September 21, 2019, 09:56:04 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 140624 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
Not just us who are saying this then....this from the bleacher report

The bad news is that those other areas of defence need quite a bit of work still. None of Rodgers’ full-back options have really made any lasting impression, and Jose Enrique’s positioning against City on Wednesday was spectacularly abhorrent.

Not that Martin Kelly and Glen Johnson did much to resurrect their Anfield careers either, and Jack Robinson, so often heralded as Liverpool’s next homegrown left-back talent, hasn’t shown enough to suggest he can usurp even Jon Flanagan’s place in the pecking order anytime soon.

Then there’s the sticky issue of the defensive midfield, whose current incumbents, besides the enterprising Emre Can, are the off-pace Lucas and the increasingly off-pace Steven Gerrard.

Perhaps it’s a sign of the times—and a sad sight for all Liverpool fans—that their performance was markedly improved in the second half, and even more so with Gerrard off the pitch. His absence might deprive his team of on-field leadership and creative vision, but it’s also no coincidence that the entire Reds side look more cohesive going forward and defending as a unit without the captain.

With Gerrard’s international retirement, the case of Gerrard’s playing time this season will be something that Brendan Rodgers needs to manage carefully. Get it right, and the Reds will have a bright future while phasing out their captain. Get it wrong, and there could be huge ramifications on how the season turns out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2147213-liverpool-vs-manchester-city-what-reds-learned-in-international-champions-cup/page/6

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
Rodgers' attitude to the two goals conceded against City was "they were unfortunate".

He really does appear to have a genuine blindspot where the whole defensive side of the game is concerned. We defend by keeping possession, pushing the opposition back by attacking them and scoring enough goals to make sure we outscore the opposition.

Johnson is getting worse almost every time I see him. He can't be our first choice right back this season.

If we're going to have full backs who's prime role is to attack and provide width (full backs should be defenders first and foremost), then he has to work with them on the understanding that only one can go forward at a time. We can't have both high up the pitch if/when we lose possession.
Also, even with one of them high up the pitch and out of position until they get back (which they must work much harder to do then they are at the moment), it means the nearest centre half is likely to have to move across and cover that position when the opposition attack that vacated area, therefore the other centre half has to move across to cover his partner and the other fullback drop in to cover the second centre half. It's like they have to each be joined to the next by a piece of rope tied around their waist, so when one moves across to cover a vacated position/space then everyone else moves across 'one position' also. So if both full backs are up the pitch we're done for.

Alternatively, if he's going to allow both full backs to go forward at the same time then we're going to need to play with two, not one, defensive midfielders, so that one covers across in the position/space vacated by the full back if the opposition are attacking down that particular flank, whilst the other defensive midfielder is trying to shield the two centre halves and/or picking up either a deep lying forward or midfielder making a run into the box. Also this way it should mean that the centre halves don't get parted or dragged out into a wide position where most centre halves are less comfortable operating.

When watching us it's patently obvious just how much work goes on in training on the movement and attacking aspect of our game, due to the way it works so smoothly and clicks, but it's equally apparent how little or no work goes into the defensive aspect as our defending is as shambolic and disjointed as our attacking is smooth and fluid.

He really needs to lose the idealism and introduce a bit of pragmatism if we're not to become just another Arsenal. Wenger seems to have finally cottoned on and is starting to understand the need for both defensive recruits and also that experience is also vital, and that he can't just keeping recruiting young players without having the experienced there to guide them. Likewise simply buying only attacking players will not stop them conceding goals, drawing instead of winning, losing instead of drawing.

Defenses don't neccessarily win you games, but they save you dropping the points that the attack has put you in the position to gain. They can prevent defeats and ensure victories are gained when leads are taken.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
Not just us who are saying this then....this from the bleacher report

And another: http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9402988/- with the most pertinent lines being: " Players are now flooding forward looking to score goals, as opposed to the idea of just keeping the ball - because that's no good on its own. " To which the article accurately responds: " Similarly, flooding forward looking to score goals is no good on its own if the bolt has been left off the back door. ".

And another excellent point: " There is a sense that merely buying another centre-back - and possibly a new left-back - is too simplistic to address the issues that ultimately cost Liverpool the title.

It is not necessarily that the defenders Liverpool already possess lack the requisite quality to mount a challenge at the top of the table, but rather Rodgers' swashbuckling style was often guilty of leaving the back line exposed. The Reds play with a high level of risk, and on several occasions last season it proved to be their downfall.
".

