September 23, 2019, 03:41:21 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 141595 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1680 on: May 12, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »

the reality is as a fan we can't act in that way. There's nothing in it for us as such being a fan.

Why do we react in the myriad of ways we do, ways which are clearly demonstrated even on a tiny forum like our's

It's something far deeper than a mere player or manager or owner could understand, or probably even feel.

Maybe for the good of health we shouldn't, but would that void it would leave be good for our health either?

I think that's why it hurts so much when we see some of the performances, especially in pivotal games. They have so much to gain in comparison to us, the fans, yet our desire seems stronger than their's.

agreed, Tes.

maybe it is just natural for most players to go through the motions, unless they are managed by someone they respect, or fear......like a Ferguson.

for example, what sort of sign does it send to the players, when you are chasing a goal, and the boss does an ego-based substitution to your team, merely for the lad to get an ovation from the crowd?  If the boss is already on the beach, then I suspect many of the players (especially the younger lads) will say to themselves, the season is over, let's take it easy.   

Ferguson would never have put up with that carry on.  Nor would Bob Paisley or Rafa Benitez.

It hurts us so much, because we have a lifetime of investment in the club.....in our cases, largely an emotional investment.

OK, when we watch, we can chase every ball, and be first to every tackle, because we are fresh....i.e. we have not played 50 plus games so far this season.

I think the whole mindset comes down from the top.  When one's teacher or manager is an easy touch, and there are no repercussions, then why (as a player) break a sweat, when it is not needed.

And one conclusion of all that is - either our manager is very sure of being around next season, or else, the opposite is true.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
And one conclusion of all that is - either our manager is very sure of being around next season, or else, the opposite is true.

That one seems very clear one way or the other, no ambiguity in his mind or actions.

We had a chance, an outside one I admit, to set ourselves up to pip the Mancs on the last day of the season, but it was more like giving Gerrard a send off and not pooping Chelsea's party was more important.

Of course Sterling will now think he's outgrown us and deserves CL football, despite looking anything but a CL player for most of the season. £50M and room created for Ibe who looks a far more intelligent player despite his relative lack of experience (compared to Sterling), sweetens the scenario.

Sterling has massively disappointed this season. He had the chance and a clear stage on which to make a real name for himself in Luis' and Daniel's absence, and other than more media hype, he's achieved nothing, in fact he seems to have gone backwards.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
for example, what sort of sign does it send to the players, when you are chasing a goal, and the boss does an ego-based substitution to your team, merely for the lad to get an ovation from the crowd?
The disaster of the whole thing is that in 2015 we've needed Stevie G to dig
us out of the race for 5th in consecutive games.

We're neither chasing 4th nor preparing for a post-Stevie world.

It's the absence of such footballing club basics that has turned me
so so far off the club. I honestly believe that it is not LFC under Rodgers,
more like The Rolling Stones, still around with our glory days behind us
and pandering to a huge fanbase.

Of course Sterling will now think he's outgrown us and deserves CL football
The irony, the kid once chastised, then eulogised by Rodgers has decided he can
do without him.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »
Watching a sophisticated Juve outmanoeuver Real at Bernabeu I realise English clubs in general and Liverpool FC in particular lack the in-house know-how for how to run a football club and how to remain successful. I bet Juve have one third of our turn-over yet they're up for next month's CL-final as reigning champions of Serie A for a 4th year running. It fukcin beggars belief. Money made the English sloppy and alienated to the true values of footy.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 13, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
Watching a sophisticated Juve outmanoeuver Real at Bernabeu I realise English clubs in general and Liverpool FC in particular lack the in-house know-how for how to run a football club and how to remain successful. I bet Juve have one third of our turn-over yet they're up for next month's CL-final as reigning champions of Serie A for a 4th year running. It fukcin beggars belief. Money made the English sloppy and alienated to the true values of footy.
It's the balance Marx, the side (likely the squad) has class at all ages, experience (World Cup
winners) and youth. The basics of a well run football club.

We can't attract top young talent from Europe and have sold or retired all our experience
without replacements (basically chopping the head off the club's body).

As he relentlessly pursues a short term strategy of smash and grab (every 2nd year) in the
league, Rodgers will leave us threadbare in all these areas and with nothing to show for it.

You never win anything with kids or a kidder.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: May 14, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »

Watching a sophisticated Juve outmanoeuver Real at Bernabeu I realise English clubs in general and Liverpool FC in particular lack the in-house know-how for how to run a football club and how to remain successful.

Sorry Dude and Tes you were right all along.

