December 02, 2020, 09:35:39 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82872 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Now we're being linked with Arturo Vidal.  It's hardly the manager's m.o but then most journos are too stupid to realise that.

There's more chance of Luis re-signing for £25M.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
Now we're being linked with Arturo Vidal.  It's hardly the manager's m.o but then most journos are too stupid to realise that.

There's more chance of Luis re-signing for £25M.

Now "we've" decided against it, quelle surprise:

Liverpool ditch plans to stun Man Utd with Marco Reus, Arturo Vidal and Paul Pogba bids

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390657/Liverpool-ditch-plans-to-stun-Man-Utd-with-Marco-Reus-Arturo-Vidal-and-Paul-Pogba-bids

However, the manager's comments are reassuring:

"He said: You only spend the money if the players are there. The good thing with the owners is the money is there if the right players are available.

What we can't do is spend for the sake of it. The players we've brought in were players we wanted anyway.

It was well documented our squad last year was too thin so we needed to bring in players to get that level and depth up.

Our signings are strategic signings. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team, but of course we want them to make a contribution.

If that means we do not spend all the money or the net spend is the same, then so be it.

The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person.

I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best they can be.
"

Hopefully he keeps faith with those sentiments and doesn't go for Bertrand now we've lost Davies (and Vorm) to Spurs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:08:50 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Arsenal launch £8m bid to beat Liverpool and Chelsea to Brazilian starlet Roberto Firmino

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/491282/Arsenal-launch-8m-bid-to-beat-Liverpool-and-Chelsea-to-Brazilian-starlet-Roberto-Firmino

As we need goals, and we need more goals and creativity from midfield, I've said it before that we should be serious about Firmino.

16 goals, 12 assists and 70 chances created in 33 Bundesliga matches.

An excellent write up:

http://www.liverpoolroom.com/tag/firmino/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:18:37 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »
Dejan Lovren on brink of £20million move to Liverpool from Southampton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2705883/Dejan-Lovren-brink-20million-Liverpool-Southampton.html

A year and £11.5M late, but better than never I suppose, meanwhile Southampton will probably sign next Summer's target, Virgil van Dijk, from Celtic. Koeman will know him well from the Dutch league and as a non too xshabi defender himself, I'd trust his judgement.

That's if Newcastle or Sevilla don't get there first.

Let's just save ourselves the ignominy and cash, of course, by signing him now. I trust Southampton's and Newcastle's scouts, and Sevilla's for that matter, far more than our's.  8)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:35:25 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »
Allegedly, we're being linked with Sam Byram of Leeds. I've nothing against players from lower leagues but do we need another right back?

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/swansea-join-liverpool-in-the-race-for-leeds-united-defender-sam-byram/

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sam-byram/leistungsdaten/spieler/236953

I'd rather see how Kelly's body holds up, then there's Flanno. Put Johnson on the left where he's seemingly better, I guess because he has to focus a lot more, see how Enrique goes too, and keep searching with a view to January.
I'd rather we held off and bought the requisite quality than bought in haste and desperation and ended up with Bertrand. We could always scout the Newcastle and Southampton scouts if all else fails.  ;D 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
I wonder if we've explored the chances of getting Gael Clichy, seeing as he's still behind Kolarov in City's left back pecking order.

He'd be a better option than Bertrand, surely.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
Arsene Wenger REFUSES to guarantee Szczesny first-choice Arsenal spot over Ospina

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/491987/Arsene-Wenger-REFUSES-to-guarantee-Szczesny-first-choice-Arsenal-spot-over-Ospina

Competition for places = focused minds, consistently higher performances.

If not, someone more deserving takes your place. It's what Mignolet needs, it's what Pepe's needed at times in the past - and now they both have it if Rodgers can just put "that letter" behind him for the benefit of the team.

Club. no. than. person. bigger. one. the. is.  It used to be the Anfield Way, and could be again. It's also known as pragmatism.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »
Arsenal set to beat Liverpool in £16m bid for Southampton ace Calum Chambers

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/492137/Arsenal-set-to-beat-Liverpool-in-16m-bid-for-Southampton-ace-Calum-Chambers

Were we even in for him? I hadn't realised that a first choice right back was even a priority.

That's not the main point though. Again it shows how ridiculously overpriced English players are.

Take Mathieu Debuchy. Full French international, with 25 caps (though obviously not quite that many when Newcastle signed him).  231 appearances in the French league, plus an additional 18 in the CL and a further 8 in the UEFA Cup. Cost £5.5M
Arsenal only paid £13M for him after a further 43 appearances in the PL. Age 28 in the prime of his career.

So how can Calum Chambers with 0 international caps at 1st team level or even U-21 level, a mere 22 appearances in the PL, no European football of any kind, not even an FA Cup appearance be worth £16M, even though he is 19?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
Shaqiri's rumoured to be on the way because of Lallana's short term injury.

