August 23, 2019, 04:26:13 PM

Author Topic: world cup 2014  (Read 4729 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
world cup 2014
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
Downloaded the Holland v Spain highlights last night.  Gonna watch it tonight.

LIVE, I only caught broken up streams of the game.   Wow, the Dutch were on fire.

Ominous signs that Van Gaal and Van Persie are close friends and a scary double act.  Hope United don't land Robben.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: world cup 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »
England, under Hodgson, will always be glorious decent losers.

Despite a delicious ball for Sturridge's goal, I really have to question why Rooney is in the side.  His best days are behind him.  Same with Gerrard. 

And I am amazed that the British media think that Costa Rica's win against Uruguay was a massive upset.  Costa Rica are a fine team.  They and America bossed their World Cup qualifying group here (CONCACAF).    To give it some relativity - Mexico only came fourth in that group.  USA won it, CR were second.  Panama  were in the group, and at present have a fine team of their own. 

I didn;t have time to come in to the forum and post my predictions.  But I did want to warn folk what to expect.  Uruguay are probably the weakest of the four sides in this group.  And if Costa Rica can hold their nerve, they will put England out.  But, we have to see if mentally they can hold it together when they meet top European sides.  But don;t be surprised to see Costa Rica qualifying from this group.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »
England, under Hodgson, will always be glorious decent losers.

Despite a delicious ball for Sturridge's goal, I really have to question why Rooney is in the side.  His best days are behind him.  Same with Gerrard. 

And I am amazed that the British media think that Costa Rica's win against Uruguay was a massive upset.  Costa Rica are a fine team.  They and America bossed their World Cup qualifying group here (CONCACAF).    To give it some relativity - Mexico only came fourth in that group.  USA won it, CR were second.  Panama  were in the group, and at present have a fine team of their own. 

I didn;t have time to come in to the forum and post my predictions.  But I did want to warn folk what to expect.  Uruguay are probably the weakest of the four sides in this group.  And if Costa Rica can hold their nerve, they will put England out.  But, we have to see if mentally they can hold it together when they meet top European sides.  But don;t be surprised to see Costa Rica qualifying from this group.

There's been some woeful defending from some of the 'names' so far. Lugano and Godin were upstaged only by Spain's Pique and Ramos, though I've never understood fuss about Ramos anyway.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:23 AM »
There's been some woeful defending from some of the 'names' so far. Lugano and Godin were upstaged only by Spain's Pique and Ramos, though I've never understood fuss about Ramos anyway.

agreed.

both spain and portugal are under the cosh now........and england too.

I have always loved the technical brilliance of the dutch.......we could do a lot worse than target dutch recruits (e.g. blind instead of seville's moreno)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
we could do a lot worse than target dutch recruits (e.g. blind instead of seville's moreno)

Dude, your wish may be granted: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-rumours-reds-switch-3708781

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/482944/Liverpool-in-talks-over-10m-move-for-Man-Utd-and-Spurs-target-Daley-Blind

I'd be much happier with either of Blind, or Rodriguez, ahead of Rojo, with Moreno definitely very much fourth on the list of four.

It's being widely reported we would only go to £13.5M (only  :o) for Moreno and Sevilla are wanting near to £20M.

I totally agree with you Dude on the Dutch. Not only is their football pleasing to watch (especially for those who require entertainment above results), but it's effective. Ditto, the Germans.
I enjoyed watching the Italians too. Strong defensively, worked hard as a unit and maintained patience in possession. If they looked to up the tempo, as they did from time to time, their right back was a great outlet.

The best football to watch ultimately is winning football. As we've said about Arsenal over the years, there's no points for artistic impression, so whilst all out attack may look good and work sometimes, it has it's limitations and can't always be the 'go to' tactic. For me the Germans are the ultimate in practical, successful football. It may not be the all out onslaught we would attempt to batter everyone with last season, but they always look to go forward, each pass has a reason behind it, no passing for the sake of it, but no over commitment either.

In our first season we played a lot more possession based football than last season, but what we have to learn to do is mix things up throughout the match according to the way the game is going at any point.
Front foot, counter attack, patient possession based with constant movement of players and the ball. We can switch in and out and between any of them without over committing and being caught out defensively.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:44:38 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
After dismissing Spain last night, I can't wait to see Chile against Holland, should be one of the highlights of the World Cup so far.

