December 02, 2020, 08:58:49 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82849 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »
Liverpool and Tottenham on Wilfried Bony alert with Swansea set to ditch £19million release clause

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tottenham-wilfried-bony-alert-3991655

Swap deal for Borini? It worked for Spurs with Gylfi Sigurdsson.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2014, 01:43:17 AM »
Alberto Moreno nears Liverpool move after Premier League side agree £16m transfer fee with Spain international's club Sevilla

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2716110/Alberto-Moreno-nears-Liverpool-Premier-League-agree-16m-transfer-fee-Spain-international-s-club-Sevilla.html

£14M our valuation compared to their's of £20M, and we meet on our side of the middle at £16M. Fair play to Ayre on this one but £16M is still a lot.

Maybe we should have gone for his potential replacement, Jefferson Nascimento, instead.  ;D

Jefferson Nascimento  2 goals and 6 assists in 26 games for Sporting Lisbon, valued at around £4M, and Rodgers gets his Brazilian full back.

Alberto Moreno 3 goals, 0 assists in 29 games.

The Brazilian it is then.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
Alberto Moreno ready to push through Liverpool move by accepting reduced wages

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/495823/Alberto-Moreno-ready-to-push-through-Liverpool-move-by-accepting-reduced-wages

If true, then what a refreshing change. I'd imagine even a 'reduced' salary would still see him increase his income over what he's receiving at the moment.

He needs to have a word with Pepe. Apparently he's  still expecting any new club to match his Liverpool salary, which is why he wants us to terminate his contract, so any new club won't have a transfer fee to find and can therefore give him it in wages instead. That's fine for him as he'll still get paid over the next two years anyway by his new club, but we have to forego a fee.
Either he drops his wage demands of any new club, or he could buy himself out of his contract if he's that desperate to leave and still place himself in a position where his new club can afford his wage demands.

It's ridiculous the salaries PL players get when compared to equal or better players in all the other leagues. Clubs have made a rod for their own back and should tell the player's agent to "do one", when he comes in demanding a much higher salary than his 'client' could get in Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga and other leagues throughout Europe.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Liverpool preparing opening offer for £16m-rated Inter star Mauro Icardi

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/392834/Liverpool-preparing-opening-offer-for-16m-rated-Inter-star-Mauro-Icardi

Icardi 20113/14: 22 games 9 goals 2 assists

Borini 2011/12: 24 games 9 goals 0 assists

Borini mk2?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2014, 07:14:09 PM »
With Pepe looking like he's off to Bayern for peanuts, I can't understand why we weren't interested in Forest's Karl Darlow. Instead he's gone to Newcastle, although he'll be loaned back for the season (maybe that's the reason) for a real bargain price (along with Jamaal Lascelles). It's not like he'll be an automatic number 1 with Kruhl there, and there's little or difference in the challenge he'd face up against Mignolet than Kruhl.

He would be a huge upgrade on Jones, in fact I don't know why we didn't look to include Brad Jones in the deal.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
Liverpool to sell £4m goalkeeper Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/495979/Liverpool-SELL-4m-goalkeeper-Pepe-Reina-to-Bayern-Munich

It's odd how certain top teams and managers (have) place(d) their faith in him, yet Rodgers doesn't see fit to do so.

Brad. Jones.  :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
Liverpool target Javier Manquillo snapped ‘after undergoing medical’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/05/liverpool-target-javier-manquillo-snapped-after-undergoing-medical-4822480/

It just made laugh when I read the headline. Shows how tough our medicals must be if he 'snapped' after it.
It's a good job he didn't 'snap' before it.

Maybe Remy's problem was that we broke him during the medical, so having been 'snapped', he couldn't complete it.

:D   :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
Trevor Francis' option has been all over everywhere today, and he is typical of everything that's been said about Suarez's "replacement".

" If they get the left-back Alberto Moreno then I think that’s going to cost close to £20 million and that will take the spending up to £110million and £10million of that was spent on Divock Origi who has gone back on loan to Lille,” said Francis.

“So forget the young Belgian player for the moment, there’s £100million spent and only £4million put aside for a striker, that being Lambert.

“I just think that somewhere along the line the balance is not right. He needed a £30 milion striker. Don’t ask me who because that’s not my job – that’s why he is in the job and why he has got scouts all over the world looking to try to bring somebody in.

At least he didn't do the normal thing of throwing out Cavani, Falcao or Benzema without considering whether they're suitable and fit in with the existing players and most importantly Sturridge.

He took and even easier way out - "Don’t ask me who because that’s not my job".

Very convenient. Anyone can say we need to replace Suarez, but no one has yet come up with a viable, available, affordable alternative. That's because there really isn't one, is there.

I think Rodgers has approached it the only way possible by trying to replace 'the effect' and 'the nature of his contribution', as well as leaving us not relying on the availability and form of one or two players to provide the majority of goals, and also making us hopefully harder to shut out, as there are more goal options within the team that the opposition would have to negate and other options off the bench.

