September 21, 2019, 08:56:47 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 140797 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
I say, sack the manager.

Mrs Rodgers agrees.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
We may just be surprised by our response at City. The players know they didn't play well as a team, but the pressure to get off to a winning start, at home, has passed, and being away from home whilst looking to step up the performance level may just help.

I'll take a 0-0 now. I think shutting out Aguero, Silva, Nasri, Džeko, Toure & co, would have a more beneficial effect than any feeling of a "failure to score" sans Suarez.

yes, we may be surprised at how well we play at City.

the first game of any season will see lack of structure, chances at both ends, and poor tactical discipline.  This is especially true when we have so many new players to integrate.

I will gladly take a 2-1 victory today.

But mind - Rodgers is on his final warning.   ;)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
yes, we may be surprised at how well we play at City.

the first game of any season will see lack of structure, chances at both ends, and poor tactical discipline.  This is especially true when we have so many new players to integrate.

I will gladly take a 2-1 victory today.

But mind - Rodgers is on his final warning.   ;)

Totally agree Dude. Early season always sees some teams starting more slowly whereas one or two others hit the ground running pick up one or two results they certainly wouldn't do later in the season.
Some of the smaller teams have had full pre-seasons together or new players weren't playing in the WC, and are therefore fully rested or may have started their pre-season before transferring to the PL.
Meanwhile the bigger clubs have had players coming back in staggered numbers and therefore their squads have had less time together and individuals less of a pre-season before starting the league programme.

I picked up an interesting comment, or at least I hope it proves such and that he's learnt from the last three games of last season, of Rodgers' in one of the reported post match interviews:

" The three points was the most important I think. " and " To get the win was very important. ".

There was nothing about style, or the fact we didn't win 'a certain way' or bemoaning the lack of fluidity or control. It seems he understood that sometimes the result is the only thing that matters. How you get it is sometimes irrelevant.

I hope this isn't just first day relief, but rather a true understanding and acceptance that pragmatism ultimately triumphs over idealism.

Also he made a good point re with/without Suarez: " We had Luis Suarez here last year and it was a similar kind of game. "

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-delighted-liverpools-character-4065780

There's a lot of room for collective and individual improvement, but at least it feels better saying that after a win than a defeat.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
I think we'll know a lot more about where we are heading this season after the next two games. City away needs nothing said about it, and Spurs away, which is always a tough one for us (Sherwood's bunch aside) and with them winning on the opening day away from home against Sam's ale house 11 and Pochetino's massive influence and the way he plays which can be quite similar to our's, that's really tough one also.

If the results mirror the performance or we find ourselves just on the end of sheer misfortune, coming away undefeated after the first three games I think is cause for a certain degree of satisfaction and should give us a good foundation of self belief to build on.

Hopefully an appearance from Moreno or Enrique and another solid performance from Manquillo will mean the chances of having to see Glenn Johnson in a LFC shirt will diminish massively, especially once Flanno recovers from injury and the two youngsters can spur whichever one plays onto greater heights and they both relish the competition for a starting place.

I'd rather be prepared to be patient with Manquillo and Flanno, Manquillo especially having played so little first team football in his fledgling career, rather than have to tolerate Johnson's attitude.
As a senior player, playing for a new contract, you'd expect him to be busting a gut to lead the way, show the right examples and prove he's worth another contract.

C'mon Harry, you know it makes sense to have two England internationals in Ferdinand and Johnson, with all their combined experience, in your potential dogfight. You love your ex-players and making it a hat-trick of times you've managed him makes so much sense. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »
A well thought out article:

Time for a change in Liverpool’s deep-midfield

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/time-for-a-change-in-liverpools-deep-midfield/

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
Yesterday we played 4-2-3-1.

I've been saying for the last year to 18 months to anyone that'll listen that 4-2-3-1 is going the way of the dodo.

It doesn't suit our players. We cannot play 2 central midfielders - with Gerrard and Lucas or Can. It MUST ALWAYS be 3 in the middle. Either 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2 formations.

We scored our goal and was more fluid yesterday when we changed formation to 4-3-3.

