December 05, 2020, 11:33:56 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83090 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
Apparently Chelsea are looking at Remy with Dogbra picking up an injury in pre-season.

There's something not sitting quite right about the 'failed medical' as it doesn't seem to put other teams off looking at him.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
All the papers saying we are in talks with Eto'o!

I'd be down with that for a six months - a year.

Sterling scored as many as him last season. He's a parody of himself, and I want us to have nothing to do with that mercenary. He can find someone else to be his pension plan.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
Sterling scored as many as him last season. He's a parody of himself, and I want us to have nothing to do with that mercenary. He can find someone else to be his pension plan.

Hi folks! Back after a long and unusually warm summer. Partly because I spent 3 weeks in Tanzania, partly because once in a while we get a 30 degrees plus summer up here in the north.

Anyroad, I couldn't agree more with you tes - signing Eto'o would be the antithesis of sending a signal of intent. I'd rather we relied on my fellow countryman Pettersson to come in.

It's all and well buildning a team that doesn't rely on any one player - but reality will catch up with Rodgers sooner or later and he'll be forced to realise the importance of having a top top player up front. Sturridge, IMHO, ain't ready to lead the team for another season or two. Additionally, his proness to injury is a major concern.

I don't know how you lot feel but regardless of some brilliant spells in the pre-season (and some not so brilliant) I have the feeling it's 2002/2010 all over again. Not optimistic at all about this season.

Fair enough we were always gonna have to go for quantity in this window but not making a serious effort to sign either of Falcao, Cavani, Lavezzi, Icardi or Jovetic (yes, you heard me right) is hard to take.

I hope I'll spend next summer eating humble pie from huge bowls, but if we don't get that marquee-signing in last season will prove a one off.

Rant over.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Apparently Chelsea are looking at Remy with Dogbra picking up an injury in pre-season.

There's something not sitting quite right about the 'failed medical' as it doesn't seem to put other teams off looking at him.

Me and a mate of mine contemplated the possibility his test results came back positive for some kind of illegal drug. If that's the case I totally understand why we pulled the plug.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
Would Cavani and Falcao do better than Sturridge in the premier league? I doubt it.

Seriously I'm not taking the p**s. Cavani isn't a better finisher than Sturridge - although is overall game is a notch above - but he is older. Falcao is a better finisher but overall his game is way below Sturridge.

Plus both would be on £200,000 p/w plus for us and would cost above £35m in transfer fee alone. So basically as package deal of £60m plus for either of them.

I agree Martin we do need an additional forward but where we differ in thinking is that you think we need that another top, top player up front.

I think we need another top, top player that can player in one of the three main attacking role behind/besides the striker.

Someone with pace and dribbling ability imo that would complement the rest of the forward line.

I do think we need another striker though but I'd be thinking like Rodgers is thinking in this regard. WE MUST remember that Rodgers original plan was to play one up front with the mobility, speed etc of the 3 behind. But he was handed the cards dealt to him with Sturridge and Suarez and played both up front together - but usually his plans usually are around one main striker up front.

So yes someone in the ilk of Eto'o who can do a job for us for a year whilst we have another search for a striker to compete/back up Sturridge is what I see happening.

Whether we get that other player who I'd like to see come in to compete for the 3 behind/besides Sturridge is something that I don't know.

Players on the striker front I'd like to see us target in the winter or next summer though are Lacazette, Kruse, Destro, Kokorin, Roux, Rondon, Immobile, Seferovic and players of that ilk who would fit the Rodgers mould of young, hungry, motivated players that are on an upward curve and can come into our squad and integrate with the rest of the attack.

Not bloated, unmotivated, cash hungry players like Falcao, Cavani etc who'd be on £200,000 p/w plus and may not fit the system. No I am not a hypocrite and yes Eto'o would also fit into that category as well. Big difference is we will not pay £35m plus for him and offer him £200,000 p/w.

Plus remember we have Origi who is coming back next year so any plans have to include him in the long term.

I think as a squad and what we've added so far depth wise in certain areas we've done well. Once we get a left back - hopefully anyway  :D then our defence improves tremendously. Lovren looks a very good signing, Sakho has another year under his belt, Manquillo looks an exciting prospect. Concerns are obviously Johnson, Skrtel and Agger.

