November 21, 2019, 12:09:49 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 173028 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1590 on: April 26, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

Re: Scales. I mean we all knew that way back then that we were a soft touch and in a timewarp. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that fact. I mean we hired Roy Evans after Souness when we should have started the process of re-evolution of the club by hiring a manager outside the LFC family. But Moores and Parry wanted to prolong the perceived nature of that continuity of a LFC man at the helm - when at that period we needed anything buy a LFC man at the helm.

It also never helped matters when we bought shed defenders such as Scales, Ruddock and Babb when at that same time period the likes of Southgate, Campbell, Weir, Hendry et al were on the market.

I was refering more widely to Scales views on football per se, rather than just us specifically. I've heard quite a lot of him since he stopped playing and he's very considered and articulate in his views, and he does 'downright common sense' very well. Something that's sadly lacking in most of today's pundits.

I agree with you on Ruddock and Babb, but Scales suffered through not having (a) decent partner(s) during his time with us.

Dude and I have said many times on here, that post Dalglish, Sir Bobby Robson was the the outstanding and best suited candidate in every way, but like you say, Moores wanted to keep the corner shop mentality and keep it in the family.

The whole crux of keeping it as an 'LFC man' at the helm was that there needed to be a suitable candidate in the first place. That didn't even seem to be a criteria.
Evans, whilst a lovely man and a true servant of the club, was best suited to being a coach, rather than the man in total charge.

The combination of Moores as chairman and Evans as manager sums up perfectly all that's been wrong with this club since since the heyday of Paisley/Fagan and Smith/Robinson.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 26, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
Bodgers called us 'outstanding' yesterday. He's a bullshitter par excellence and i for one am sick to death of him.

'Outstanding' when we fail to beat WBA?

Pulis is another, like Paul Lambert, who seems to totally have Rodgers sussed. Whether it's a barnstorming comeback from 3-0 down, or just keeping us comfortably at arm's length for a 0-0.

From just a few games ago, when our season was about Top Four, with it all in our own hands with the Mancs and Arsenal games seeing to that, and a potential FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, we've crumbled to slugging it out with Spurs and Southampton, for the consolation prize of Thursday night graveyard football, and despite them doing us a huge favour by holding each other yesterday, a result we would have known before kickoff, we even managed to throw their collective kindness back at them.

Yet despite this, we have players at our club who think they should be getting huge, increased contracts. For what? They ought to be thankful we can't cut their pay back to a level commensurate with our mostly dismal showing and the lack of CL revenue they've managed to obtain for the club, out of which those increased salaries could have been paid.

The word 'earn' doesn't seem to be something far too many at our club have any sort of grasp of. 'Entitled' seems to be the watch word where they're concerned.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 26, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
'Outstanding' when we fail to beat WBA?

Pulis is another, like Paul Lambert, who seems to totally have Rodgers sussed. Whether it's a barnstorming comeback from 3-0 down, or just keeping us comfortably at arm's length for a 0-0.

From just a few games ago, when our season was about Top Four, with it all in our own hands with the Mancs and Arsenal games seeing to that, and a potential FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, we've crumbled to slugging it out with Spurs and Southampton, for the consolation prize of Thursday night graveyard football, and despite them doing us a huge favour by holding each other yesterday, a result we would have known before kickoff, we even managed to throw their collective kindness back at them.

Yet despite this, we have players at our club who think they should be getting huge, increased contracts. For what? They ought to be thankful we can't cut their pay back to a level commensurate with our mostly dismal showing and the lack of CL revenue they've managed to obtain for the club, out of which those increased salaries could have been paid.

The word 'earn' doesn't seem to be something far too many at our club have any sort of grasp of. 'Entitled' seems to be the watch word where they're concerned.

Just watching Everton beat Manure at the moment and seeing how toothless united look when you organise the team right. So this weekend could have been awesome for us with our main competitors for 4th all drawing and losing.