Although I did think Lucas did a decent job of protecting Gerrard and being his legs on the pitch however as a flat 2 in the middle - as we saw - those two just weren't fluid enough. So we definitely must always play 3 in the middle.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
Yesterday we played 4-2-3-1.

I've been saying for the last year to 18 months to anyone that'll listen that 4-2-3-1 is going the way of the dodo.

It doesn't suit our players. We cannot play 2 central midfielders - with Gerrard and Lucas or Can. It MUST ALWAYS be 3 in the middle. Either 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2 formations.

We scored our goal and was more fluid yesterday when we changed formation to 4-3-3.

Although I did think Lucas did a decent job of protecting Gerrard and being his legs on the pitch however as a flat 2 in the middle - as we saw - those two just weren't fluid enough. So we definitely must always play 3 in the middle.

4-2-3-1 like any other 'system' works or falls on it's bottom depending on the personnel employed. It's how the 3-1 aspect reacts to the turnover of possession. If you're essentially playing four attack minded players leaving two in midfield will see you over run like rats on fertility drugs. If your wider players in the 3 drop in beside to form a 4 across midfield as soon as possession is lost it can work.

One of the things you've always got to watch is if you use your full backs as the primary width providers is that they both don't go forward at the same time and that your flank in behind doesn't become the obvious target for a counter attack, otherwise you have to take one out of the centre of midfield to cover in behind leaving you exposed to an early ball infield from the flank, or one of your centre halves has to cover across leaving you short in the middle as there's no full back on the opposite side to cover 'around the back'.

Like you say Edward, if you play the 2 then they both need to be athletes. Two with limited mobility is asking for trouble, but even with a three, if your 2 wider players in the front 3 don't do their share either your full back gets doubled up against or you start leaving more space centrally with one of your three midfielders going across to help the full back.

I think Gerrard's role and all round effectiveness/contribution is going to need to be closely monitored, because as you said Lucas having to be Gerrard's legs is hardly the best thing.
One Clyne's goal, Gerrard was facing Clyne and just stood and watched him cut inside and made no attempt to get across and apply pressure, meaning it was left to Skrtel to try and get across to make a last ditch block.
We can't have players running from deep through us without either being tracked or closed down and being put under pressure by the red shirt nearest to them.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »
I wish our players would shut up about being "stronger without Suarez".

Shut up and prove it, otherwise they're going to make themselves and the club look very, very silly.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Recent Thoughts

1)  Remi - my thoughts as to why the deal fell through, probably are not publishable.  Speculation unwise.

2) Cardiff's Owner, Tan - Mackay and his sidekick were morons for writing such stuff, but Tan comes across as one of the biggest vindictive moronic as.sholes ever to have owned a club.  And he unleashed his poision on the day that Mackay was talking to Palace about their job.  Timing, eh.  Who in their right mind will take on the manager's job at Cardiff?  Nobody of any quality will take that job.

I am also dismayed at the way the law has now been changed.....allowing lawyers to get a search warrant, with no need for police or anyone else.  Big business, and those with money, can now bully and boss, little people around.  And tie that in with the way that the police work with the media (e.g. cliff richard); and the future looks like a very corrupt place. 

3) United......as expected, Van Gall is off to his usual poor start.  But the De Maria winger capture, is a good bit of business.  He will be his Munich type Robben at Old Trafford.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
4) Ballotelli - technically superb. 

Attitude - spoilt child, lazy bugger at times.

Usually gets off to a glorious start at his new clubs, before getting bored, and losing interest.

Our kid in the dugout, will take him under his wing, and share with him, a lifetime of worldly advice, about the pitfalls of life.

Milan couldn;t wait to get rid.  I think they would have paid us to take him.

But at the price, maybe he is a risk worth taking.

The London media will love it.....business as usual......the monster is gone, and a new one arrives.  They can still keep kicking Liverpool.  Racist barstewards, that they are.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
If Balotelli can be the Balotelli of Euro 2012 on a consistent basis then he could be the signing of the Summer. He could go right to the top of the tree alongside £35M for Andy Carroll (and rejecting £40M + Sturridge) as the most ill thought out, moronic piece of transfer business in the club's history.