Can looks to have lots of energy and has good pressing skills. Gerrard with no england duty should have enough time to deal with injuries/tiredness. Lucas may or may not go but as cover for Gerrard/Can he is fine.

Lallana and Markovic are exciting signings. Sterling and Coutinho will keep on improving. Henderson and Allen will be the lynchpins for the midfield.

Sturridge can and will improve also. Lambert can be hopefully an effective signing. Borini back too so lets see how he does - if he stays.

So I am surprisingly quite optimistic but realistic at the same time  :D For me Chelsea have the best defence and best defensive mids so have that solidity to build around. Plus their attacking talent and Costa up front, for me they are the favourites.

However the top 6/7 teams will all compete hard for a top 4 place so it won't be easy to remain in the top 4 but we do have the quality to have another season challenging for the league and top 4.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 13, 2014, 01:57:14 AM »
I hope I'll spend next summer eating humble pie from huge bowls, but if we don't get that marquee-signing in last season will prove a one off.

Rant over.

I don't think we need or want 'marque' signings. We need a unit and unity, players hungry for success, not cash. Sturridge may not seem like a glamour signing the likes of Cavani or Falcao, but his strike rate is superb and not only that, he links so well with Coutinho and Sterling and I think we'll see each individually contributing towards the three of them developing this season, both collectively and individually.

Welcome back, Martin. I don't see us necessarily challenging for the title as closely as we did last season, but to finish in the top four, preferably top three would again signify progress, and solidity and sustainability are the true measures of progress. To not implode and tumble out of the places for European football would be an improvement and progress on the previous times we've finished 2nd.

When you look at the other top teams there isn't a single one who has a player as valuable to them as Suarez was to us. Any time losing him would potentially, at least initially, take a step back, but the focus has been put on spreading the goals around and it's good not to rely on the fitness, form and availability on just one or two individuals. The pressure to score is now shared amongst more players, and it should make us harder to set up against as there isn't the same focus on one or two players that we had last season. Games like the Chelsea one should end up as a different proposition and that game showed how you can flounder when pinning your hopes on one or two players.

The other teams have been able to 'top up' their squads with just one or two strategic buys, where as it was hard enough to add depth whilst not diluting the quality because of the need for quantity, without replacing one of the very best players in the world. Suarez is unique almost in what he does and how he does it and contrast his team ethic and sheer work rate with Messi walking back after an attack breaks down and Ronaldo's not far behind Messi for his lack of team ethic either.

All of the signings, probably with the exception of Lambert, can have an argument made for them being a starting player and there aren't really any obvious squad players like Aspas, and to a lesser extent Toure, like last Summer.

The left back position is still a worry and even if we do get Moreno he's not an obvious solution from the off.

There isn't a single striker out there we could replace Suarez with, without potentially taking a lot away from Sturridge and potentially have to alter the way we play to a large degree.

Chelsea managed to come close last season without a regular supply of goals from any part of their attack, and whilst they've obviously added Costa they've lost Lampard and the return of The Drog will make things interesting. Arsenal have added quality, but a fit Ramsey will be the biggest difference maker.

It should be the most interesting and potentially competitive season since Division 1 morphed into the PL. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 13, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »
We've given Kelly to Crystal Pulis for a mere £1.5M. Hopefully we inserted a 50% sell on clause for being so generous.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
We've given Kelly to Crystal Pulis for a mere £1.5M. Hopefully we inserted a 50% sell on clause for being so generous.

1.5 million is a disgrace for Kelly, but at least we got Moreno for 12 mil.

Brendan Rodgers made signing a left-back his priority earlier this summer and singled out the 22-year-old as his number one target.

Sevilla insisted that Moreno was going nowhere unless their 20 million euro asking price was met with manager Unai Emery insisting on Monday that he would play in the UEFA Super Cup against Real Madrid.

However, Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre managed to thrash out a deal for Moreno in Cardiff before the game that Real won 2-0, and the player was withdrawn from the side.

The Spain international, who came through his home-town club’s youth system, is now set to undergo a medical at Anfield and discuss personal terms.

