November 29, 2020, 01:56:31 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 291750 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
It's not me being a fickle or gloryhunting fan,

If that was the case you wouldn't be here after 24 league titleless (if that's even a real word) years, showing the undoubted passion that you do.

If we didn't care we'd have no emotions and without emotion there'd not be all the different reactions we all display on all.

You can divorce a wife or husband. Your football club is something that you'll never be free from. Someway, somehow, it'll drag you back for more.

Enjoy the ride, where there's football fandom, there's life.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
If that was the case you wouldn't be here after 24 league titleless (if that's even a real word) years, showing the undoubted passion that you do.

If we didn't care we'd have no emotions and without emotion there'd not be all the different reactions we all display on all.

You can divorce a wife or husband. Your football club is something that you'll never be free from. Someway, somehow, it'll drag you back for more.

Enjoy the ride, where there's football fandom, there's life.

Cheers for that mate!  :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »
Dude, have you hacked Martin's account?  ;D

:D

And you should see what 'Martin' is gonna say later this week, about what the team has lost with no Rafa to guide it.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2014, 09:08:12 PM »
enjoyed reading both your sets of posts.

the ability to grind out results is essential for any team that wants long term success.....because we cannot play awesome every week - but we do need to get a result every week (be it an away draw, or a home victory).

I am positive about the club post Suarez.

I think we will go on a run of results, these next couple of months.

yes, Hull and Villa re always tough.  But I think we have too much in the locker.....and we have a tight team unit, who are clearly enjoying their football, and willing to die for each other.

I do worry about our ability to change tactics, during a game.  Brendan needs to develop more this season, as a manager. 

But I am positive.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2014, 10:55:59 PM »
Apart from his two hasty purchases of a couple of familiar faces in his first Summer window, I've got a feeling these purchases are all 'his', rather than a mixture of his and the committee's.
I think there's been a change, coming about when he signed his new contract, in that whilst there may be consideration and even identification by committee, the absolute decision, at least on the footballing side is definitely the manager's, and only the financial side could end up vetoing a potential purchase.

There just seems more of a theme to the signings. There's a rationale to each of them, and I think only the lack of a buyer for the grossly overpaid Glenn Johnson, has meant Manquillo on loan rather than getting a permanent signing in there.

Only another keeper (though Edward will disagree  ;D) and a defensive midfielder are the missing pieces, but I'm glad to see that a firm hand is being kept on the finances despite the increased revenue from TV and CL, as we've got an expansion to the ground to pay for and the less long term debt we take on the better. Also, we've still got quite a few unused and unwanted players on the books and we can't just keep adding to the wage bill without getting some off also.

Additionally, we've got to keep within FFP, as we can't afford a fine or a cap like the oil funded teams can.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
I absolutely hate international breaks and especially when our players have to turn out for the God of Anti-football:

Sturridge to miss England's Euro 2016 qualifier with Switzerland through injury

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-striker-daniel-sturridge-7728892

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »
With Sturridge out I'm in two minds (both of which I've lost) about wanting Rickie Lambert to replace him for England. On the one hand it will give him much need match time and a chance to play alongside Sterling, both of which would benefit us.

On the other hand if the same thing happens to him as has happened to Sturridge, then it probably means Borini gets in the side against Villa until he damages his shoulder again pulling his laces too tight.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »
Now Hendo's injured:

England hit by Jordan Henderson injury blow for Switzerland qualifier

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/07/england-jordan-henderson-injury-switzerland

I bet his training methods are out of some annual he got for Christmas as a kid. The first year they weren't written by quill. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Borini: Italy return no priority

http://www.football-italia.net/55648/borini-italy-return-no-priority

I'd rather have a mature, down to earth, determined player like Borini than someone like Johnson who just seems to be going through the motions and waiting to get his free transfer, seemingly having decided he can't be arsed anymore as we won't give him the long term contract (a year extension has been offered) he wants, and bizzarely thinks he deserves.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Villa is arguably the hardest game we've faced so far this season. There's more expectation on this one than the last two, probably more even than the Southampton game considering the seasons they both had last season.
Then there's the pressure of improving on both the poor performances and results from the past two seasons, and Villa are the form team in the league, considering their resources even compared to Swansea, who have started with 3 wins, and Villa's start is despite the massive uncertainty surrounding the status of the club's ownership, and the consequential lack of funds available.

It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers goes with Balotelli upfront in a 3, or gives him a partner and who that partner will be.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
Sturridge out for about 3 weeks and Emre Can for 6 with an ankle injury, thanks to International Football. Skrtel we knew was a risk but is out of the Villa game, a is Glenn Johnson.

It's a good job Sakho and Lovren survived the internationals. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers upset with England over Daniel Sturridge injury

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11090915/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-upset-with-England-over-Daniel-Sturridge-injury.html

"Although the information regarding Sturridge’s tailored training programme was provided to Roy Hodgson – and the Liverpool striker made his worries known – he was still told to fully participate.

Another 'test of resolve'? Hodgson's stuck in some sort of time warp. The man's a danger to professional footballers.

Next time Sturridge needs to refuse to do something that he knows is a danger to his health and fitness. What's Hodgson going to do? Drop him? Hardly, he has little enough talent in his squad trying to thrive despite him and his 'methods'.

"Sturridge’s recovery time puts him on course to return just before Hodgson names his squad for England’s next European Championship qualifiers in October. " - or just in time for him to break him again. We need to do something to protect him. He won't be 100% in every way by the time Hodgson wants to thrash him to the limits again.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:57:55 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers demands lessons are learned by England after Daniel Sturridge injury blow

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-7758479

" Rodgers stopped short of directly criticising former Reds boss Hodgson but he’s hoping England will work more closely with Liverpool in future.

“I haven’t spoken to Roy since the guys returned,” Rodgers added.

“I’m waiting for England to call us on it.

“Roy has probably been led by some of the experts, the sports science staff around him, and for whatever reason Dan was deemed able to train.

“It’s just something knowing the players well you have to recover them individually after games. You can’t think that one recovery fits everyone.

“Hopefully we can communicate in the future more. It’s about maximising the player’s availability to play.”
"

I think if it happens again then Rodgers will take a different approach. I think he's been incredibly tolerant in the situation. International managers have to realise the players belong to the club, and they are borrowing them for a period. International football isn't the season, it's a small part, and the approach to a player's fitness and conditioning has to be handled with the entire season in mind, not just being fit for international usage. If Hodgson had have taken the 'entire season view' then he'd have had the benefit of having Sturridge available.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
Today's teams:

Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana, Balotelli.

Substitutes: Jones, Enrique, Lucas, Toure, Sterling, Lambert, Borini

Aston Villa: Guzan, Hutton, Baker, Senderos, Cissokho, Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Richardson, Agbonlahor, Weimann.

Substitutes: Okore, Bacuna, Bent, Sanchez, N'Zogbia, Given, Grealish

I think it's a good idea to rest Sterling, especially after Hodgson failed to break him at least. Hopefully one of Balotelli, Lallana or Markovic get their debut Anfield goal. Maybe it's a bit greedy to ask for all three of them, plus Lambert coming of the bench for his, and the wee man from Brazil getting his account open for the season.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
Why is it Paul Lambert seems able to be able to nullify a Rodgers' team when Villa are away from home, but are truly awful against everybody else, home and away.