johnson, Toure, Sakho, Flanno? Not once.
The most 'unfamiliars' line up used was Flanno, Toure, Skrtel, Cissoko - used 4 times, 3 wins and a draw, 5 conceded, 1 clean sheet, 12 goals scored.

Whilst going through the line ups the most common combo used was Skrtel and Johnson. They played in more games together than any other duo or trio. Surprised? Thought not. The Skrtel Sakho duo suffered a few times, but not without Johnson also being in the team.

So why were we so bad when players who are familiar with each other played together so often?

Answers in an email to Mr B Rodgers@lfc.fc   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
Apparently Southampton want Martin Kelly. Three conditions should be attached:

1. They overpay like we did for Lallana - Kelly's English and has played for the full England team - premium should be applied.
2. They sell us Lovren, and not for £25M.
3. They DON'T sell us Jay Rodriguez.

I don't think we can keep waiting to see if Kelly can prove his fitness and break back into the team. Sell on clause definitely needs inserting though, in addition to 'add-ons'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »
Swindon Town want young left back Brad Smith on loan this season. It's OK I suppose but Swindon are in League 2, which is the third tier of English football. Considering he's played for the first team and been in and around the first team squad, maybe a Championship team would be more the standard we should be looking at for him.

Talking of loans, we've agreed to loan Aspas to Sevilla. The same Sevilla of the ridiculous transfer fees, and whilst asking us for £20M for their left back can't even give us a few quid for a la Liga proven striker.

The Vaseline bill at Anfield must be eyewatering during transfer windows.  :'(   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »
Newcastle look like signing Feyenoord right-back Daryl Janmaat for £5M. He would have been an excellent signing allowing us to tighten up defensively over Glenn Johnson's contribution without losing an attacking outlet.

At nearly 25, it wold have meant the right back spot was nicely sorted for the next few years with Janmaat and Flanno - we really can't say that Andre Wisdom can be a solution, and we could have got most of the fee back off QPR for Johnson. Ah well.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »
Arsenal AGREE £3.2m fee for Colombia star David Ospina

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/389075/Arsenal-agree-3-2m-fee-for-Colombia-star-David-Ospina

"While Wojciech Szczesny is unlikely to be disposed from his No. 1 spot, Ospina will offer good competition and joins the Premier League with a good reputation."

Two questions:

1. Would £3.2M really have broken our bank?
2. Why is it that Mignolet gets a free pass to his place in the team when most other positions have players that face competition for their place?

Competition focuses the mind and keeps players concentrating and on their toes. If doesn't or they don't fancy that sort of 'challenge' then they've no place being at the club.

When Ian Rush can fear for his place, then our current lot should be driven by the night terrors of not being in the starting 11.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
We will be getting in another GK though. Most probably Vorm.

Anyway Brad Jones is a good enough back up. If he can do it in an FA Cup semi final against Everton then he's ok by me.

You have to be aware that for goalkeepers the whole No.1 and back up GK is completely different to an outfield position.

I agree janmaat would have been a good signing. Alas he'll leave Newcy for triple the price in 18 months most probably - and probably to us!!!

I can see Flanagan making the RB position his own though.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »
Alas he'll leave Newcy for triple the price in 18 months most probably - and probably to us!!!

Hey!!!! Oh ye of little faith.  :D  That's my job.  Can't we poach Newcastle's scouting network or at least parts of it?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
How inaccurate is 'Caught Offside' - this from: http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/07/16/as-good-as-messi-ronaldo-experts-managers-laud-liverpool-new-signing-markovic/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=as-good-as-messi-ronaldo-experts-managers-laud-liverpool-new-signing-markovic

"The young attacker can play anywhere along the front line, but is perhaps most comfortable in a central no.10 position, although he’s equally effective on the right wing."

However, from the lad's own lips, from: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-lazar-markovic-hungry-7434314

"When pushed on the subject, he stated that his preferred position was down the left-hand side, but insisted he was just looking forward to getting started at his new club, saying: He said: “The left side is preferable, but I will play wherever I am asked. I do not mind."