Rodgers' attitude: " (Defence) is a place where we want to be better, there's no doubt about that," the manager said recently. "It wasn't good enough to concede that many goals, considering the amount of possession we had and amount of goals we scored. ".

We need to be better, not "want", and what has the amount of goals we scored got to do with how poorly we defend? We know we scored plenty, so does everyone else, there's no need to keep pointing out the fact to divert from the real issue.

Rodgers: Goals against Man City were 'unfortunate' - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11002395/Brendan-Rodgers-goals-Liverpool-conceded-were-unfortunate-despite-Man-City-win.html

Denial won't work, the problem has to be face up to and then solved.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
Liverpool: Swindon loanee Brad Smith back at Anfield after injury

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28788250

We appear to have a few players picking up injuries this early into the pre/new season.

Hopefully he can find another loan after he recovers from the injury.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
Alberto Moreno heads to Liverpool training with boots in hand as defender nears £12million move from Sevilla

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2725733/Alberto-Moreno-heads-Liverpool-training-boots-hand-defender-nears-12million-Sevilla.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

All this phooey in the media about his tears on Tuesday evening is ridiculous. He's a young man from Seville, playing for his local team. The tears show he cares, which is so refreshing to see in a modern footballer.
If he's anything like our other Spaniards, he'll also develop the same affinity for our club, which will benefit us hugely.

I'd rather have someone like that, than Johnson, who looks like he's just going through the motions and happily collecting his obscene pay cheque, having not been granted the long deal and payrise he thinks is perfectly acceptable to expect even at his age, and despite his diminishing performances and effectiveness over the last two seasons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »
It looks like Skrtel and co have been doing their bit for lower league clubs with a few free coaching sessions:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/14/yeovil-post-early-contender-for-comedy-goal-of-the-season-after-artur-krysiak-and-aaron-martin-mix-up-against-gillingham-4833233/

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
Team for today: Simon Mignolet, Javier Manquillo, Martin Škrtel, Dejan Lovren, Glen Johnson; Steven Gerrard, Lucas, Jordan Henderson; Philippe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge

Substitutes: Brad Jones, Kolo Touré, Mamadou Sakho, Joe Allen, Emre Can, Jordan Ibe, Rickie Lambert

That's quite a safe team. Make sure there's no shock first game out. It's interesting that Johnson has been put at left back, where he actually seems to be able to defend, and Enrique has been totally left out, unless he's injured.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Flanno wasn't injured.

Can I think will be introduced slowly to the PL, and as a young player, it's a good idea.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
Poor performance today, Southampton deserved something from the game imho.  Glen Johnson a HUGE liability!!!!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
Poor performance today, Southampton deserved something from the game imho.  Glen Johnson a HUGE liability!!!!

3 points from this one, and ignoring the Sherwood meltdown at Spurs last season as for us that was an anomaly, a point apiece away to City and Spurs would see us off to a solid start.

Missing both Lallana and Markovic left us a touch 'patched up' as Coutinho is not a wider starting forward player.

Hopefully we'll have Moreno or Enrique in the City game and Johnson can sit and watch but from the bench instead of standing and watching from a place miles out of position.

I hope Rodgers doesn't use Gerrard's place in our history and Can's age as a reason to spare the latter from replacing the former when performance warrants.

How would Barca replace Messi (maybe not the best example considering Luis' there now) and Madrid replace Ronaldo? There is no team in the league with a player of Suarez's level and without the finance to simply pay whatever fantasy figures get asked in the process of trying. And geography's against us.

I think we will see a more realistic level of where we are at the moment this season.

Whilst there was a Suarez to replace a Torres, there is no 'up and coming' player like there was with Suarez to replace the man himself.

Also it's impossible to read too much into the first 5/6 games of a league season. There will be teams that perform well to start then 'settle' to their level. Maybe Southampton will be one of them, or maybe a ground out win will seem like a better result than it does now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:33:43 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Just like Rodgers was advocating holding off giving Sterling another pay rise just yet, the same should be said of Gerrard's situation.

We don't need to tie him down, even though his contract finishes at the end of the season. We need to see if he's worth hanging onto or what is required for next season, and that period of consideration needs to be given until the end of this one.

