September 26, 2020, 09:41:04 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 270542 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #750 on: December 15, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
That's because you're focussed on Rodgers.

Same way you wanted Hodgson and  Kenny out.

Re-arrange the deckchairs on the titanic, it'll improve things...

*incredulous look*

what are you talking about.

I never ever wanted Dalglish, Hodgson or Rodgers.

We needlessly sacked a superb manager. (Rafa)  It was criminal.

And we have never came close to replacing him.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 15, 2014, 01:57:23 AM »
And we have never came close to replacing him.
We hired Rafa 10 Years ago. It was Rick Parry from
two previous regimes ago who did that deal.

My point is that since this awful long time ago, there has
been no evidence that there is the capability within the club
to employ a decent manager.

So, despite the fact that I have little time for Rodgers, I think
it just complicates the whole thing if we sack him, because it'll
descend into the usual media-driven fan hysteria sh*t and lead in
January to the appointment of some clown like Jamie Carragher.

I'd prefer if the owners went about it quietly behind the scenes, without
any media speculation and got us a world-class manager in the making,
who would be unveiled at the start of the Summer.

That's my point.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 15, 2014, 03:12:54 AM »
FSG will - no doubt - go about their business, quietly and with no fanfare.

But what the media does, or does not do, is beyond our control.  And I don't think a modern business can afford to  not take decisions based on what the media might or might not think.

We need a world class manager - that much we can agree on.

If we need to wait til the summer, then fine.   

I don't think there is any danger of FSG appointing lemons like Gerrard or Carragher. 

But as Tes says, it is scary, you could dismiss the entire coaching and scouting setup, as well as the Chief Executive.   

The fantastic setup that Rafa put in place, along with most of the top players he recruited, are gone.

What is badly missing in all this mess, is the people (at Anfield and in the media) who ridiculed and demanded Rafa be sacked, being held to account.

They are still slabbering away, in the media.....often spouting nonsense, to any one who will listen.  They need to not be allowed to forget what they said and did.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 15, 2014, 08:30:10 AM »
I changed my mind.

Rodgers in. I will give you my reasons.

The long term direction of the club is so much more important than again starting another managerial cycle. How do we bridge the gap against financially duped clubs and ones that are money making machines. Will removing Rodgers help us get there quicker, I dont think so.
If I was to put it simply, then the team that are 5th in financial power should be finishing 5th in the league, until football is no longer about finances (the FFP dream).

A good and well written post there Edward. Being at work I won't have time to respond to all of it. But I disagree with you and find myself more in the Tes-camp of things - you can't let things drift and hope for the best.

I feel it has come to a point where it's out of his control. And to the extent he is in control of things, he seems hellbent of making things more difficult and worse they could be. For instance, yesterday, Lallana was our only plyaer to show up. He made Suarez look lazy, such was his work rate. Also, he set up the worthless, spoilt and hugely overrated Sterling brilliantly. Good fornicating thing then Rodgers took him off at half-time to keep the lazy and non-contributive Coutinho on, the weak and untalented Henderson, the worthless Sterling. Same with Sakho, Lovren's made more disastrous mistakes I ever witnessed a CB committ. But no, Sakho was disappointed not to be in the squad against Everton almost 3 months ago so it really doesn't matter what contributions to the team he could make. And don't get me started on his stubborness regarding formation.

I don't see him having what it takes Edward. Nor do I appreciate changing he manager, but it is unavoidable the way I see it.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 15, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
”The most important thing for me today was we looked like scoring. Over the course of the season we haven’t been creative enough. Raheem Sterling was outstanding, his movement was great, he was just unfortunate not to get a goal.”
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/liverpool-manager-brendan-rodgers-pleased-with-raheem-sterlings-display-against-man-utd/247042#Sp5rOsVRIwgblUzy.99

That's, ultimately, why he has to go - you can't praise a player who shatter into pieces every time he gets into the box. You can't praise a player who, time and again, waste golden opportunities that ultimately costs the team. If you chose to, you shouldn't be surprised we look abject and average. This quote alone is enough for me to realise he's the wrong man for this club.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:24:23 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 15, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
Evidently ex-players have persuaded FSG not to sack off Rodgers just yet. But to be honest i hold little store in any player, present or past, having any ability or nous on how to run a football club. Most players aren't the brightest and are often swayed by getting their opinions from the dailies. So what could happen is that we start to be ruled and controlled by the likes of the Scum, and the Mail.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made, sometimes decisions will not be popular, but the club has to be put first. I don't think Rodgers has the ability to steer us out of safety because quite simply he' never dealt with the defence since the first day he got here, that in the end cost us the title last season. Granted he seems to be good going forward but if you have a system that only works when you have one of the top 3 players in the world playing it, then it doesn't look too special when he's gone.

Loads of people have been slagging Sterling off, but at least he's trying, and last year he had Suarez and Sturridge to take the load off him and to work with him. Now he's effectively doing the job of all three. At the age of 20. Unrealistic expectation? Sheesh.

