April 08, 2020, 11:10:03 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 218866 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

SPOTTED! Emre Can leaves Melwood on CRUTCHES... and is set for SIX weeks out of action

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/511119/SPOTTED-Emre-Can-leaves-Melwood-on-CRUTCHES-and-is-set-for-SIX-weeks-out-of-action

" Can is believed to have rolled his ankle during Germany Under-21s 8-0 win over Romania. But he picked up an injury after the Germans had already used all of their substitutions and so he was forced to play on. "

Why did he have to stay on? They were comfortably in the lead and surely the 10 men could have seen the game out for 15 minutes, being 7-0 up. He'd provided 3 assists, he'd done his part, he deserved to have his health respected and cared for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:11:44 AM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
Liverpool FC's Brendan Rodgers on why Henderson was 'perfect choice' for vice captain

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fcs-brendan-rodgers-henderson-7776846

Congratulations Hendo, richly deserved. He's the poster boy for Rodgers' reign insofar as he wasn't one of his signings but one of the players who's improved the most under Rodgers. He's got a confidence and self belief all top players need.

If we could just have a committee that knew it's bottom from it's Aspas or a head of recruitment to bring in the players and just let Rodgers get on with coaching and improving them we'd be well set. I'm still not convinced in his ability to spot a player but definitely in his ability to improve and bring out the best in one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
2-0 down already. First goal, basic defending of a ball into the box to the far post.

This is not a blip, or early season rust. This is endemic. Third season in and we're as frail as balsa wood still.

There is something inherently wrong and missing from the training and preparation the team is getting.

Telling the defenders they've got to be on the front foot simply isn't enough.

Do we look like we're a slick and practiced unit defensively like other teams, or is it down to just crossing fingers and hoping the defenders and others will 'just know how to defend'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
gerrard robbed down the left side of midfield, west ham break and score a second.

our season s threatening to be over before it starts.

sure ok, we are blooding new players, but this is more of the same.

rodgers can't build balance....he can't govern gerrard.....he can't make his midfield give his defence cover.

if he does not pull things around, I can see rodgers position in trouble before Christmas.

a club does not on an all-time record buying spree, and then play like fukwits, without the boss being asked serious questions about his work.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
3 - 1

the Guardian

Mamadou Sakho, under no pressure down the Liverpool left, heads a blind header infield. Downing picks up the loose ball, advances on the area, then feeds Amalfitanio down the left. One touch, and the ball’s prodded into the bottom-right corner......Liverpool have yet again shot themselves in the foot.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
Another disapointing and discouraging performance. As was said about Tes above this isn't a blip, this goes way way deeper. I would also agree with you Dude that the team doesn't seem properly prepared. Plus it seems more and more as Rodgers been found out.

Why start Lucas?

Why refuse to play 4-4-2 when it's blatantly obvious the team's not able to play 4-3-3?

Why not allow Sterling the freedom to roam in a free role behind Balotelli? Ah, that's right, that won't be possible playing 4-3-3.

And there's the players. I never understood the hype surrounding Henderson. He offer's nothing, absolutely nothing to the team bar his work ethic. I'm good at working hard, can I also play?

Central midfield a disaster for the 3rd game running. I would say it played a big role in their 2nd and 3rd goal. Fair enough Sakho shouldn't head it blindly into the center but the space Gerrard and Henderson left was criminal.

We're gonna lose against Everton big big time and if anyone offers a point at this time I'll happily take it.

Balotelli I think had his best game but we don't seem to have the players to utilize his power and strength.

I don't know but I have the feeling we'll slip back to 7th or 8th this season. The problems we have will take the bulk of the season to fix and then it'll be all but over. Since the start of the PL no team has won it with 7 or more defeats. We have 3 already.

Taking in our extremly lucky win against the Bulgarians I think it's fair to say this is a crisis.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »
We're just another Spurs!!!!!!!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »
It's over it's all over.

No more CL football for another 5 years.......

We better just enjoy this CL campaign as we won't be in it for long ass time.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
Mignolet - s h i t e

Lovren  - s h i t e

Skrtel - s h i t e

Gerrard as a DM - S h i t e

Why the fcuk was our best central defender a frigging sub today!!

