December 05, 2020, 11:51:59 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83109 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »
Now we're being linked with Falcao.

Oops, sorry wrong one, this one:

Because of his age, 28, knee injury, ACL, and the fact that Monaco seem to be in meltdown £25M should do it.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
We're allegedly looking at Atletico Madrid's young right back Javi Manquillo. It's not clear whether it's on loan (as Arsenal are trying for) or a permanent deal. They must be open to a permanent deal as they're rumoured to be offering him plus cash to Sevilla for Moreno.

If we do get him, even on loan, where does that leave Johnson, or is he looking at him as cover/competition for Johnson whilst leaving his options open to use Flanno as a left back again?

We'll be having a brand new back four/three at this rate. This season coming season doesn't look like being dull at least with so much transition still going on.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
From: Liverpool set to lose Ben Davies transfer battle as left-back moves closer to Tottenham switch

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-set-lose-ben-davies-3879566

"Spurs are set to agree the £8 million fee today and then hope for the nod from the defender they have been chasing for weeks.

But Spurs are now willing to bid more and meet Swansea’s demand for a guaranteed £8 million fee.

So having turned down an £8M bid from us they're going to accept £8M from Spurs? I know things are more expensive in London than Liverpool but since when has £8M been more than £8M?

And what were we going to do - agree £8M, wait until he's signed for us and the paperwork is all sorted, then only pay them £7M?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
Liverpool tell Loic Remy to lower his wage demands if he wants £8million Anfield move

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tell-loic-remy-lower-3881104

Good to see that we won't be held to ransom on ridiculous salaries from the off, and if Remy is sensible he'll realise that we've been quite active in the last couple of seasons increasing the salaries of those who have earned it and performed well, so if he wants a huge salary, he knows what he has to do.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
Tottenham Hotspur set to beat Liverpool to the £10 million signing of Swansea's Ben Davies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10977642/Tottenham-Hotspur-set-to-beat-Liverpool-to-the-10-million-signing-of-Swanseas-Ben-Davies.html

We know what we have to do, match Spurs bid or offer £11M. He may not be as exotic an option as Moreno, but when you compare his performance to Moreno's and Shaw's he comes out on top, both attacking and defending, and unlike Moreno, he's already shown himself more than capable of dealing with the physical side of the English game.

Although it's not quite as straightforward and simple, we can use the difference between Borini's sale price and Remy's buyout clause to improve our offer for Davies and that's two more pieces of the jigsaw.

If we miss out on Davies we're left relying on the form and fitness of Enrique or playing Flanno out of position.

Davies could be our left back for the next 10 years.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Looks like Spurs are getting Davies and Vorm, and sending cash and Gylfi Sigurdsson (who turned down Palace because he wanted to go back to Wales) to Swansea. Now if only Sanchez had Sigurdsson's outlook or had spoken to him before deciding (like those who shall remain un-named for the sake of this being a football forum) that London (and the South East) is the be all and end all in this country.

Hopefully Rodgers won't panic and overpay on Moreno or even worse, pay more than a couple of million quid for Bertrand.

Just like they wouldn't 'sell to a rival' with Lakaku, let's hope they maintain that stand over Bertrand. Doubtful though, as Lakaku would have strengthened us where as Bertrand will do the polar opposite.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
I watched the last 30 mins of the  Preston game and turned on when we were 1-0 down ...saw some very nice touches from Suso and Ibe in particular impressed as he did for Brondby. Would be good if he could make the same impact as Sterling on the left wing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Would be good if he could make the same impact as Sterling on the left wing.

He's carving out a very similar path to Sterling. He reminds me of the Sterling of 2012/13 - his decision making and end product reflects his inexperience. However, look at the huge improvement Sterling made last season in that area. Ibe has the talent and it looks like the desire to be able to make the required improvement.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
It wouldn't hurt for us to look at Virgil van Dijk at Celtic if the Lovren deal doesn't happen. From everything I've read and the bit I've seen, he could be an excellent, difference making centre half. European experience too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
Borini's flown out to the US with the squad instead of traveling up to Wearside to sort out his personal terms.

