September 23, 2019, 08:13:59 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 141646 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1575 on: April 24, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Depay being the latest.

3 things. 1) The Van Gaal factor. 2) Champions League football on offer. 3) Their greater revenue and ability to pay more within both turnover and FFP rules.

Being outside the CL again will cause problems and frustrations this Summer with recruitment. It's the way it is.

Additionally, the Mancs have a long recent record of consistent success, we don't. Ours has come 'here and there'.
Van Gaal will be seen as a more likely enabler of success than Rodgers. Again, down to track record.

Also the media will obviously portray the Mancs as favourites simply because of Van Gaal. I haven't seen any interviews with Depay stating they are his favoured club, but there may have been one/some.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 24, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
To get some positivity back onto this thread!!  ;D

Don't go ruining the ambience. We'll lose our prozac sponsorship.  ;D

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:25 PM »
We don't need replacement strikers. We need one top class striker. To go alongside Sturridge and Origi. I'd keep Lambert for another season so that'll be our 4. IMO. Aspas and Balotelli will be loaned/sold.

There are many players out there who can do a fantastic job for us. Not even looking at Depay. But looking at the Dutch and French leagues there are wide forwards and strikers who I've no doubts would improve our team. So its about having the right scouting system in place to obtain these players.

I've also learnt recently that Lambert could have been a sweetner/part of a package deal for Lallana. I.e. Southampton told us Lallana would be more attainable if we paid the £4m for Lambert. But I have no clear cut info/confirmation of this. So take it with a pinch of salt!

Which tbh is fine by me as I think Lallana is the business and the perfect balance for the speed and agility of his team mates. He brings something else to the table. Craft, excellent finishing, great decision maker and I think next season he'll make a bigger impact for us. I predict 10 goals and 7-10 assists.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:51:57 PM by Edward224 »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 25, 2015, 06:27:21 AM »
Young Big Head Rodgers reckons: “I will hold myself up against anyone to manage this club and to fit the model of what they want."

"I am super-ambitious
in terms of wanting to win and there will be no greater place to do that than here, but of course in modern football there are lots of processes that go on behind the scenes that people will never be aware of."

“In terms of what we are trying to do, I do not see anyone better in terms of the hand we were given."

"When I came in, the team was eighth.......we implemented a philosophy that was exciting, that won games, that almost won the league unexpectedly and qualified for the Champions League. We’ve got to two cup semi-finals this season, one of which we have not performed well in."

“The plan here is to be consistent winners, not to be ‘nearly men’. We do not want that label. We are here to win and there is no one more ambitious. If there comes a time when that is not the case and we move on, there will be no one who respects the owners more than me. But I will fight for my life to be here and if I can get the tools here to help us we can be really successful.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 25, 2015, 06:32:16 AM »
What a poor lad.

At a previous club, the excuse was that they did not give him sufficient time (before sacking him).

Now, the inferred excuse is that he is not getting the necessary resources.

There is always an excuse with Brendan.  It's never down to his limitations.

I'd suggest that among Europe's top 20 clubs, we have the weakest manager.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Would a loss today at WBA, finally hole the Brentmaster below the water-line.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 25, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
Would a loss today at WBA, finally hole the Brentmaster below the water-line.

Dude, I have a feeling he is bombproof for at least another season. Signing a new contract last Summer saw to that. I don't think FSG will want the cost of replacing him this Summer, with the associated reduction in any new manager's transfer budget hardly being a good selling point.

Re that report you posted: I read that on Thursday and it just makes your heart sink. There's no need for Rodgers to come out with that sort of nonsense.
He needs to shut up, and if indeed he's as good as he thinks he is then that will be demonstrated with what's achieved.

He forgets himself too often, and also the fact it's not about Brendan Rodgers but Liverpool Football Club. It should always be about Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 25, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
We don't need replacement strikers. We need one top class striker. To go alongside Sturridge and Origi. I'd keep Lambert for another season so that'll be our 4. IMO. Aspas and Balotelli will be loaned/sold.

There are many players out there who can do a fantastic job for us. Not even looking at Depay. But looking at the Dutch and French leagues there are wide forwards and strikers who I've no doubts would improve our team. So its about having the right scouting system in place to obtain these players.

But we need a replacement striker - for Balotelli.

Borini? Kept or sold? (but easily forgotten about  ;D )

We need quality cover for Sturridge's regular absences. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/24/brendan-rodgers-daniel-sturridge-liverpool
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:57:11 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
Dude, I have a feeling he is bombproof for at least another season. Signing a new contract last Summer saw to that. I don't think FSG will want the cost of replacing him this Summer, with the associated reduction in any new manager's transfer budget hardly being a good selling point.

Re that report you posted: I read that on Thursday and it just makes your heart sink. There's no need for Rodgers to come out with that sort of nonsense.
He needs to shut up, and if indeed he's as good as he thinks he is then that will be demonstrated with what's achieved.