5th is the best we can attain this season.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Oh let us buy Lovren Brendan because apparently he is a fornicating leader!!!!! Yes let us buy him for £20m and he can LEAD OUR DEFENCE!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHAME HE IS FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKIIIIIINGGGG SHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE I CAN PUT ON A LIVERPOOL JERSEY AND fornicating LEAD US INTO BATTLE - DOESN'T MEAN I AM A fornicating GOOD FOOTBALLER DOES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pay me £20m!!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »

We started the summer with Gerrard having played a world cup, henderson having played a world cup. Allen, who's tiny and lucas, who's finished. Then we have babes - rossitor and lussy. We added emre can, another youngster.
We needed an experienced centre midfielder to come in and compliment Gerrard, Henderson and Allen. We didnt get one. Now we look short and are forcing a 34 year old to play games back to back.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
There was Gareth Barry on a free. Yep, I know he's not a world star, however, he brings experience, calmness and leadership. When we have so many young players, players new to the league and players with no big club experience, you need these sort of 'father figures', 'mentors' if you like, to talk on the pitch, to help and guide.

There's starting to be a pattern emerge here. Sakho and Lovren, both players who were excellent at the previous club(s) come here and look like Chaplin on acid, when trying to defend.

Listen to Rodgers' talk about the defence. It's all about transferance of responsibility from him to them. Of course, individual mistakes can be down to a lack of concentration or poor decision making, but the more practiced and drilled you are the less chance of making mistakes. You increase the chances of people automatically doing the right things and being confident in their approach.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »

Is that egg white on Brendan's face?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
Transfer news: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has a strategy in transfer market

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/30778/9399930/premier-league-we-have-a-transfer-strategy-here-at-liverpool-says-brendan-rodgers

This was from earlier in the Summer. Here's the relevant quote from it:

Rodgers told Sky Sports News: "It's a different club and different vision we have here. At Liverpool there's a strategy behind what we are doing.

"We talked a lot with our recruitment team last season, knowing that through the summer we needed to improve the depth of our squad.

"Clearly we were not strong enough last season in terms of numbers and quality.

"We always planned to bring in a number of players, hoping we were going to be in the Champions League, so it would give us the opportunity to challenge on all fronts.

One thing that struck me when I read it was that if the signings of Lallana, Markovic, Lambert, Lovren, Moreno (it was obvious he was our no 1 target at left back by this stage), Can etc had been planned since before the end of last season, or before the "Suarez bite", then where was the money to fund them coming from, or alternatively, where has the Suarez money and the plan to replace him gone?

Can we definitely say we had a plan in place to replace Suarez since he signed his new contract last December, should that need arise? It didn't and doesn't look like it.

Was the plan to use the Suarez money to fund squad expansion, but at the risk of not getting anywhere near replacing his goals and work rate, should he actually leave?

I decided not to highlight the article at the time and see how the window went and how everything started to pan out this season, and then judge what was what and the overall effects and effectiveness after the closure of the window and the first games, as doing it any time sooner would have been premature.

If this was all planned with the expectation of Suarez staying, was there no Plan B, if he didn't, or was the plan to push on regardless either way, and hope a strengthened squad automatically equaled a strengthened and better first eleven? 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
There's an increasing acceptance it seems amongst our fanbase that time has caught up with Gerrard, and more and more fans would be accepting, even positively in favour of seeing less of him.

In keeping him in the team every game, I think Rodgers, in trying to keep the fans on side by not jettisoning Gerrard, will actually do the opposite. There will be a few mongs who take to the likes of twitter and vent their spleen, but I think most would at least understand and have grudging respect that Rodgers has had the balls and the ruthlessness required to do what is best for the team.

I'd actually prefer to see him given a role off Balotelli. He simply doesn't have and never had the tactical discipline to play that holding role. If you're going to play as the deepest midfielder then defensive accumen is more important than being the deep lying conductor. If that's the case then we need a Masch type player in there also. It's why the Masch and Alonso partnership worked. It would have been a similar disaster if it had only been one or the other in there.

Play him off Balotelli. Don't ask him to track back, just put any opposition deep lying midfielder under pressure and save his legs and energy for when we have the ball.

Has Rodgers' ego been at the heart of a few things? Firstly, did he believe he could talk Suarez into staying again this season, hence an obvious plan for the eventuality of his departure was never drawn up?
Has he taken on Balotelli to try and prove he can do what other managers have apparently failed to do? I ask that because personality issues apart, I wasn't and am getting even less convinced that Balotelli is really suited to a team that wishes to play like we did last season, and I guess this season.
It seems like we cast about and finally landed a striker to replace a striker, but the similarities and suitability starts and finishes there.

Last season, one of our weak areas was the fact we only had two strikers worth the name. Now, four is looking even less than two. How have we ended up at this point?