December 02, 2020, 09:04:14 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82851 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »
Borini's agent is supposedly saying he wants to stay with us and fight for his place. Depending upon the financial package he could expect at Sunderland, that's quite admirable, knowing who he's up against.

However, would Sunderland, Gus Poyet etc go to the trouble they have all Summer trying to negotiate a fee with us, and we seem to have driven a pretty hard bargain, without the merest idea as to whether Borini was the least bit interested or not, and wouldn't Rodgers have made it clear to Borini where he stood before allowing the club to negotiate his departure all Summer?

Other than journalistic 'made up rubbish' being the reason, something seems rather odd here.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
If Lucas moves to Napoli we could probably do with another midfielder. One player who I've always thought would suit us, and who I thought was the most consistent player for the Dutch, and who with De Vrij, just got better the longer tournament went was Wijnaldum. He's a proper all round midfielder, capable of playing different roles to suit the team make-up. I thought he was superb, tactically aware, disciplined, read situations well and picked his moments to get forward and support his forward(s) without leaving the Dutch exposed (or proving to have left them exposed when possession turned over quickly).

Although more of an attacking midfielder it was the other aspects of his all round midfield play that was most impressive and encouraging. He'd fit in well and cope with the element of flexibility Rodgers likes his players to have. He played deeper for the Dutch than I was expecting him to having always known him as a more attacking midfielder (38 goals and 18 assists in 110 matches for PSV) and it was his flexibility and adaptability that was pleasantly surprising.

Nevermind this "marquee" (shouldn't that be "marque" anyway) signing the media and some fans keeping harping on about, let's just get the right players that strengthen the overall unit and unity of the squad.   

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
Some seem to report it as (for example) "£20M", whereas others report it as "£17M with up to £3M in add-ons", depending on what agenda they're writing to.

yes, very true.

they always inflate, or deflate (when it suits their agenda).

Borini, for example, is probably a 10 or 11 million transfer, with an additional 2 or 3 million tagged on, dependent on performance.

strange one, the Borini one, as you mention earlier......why would the two clubs agree a deal if the lad was not kept in on the details (and found them acceptable).  Strange one.  Hope he does move on.  Not the level we need.  And decent potential money.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
yes, very true.

they always inflate, or deflate (when it suits their agenda).

Borini, for example, is probably a 10 or 11 million transfer, with an additional 2 or 3 million tagged on, dependent on performance.

strange one, the Borini one, as you mention earlier......why would the two clubs agree a deal if the lad was not kept in on the details (and found them acceptable).  Strange one.  Hope he does move on.  Not the level we need.  And decent potential money.

Maybe that's the way transfers are done, but as players have contracts (when it suits either party) you'd think that Borini would have been talked to by Rodgers and 'his situation' explained, likewise Poyet would have discussed the chances of a permanent move with Borini, as Poyet had obviously decided by the end of the season he wanted him permanently as the transfer talk started the moment the season finished.
We can't sell him and Sunderland can't buy him against his will, his contract with us would see to that, so why all the ongoing price and payment scheduling negotiations if no-one is the least bit enlighten as to what the player actually wants.

Without want to be either naive or cynical, I admire Borini's desire to try and fight for his place in the team/squad. We need players with that attitude, but as you say Dude, he's not of the standard required (or at least he's not yet proven himself to be) if we are to be a permanent top 3 finisher, title challenger and re-build our performance in the CL.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490450/TRANSFER-NEWS-Toure-s-move-collapses-Vorm-to-Tottenham-and-Can-stays-at-home

"Michel Vorm is set to swap Swansea for Tottenham this summer. The two clubs have reached an agreement over a £2.5million transfer fee."

£2.5M? I can't believe that's the case, and if it is, then either we've messed up on this one if the manager is intent on finding competition/replacement for Mignolet (Pepe Reina is another discussion for another day), or Huw Jenkins is a truly world class grudge holder seemingly being far happier to deal with Spurs and Levy than with us.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »
Apparently we've agreed to take Atletico's 20 year old right back Javier Manquillo on loan for 2 years with an option to buy for €6M, though whether that's at the end of the loan or at some/any point during it, I don't know.

Arsenal have been trying to get him all Summer but couldn't apparently get an agreement to buy, which is what they want.

So either Johnson is on his way with Flanno, Kelly and Manquillo competing, or Rodgers' isn't confident of getting a left back and therefore we'll need Flanno at left back, so cover/competition will be needed at right back, as it does anyway, if we're not to have to rely on Johnson.   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
What's the deal with Pogba? One good season, granted he was building towards it the previous season, absent at all times during the World Cup and he's worth £40M-£60M?

