December 02, 2020, 09:02:31 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82850 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #405 on: August 27, 2014, 01:13:09 PM »
Arbeloa wants Real exit

http://www.soccernews.com/arbeloa-wants-real-exit/153503/

If it's possible we really should do everything we can to get him. He may be older than Johnson but he relies on nothing physical which will deteriorate with age. We wouldn't be forced to throw Flanno or Manquillo in to certain matches they'd probably be better off learning from the sidelines.
He's unlikely to stand in the way of the development of either, but he'd bring a solidity and level of experience (one that he'd actually utilise, until Johnson), CL experience, and would provide an older head, of which we are running low on numbers, especially if Agger and Lucas leave too.

Any player who can keep Messi in his pocket all game whilst playing out of position.................
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Apparently we've turned down a loan offer from Milan for Borini. I'd prefer we kept him as another option rather than let him go out on loan again.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
Apparently we've turned down a loan offer from Milan for Borini. I'd prefer we kept him as another option rather than let him go out on loan again.

The million dollar question though is, why would he accept going out on loan again rather than being sold to Sunderland? I don't get it.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
The million dollar question though is, why would he accept going out on loan again rather than being sold to Sunderland? I don't get it.

I think the thing is that he either wants to stay and try to prove himself here, or if he is to leave, then he wants to go back to Italy, which is perfectly understandable. Sunderland he probably sees as another relegation fight and little to no chance of ever playing European football. He'll also have one eye on trying to get into the Italian squad again for the qualifiers and finals of Euro 2016.

Play him at right back, he'd not fail for a lack of effort.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 27, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
Kristoffer Peterson leaves Liverpool for FC Utrecht

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/kristoffer-peterson-leaves-liverpool-fc-7680052

6 goals in 15 games for the U-21s last season. I hope we've inserted a healthy sell-on clause in there. Somehow I doubt it.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
I think the thing is that he either wants to stay and try to prove himself here, or if he is to leave, then he wants to go back to Italy, which is perfectly understandable. Sunderland he probably sees as another relegation fight and little to no chance of ever playing European football. He'll also have one eye on trying to get into the Italian squad again for the qualifiers and finals of Euro 2016.

Play him at right back, he'd not fail for a lack of effort.  ;D

That makes total sense. Can't see him make on the highest level though.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Can't see him make on the highest level though.

Me neither, which is a shame. I like the guy, he seems a superb professional and has done so since arriving at a young age, and he gives 100% when called upon on.

We've not heard his opinions through the media, unlike Agger, which is now becoming tres tiresome.

Borini to fire us to a League Cup semi-final.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
We've given Kelly to Crystal Pulis for a mere £1.5M. Hopefully we inserted a 50% sell on clause for being so generous.

I really feel for the guy. Days after leaving we're down to one fit right back, a lad so young it makes Kelly seem like a veteran, the manager he signed for departs the day after he signs and to cap it all his new manager is Neil Wazzock.

By all accounts he's been excellent in his first two games for Palace.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
According to t'media we're still poised to sign Alex Song. We've been 'poised' for so long now Ayre must be suffering terribly with cramp.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Liverpool handed £4.3m cut-price deal for Colombia starlet Eder Balanta

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/504207/Liverpool-handed-4-3m-cut-price-deal-for-Colombia-starlet-Eder-Balanta

As we already have three left sided centre halves, why would we want to replace Agger with another left sided centre half? Surely we need a right sided centre half to give the manager a real alternative to Skrtel.

If we're still buying, a true defensive midfield shield for the back four and proper competition/replacement for Mignolet have to be greater priorities than another centre back.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Liverpool among clubs to make late bid for Reading goalkeeper Alex McCarthy

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/liverpool-among-clubs-to-make-late-bid-for-reading-goalkeeper-alex-mccarthy/

So we're going to sign Reading's second choice goalkeeper to challenge Boro's former second choice goalkeeper to be the very definite second choice behind Mignolet?

We need someone to challenge Mignolet, not Jones. We need someone good enough to inspire the levels of performance from Mignolet that we need, and if not, replace Mignolet and produce those required levels himself.

Why does it just feel that anything related to the 'non-attacking' aspect of the game is given far less thought, standards are lower, less money proportionally is invested and it's almost like an irritation that has to be born than something addressed with interest, determination, foresight and farsightedness. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
Sorry but that is baloney.

You CANNOT have two No.1 GK's at your club.

Keepers are a different breed to outfield players. Both keepers have to be comfortable in their role(s) at the club. This is because more than any set of players at the club they work together the most in training, day in and day out.

The No.2 GK is such a difficult role at that you need a player that has the characteristics and attributes to fit in, provide good back up to the No.1, be able to work with him on a daily basis and to know and understand their role in the squad.

They also have to be reliable and dependable to come in if necessary and Jones has proven in big match situations (FA Cup semi against Everton) that he is more than capable of fulfilling this role.

You think Cech is going to stay at Chelsea? Chelsea made their decision in Courtois and will allow Cech to leave. They have Schwarzer then to back up Courtois.