He'd better not mess up the great deal that the club has manage to sort out with Sunderland.

Does he really think he's going to get that many games this season ahead of Sturridge and Remy (if he signs), and he can talk all wants of CL football, but unless he's just after collecting stamps in his passport, again, he's hardly likely to feature in the CL matches.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
Ben Davies undergoing Tottenham medical dashing Liverpool hopes

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490107/Ben-Davies-undergoing-Tottenham-medical-dashing-Liverpool-hopes

Despite having to find a new manager and then Pochettino having to run the rule over his squad and see what he needs, they've still managed to sort this deal out. It's not like we've had a huge list of left backs to troll through.
Moreno was always being priced above what we want to/can pay, and Sevilla will always just up the asking price if we up our offer, it's the way they work with PL teams, just like Lyon and Porto. Then there was Bertrand, who Chelsea made clear from the off they weren't selling to us, but still we've dithered.
Davies should have been second on the list, not Bertrand. Davies was the stand out young left back in the PL last season, his second season, better than Shaw.
We've dropped the ball on this one in regards to Plan B as far as Moreno goes.

We'll either end up paying £18M+ for Moreno, or when the transfer window shuts, we'll be the team, despite others also requiring left backs, left without a new one.

Also, if Davies is unsure of whether he'll be cover, first choice or what, it's a shame we didn't get permission to talk to him so the manager could have spelt out his plans, or is it a case of Huw Jenkins sulking about our alleged negotiating with Bony, when that was hardly more than a rumour, died quickly and our interest has hardly been intense at any time or maintained in anyway.

I just hope we don't panic on this one. Whatever we do must be an improvement on both Enrique and Flanno, and I hope we hold back some of our budget for January, in case there is an opportunity to sort it out then instead. Failing that, there's nothing wrong with waiting until next Summer if we can't improve on what we have, and the list of those who are an actual improvement, whilst short to begin with, is getting whittled down by the days/week.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
Richards is now trying to get City to loan him out:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490101/Micah-Richards-eyeing-loan-move-after-Liverpool-Spurs-and-Newcastle-balk-at-7m-price-tag

Injuries aside (and that's ignoring a huge issue for the sake of discussion), is he an upgrade on Johnson, Flanno, Kelly.

Talking of loans, Napoli are back begging to borrow Lucas again. What benefit is there to us to lose one of the few CL experience players we have in our squad and a brilliant role model and example to all the young players we are introducing, and for nothing. They seem able to purchase off every other team, so why are we different? Rafa or not, put up the cash or look elsewhere.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
Either this is incorrect:

Dejan Lovren move to Liverpool IMMINENT after Southampton accept £16m bid

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490112/Dejan-Lovren-move-to-Liverpool-IMMINENT-after-Southampton-accept-16m-bid

or all the previous reports stating we'd had a £20M bid rejected were false, both and everything's made up BS.

It would be great if true, as £16M is still a lot, and nearly doubles Southampton's money in just one season, but he does seem to be our only genuine centre back target, which has always seemed odd considering our defensive necessities with or without Suarez at the club.   

He's another example of the gross differences in the papers' reporting on this deal:

From http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390001/Dejan-Lovren-set-to-snub-Tottenham-and-sign-for-Liverpool-within-the-next-48-hours

Dejan Lovren set to snub Tottenham and sign for Liverpool within the next 48 hours

"Liverpool are thought to be forking out £23m for the centre back as another of Southampton's stars heads for the exit."

So is the "1" in the Express's article or the "2" in the Star's a typo? Or something else?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:47:51 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
Even if we get Lovren, I'd still like to see Virgil van Dijk brought in, as that would give us a long term trio of Lovren, Sakho and van Dijk, with Kelly/Wisdom/Ilori possibilities also.