January 19, 2020, 06:55:20 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 189785 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
Baptism of fire for Moreno and an easy time for City's left flank. There's more energy in the midfield than against Southampton, and hopefully Allen can help us keep possession better which will be vital to getting a decent result. Then we have the option of bringing on Can for Gerrard to give a further boost and then hold onto what we hopefully have by then.

At this stage of the window how depressing is it to see Glenn Johnson's name on the team sheet? I hope Manquillo and Flanno have been taking it in turns to whisper "I'm coming to get your place in the team" all week in training, or even better, both at the same time, one in each ear. A Scouse accent in one and a Spanish one in the other. If that doesn't fry his brain and motivate him then maybe a spell cleaning the changing rooms with a toothbrush at both Melwood and Anfield for a month may.

I wonder if Borini's even travelled or whether Rodgers is giving him another huge hint. Apparently Balotelli will be in the changing room after the game and travel back on the team coach. It's a good idea to get him included and hopefully 'feeling a part of things' as soon as possible.

Then it's all back to Mario's for a August Bank Holiday BBQ in the pouring rain.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
Poor goal to concede. Coutinho got doubled up against with Moreno just standing watching, and was then slow to react and not aggressive enough to get to the clearance. Jovetic's shot went straight through Mignolet.

Maybe it would helped him to sit this one out and have a chance to study and understand the heightened level of intensity that is the PL compared to La Liga. One game, and I'm sure he'll learn.

45 minutes to make sure we get something out of the game and maintain a solid start to the season.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:54:59 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
We need to be more aggressive and decisive when attacking the ball in defensive situations. There has to be greater desire to always be first to the ball, especially when it is loose or semi loose.

We've more than enough to cause them problems but at this level we have to turn possession and any superiority into goals and then defend equally as efficiently and competently.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
We need to be controlled and remember to lock the back door before venturing forward too much.

We can take something from the fact that we more than matched the Champions but concentration needs to be there for the entire match, not just most of it.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
Agree with most of your points tes. At the same time I can't help but feel the scoreline's a tad harsh on us as we were the better side for most of the half. Sloppy error by Moreno but hopefully he'll learn and get better.

We're too lightweight going forward and there's too much passing rather than going for the straight ball. Sturridge again is totally lost and it must be hell for Sterling and Coutinho to play in the forward direction.

If we are to get anything from this game Brendan has to find a way to make us more threatening.

MOTH Joe Allen. What a performance!!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »
Agree with most of your points tes. At the same time I can't help but feel the scoreline's a tad harsh on us as we were the better side for most of the half. Sloppy error by Moreno but hopefully he'll learn and get better.

We're too lightweight going forward and there's too much passing rather than going for the straight ball. Sturridge again is totally lost and it must be hell for Sterling and Coutinho to play in the forward direction.

If we are to get anything from this game Brendan has to find a way to make us more threatening.

MOTH Joe Allen. What a performance!!!!
The score is not a reflection on the game but specifically when the opposition get in and around our goal. Mignolet needs serious competition. He either fights for his place and swims or he sinks. Either way we benefit.
He had a free run at being first choice last season, we now need to make sure he earns his place every game.
With the greatest respect to Brad Jones he can't and won't contribute to the above scenario.

City have the combination of silk and steel from the midfield to the front line. We don't necessarily have the power to impose our game through midfield. Sterling is still young and Coutinho is relatively, and Sturridge is at his first club as a regular first team player.

If we over buy for the future we risk losing the present as a foundation to build on. FSG can only apply business and certain models so far. Experience shouldn't be seen as another word for 'old' or 'no sell on value'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
first signs of missing Dracula.

Despite all our pressure in the first half, no bite.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
One positive from tonight is that Ricky has the account opening goal monkey off his back. A pretty decent goalscoring return for the few minutes he was one the pitch, and great determination, effort by Sturridge, even at 3-0 down, and a great ball in by him.

Steve Clarke. Needs a job. We need a defensive coach or our defence needs coaching. Make the call Brendan. He won't put your job under threat.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »

We had a kind start last season without him. If he'd have stayed the team would still have been the same tonight, but I know what you mean Dude, we don't have to just weather a storm, we have to find our own way out of it without his help.

Mario knows he now has to turn out to be Super.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:19 PM »
I think Super Mario will get off to a good start, Tes.

We can go on a great run now and be in the top 2 or 3 til Christmas.

With so many changes, we were always gonna splutter initially.  But we played City off the park for large parts of the first half.

I am not too down. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
I think Super Mario will get off to a good start, Tes.

We can go on a great run now and be in the top 2 or 3 til Christmas.

With so many changes, we were always gonna splutter initially.  But we played City off the park for large parts of the first half.

I am not too down.

Let's remember the way City and Chelsea have been able to put their squads together. Our's was decimated by the Toxics, the hole was dug by the clueless Woy and Dalglish finished patting down the soil. How many players do we have remaining brought in by Hodgson and/or Dalglish/Comolli?

Player for player their team is better than ours but for mistakes we'd have finished equal and won on points (to use a boxing analogy).

Half our back four now have 3 games between them as a unit, a unit that includes Glenn Johnson. City's with the exception of Demichlas have as many seasons together.

Comparing the same games, this season, to last, we have 3 more points. A draw at Spurs won't be the worse start ever and get 2 of our toughest away games out of the way. Our history at WHL is poor, so whilst for other teams City and Spurs away aren't comparable, for us, they are.

Moreno did enough to keep his place ahead of Johnson being shunted across and Manquillo showed more than enough to regain his place. I can understand Rodgers going for experience and having two young full backs, one making his debut and the other with a single game in the PL, was too risky. The blame for the decision looking questionable post match, lies firmly with Johnson, not Rodgers. The manager has a right to expect more than he's getting from such an experienced player.

Moreno and Manquillo in their single appearances for the club have put Johnson well and truly to shame. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »
Right now what I wouldn't give for a time machine and Dietmar Hamann to be in it.

Rodgers needs to dig out 100 hours worth of Didi on whatever digital/viewing format he likes and give Gerrard some homework.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
agreed.

City away is as hard as it gets.....so that one is out of the way.   Would have been nice to take a point, but it is what it is.

Yes, Johnston is a liability.    In his career, he has never entirely convinced me going forward - and he has always been poor at defending.

For me this season, Rodgers will get found out at the back.  Football is all about balance.  And the blame that he has previously placed on the defence, now will get found out.   The key issue has always been balance.

If you leave your defence and keeper exposed - you will concede goals.

Balance is something that Rodgers needs to learn.  Or else it will eventually be the end of him.   You have to know when to attack, when to sit deep, when to speed things up, when to slow them down.  And simply blaming players, or putting that responsibility on them, is not gonna wash.  They need guidance from the touchline during games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
Right now what I wouldn't give for a time machine and Dietmar Hamann to be in it.

Rodgers needs to dig out 100 hours worth of Didi on whatever digital/viewing format he likes and give Gerrard some homework.

yes, with Didi sitting in front of the back four, we would have been visiting City tonight, as champions of England.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »

;D ;D ;D Brilliantly put!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.