I've heard a lot this season about our attacking flair this season but let's just remind ourselves that our top scorer in the league is Sterling with 7. Aka pathetic and unacceptable.
But as Rodgers calls them outstanding after such a tepid display no wonder they can sit on their laurels and moan about how life is tough on 100 k a week.
We need a proper manager who doesn't bow to ego's and actually puts a rocket up their ar.se..

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 26, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »

Outstanding in a field of his own
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 26, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 26, 2015, 08:27:05 PM »
Just watching Everton beat Manure at the moment and seeing how toothless united look when you organise the team right. So this weekend could have been awesome for us with our main competitors for 4th all drawing and losing.
That's the funny/worrying thing Bart. Aside from the fact that we
won't get top 4, we never actually competed for it - lost two games
and that was it.

So again we miss out on the experience of actually competing for something
ditto Madrid, Besiktas, Aston Villa.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 28, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Hull went well...sack Bodgers off...
He's gone now.
A joke manager.
Begone.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
There's a real danger now that we could finish 7th, one place higher at the end of the third season than the first season.

We blow a chance on Saturday to gain 2 points on our rivals for 5th, and have now wasted our game in hand.

How the outlook of the season has changed over just a few games.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
There's a real danger now that we could finish 7th, one place higher at the end of the third season than the first season.

We blow a chance on Saturday to gain 2 points on our rivals for 5th, and have now wasted our game in hand.

How the outlook of the season has changed over just a few games.
Obviously when distractions such as league titles and winning trophies
are taken out of the equation (stuff real football clubs compete for).

Further down the list is what exactly a club was doing around abouts the
end of season...The net result this evening was a goal worse off in terms
of goal difference and handing Utd. a 7 point cushion in 4th.

By any standards, not even LFC, this is poor. We've accomplished two things
made it easier for our opponents to compete in CL next season (an absence which
would likely have hurt them more than us) without them kicking a ball - taken
the pressure off them. While at the same time giving a sh*t load of hope to Spurs
(I've reckoned for a while that they deserve 5th due to their nurturing of Kane) and
motivated the hell out of Southampton.

Brilliant, simply amazing.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »
the Brentmaster has imploded.

I wonder what he will come up with this time - another *outstanding* performance, possibly.

He can't use the distractions of being involved in European competition, and thus not a large enough squad to cope............cuz we are involved in exactly NOTHING apart from the league.

At this rate, we are gonna be somewhere in the top third of the table....likely 6th or 7th.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
The net result this evening was a goal worse off in terms
of goal difference and handing Utd. a 7 point cushion in 4th.

By any standards, not even LFC, this is poor. We've accomplished two things
made it easier for our opponents to compete in CL next season (an absence which
would likely have hurt them more than us) without them kicking a ball - taken
the pressure off them.

Brilliant, simply amazing.

That's what LFC are under Bodgers. Made it safe for Man Utd.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:08:57 PM by barticus »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 28, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »
My prediction after the United game on March 22:

Liverpool
Arsenal a 0
Newcastle h 1
Hull a 1
WBA a 1
QPR h 3
Chelsea a 0
Crystal Palace h 3
Stoke a 0
63 Points

QPR will see us as a lifeline. My main priority for the summer is to see Rodgers replaced or I'll be doing an Ed next season. I deffo will. Fed up with this crap. Sorry Dude and Tes you were right all along.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 28, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »
or I'll be doing an Ed next season. I deffo will. Fed up with this crap.
You'll feel better, trust me.  ;)

I don't believe in the manager, never have, so I can't properly
support the team the way I used (become emotionally involved),
even think about solutions (bar the obvious).

At this point, I'm likely to dump us entirely 'til they get a new manager.
It's not traitorous, as far as I'm concerned we're not LFC under Rodgers,
we're Swansea FC with a bigger budget.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 29, 2015, 12:22:51 AM »
Sorry Dude and Tes you were right all along.

No worries, Martin.  It is forgotten. 

I cannot imagine that we will ever remind you about it.

I've forgotten about it already. 

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Quality  ;D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!