I really hope Rodgers doesn't fall for the new fangled trend of the "marquee signing" as the media are forever banging on about.

And despite all the media expressing the view that we haven't replaced Suarez, I've yet to see one example offered up of who that mystery player is, or the acknowledgement that if there was another option other than Suarez wouldn't Barca have taken it rather than have to take on the aircraft hold worth of baggage that comes with Luis?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »
Klopp rubbishes claims Hummels and Reus will leave Borussia Dortmund this summer

http://talksport.com/football/klopp-rubbishes-claims-hummels-and-reus-will-leave-borussia-dortmund-summer-140722103112

Hopefully this is true, as both players would seriously strengthen our rivals, especially the Mancs, who have yet to replace Ferdinand and Vidic and I really can't see us attracting Reus, especially after the demolition job Sahin did on his return to Dortmund.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
Serge Aurier, Toulouse's right back that we had been linked with (along with another 100+) could be on his way to PSG for circa €10M. With 6 goals and 7 assists in 34 La Ligue games, as an attacking right back he certainly made a greater contribution for Toulouse than Johnson, 0 goals, 3 assists and numerous mistakes leading to goals in29 PL matches, did for us.

Just how competent a defender he is is arguable, but if he's not going to help stop them, the best thing he could do is score and make them at the other end, and unlike Skrtel, he doesn't try to wipe them out with own goals. :D

I'm surprised actually that Rodgers hasn't seen fit to upgrade/replace Johnson with someone like him, knowing how he wants his full backs to join in attacks and create the width. It's not as though we need Johnson in order to meet any PL or CL English/homegrown quotas.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
Ok Manquillo looks a good loan on the left so with enrique and so maybe flanagan can nip off to the right and give johnson some competition....

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
Ok Manquillo looks a good loan on the left so with enrique and so maybe flanagan can nip off to the right and give johnson some competition....

Bart, Manquillo's a right back, but until we get another left back then Flanno will be needed à gauche.

If Manquillo's any good, and if we end up signing him then we'll be set up with two young right backs fighting it out for the next 10 years.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
Southampton steal march on Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal for Argentina star Marcos Rojo

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490707/Southampton-steal-march-on-Man-Utd-Liverpool-and-Arsenal-for-Argentina-star-Marcos-Rojo

So who are we going to spend £25M on next Summer, Rojo from Southampton or Ben Davies from Spurs?  ;D

Southampton are putting together a handy squad, if the players gel, and Koeman 'gets' the league.

Spurs seem to be going down the same route as us and buying players that aren't the biggest names but who will probably make the whole stronger than the sum. If Pochettino does for Spurs what he did for Southampton then they could challenge for fourth.

I think there'll be a good scrap for the UEFA Cup spot too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »
It wouldn't hurt for us to look at Virgil van Dijk at Celtic if the Lovren deal doesn't happen. From everything I've read and the bit I've seen, he could be an excellent, difference making centre half. European experience too.

From: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/celtic-4-0-kr-reykjavik-hoops-3897700

"Both defender Virgil Van Dijk and striker Teemu Pukki helped themselves to braces to set up a clash with St Patrick's Athletic or Legia Warsaw

Handy having a centre half that scores goals.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I've had NO contact with Juventus! Liverpool handed boost in Xherdan Shaqiri pursuit

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490890/I-ve-had-NO-contact-with-Juventus-Liverpool-handed-boost-in-Xherdan-Shaqiri-pursuit

If there was (semi) serious interest in Shaqiri I'd imagine that ended when we signed Markovic.

It would be great to have that sort of depth, choice and quality in the squad, but once Remy is confirmed then surely we have to turn all our attention to the defensive aspect of the team and squad.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
Juventus turn to Liverpool's Fabio Borini after Chelsea demand £31m for Romelu Lukaku

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390478/Juventus-turn-to-Liverpool-s-Fabio-Borini-after-Chelsea-demand-31m-for-Romelu-Lukaku

If Juve come asking for a loan deal for Borini we ought to take a leaf out of Chelsea's book - no loan, £14M or nothing. Of course, they could pay a £14M loan fee if they wished. Loaning him out is pointless as his value is reducing (despite Sunderland's bid) and if he's likely to be regularly used for only 2 months until Morata is fit, it won't even benefit us with him playing regular football and being in 'the shop window'.