He forgets himself too often, and also the fact it's not about Brendan Rodgers but Liverpool Football Club. It should always be about Liverpool Football Club.

exactly.

the lad has an enormous ego.   He has always reminded me of David O'Leary.......same type of self-serving nonsense spouted, at great length, in the media, anytime a microphone or camera is in close proximity.

As you say, he needs to shut up.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 25, 2015, 09:57:20 PM »
One of the most thoughtful contributors (to the book Men in White Suits) is John Scales, who
arrived from Wimbledon with the impression of Liverpool as a “sophisticated organisation underachieving
but could get back to where it wanted to be”
. Instead, he found a club “in a timewarp”. As United
looked to the 21st century, Liverpool gazed into the past; for training regimes, commercial practices,
tactics, diet, mentality.

“United had Alex Ferguson in charge, who instilled the discipline and focus that was needed to be successful.”

The fall might have been Liverpool’s, but someone else moved the perch out of reach.

Ouch.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 26, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
One of the most thoughtful contributors (to the book Men in White Suits) is John Scales, who
arrived from Wimbledon with the impression of Liverpool as a “sophisticated organisation underachieving
but could get back to where it wanted to be”
. Instead, he found a club “in a timewarp”. As United
looked to the 21st century, Liverpool gazed into the past; for training regimes, commercial practices,
tactics, diet, mentality.

“United had Alex Ferguson in charge, who instilled the discipline and focus that was needed to be successful.”

The fall might have been Liverpool’s, but someone else moved the perch out of reach.

Ouch.

Ouch indeed, but impossible to argue against. John Scales is always worth listening to. Considered, insightful, intelligent and normally spot on with what he says. He'd have actually made a great pundit on MOTD (should have been Jocky's replacement), rather than the bunch of cretins they've got on now.

The yin to Neil Ruddock's yang.  :D

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 26, 2015, 11:11:34 AM »
Tes we haven't unlimited funds this time around (unless we sell Sterling). So I'd much rather buy one top quality striker and have Lambert around for another season. Rather than buying two strikers leaving us no cash for a replacement for Gerrard.

A foursome of Sturridge/Origi/Lambert/new striker would be enough I think for next season considering we won't have CL football.

Personally I believe we need two midfielders (although I doubt we'll sign two) I think we need a physical presence in midfield because we are too easily bullied. So we need someone with physical presence in there. I also think we need another midfielder with excellent ball retaining abilities and a bit of craft in there to pass and move and can change the tempo. To play alongside Henderson who has the energy, work rate, intelligence, stamina and strength to compliment those other attributes.

So that we'd then have Lucas and Allen (plus also Lussey/Rossiter) to back those three up. However as I said I doubt we will sign two midfielders, meaning Lucas or Allen will be more predominately a first team player.

Re: Scales. I mean we all knew that way back then that we were a soft touch and in a timewarp. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that fact. I mean we hired Roy Evans after Souness when we should have started the process of re-evolution of the club by hiring a manager outside the LFC family. But Moores and Parry wanted to prolong the perceived nature of that continuity of a LFC man at the helm - when at that period we needed anything buy a LFC man at the helm.

It also never helped matters when we bought shed defenders such as Scales, Ruddock and Babb when at that same time period the likes of Southgate, Campbell, Weir, Hendry et al were on the market.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »

The fall might have been Liverpool’s, but someone else moved the perch out of reach.[/i]

Ouch.

The comparisons with United should continue to this day. A year ago they sacked Moyes, paid the compensation and hired someone who could rebuild them into a force once more.
Meanwhile at LFC, we keep a man who has clearly failed and whose only good season was when the third best player on the planet was up for it. You could see Luis was up for it last year when he cried when we threw the game away at Palace. A decent manager would have tightened up defence and let Luis, Sturridge and Sterling run riot.
Bodgers called us 'outstanding' yesterday. He's a bullshitter par excellence and i for one am sick to death of him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 26, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
Tes we haven't unlimited funds this time around (unless we sell Sterling). So I'd much rather buy one top quality striker and have Lambert around for another season. Rather than buying two strikers leaving us no cash for a replacement for Gerrard.

Lambert would definitely be in my 'band of four'. My concern, as it has been since we signed him, and I've mentioned enough, is how often will we have Sturridge available and firing on all cylinders, rather than available but working his way back in after another injury.

Maybe Origi can be both partner to and replacement for Sturridge. He's hoping so, so like you say, one additional striker could tide us over.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 26, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
Personally I believe we need two midfielders (although I doubt we'll sign two) I think we need a physical presence in midfield because we are too easily bullied. So we need someone with physical presence in there. I also think we need another midfielder with excellent ball retaining abilities and a bit of craft in there to pass and move and can change the tempo. To play alongside Henderson who has the energy, work rate, intelligence, stamina and strength to compliment those other attributes.

So that we'd then have Lucas and Allen (plus also Lussey/Rossiter) to back those three up. However as I said I doubt we will sign two midfielders, meaning Lucas or Allen will be more predominately a first team player.

Agreed. We certainly have a 'soft centre' but a bit like Wenger, Rodgers doesn't seem keen on that type of midfielder, or at least we don't appear to have shown any interest so far.