Do Arsenal, City, Spurs, Man U have No.1's as back up? Do Barca or Real? Real had to sell Alves because they knew they couldn't have the same situation as last season with two No.1 GK's on their books. Bayern signed Reina as a No.2 because Reina ACCEPTED this unlike were he to remain here he wouldn't accept it.

Bascially what I am saying is that clubs have their No.1 and No.2 set in stone and have a No.2 that understands the nature of that role.

The No.2 should complement the No.1 at the club.

A friend of a friend is a goalkeeping coach at professional level (not in england) and when I ask him about having two No.1's instead of a No.1 and a No. 2 GK he told in detail why and I basically just wrote the jist of what he told me.

If you want to discuss Mignolet then that is another matter and certainly something I'd like to discuss however buying another No.1 - to compete and not replace him - will not work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:59:42 PM by Edward224 »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 29, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Sorry but that is baloney.

You CANNOT have two No.1 GK's at your club.

Keepers are a different breed to outfield players. Both keepers have to be comfortable in their role(s) at the club. This is because more than any set of players at the club they work together the most in training, day in and day out.

The No.2 GK is such a difficult role at that you need a player that has the characteristics and attributes to fit in, provide good back up to the No.1, be able to work with him on a daily basis and to know and understand their role in the squad.

They also have to be reliable and dependable to come in if necessary and Jones has proven in big match situations (FA Cup semi against Everton) that he is more than capable of fulfilling this role.

You think Cech is going to stay at Chelsea? Chelsea made their decision in Courtois and will allow Cech to leave. They have Schwarzer then to back up Courtois.

Do Arsenal, City, Spurs, Man U have No.1's as back up? Do Barca or Real? Real had to sell Alves because they knew they couldn't have the same situation as last season with two No.1 GK's on their books. Bayern signed Reina as a No.2 because Reina ACCEPTED this unlike were he to remain here he wouldn't accept it.

Bascially what I am saying is that clubs have their No.1 and No.2 set in stone and have a No.2 that understands the nature of that role.

The No.2 should complement the No.1 at the club.

A friend of a friend is a goalkeeping coach at professional level (not in england) and when I ask him about having two No.1's instead of a No.1 and a No. 2 GK he told in detail why and I basically just wrote the jist of what he told me.

If you want to discuss Mignolet then that is another matter and certainly something I'd like to discuss however buying another No.1 - to compete and not replace him - will not work.

Where's 2 x No1s come from? Look at the amount of clubs this Summer who have strengthened their goalkeeping department by improving on, shall we call it, the challenger for the No1 shirt.

So because goalkeepers train together there has to be a clear hierarchy, absolutely no threat from one on the other's position and they have to be bridge partners to boot.

Why can't their be real competition? It shouldn't hurt, if it does, then one of the keepers is at the wrong club.

Is Mignolet being pushed to perform? Hardly. Is that benefiting him or us? If it is, I'm not seeing it.

Yet again you oversimplify a point in order to offer the contrary viewpoint. You've no need to do it, mate. You can put together a perfectly good counter opinion without needing to oversimplify the original point you're arguing against.

You'd be happy with Jones coming in for a run of games? What about an extended period of injury? It happens. Straight red for upending someone for a penalty? 3 games. 9 points. Jones fills you with confidence?

Some of the examples you give are actually very good at illustrating my original concern. The gulf between Neuer and Reina isn't the same as between Mignolet and Jones, and the standards of the two in their respective hierarchical positions is higher than our pair.

Look at the new keeper at Real, alongside the existing one. Likewise Barca. Ditto Arsenal. All clubs that have purchased keepers this Summer. Add City to the list also.

We barely have 2 exactly equally matched players in any position, nevermind goalkeeper.

What's wrong with a goalkeeper having to maintain the required standard to keep his place? Why shouldn't he be looking over his shoulder. I accept your point about a number 2 understanding his role to a degree, but do you honestly think they have no desire to be no 1? That they're happy to be permanently below a glass ceiling irrespective of anything? If they were so accepting and meek they wouldn't have made it into the world of professional sport.

Apologies if I've distorted anything you said Edward, it was not my intention. As for your point about discussing whether Mignolet is the problem or the solution, it's a discussion that would be very interesting. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »

I think you'll probably already know what my feelings are regarding him.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Yeah I know!

However I am willing to give him this season to show improvement from last season and to really cement his place in this team.

So yeah for me this season is huge for Mignolet. But I'll give him this season and I'll tell you why.

As a shot stopper their are not many better in the league than him as the opening game proved. During pre season and the opening games he has shown that he wants to improve by trying to go forward more and be the "sweeper keeper" so to speak. That plus he is still quite young for a keeper so he can get better.

So that is why I'd give him this season to really show he belongs here and can be what we need in a goalkeeper. If there are still errors like there has been last season then it will be time to look at new No.1.

I imagine Brendan feels the same way as there has been rumours of his displeasure with Mignolet but it seems he will give him this season. Which I think is fair enough.

I see there Robinson has gone to QPR and they've loaned him to Huddersfield. Good luck to him. Ibe on loan at Derby is a very wise move for all parties. Will Lucas now leave for Napoli with them not being in CL?