As an ex manager himself, the likes of Francis know the score, know the difficulties of bringing the requisite player(s) in no matter the level of football you're playing and standard of player you need.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 06, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »
It looks like Arsenal are sniffing around Agger to replace Vermaelen, but we need to take a leaf out of their very own book and refuse to sell to a domestic rival unless something over £25M is being offered, which it won't be, obviously.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
Sunderland target Fabio Borini set to announce Liverpool future TODAY

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/392962/Sunderland-target-Fabio-Borini-set-to-announce-Liverpool-future-TODAY

Still waiting to hear.

" Borini is keen on playing Champions League football with the Reds, and fancies his chances of more regular game time following the sale of star striker Luis Suarez. "

Just because we're in the CL it doesn't mean that Borini will get a chance to play CL football. He may experience the travelling and sample the atmosphere from the bench or even the stand, but there's no guarantee he'll have any more chance of playing CL football with us, than with Sunderland.

" The Merseysiders are keen on selling Borini, who has endured an injury-ravaged 24 months at the club since his £9m arrival in 2012. "

It makes you wonder whether Rodgers has actually talked to Borini and explained the situation. It certainly hasn't been spelled out and demonstrated to him like, for example, it had/has been to Pepe.
Then again, Pepe is part of the 'old guard' and not a Rodgers' signing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Conor Coady has sign permanently for Huddersfield Town for around £500K, or less than a month of Gerrard's salary. Hopefully we've got some add-ons inserted  on top, plus a cheap buy back clause and a sell-on clause.

Inserting a sell-on clause should be standard practice in all sales of players under 28. We've been on the receiving end (in a bad way, not us receiving payments) enough times, so it's about time we started to feel some benefit as well as the downside.

I also say a cheap buy back clause, because if he establishes himself in the Championship, there's always the chance of buying him back as a squad player, especially depending on Gerrard's and Lucas' situation come next Summer. Also we could always sell him on again making a larger amount than the £500K we've received from Huddersfield.

Arsenal did something similar with Carlos Vela (I'm not for a minute saying Coady will have the same effect at Huddersfield as Vela has had at Real Sociedad).
They retained a buy-back clause set at £3.5M and somehow retained a 50% rights on Vela. They 'sold' the buy back clause to Sociedad for £12M this Summer so that Vela is now 100% a Sociedad player. 

We need to start making further money on players we've sold through sell-on clauses. Even if it just raises enough to cover a sell-on fee we have to pay to another club when we sell a player, it's at least something.

Ivan Gazidis is far more 'creative' in his transfer dealings than Ayre (and maybe the owners) are, and as Gazidis is an American, so he's not grown up with 'football' and all it's ways, he still manages to punch above his weight with his transfer dealings.

So what's Ayre's excuse. There. isn't. one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:08 PM »
One of the things we should have done this Summer was to change goal keeping coach. I don't think it's any coincidence that Reina's form tailed off after Xavi Valero left, and that Mignolet is hardly as convincing as the reputation he built at Sunderland would suggest.

It's a shame that Xavi Valero is with Benitez at Napoli, but we need an upgrade on John Achterberg.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 06, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Liverpool transfers: Tearful Daniel Agger has BEGGED boss Brendan Rodgers to sell him

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-tearful-daniel-agger-4002143

If Rodgers really does have to sell him, then make sure it's not to a domestic rival.

" As things stand, the player is not in Rodgers’ plans for the start of the new season. "

Yet Kolo Toure is. Why?

Just get someone in to deal with the defensive aspect of the team, as Rodgers seems neither capable or interested in it.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »
Would throw the kitchen sink to get Marco Reus....

Marco Reus could join Liverpool or Manchester United for just £19.8million after details of his release clause were leaked.

The highly-rated Germany forward has Europe's top clubs circling after two successful years at Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Liverpool are known admirers but it was widely believed that Reus would command a fee closer to £30m, pricing the Reds out of any move. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2717782/Marco-Reus-boost-Liverpool-Manchester-United-German-star-available-20m.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »
Would throw the kitchen sink to get Marco Reus....

Marco Reus could join Liverpool or Manchester United for just £19.8million after details of his release clause were leaked.

The highly-rated Germany forward has Europe's top clubs circling after two successful years at Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Liverpool are known admirers but it was widely believed that Reus would command a fee closer to £30m, pricing the Reds out of any move. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2717782/Marco-Reus-boost-Liverpool-Manchester-United-German-star-available-20m.html

If we couldn't afford the £30M then it would be incredibly disappointing, after the size of fees we've paid for Lallana and Markovic.

16 goals and 14 assists in the Bundesliga in 30 games and 5 goals and 5 assists in 9 CL games.

Even if we've only two strikers as such, with players like Reus he's as good as a striker with his return, and with the likes of Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho all interchanging and the front 3/4 being so fluid and interchangeable during a move and the course of a game, we wouldn't be playing to ultimately create chances for a striker anyway.

I hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket aiming for Remy to be the third striker, and flexible member of the front three/four, and now we're faced with settling for an out and out striker, who unlike Suarez/Sturridge, doesn't get involved in the build up or chance creation for others and therefore we're faced with a single attacking focal point, making it easier to defend against, and lessening Sturridge's potential overall effectiveness.