A statement on the Liverpool club website read: "Liverpool can confirm they have reached an agreement with Sevilla for the transfer of Spain international full-back Alberto Moreno.

"The Reds will proceed with the formalities of finalising the deal for the 22-year-old over the coming days and will make no further announcement until it is complete."

There were emotional scenes on Tuesday night in Cardiff after the Super Cup among the Sevilla players and staff who were hugging a tearful Moreno on the pitch.

Sevilla coach Emery insisted Moreno would leave with the club's blessing and said: "We didn't have any clear expectation (about the transfer being completed), but it was in our minds.

"This has been in the offing for a month and a half or two. We were aware of the need to take him out of the squad. And we were in England and close to the teams who are interested in Alberto. Maybe decisions are speeding up because we are getting towards the end of the transfer window (on August 31).

"We want to wish all the best to Alberto Moreno and we need to continue with our path. He's a player we can no longer count on."

Liverpool have agreed a £12million deal to sign long-term transfer target Sevilla defender Alberto Moreno.

http://www.football365.com/liverpool/9419167/Liverpool-Finally-Agree-A-Price-For-Alberto-Moreno

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Some are saying Suso is part of the Moreno deal, whether on loan or permanently. I think Suso will go the way of Dani Pacheco, in that he was good for a certain age at a certain age, but then never really pushes on to be good enough to stay in and contribute to the first team squad.

It's hard to see where he'd get in the team and ahead of who, despite promising cameos.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
Sunderland boss Poyet confident of landing Liverpool striker Borini within 48 hours

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/394239/Sunderland-boss-Poyet-confident-of-landing-Liverpool-striker-Borini-within-48-hours

I'd rather Borini stayed if it avoided Eto'o, his ego, lack of interest and mercenary wage demands. Sorry Edward, but he guy just lives off his past reputation far too much for me liking.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
Everton set to pounce as Samuel Eto'o REJECTS Liverpool move

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/498937/Everton-set-to-pounce-as-Samuel-Eto-o-REJECTS-Liverpool-move

Please make it happen. I may even find religion if it does.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Liverpool looking to beat Man Utd to Alex Song after wrapping up Alberto Moreno move

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/498933/Liverpool-looking-to-beat-Man-Utd-to-Alex-Song-after-wrapping-up-Alberto-Moreno-move

I'd be sorry to see Lucas head off to Napoli, but post injuries, maybe Serie A will be better for him, and Alex Song would be a great replacement.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
An alternative to Song could be Stéphane Mbia, who was on loan at Sevilla last season, so has European experience and is available for £0, a freebie, having been released by QPR at the end of his contract.

Despite being a defensive midfielder he scored 3 and had assists in 20 La Liga matches, plus 2 goals in 8 Europa league appearances.
Arsenal are supposedly looking to hook him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
According to one paper:

Liverpool interested in signing former Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi despite Fiorentina's £28m release clause

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2724817/Liverpool-interested-signing-former-Manchester-United-striker-Giuseppe-Rossi-despite-Fiorentina-s-28m-release-clause.html

However:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/499277/Ex-Man-Utd-forward-Rossi-will-NOT-replace-Suarez-at-Liverpool-agent

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/499277/Ex-Man-Utd-forward-Rossi-will-NOT-replace-Suarez-at-Liverpool-agent

" LIVERPOOL are not interested in signing Fiorentina forward Giuseppe Rossi this summer, according to his agent.

"There is nothing between Rossi and Liverpool,” Andrea Pastorello said
"

If you exclude being an ex-Manc and having an injury record that makes Degen look like an ever-present, then maybe there is nothing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
And the bad news keeps on coming:

Liverpool boost as Ezequiel Lavezzi REJECTS new PSG contract

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/499263/Liverpool-boost-as-Ezequiel-Lavezzi-REJECTS-new-PSG-contract

Either on loan with no loan fee and PSG doing what we do when we loan our players out abroad, paying 75% of his salary, or on a two year, pay as you score or assist based contract.

I'd rather try a cheeky bid for Javier Hernández Balcázar than either Rossi or Lavezzi.  :o