September 23, 2019, 08:40:56 AM

Author Topic: The Case For The Defence...  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
The Case For The Defence...
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Not the case for the defence of Brendan Rodgers or the case for the defence of the players.

BUT the case for the defence that all this hysteria from Liverpool supporters world-wide - not just on this forum - that we'll end up in a lower mid table or relegation strugglers next season. Etc.

No my case for the defence is that all this hysteria is just that hysteria.

I accept the following:-

1. Brendan Rodgers must go.

2. Certain players must go.

3. The transfer committee in its current format needs re-organising.

4. Lack of leadership on and off the pitch.

However let me give the following statements:-

1. We scored only 52 goals.

[iYET WE FINISHED 6TH[/i]

2. Our strikers scored a combined 8 league goals.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

3. We conceded almost as many goals this season as we did last.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

4. Daniel Sturridge missed 90% of the season.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

5. We had an unconfident goalkeeper for 6 months of the season - in the 2nd most important position on the pitch.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

6. Out of the new signings none of them apart from Can and Lallana in parts made a real impression on the team.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

7. We had to deal in the first six months with a tired and emotional wreck Steven Gerrard and from January in dealing with his impending departure.

YET WE FINISHED 6TH

So what does all of this information tell me?

Well it tells me the following information:-

With no goalscorers in the team (except Sturridge) and with 3 inept strikers - including Balotelli - who with his shots ratio inside the 18 yard area should have at least 9 league goals - we somehow managed to formulate a system allowing us to somehow get onto that 13 streak winning run which got the best out of the attacking midfielders which got us victories.

It also provides evidence that the defence is just as badly managed as it was 3 years ago, however in that 13 streak run whilst it got the best out of the attacking midfielders, it also got the best out of the defence. As this looked the most balanced it had been in 3 years with Can-Skrtel-Sakho and Lucas in front of them. However either side of that run it shows me that Brendan cannot formulate his strategies onto the team without the defence being as shaky as it is.

It also suggests to me that we never got over 13/14 and Gerrard in particular never got over that plus coupled with the world cup, those first six months of the season was tough. Then came his announcement of his departure and thus started our 13 run streak.

It also suggests that our transfer committee and Brendan got it majorly wrong in the market. Lovren  was a failure, Lambert a failure, Balotelli a failure, Moreno undecided, Lallana undecided but edging towards success and Can our most successful signing. We failed to sign goalscorers. Note goalscorers do not mean strikers. Although strikers should be getting 15 league goals for us.

So what does this all mean?

It means that for me a new manager is a must. I have various opinions on the different managers out there however that is for a different thread. But also FSG need to implement or re-organise the transfer committee. Be it by appointment a DoF or stream lining the TC.

It also means that above all else in the transfer market we need to sign goalscorers. At least 2 added to what we have. No Suarez and no Sturridge yet we only finished 8 points off of 4th place. Had Sturridge been injury free you can be as sure as anything it would have been 2 or 3 points, or hell us even in 4th. Goalscorers just add that extra dimension to a team.

So, NO! We won't be in any relegation Dog fights next season or be in mid-table. Because the evidence suggests otherwise. We finished 6th with all of those obstacles - yes most of them self-inflicted - but still with those obstacles we finished 6th and 8 points off of 4th. Am I suggesting this is good enough for this season or its a par season? NO I AM NOT.

Should Brendan pay with his job? YES.

But please this hysteria is just that. Hysteria.

Now if nothing were to change and Brendan was still in charge AND nothing changes with the TC then it is time to panic. If only one of those changes did occur, then whilst not ideal, we'd at least have further clarity on the position of what has the final say in what and would have that transparency and accountability that I have asked for time and again.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Case For The Defence...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:04:36 PM »
And if all those things happened then there wouldn't be any 'hysteria' as you put it.

The 'hysteria' is based on the current, if nothing changes.

You are stating people are being hysterical but basing your assumption that they're all wrong by trying to prove it using a completely different set of circumstances to those concerning people.

At this point, and that's all that can be used to form opinions, we are in absolute free fall. What caused the mini revival to come to such a sudden, shuddering standstill from and including the Manc game?

Whatever it was that caused it, does not appear to have been resolved, going on the results and performances.

By all means make a case for people being hysterical, but base it on the actual. Re-interpret the current to prove it's all over reaction.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
An impressive effort to stay positive no doubt. But you fail to address completely the fact it appears Rodgers has lost the dressing room, with all that comes with that.

Also, I would like to give the following statement:

Our points tally dropped 22 points from last season.

No wonder we finished 6th!

We lost twice as many games this season (12) we did last (6).

We scored nearly half the amoung of goals this season (52) we did last (101).

We conceded almost as many goals this season (48) we did last (50).

We sold the third best player on the planet and spent 120 million on players of which none rose to the occasion.

We started yesterday's game with 7 CM's.

No wonder we got beat 6-1 and finished 6th!

We tried and tested more formations this season than did the rest of Europe combined.

No wonder we finished in 3rd Place the weakest CL-group on 5 points, got kicked out of EL by 2nd rate opposition and finished 6th!

Brendan Rodgers never knew, let alone settled, for his best starting XI.

No wonder he lost the dressing room with us finishing 6th as a consequence!

You assume Edward mate, things will change. But what if FSG are unwilling to question their methods and strategies? What if they find it too expensive to get rid of Rodgers? What if they're content with the businesside of things? Given the choice between success on the pitch or off it I'm fairly confident they'll go for the latter.

On March 23rd I predicted we'd finish 6th behind Spurs on 63 points, taking 9 points from the then remaining 8 games. I turned out to be bang on, on our finishing position but were overly positive about our points tally as it turned out to be 8 points from the finishing 8 games. You then called it "knee-jerkism".

Fast forward som 9 weeks, and you know call me and others who fear we might have to settle for a place in the lower regions of the table next season hysterical. Other than wishful-thinking and Rodgersesque idealism, what basis do you have for such a claim?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
At this point, and that's all that can be used to form opinions, we are in absolute free fall. What caused the mini revival to come to such a sudden, shuddering standstill from and including the Manc game?

I'm stuck with the thesis ahead of the Manc game Rodgers communicated, one way or another, he'd go back to the formation that worked so woeful during the autumn. THAT's why he lost the dressing. Just like no historian have hitherto explained Hitler's decision to declare war on the US, no one will be able to ever explain this disastrous decision by Rodgers.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »
Not the case for the defence of Brendan Rodgers or the case for the defence of the players.

BUT the case for the defence that all this hysteria from Liverpool supporters world-wide - not just on this forum - that we'll end up in a lower mid table or relegation strugglers next season. Etc.

[iYET WE FINISHED 6TH

Chief Inspector Dude concludes that Edward is, in fact, no other than Ian Ayres.   :D

I accept your resignation. 

Leave your season ticket at reception, and turn off the light, here in the executive committee room, when you leave.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:18 PM »
Chief Inspector Dude concludes that Edward is, in fact, no other than Ian Ayres.   :D

I accept your resignation. 

Leave your season ticket at reception, and turn off the light, here in the executive committee room bootroom, when you leave.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.