8)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 14, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

It goes hand in hand with the hype as well as the money that Sky has brought to the game in this country. It's been totally ruined, yet clubs and the media seem to deem income and turnover as the yardstick to measure success by and players don't need medals and memories any more, as their huge bank accounts, palatial homes and exotic car collections sate any hunger yesteryear's players may have had.

If you were to compare Juve's players' salaries with those of our's it would make for shocking reading, I imagine. As you say, these players have delivered the title 4 season's running and are in the CL semis, yet collectively, and almost to a man, will be paid far less than their equivalents at our club.

Your last line Martin is endemic in every aspect of UK life and has been increasingly so throughout my lifetime. Emperor(ess) without an empire. Meet Queen Elizabeth II. If only we could drop the pretentious 'Great' as the prefix to Britain, and peplace 'United' with 'Divided'. Though 'uk' might still be the most appropriate.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 16, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
Standing ovations ain't what they used to be.

Do we even need to hold a game today.  The match sorta gets in the way of the ovations and back-slapping.

Instead, why not hire a double decker open decked bus, with a zillion Sky camera angles, and do endless laps of the ground, allowing Captain Marvel to observe the masses, and throw pennies at them, and wipe his sweat onto their scarves (ala Elvis in 76 and 77 concerts).

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 16, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
and throw pennies at them
I thought that said penises for a minute  :D

Maybe it should, you're losing your touch Dude.  :P

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: May 16, 2015, 03:12:12 PM »
The disaster of the whole thing is that in 2015 we've needed Stevie G to dig
us out of the race for 5th in consecutive games.

We're neither chasing 4th nor preparing for a post-Stevie world.

It's the absence of such footballing club basics that has turned me
so so far off the club.

Exactly Ed. It's one of the things that made us what we were, that we have stopped doing. Shankly admitted he kept faith with his first squad for too long and should have starting replacing players earlier. But he immediately learned from that and never made that mistake again. Paisley also, in my opinion, learned from Shank's mistake, as his transitions were silky smooth. Even legends like Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were replaced without fear or favour, Emlyn to Wolves and Tommy to Swansea.

Gerrard is a one off admittedly, but I can never help but think, every time he played, just how good he could have been with tactical and emotional discipline and bit more trust in his team mates.

Is there a plan in place, unlike for Carra, and for Suarez, in how we will adjust to cover his permanent absence?
There's obviously no-one at the club with his force of personality and will on a football pitch and the physical tools to make that happen. I won't say replace him, as you replace effects not actually the player in certain circumstances.
Chelsea have 'adjusted' to life without Lampard quite nicely, with 'the masked one' being a large part of the plan, but not the entire or 'like for like' solution.

Let's see what we come up with. I deliberately avoided using the word 'wait', as we all are, afterall, mortal.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 16, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
I thought that said penises for a minute  :D

Maybe it should, you're losing your touch Dude.  :P

"Wash your mind out with soap and water, young man."  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
Looks like we're determined to avoid Thursday graveyard football.

What has happened to our season recently? (Inserts nuclear mushroom cloud smiley).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 16, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
ok, Palace may have played us off the pitch, and deserved to score several more goals.

BUT, BUT, we had 65 per cent of the possession.

And you know how much kudos our lad, Sir David Brent, places on possession.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 17, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »
Exactly Ed. It's one of the things that made us what we were, that we have stopped doing. Shankly admitted he kept faith with his first squad for too long and should have starting replacing players earlier. But he immediately learned from that and never made that mistake again. Paisley also, in my opinion, learned from Shank's mistake, as his transitions were silky smooth. Even legends like Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were replaced without fear or favour, Emlyn to Wolves and Tommy to Swansea.

Gerrard is a one off admittedly, but I can never help but think, every time he played, just how good he could have been with tactical and emotional discipline and bit more trust in his team mates.

Is there a plan in place, unlike for Carra, and for Suarez, in how we will adjust to cover his permanent absence?
There's obviously no-one at the club with his force of personality and will on a football pitch and the physical tools to make that happen. I won't say replace him, as you replace effects not actually the player in certain circumstances.
Chelsea have 'adjusted' to life without Lampard quite nicely, with 'the masked one' being a large part of the plan, but not the entire or 'like for like' solution.

Let's see what we come up with. I deliberately avoided using the word 'wait', as we all are, afterall, mortal.
Yeah, we were a well run outfit in previous times and
transitions were seamless.

I agree and shudder to think who will be dubbed the Welsh Gerrard.

"Wash your mind out with soap and water, young man."  ;D
:D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:44 AM »
An excellent article that makes for painful but truthful reading:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/05/steven-gerrard-let-anfield-farewell-much-work-done/