The manager's going to need much more than 'man management 101' to pull this off, but let's hope he cracks the puzzle.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
If Balotelli can be the Balotelli of Euro 2012 on a consistent basis then he could be the signing of the Summer. He could go right to the top of the tree alongside £35M for Andy Carroll (and rejecting £40M + Sturridge) as the most ill thought out, moronic piece of transfer business in the club's history.

The manager's going to need much more than 'man management 101' to pull this off, but let's hope he cracks the puzzle.

I was, however, a tad comforted by Pirlo's assurence he's matured over the past year. The tricky thing though is to allow him to be the genius that he can be which means we'll have to accept some extravagant behaviour. Just like Sturridge I'm confident he'll feel at home at LFC. Also a good thing Raiola came out to publicly state this is his last chance at the top level.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
I was, however, a tad comforted by Pirlo's assurence he's matured over the past year. The tricky thing though is to allow him to be the genius that he can be which means we'll have to accept some extravagant behaviour. Just like Sturridge I'm confident he'll feel at home at LFC. Also a good thing Raiola came out to publicly state this is his last chance at the top level.

I've seen it a few times these last few days and I don't see any comparison between Sturridge (allegedly) and Balotelli where supposed attitude is concerned.

I'm not bothered about fireworks inside and pranging his car etc off the pitch. He can have a scat orgy every night if he wishes.
It's the sulking, lack of interest and not being prepared to work for the team, either making the runs that create space or provide a passing option for his team mates and the not working defensively to close down the opposition.
I don't expect him to track and chase back to his own goal line, but he does need to pressure centre halves and deep lying midfielders. He doesn't need to win the ball a single time, just put under pressure and force mistakes or backward passes. Also, he needs to be prepared to play in and pass to team mates in better positions rather than shooting wildly from daft positions and distances.

If he does those things, then he will be a bargain as I trust him to score goals. His goal rate is excellent considering the amount of game time he's wasted and if the manager can get him focused, like it looks like he did with Suarez to a degree (impressing Real and Barca not withstanding) last season, then we could have a real cracking player. The fans will make him feel loved, more than any previous club he's been at, so will his team mates and Rodgers will put in all the time effort with him.

It's ultimately up to him. Waste his talent and career or go done as the latest in a long line of Anfield heroes and a star within the PL.

His agent seems a tad more professional and less of a shark than the average agent, so maybe he will have the decency to work with his client and from a human perspective, not just a money making one.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
I've seen it a few times these last few days and I don't see any comparison between Sturridge (allegedly) and Balotelli where supposed attitude is concerned.

I'm not bothered about fireworks inside and pranging his car etc off the pitch. He can have a scat orgy every night if he wishes.
It's the sulking, lack of interest and not being prepared to work for the team, either making the runs that create space or provide a passing option for his team mates and the not working defensively to close down the opposition.
I don't expect him to track and chase back to his own goal line, but he does need to pressure centre halves and deep lying midfielders. He doesn't need to win the ball a single time, just put under pressure and force mistakes or backward passes. Also, he needs to be prepared to play in and pass to team mates in better positions rather than shooting wildly from daft positions and distances.

If he does those things, then he will be a bargain as I trust him to score goals. His goal rate is excellent considering the amount of game time he's wasted and if the manager can get him focused, like it looks like he did with Suarez to a degree (impressing Real and Barca not withstanding) last season, then we could have a real cracking player. The fans will make him feel loved, more than any previous club he's been at, so will his team mates and Rodgers will put in all the time effort with him.

It's ultimately up to him. Waste his talent and career or go done as the latest in a long line of Anfield heroes and a star within the PL.

His agent seems a tad more professional and less of a shark than the average agent, so maybe he will have the decency to work with his client and from a human perspective, not just a money making one.

You speak my sentiments spot on tes. I do have a feeling (wishful thinking if you like) he'll get his act together on pitch. What pleases me the most is that he's a genuine character rather than the dull and anonymous players we used to sign back in the 00's
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
Liverpool against the Citizens:

Mignolet; Johnson, Lovren, Skrtel, Moreno; Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling; Sturridge.

Apart from Skrtel I'm very OK with that line-up.

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!!!