This is a crucial time for us going into the Christmas period and it can be saveable. But with eight games in little over a month, we could find ourselves out of the Fa Cup, Carling Cup and perilously close to relegation.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 15, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
Evidently ex-players have persuaded FSG not to sack off Rodgers just yet.
I tend to agree.

Evidence against, and it's quite damning, dreadful start to the
league, practically ruling out top 4 by December (Man City, Chelsea,
United, Arsenal).

Humiliated in CL.

Silver-lining is that we remain in 3 cup competitions, one
of which offers a route back to the CL next season. Plus there
is depth in the squad to run these campaigns (whether there's
the quality and mentality is another matter).

It's like Stevie said, time to dust ourselves down and go again,
starting with Bournemouth.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 15, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
Very interesting news from James Pearce. Who is extremely reliable.

Liverpool Echo's James Pearce one of the most trusted persons regarding LFC affairs has come out to suggest that the Transfer Committee (TC) could have made BR's work difficult at Anfield. The sale of senior players on big wages and the signings that BR made this season were not totally his choice, but the committee's. Many managers refused to work under a sporting director when they were interviewed by FSG for the job before BR came in. FSG later set up this committee that is identical, or perhaps wields more power than a sporting director, whilst giving the idea that the manager is totally in charge. Whatever decision the manager makes with regards to signings and contracts, will be voted by 5 people in the committee. Only in the case of a majority vote, BR can sign the players he wants. Otherwise he has to improvise with the players chosen by the TC. Pearce says BR NEVER wanted to sign Balotelli but was forced to settle for him. In other words, it was the TC that ultimately failed to replace Suarez despite getting big money by selling him. Pearce says BR also made it clear that he wanted Michel Vorm and that signing a GK is a priority. But he says the transfer committee refused to pay his value despite only spending over 30mil in net spending this summer. This also had a significant impact on Mignolet's form as LFC didn't try to provide competition for the Belgian. Pearce says paying top bucks for Lovren made perfect sense at that point, as he was not one for the future, but was coming in as a top centre back, based on his form with the Saints and his Premier League experience. He was bought to hit the ground running. However he's had a major dip in form which is disappointing says Pearce. Similar tone has been voiced by Mike Bernard, a former employee of FSG, who said BR failing to see eye-to-eye with some of the TC members and their signings, is getting a little unsavoury. Mike noted that BR wanted Eriksen and Bony but was overruled. This also goes back to previous failures to show the money and securing players early when they had interest to move to LFC. Plenty of dragging negotiations and low-balling saw the failure of securing targets such as Willian, Salah, Mikhtaryan, Konoplyanka and more. Diego Costa was identified by BR as a transfer target when Costa was playing as a wing-forward, long before he became a star in that out-and-out striker position and caught the whole world's attention. TC thought his release clause of 20mil back then was too much. The rest is history. While we drag our feet on targets, other clubs come into the picture, showed the money and swooped them as we watch helplessly. Even for Sanchez, Phil Thompson declared during the world cup that we had Sanchez in the bag. However too much negotiations into details and conditions in payment method allowed Arsenal to sneak in and turn his and his wife's head.

Pearce also does not believe with the popular excuse that BR got founded after Suarez left, and that it was the Uruguayan who made BR look good last season. He says BR's tactical acumen led the team prosper last season, not Suarez alone. The expectations has been raised by last season's football and LFC are struggling with the pressure now he adds. Pearce labels Borini's position as strange and wonders if it could be the club showing frustration against him, for not being able to secure 14mil from Sunderland and another 13mil from QPR. They're certainly making it clear to Borini that he shouldn't reject another deal in January. Another journo Graham Beecroft says Borini could have indicated that he rather sit on the bench and take the wages or run down his contract, than moving to a small club ie Sunderland, QPR who are also refusing to pay more wages than LFC. Could be the reason why he's strangely frozen. Could be the club's decision not the manager's.

The last time Pearce spoke to BR, the manager said Can and some of the new players are still trying to adapt to his philosophy of football and it could be the reason why BR resorts to playing those who know what is expected of them for now. But Pearce says he will speak to BR again about Can to find out more on his position. Pearce says LFC's season could depend on Sturridge coming back to be paired with Balotelli upfront, and then allow the rest of the team to click. Pearce doesn't know if FSG are willing to spend in January but it's a question of can they afford not to. As champions league new TV deal brings in over 40mil next season compared to 25mil before, he opines that LFC must spend. Especially on a top quality striker, taking into account Studge's fitness.

The audio of the interview is here

https://soundcloud.com/anfieldhq/james-pearce-corrected

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 15, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
No, throwing the Transfer Committee under the bus, won't wash.

Rodgers talks too much.  And such a trait always comes back to haunt. 

Here, he is damned by his own words, re the recruitment of new players.

Brendan Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo:  "The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager,  you will have the first call on a player and the last call."

"That's the call on whether he's good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no."

"We will never bring in a player here who the manager doesn't want in. That's a great credit to the owners and the other people at the club. We work very closely together – it's worth stressing that. It's key that we are very much one club."

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 15, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
No, throwing the Transfer Committee under the bus, won't wash.
Precisely, Gaffer means gaffer.