Tika Taka is dead. Long live substance based football over pretty image based football.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
Uruguay are the weakest side in the group (truth be told, Italy were no big shakes either); and yet England again look totally unconvincing under Roy.

The FA are really going to have to stop employing people of the ilk of McLaren and Hodgson.   Tactically, they are nowhere near good enough.

And as for Gerrard - does he not get fed up laying on sitters for the opposition?  Absolute school-boy error again today, to hand Uruguay the winner.   Just like the school-boy error against Chelsea.....when he handed our title away.  And Rooney was no big shakes either - despite his goal.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
After dismissing Spain last night, I can't wait to see Chile against Holland, should be one of the highlights of the World Cup so far.

Tika Taka is dead. Long live substance based football over pretty image based football.

yes, Holland and Chile should be a good game, Tes.

Mind you, I think the importance of avoiding Brazil, is probably overplayed by the media.  I have been very disappointed so far by the Brazilians.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
I totally agree with you Dude on the Dutch. Not only is their football pleasing to watch (especially for those who require entertainment above results), but it's effective. Ditto, the Germans.
I enjoyed watching the Italians too. Strong defensively, worked hard as a unit and maintained patience in possession. If they looked to up the tempo, as they did from time to time, their right back was a great outlet.

The best football to watch ultimately is winning football. As we've said about Arsenal over the years, there's no points for artistic impression, so whilst all out attack may look good and work sometimes, it has it's limitations and can't always be the 'go to' tactic. For me the Germans are the ultimate in practical, successful football. It may not be the all out onslaught we would attempt to batter everyone with last season, but they always look to go forward, each pass has a reason behind it, no passing for the sake of it, but no over commitment either.

In our first season we played a lot more possession based football than last season, but what we have to learn to do is mix things up throughout the match according to the way the game is going at any point.
Front foot, counter attack, patient possession based with constant movement of players and the ball. We can switch in and out and between any of them without over committing and being caught out defensively.

absolutely, Tes.

Mixing things up, and knowing when to up and lower the tempo, is the hallmark of intelligent footballers.

Yes, re Blind - would make far more sense to get him for nearly half the price of what Seville are looking (for Moreno).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
The FA are really going to have to stop employing people of the ilk of McLaren and Hodgson.   Tactically, they are nowhere near good enough.

Ron Greenwood instead of Cloughie etc, it's been going on for most of my life. They want the right 'face' not the right manager or coach.

At least everyone is now seeing what we had to put up with and why we were 'apparently' so quick to want him gone. I find it quite funny that the first 10/15 minutes after half time the players were in a comatose state after 15 minutes stuck in the same room as 'Woy'. Just like he'd do when he was with us, he did the Tabárez's team talk for him and gave Luis all the motivation he needed by questioning whether he was world class and had to prove it at a World Cup. I wonder how long it will take him to get all that egg off his face.

What odds before the tournament of England bottom 0 wins, Italy third 1 win, Uruguay second 2 wins and Costa Rica top with maximum points.  :o

Gerrard's challenge was far from convincing, but there was Baines, Cahill and Jagielka behind him and not one of them read Suarez's movement or got anywhere near him. It was Keystones Cops defending. As it has been all tournament.

3 goals, two from crosses and one from a straight punt upfield by the keeper. It should be meat and drink defending. At least the FA can split the travel costs with the Spanish FA.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:15 AM »
Just like he'd do when he was with us, he did the Tabárez's team talk for him and gave Luis all the motivation he needed by questioning whether he was world class and had to prove it at a World Cup.

There's a surprise: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/world-cup-2014/384884/Uruguay-ace-Luis-Suarez-Roy-Hodgson-s-negative-words-fired-me-up

Woy played a blinder, as usual.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Ron Greenwood instead of Cloughie etc, it's been going on for most of my life. They want the right 'face' not the right manager or coach.

At least everyone is now seeing what we had to put up with and why we were 'apparently' so quick to want him gone. I find it quite funny that the first 10/15 minutes after half time the players were in a comatose state after 15 minutes stuck in the same room as 'Woy'. Just like he'd do when he was with us, he did the Tabárez's team talk for him and gave Luis all the motivation he needed by questioning whether he was world class and had to prove it at a World Cup. I wonder how long it will take him to get all that egg off his face.

