September 29, 2020, 11:29:56 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 271277 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »
I think we still lack a real leader, not the lead by example sort, but an organiser, an encourager, a cajoler, a coach on the pitch, someone who talks the younger players through difficult moments and helps them keep their focus and intensity levels up. I see a lot of parallels between us and Arsenal post Viera and Gilberto Silva, where despite the talent and potential, they missed a leader and lacked a certain physical presence in midfield and compatible and high enough quality in defence and in goal.

You didn't mention Keane.  :D

I know it's an unpopular idea, but like Bart referred to, Gerrard with the status he rightfully holds will be a brake on progress at it's hard for Rodgers to be 'the manager that binned Steven Gerrard'.

Yeah, it's hard to accept a Liverpool team without Steven Gerrard. At the same time the question pops up every now and again whether he's stalling progress or not.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »
You didn't mention Keane.  :D

:D  Robbie had a lot to say but very little worth listening to. £20M for the perfect air shot. What is it about boyhood Reds who play up front. Boyhood Bluenoses have a far better track record for us,
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to accept a Liverpool team without Steven Gerrard. At the same time the question pops up every now and again whether he's stalling progress or not.

It will seem odd, but we've always had our "irreplaceable, how are we going to manage without him" players, and yet somehow we do. I'd hate to see Gerrard's contribution tarnished in any way or to see a shell of a player out there. Likewise, I'd hate to see him become a figure of fun for other club's fans. A figure of hate means he's doing something right, but a figure of fun would be sad to see.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
:D  Robbie had a lot to say but very little worth listening to. £20M for the perfect air shot. What is it about boyhood Reds who play up front. Boyhood Bluenoses have a far better track record for us,

Ehm, I had another Keane in mind, or maybe that was you point.  ;D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
Ehm, I had another Keane in mind, or maybe that was you point.  ;D

The Alf Inge Haaland appreciation society has asked me not to comment.  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »
The Alf Inge Haaland appreciation society has asked me not to comment.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
When do we play Stoke? I hope it isn't any time soon.  ;D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
agreed.

City away is as hard as it gets.....so that one is out of the way.
Man City 0 - Stoke 1

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »
Man City 0 - Stoke 1

The joys and frustrations of the English Premier League.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
Got a bad feeling ahead of today's game. For the first time I really think Rodgers is struggling. Struggling to find the right formation, struggling to find his best XI, struggling to find a way for us to score.

Sorry to be Dr. Sadness but I fear a gruesome defeat today.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
Got a bad feeling ahead of today's game. For the first time I really think Rodgers is struggling. Struggling to find the right formation, struggling to find his best XI, struggling to find a way for us to score.

Sorry to be Dr. Sadness but I fear a gruesome defeat today.

Don't apologise, Martin, we all have differing outlooks on football related issues. It's what makes the game so fascinating and keeps coming back for more (torture).

For the first time, probably in his fledgling managerial career, he is faced with choices, rather than the team pretty much picking itself.
Spurs have got off to a great start. Lamela is like an additional signing and the squad seems to have adjusted to Poch's ay of playing very quickly.

We knew our start was a tough one, made harder by having to revamp the defence and they've not had a chance to play together through pre-season.

I said at the start of the season that a win and two draws from the first three games would be solid and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Whilst 3 points is obviously better than 1, and whilst Chelsea won again, and City lost, I still don't see the pressure for 3 points, as great as it would be, and we need to avoid falling into the trap of thinking we have to go all out for 3 points and end up leaving the back door open and getting picked off, just because of yesterday's results.

Before we can start looking up the table or thinking of challenges, we have to get a solid base defensively sorted out in order to be able to build a challenge of any sort on.

Whoever the manager is/was, losing the world's best player from last season, and not just the goals, means we have to attempt to deal with that and the problem we've had for the last two seasons also.

We have to sort both those issues out to progress and doing that would be progress in itself and allow us to build and progress sustainably over the next few seasons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
Starting line ups for today:

Tottenham: Lloris; Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Capoue, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Adebayor.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli.

Probably the best team we could put out with Can not yet truly match fit and Lallana still on the recovery trail and finishing his pre-season conditioning.

Spurs have a top class keeper, but their defence looks nothing special on paper. Eriksen, Lamela, Adebayor and is where their strength lies and will be a huge test for us to keep them quiet.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
I said at the start of the season that a win and two draws from the first three games would be solid and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Whilst 3 points is obviously better than 1, and whilst Chelsea won again, and City lost, I still don't see the pressure for 3 points, as great as it would be, and we need to avoid falling into the trap of thinking we have to go all out for 3 points and end up leaving the back door open and getting picked off, just because of yesterday's results.

Cheers for that tes!

I don't mean to sound like I've reverted back to the bring-Rafa-back-camp  :D but I think you're spot on here. It is time for Rodgers to apply some good old fashioned pragmatism. Had he applied it against Chelsea we would've lifted no. 19. Same today. We don't need to win this one. A draw is a good result although my hopes was we could get at least 5 points from these 3 games. 3 would be a disastrous start, however.

I also Think Rodgers is facing choices but in another context. Thus far it's been all about the installment of this free flowing footy which turned out successful last season. But we will never be able to rebuild our status as a titlechallenging side unless we can balance it with a more composed game like City and Chelsea do so well.

Here's hoping we can get a result today.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
Cheers for that tes!

I don't mean to sound like I've reverted back to the bring-Rafa-back-camp  :D but I think you're spot on here. It is time for Rodgers to apply some good old fashioned pragmatism. Had he applied it against Chelsea we would've lifted no. 19. Same today. We don't need to win this one. A draw is a good result although my hopes was we could get at least 5 points from these 3 games. 3 would be a disastrous start, however.

I also Think Rodgers is facing choices but in another context. Thus far it's been all about the installment of this free flowing footy which turned out successful last season. But we will never be able to rebuild our status as a title challenging side unless we can balance it with a more composed game like City and Chelsea do so well.

Here's hoping we can get a result today.

It's the one thing some of us (aka 'Bring back Rafa' camp, apparently  ;D ) have found frustrating. We will play positive football, even when being 'pragmatic', and nobody wants a return to the 'worst of Gerard Houllier' or Roy Hodgson's parody of how British football was viewed in the 70s, and there's nothing wrong with having an 'ideal', but it's when that becomes blinded and turns into idealism or being idealistic that the problems start.

Our most successful manager was the ultimate pragmatist.

I think the force of nature that was Luis Suarez made it harder last season to be more balanced and we were forced to play to our very obvious strength because our weakness was very weak, and now with our obvious strength having diminished somewhat, at least until everybody has bedded in and settled into to all aspects of being at the club, and maybe so even then, pragmatism becomes even more important, but should also be easier to instill and adapt to.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
1-0. Suarez Sterling. A brilliant pass with the outside of his left foot by Suarez Sturridge into Hendo's path, who squared a perfectly weighted ball for Raheem to slot it in superbly with his left foot.

Just like the opening goal against Southampton, Sturridge had pulled out to the right and Sterling had filled in centrally. It's why I'm so p!55ed that a certain player from a certain London club, managed by a certain manager, didn't arrive, as he is perfectly suited to playing in our fluent and ever interchanging forward line.
It's rare such a perfect fit becomes available at such a great price. What do cardiologists know about football anyway?  ;D

http://www.thickaccent.com/2014/08/31/vine-raheem-sterling-goal-puts-liverpool-1-0-up-against-tottenham/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:05:52 PM by Tes »