It's good to read such a well researched article - so what does it say about their claims that he's ‘as good as Messi & Ronaldo’, especially when Avram Grant's quote, which they put in their article just so everyone can see how inaccurate they are re the quote, actually says:

"I can say that apart from Ronaldo and Messi, Markovic is one of the best talents I’ve ever seen at 19 years of age".

So less than not 'as good as'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
An interesting article on Ben Davies: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2131317-swanseas-ben-davies-would-be-a-solid-purchase-for-liverpool

and from The Echo: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/search-goes-on-ben-davies-7435364

"Davies isn’t being targeted for his goalscoring prowess (for the record, he has three in two seasons)"

Glenn Johnson has 1 goal in the same period.

Ben Davies 2013/14         34 PL games 2 goals 1 assist
Glenn Johnson 2013/14   29 PL games 0 goals 3 assists
Luke Shaw 2013/14         35 PL games 0 goals 2 assists

Ben Davies 2012/13         37 PL games 1 goal 2 assists
Glenn Johnson 2012/13   36 PL games 1 goal 5 assists
Luke Shaw 2012/13         25 PL games 0 goals 0 assists

Johnson looks to be on a downward curve, whilst Davies the opposite, doesn't have experience to rely on and his team mates are of a lesser quality.

He more than holds his own in an attacking sense against a player who's strength is definitely attacking, and defensively is much stronger.

More importantly than assists, he created 31 chances last season, compared to Moreno's 19. I don't have figures for Johnson.

Even if he costs the reported £12M, compared to the likes of Moreno and Shaw, he's a good value option.

From what I've seen and read about him he reminds me of Alan Kennedy.

Update: Spurs have had a £10 bid accepted, whilst our £8M one had been declined: http://www.theswanseaway.co.uk/2014/07/davies-pulled-from-chivas-friendly-as.html#.U8Z84UBCx74

Surely it has to be worth upping our bid to £10M,  and see if Davies fancies staying closer to home and working with Rodgers again, especially when Shaw went for £27M and Sevilla want £20M+ for Moreno.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:32:29 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10970676/Liverpool-and-Tottenham-battle-to-sign-Swansea-City-defender-Ben-Davies-as-Spurs-agree-10-million-fee.html

"But Davies is aware of Liverpool’s interest and would welcome the opportunity to speak with Rodgers if they match the Spurs bid.

Unless the scouts go against form and actually discover a gem from somewhere, surely this one makes the most sense and ticks more boxes than Moreno and Bertrand.

Go on Brendan, you can do it. £2M more, and yes, we can pretend he's another attacker if you like.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »
We're being linked with Micah Richards again. Why?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/489434/Liverpool-eye-cut-price-deal-for-Micah-Richards-as-Arsenal-and-Newcastle-interest-dwindles

Just because he has a year left on his contract and won't cost a huge fee, why would we even consider it? His injury record is dire. What makes Rodgers think that is miraculously going to change?
Not to mention his lack of positional sense and ability to actually manage to concentrate on the job in hand for a mere 90 minutes.

Best left alone unless our physios have been complaining about not replacing Degen and Aurelio.

Can't our ex-Man City scouting duo be just a touch more imaginative?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:26:48 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
David Maddock really ought to wait until the effects of his leisure activities wear off before putting fingers to keyboard:

Liverpool transfer hit-list now includes Arturo Vidal, Paul Pogba and Marco Reus

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-transfer-hit-list-now-includes-3875539

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
From: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/489588/TRANSFER-NEWS-Liverpool-eye-Bakkali-Chelsea-s-DOUBLE-swoop-Arsenal-s-Balotelli-twist

Crystal Palace have agreed fees for both Cardiff striker Frazier Campbell and Tottenham's Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.

That's excellent news for us if we are going back in for Ben Davies, as Swansea were wanting to re-sign Sigurdsson, and were looking to do a deal with Spurs. Now that advantage has gone.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »
I can't help being impressed by Newcastle's scouting and transfers:

Newcastle signed Debauchy for £5M in January 2013, sell him 18 months later for £12M and replace him with Daryl Janmaat for £5M.  8)