What odds before the tournament of England bottom 0 wins, Italy third 1 win, Uruguay second 2 wins and Costa Rica top with maximum points.  :o

Bizarrely we're now hearing that Hodgson will stay....lol...heard that before at his crap time at our club...he won't resign cos its a nice little earner...the English FA need to connect with the real world...of finance and business...i bet all that money poured in from adidas means they are non too pleased at our quickest ever exit.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Sakho has been awesome for France.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »

you know, Tes, if this had been Capello or Sven in charge, the media (i.e. the London media, who rule the land) would have been shouting from the roof-tops every day, for him to be sacked.  But like I said when they were endlessly trying to get Suarez hung, the REAL RACISM in this country lies within the London media/crowd.

For some bizarre reason, despite being the worst manager since Keegan (he's even worse than Keegan), he gets everyone's support to carry on.

All the players are rallying around, saying what a decent bloke he is, etc.

I think of it as a soft teacher, that the class loves, because he is a soft touch.

Anyone that would dare make them think, keep them on their toes, or give them a kick in the a.s.s, always gets their thumbs down.

Yes, like you say, it has always been the same.  Cloughie was the nemesis of the FA. 

The two best men, beyond Robson and Capello, I have seen in the job these past three decades, have been
Venables and Hoddle.  The best England team I have seen was Terry Venables 1996 team.  Pure class.  Superbly organised and balanced.  Hoddle too, great tactics and balance.  He played the German style, and it looked delicious.

But of course the London media, via skullduggery, got him slung out of the job.  Scandalous.   If everyone's private religious views were put under scrutiny, then nobody would be allowed to hold such a job (catholic church and protestant churchs, have a helluva lot to answer for, down through history - ridiculous views, torture, war, etc)

I have been saying for months, in other places, for folk not to assume Costa Rica are walk-overs.

I followed the local world cup qualifying group here, these past two years......covers North America and Caribbean region....called CONCACAF....6 countries in it.   USA won it.  Costa Rica were second.  The mighty Mexico (mighty in this region) could only finished 4th.

Costa Rica, like most of the sides here now, are well organised, a tight unit, and fluid.

And unlike a lot of people, the Italy that I watched in the opening game (and in the friendlies before the world cup) did not overly impress me.  It is one of the weakest Italian sides that I have seen at a major tournament.

Thus, I was unimpressed that England could not get a result against the Italians.

On form, and personnel, Uruguay were my weakest side in this group.  Take away their front two (heck, one of them was only half fit), and you have a championship side).

Gerrard's challenge was far from convincing, but there was Baines, Cahill and Jagielka behind him and not one of them read Suarez's movement or got anywhere near him. It was Keystones Cops defending. As it has been all tournament.

3 goals, two from crosses and one from a straight punt upfield by the keeper. It should be meat and drink defending. At least the FA can split the travel costs with the Spanish FA.

yes, poor poor defending.   But, it is very difficult to know what such an independently minded guy like Gerrard is going to do.   He has to be getting that ball headed in any direction apart from letting it skim his head. 

He seems to always be at the heart of giving goals away.  e.g. how many backpasses has he gifted to opposing teams, for goals. 

If I had been manager, Gerrard and Rooney would have been put out to grass long ago. 

Liverpool will in the future be the stronger, with Gerrard playing less and less of a role in our TEAM.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:06:36 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »
Liverpool will in the future be the stronger, with Gerrard playing less and less of a role in our TEAM.

That's the problem when you have a good player who also has a strong personality, and all the hype peddled by the media etc 'creating' something that in many situations is not based on reality.

Gerrard's career injuries are fast catching up with him. He has to ditch the international gig and be used more sparingly next season. If he doesn't kick Woy's lot into touch. then he needs to realise that he will have to sit out a lot more club football next season.

There were 3 English players behind Gerrard and not one took it on themselves to cover the flight of the ball behind Gerrard, or pick up Suarez. One covers the line of the flight of the ball behind Gerrard, another picks up Suarez and there's a free man. Yet Suarez gets in really easily. Dreadful defending and dreadful organisation.

Baines is another , like Johnson, who is 'rated' because he's good going forward and has the potential to offer decent delivery in the area. But he's a defender. Who is poor at defending. Like Johnson. And then the media are genuinely surprised at poor defending. Ha!!!!