This is an elaborate PR stunt by a friend of Rodgers.

LFC doesn't wash it's linen in public, it's in the business
of success and winning trophies.

I can see this article playing well with elements of the fanbase
who are gullible but the FACT is Rafa Benitez toiled away in
far, far more restricted circumstances and had us as the number 1
club in Europe
. Q.E.D.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 15, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »
Precisely, Gaffer means gaffer.

This is an elaborate PR stunt

exactly, Ed.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:33 PM »
exactly, Ed.
It f**king demeans the club to have to put up with
this kind of BS.

I've said it a 1000 times it should be about the club, not Rodgers.

I think he should go right now, solely based on that article.

Tell his friend to shut the f**k up or leave.

We're mid-campaign, with 3 trophies and a CL spot there for the
taking and the f**king excuses start. Surprise, surprise it's all about
Rodgers.

The nerve of it and you can see how carefully it has been crafted to
push the buttons of the gullible fan. The names of the transfer targets
who have been missed...

I identified Eriksen about 4 years ago as a lock-picking midfielder with goals
in him. The dog in the street knows this. Just because he's scored a few
important ones for Spurs recently doesn't mean that every single club in Europe
has not been aware of him. He chose Joe Allen and dubbed him the Welsh Xavi,
while Eriksen was still at Ajax, how the f**k would you prise Eriksen away from
Daniel Levy after that??

Course the article doesn't mention how Daley Blind, another cultured midfielder
with goals in him who recently went to United for buttons.

I think he should just go, he doesn't seem to be able to face up to his responsibility
as manager of LFC and briefing against the club to pals in the media just shows
the level he's at.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 16, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »
We've been looking at Eriksen and heavily linked over an extended number of seasons prior to Spurs paying a mere £12M for him.

As I said the other day, why would Rodgers sign an extension to his contract if he was working in the sort of conditions Pierce is describing?

So after refusing to work under a DoF, he then has something akin to straight jacket placed on him, where he has little or no say in the signings that will ultimately get him the sack if they flop.
Two years into this and no doubt with a lot of this Summer's targets already decided above his head, he signs an extension to his contract.

Makes a lot of sense. Not.

There is so much wrong at the club, but ultimately we need any manager to have all the tools to get the job done - a strong CEO who gets the players and increases revenues available to the manager and club, scouts at all levels and age groups who find the absolute best for the budget we have, and the manager having the absolute say on who comes in and who goes out, finance permitting, of course.

I get the feeling the Remy decision certainly wasn't his, but the rest? That contract extension makes a strong argument against the picture Pierce is painting.

Rodgers' stock was stratospheric by game 38. He didn't need to stay and work under such 'unworkable' circumstances.

Yet still he's here.

Make your own minds up folks, but like Ed states, weak minded sheep are the easiest to have their eyes covered by wool.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 16, 2014, 03:47:10 AM »
We've been looking at Eriksen and heavily linked over an extended number of seasons prior to Spurs paying a mere £12M for him.

As I said the other day, why would Rodgers sign an extension to his contract if he was working in the sort of conditions Pierce is describing?

So after refusing to work under a DoF, he then has something akin to straight jacket placed on him, where he has little or no say in the signings that will ultimately get him the sack if they flop.
Two years into this and no doubt with a lot of this Summer's targets already decided above his head, he signs an extension to his contract.

Makes a lot of sense. Not.

There is so much wrong at the club, but ultimately we need any manager to have all the tools to get the job done - a strong CEO who gets the players and increases revenues available to the manager and club, scouts at all levels and age groups who find the absolute best for the budget we have, and the manager having the absolute say on who comes in and who goes out, finance permitting, of course.

I get the feeling the Remy decision certainly wasn't his, but the rest? That contract extension makes a strong argument against the picture Pierce is painting.

Rodgers' stock was stratospheric by game 38. He didn't need to stay and work under such 'unworkable' circumstances.

Yet still he's here.

Make your own minds up folks, but like Ed states, weak minded sheep are the easiest to have their eyes covered by wool.
Jesus Tes, you should be a detective   :D

I just smelled a rat i.e. how convenient it seemed for the article
to appear at this time and the peculiar slant it was taking about a
manager who has never won a trophy.

You, on the other hand, were able to give the rat's detailed movements
and pinpoint it's current whereabouts  :D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
It f**king demeans the club to have to put up with
this kind of BS.

I've said it a 1000 times it should be about the club, not Rodgers.

I think he should go right now, solely based on that article.

I think this is a massive own goal on Rodgers behalf as it's a major criticism of FSG. Sure there maybe some problems transfer wise and the 'letting the press know then other teams buying from under us' is a serious problem but if Rodgers is so unhappy about it he would have waited to sign a new contract.

To release this to the public is utter folly as if he thinks he's safer now (after the worst run in 50 years) due to having more sympathy with the fans, then he should just look at what happened to King Kenny who won us a Carling cup and got us to the fa cup final.

IF some of this is true, then obviously FSG are going to have to review the buying process but with an addition of some old heads, then they should get that right.
But this should all have been done in house.

Sack him off...Bring back Rafa.