When are we getting the defence sorted out? You know, the thing that cost us the title.

What's Rodgers' plan to deal with our porous defence? Aim to make it 8-3 instead of 6-3?

We may have 3 right backs at the club with another out on loan, and 6 centre backs (until Ilori goes out on loan), but it's the quality, not the quantity that's the problem.

Has the manager finally managed to add a chaptor entitled "defence" to his dossier?

I know old age makes you impatient but now Rodgers is in the same decade as me I want him to develop that impatience with and urgency to correct our defence.  ;D

Now who's moved my pension book?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Divock Origi agrees five-year Liverpool deal after passing medical on Friday

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/391107/Divock-Origi-agrees-five-year-Liverpool-deal-after-passing-medical-on-Friday

Great stuff, another signing to make our defensive woes a thing of the past.

No defence, no need to worry about it working or it.

Gee, Brendan's a crafty bugger.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »

When are we getting the defence sorted out? You know, the thing that cost us the title.

What's Rodgers' plan to deal with our porous defence? Aim to make it 8-3 instead of 6-3?

We may have 3 right backs at the club with another out on loan, and 6 centre backs (until Ilori goes out on loan), but it's the quality, not the quantity that's the problem.

Has the manager finally managed to add a chaptor entitled "defence" to his dossier?

I know old age makes you impatient but now Rodgers is in the same decade as me I want him to develop that impatience with and urgency to correct our defence.  ;D

Now who's moved my pension book?

Or Nicolas Gaitan of Benfica, though apparently so are Monaco, who will hopefully blow us out of the water.

If Rodgers really is intent on getting another wide left or 'can play wide left' player (Shaqiri), here's another option, who wouldn't break the bank, unlike the other two, and who's return stands up well in comparison.

I give you Jean-Paul Boëtius of Feyenoord.

Gaitan  P26 G4 A5
Shaqiri P17 G6 A2
Boëtius P29 G10 A10

Very two footed, which is always handy, age 20, so 2 years younger than Shaqiri and 6 younger than Gaitan, and would cost half (or even less) than the other two, Gaitan being probably at least half again as expensive as Shaqiri.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »

When are we getting the defence sorted out?

defence?  Who needs a defence.

the master-plan involves Liverpool buying up all of Europe's wingers.

If zwe have all the widemen, zwe will blitzkreig the opposition.....and we do not need a defence.

I think we will sub our two first half wingers, for two fresh wingers for the second 45 minutes.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2014, 05:41:12 AM »
Why is Gerrard being offered a new 2 year contract, supposedly at 150 grand per week?

The 34 year old is under contract til the end of June 2015..........so why the feck we do need to be offering at this point, a then 35 year old a new extravagant deal?

He's going to be the most expensive tea maker in the history of the club.

He shot our title hopes apart in May, with his lunacy against Chelsea.

And as captain, helped throw away a three goal lead at Palace.

He never was a sweeper, nor will he ever be a sweeper.

What exactly does the lad have to do, before the emperor is seen to have no clothes.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
Why is Gerrard being offered a new 2 year contract, supposedly at 150 grand per week?

The 34 year old is under contract til the end of June 2015..........so why the feck we do need to be offering at this point, a then 35 year old a new extravagant deal?

He's going to be the most expensive tea maker in the history of the club.

He shot our title hopes apart in May, with his lunacy against Chelsea.

And as captain, helped throw away a three goal lead at Palace.

He never was a sweeper, nor will he ever be a sweeper.

What exactly does the lad have to do, before the emperor is seen to have no clothes.

Not having a pop at the manager here, but does he genuinely believe in Gerrard, or does he think he needs to keep the fans on side and this is the best way of doing it, or even not cause a potential riff?

I find it hard to believe he is now/still the best option we can find for the holding/deep lying playmaker role.

At this stage of his career, age and with his injury record, he should be on a rolling 1 year contract with the club holding the sole right over the decision/conditions of renewal or not.

I know there's a sense of 'Liverpool without Gerrard' would feel wrong to some and scary to others, which is understandable if you've not experienced teams without previous iconic players leaving.

Watching John Barnes shuffle around as a deep lying midfielder in Roy Evans' team was a sad sight after the player he'd been. Him moving to Newcastle was a relief, likewise Tommy Smith moving to Swansea.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
Barcelona weigh up £12m bid for Liverpool's Daniel Agger as La Liga side seek to strengthen defence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/transfernews/article-2707274/Barcelona-weigh-12m-bid-Liverpools-Daniel-Agger-La-Liga-seek-strengthen-defence.html

Bayern Munich target Liverpool's Pepe Reina as German champions search for back-up keeper

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bayern-munich-target-liverpools-pepe-3919680

So two players deemed surplus are wanted by two of Europe's biggest clubs.

I understand manager's seem to want 'their own players', but by definition all players are "your's" as you are their manager and that 'ideal' is a very tricky balancing act to pull off correctly.