Afterall, no team he'd want to go to would be interested, not even on a free, so if he feels like continuing then probably his only real worthwhile option would be to head to the MLS. Follow a path trodden by Pele, Beckenbauer, Best etc, in the MLS mk1.

Seeing as the MLS doesn't start until March, maybe we could a City a get Defoe until then.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
With City winning this afternoon and Arsenal and Spurs yesterday, our win, however turgid, could prove to be more important than it was impressive, even though it is only 1/38th of the season.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
Indeed a very fortunate win that must leave So'ton feeling numb. Shockingly poor display. Whilst I refuse to jump on the Johnson bandwagon (he wasn't good by any means, but hardly that poor either) I would like to pinpoint Skrtel, Lucas and Coutinho as liabilities. I don't understand why Lucas started this game at all. Time anda again he gave upp possession needlessly in dangerous areas. Coutinho couldn't get his fingers out to get into a position where he could contribute and on the rare occasions he actually got the ball facing their goal he was soooooo fornicating eager to deliever the killer pass. This is also his biggest draw back - he wants to do what's best for him, not the team. Skrtel for some reason I fail to grasp was positioned next to the corner flag allowing Clyne an austrada towards goal.

What disturbed me the most, and what is also a strong indicator we'll struggle to get 4th is our inability to show, passion, urgency, composure. How the fork is it possible So'ton sell most of their team, switch manager and yet manage to outplay us completely in the second half in THE fornicating OPENING GAME!!! Like tes said above this season will most likely bring us back to our true level because nothing I saw today convince me we will come even close to anything above 4th.

City will trash us, I'm afraid.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
Luis Suarez sent Brendan Rodgers a 'lovely' text to wish his former club well before Liverpool win over Southampton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2727222/Luis-Suarez-sent-Brendan-Rodgers-lovely-text-wish-former-club-Liverpool-win-Southampton.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

" His heart is with Liverpool. "

It's a shame the rest of him isn't.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
Indeed a very fortunate win that must leave So'ton feeling numb. Shockingly poor display. Whilst I refuse to jump on the Johnson bandwagon (he wasn't good by any means, but hardly that poor either) I would like to pinpoint Skrtel, Lucas and Coutinho as liabilities. I don't understand why Lucas started this game at all. Time anda again he gave upp possession needlessly in dangerous areas. Coutinho couldn't get his fingers out to get into a position where he could contribute and on the rare occasions he actually got the ball facing their goal he was soooooo fornicating eager to deliever the killer pass. This is also his biggest draw back - he wants to do what's best for him, not the team. Skrtel for some reason I fail to grasp was positioned next to the corner flag allowing Clyne an austrada towards goal.

What disturbed me the most, and what is also a strong indicator we'll struggle to get 4th is our inability to show, passion, urgency, composure. How the fork is it possible So'ton sell most of their team, switch manager and yet manage to outplay us completely in the second half in THE fornicating OPENING GAME!!! Like tes said above this season will most likely bring us back to our true level because nothing I saw today convince me we will come even close to anything above 4th.

well said.

I say, sack the manager.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
Skrtel for some reason I fail to grasp was positioned next to the corner flag allowing Clyne an austrada towards goal.

What disturbed me the most, and what is also a strong indicator we'll struggle to get 4th is our inability to show, passion, urgency, composure.

There's a lot about about Skrtel's play that makes me feel like that. He must be one of the first players upgraded next Summer.

All those qualities you mention Martin can stem from a strong captain orchestrating things from the middle of midfield. Also the more senior or experienced players need to step up, take responsibility and do that. They are also things that need to be shown to and encouraged in young players, of which we have quite a few, so the effect can be magnified.

Rodgers and Coutinho together need to work out his best position and stick to it. Also, he needs to feel he has the complete faith of the manager so he can relax and play the right pass, rather than try and force things and 'create' an impression. He has the talent and vision, he needs to gain the composure to let those things flourish. Again, the captain and senior pros need to have a word if they see this happening, where like today he tried too hard to force the issue, rather than just keep things moving and letting the flow truly 'flow'.

We may just be surprised by our response at City. The players know they didn't play well as a team, but the pressure to get off to a winning start, at home, has passed, and being away from home whilst looking to step up the performance level may just help.

I'll take a 0-0 now. I think shutting out Aguero, Silva, Nasri, Džeko, Toure & co, would have a more beneficial effect than any feeling of a "failure to score" sans Suarez.