April 03, 2020, 09:35:47 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 217841 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
Suarez's world class powers papered over, to a massive extent, the major issues related to the defensive and balance aspects of the team.

without Suarez, we have the worst of all worlds - shipping charlie chaplin type goals at one end.....and unable to score at the other end.

if Brendan doesn't get himself on an FA approved training course or two - Defence 101.....and Balance 101....then he will be gone before Christmas.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
This is from someone else and it is hard to disagree with imo - now that I've calmed down a little  ;D

"People's expectations were way too high going into the season. We lose to Everton next week and there will be carnage. I did my best.

You do not go through what we did last season and shrug it off and just bounce back. You do not lose a once in a lifetime player like Luis Suarez, shrug it off and just bounce back. There are psychological scars from last term that will take time to go away. There is a hangover that needs to be shrugged off, and that takes time.

You do not try to integrate 7 players into a team and not suffer any effects. Nor is the switch from a fast striker full movement to a static forward with physicality a simple process. Nor are the extra games from Europe going to go by un noticed.

The only thing I care about, as I've said all along, is that Brendan Rodgers be given a "free year", whatever happens. I hope to Christ the people that gave me abuse in the Summer for saying how hard this season was going to be will stand by Rodgers, despite their unrealistic expectations not being fulfilled

It's going to be a long hard season.  The sooner all you lot accept that, the better."

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »
He's saying pretty much what Tes' been saying. And as you say, bits of it are easy to relate to. But there are a distinct difference between the problems we face due to historical events, i.e. losing out on the title and Suarez, and problems stemming from the manager's inability to handle things correctly. Pastures like preparing the team for games, finding a tactical set-up that helps the team and playing a line-up that actually have a chance to get something from games are solely the manager's responsibility. This is where Rodgers failed massively for the 2nd PL-game running. I said on here an hour Before last nite's KO we're shipping out points with that line-up. If a moaning Swede who only been to Anfield a handful of times can tell, it speaks volumes what problems we face when our manager can't.

I'm more than willing to give Rodgers this season. But not on a "free" in the sense no matter what mistakes or decisions he make I won't hold it against him. Why break up Lovren and Sakho? Sakho's not getting even half the praise he deserve while Henderson, no fornicating matter how poor or non-contributing, recieve praise for his extraordinary development. Was the same with Lucas, ppl, for no good reason I saw it, praised and praised him despite never being able to step up.

I do not agree with you Tes, Gerrard should be tested in a more forward positioned role. I don't think he should be played at all. Seeing as this season is already over and it looks most likely we'll lose out on European football all together this is the perfect time to start the process of phasing Gerrard out. I also think Rodgers need to restart the tactial rebuilding of the team. First and foremost he must get the players to gel, and that won't happen from this confusing and difficult 4-3-3 but more likely so from a familiar 4-4-2 or possibly 4-4-1-1.

This is a crisis and the pain caused from watching us play can't be described in Words. For the first time in my life I'll activily act so as to miss out on watching the derby albeit it's only on telly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:34:45 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
"People's expectations were way too high going into the season.

I'm sick of hearing that line trotted out. Firstly, sweeping, coverall generalisations are the product of an equally shallow mind as that of which the accuser accuses others of having. Secondly, anyone who comes out with that BS doesn't have a clue what any of us are actually thinking, but nevermind that, they can see things the rest of us mere mortals serially miss.

Maybe some fans thought we would challenge again and take the final step. Maybe some hoped we could challenge again.

The problem is people like the authors of these comments tend to take the sample of 'social mediarites' as somehow being representative of the entire fan base or at least a large majority.

Most fans understand we 'overachieved' massively last season and that was not our 'true' level, and of course, Suarez played a big part in that, and yes, us mere mental pygmies realise we have a Suarez sized hole to fill, and that he was the best player in the world last season (above Messi and CR[ass]7 because of his workrate and sheer effort for the 'team') and that he is probably the only striker of his exact kind in the world.

What we should be able to expect is that a glaring hole, like our defence, would be addressed and that a PL manager should be able to understand the increased necessity losing a huge supply of goals would bring to that issue. When compared like to like, conceding fewer goals becomes even more important this season if we are likely to score fewer. Scoring fewer was always very likely, even with Suarez, as we are keeping firmly in mind the word 'overachievement' in all our considerations, thoughts and expectations. 

Also, aren't we entitled to a bit of forward planning, especially when we basically kept hold of Suarez last Summer due to a 'less than clear' buyout clause working in our favour. That advantage was removed when he signed a new contract in December, therefore increasing the likelihood of him leaving this Summer.

Additionally, taking into consideration over 'overachievement' + the loss of Suarez + the woeful defending that was brilliantly offset by our ability to outscore ourselves, surely we have a right to 'expect' that that would equal a refining of our playing methods to address the huge issue(s).
Conceding fewer goals will always increase your chances of turning a narrow defeat into a point, and a score draw (2-2 or above) into 3 points, with or without Luis.

I'm not expecting a glut of clean sheets. That is likely to require a 'huge' shift in playing methods and I'm not for a second advocating that. All we want, is as Dude always sums it up perfectly - balance

The two most recent examples in terms of goals scored and conceded and points gained from that way of playing is the season we came second when once the Mancs overtook us and went top Benitez appeared to take the shackles off, and then the half season of Dalglish's caretaker stint.

Both those examples has us scoring goals, winning games, accumulating points, all built on a sound defence. Maybe the football wasn't as orgasmic as some of what we saw last season, and that was 'super thrilling', even the games where we conceded more than enough for the opposition to have won the game, yet still trounced them. 

Taking everything into consideration, I think most of us have the target of a top four finish as the theme of our hopes and expectations. I think that would have still been the same even if Suarez was still here. Common sense tends to indicate that Man City and Chelsea would still have stronger squads than ours, Arsenal always finish in the top four (and I've given up writing off their chances), the Mancs can't be as bad again, ditto Spurs with a new manager who seems to have the PL sussed. So including us that's 6 into 4. As as minimum requirement we have to finish ahead of two of those teams just to earn a CL qualifier, so to ensure CL football we have to finish ahead of three teams, or put another way, we can only afford to finish behind two teams.

8 goals conceded in 4 games. Do we not have a right to expect better? The first three games' results I have no problems with, though the ease with which City scored their goals is the issue, not the number they did. Conceding 4 goals in total against Villa and West Ham with only a single goal in reply is the real problem.
Granted injuries haven't helped at all and have disrupted stability of selection, but keeping changing formations etc when we're still at the early stages of players bedding in was maybe an avoidable disruption.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
great post, Tes.  I agree with all of it.

By the way, currently at Filbert Street (or the Coca Cola Centre, or the Kentucky Fried Bunker, or whatever all these old grounds are called these days), Leicester were down 1-3 to Man Utd after an hour......but now lead 5-3   !!!!!!!!!

yehaaaaa.

yehaaaaa.

De Maria and his mates are being given the runaround.  And United's two wingbacks have been caught forward way too often.

Sounds like trouble at Old Trafford AND Anfield.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
from Mail

Manchester United surrendered a two-goal lead for the first time in Premier League history to lose 5-3 in a dramatic turnaround at the King Power Stadium.

Louis van Gaal opted to field three strikers, and although his side were rewarded with three goals, they were severely punished at the back.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »
great post, Tes.  I agree with all of it.

By the way, currently at Filbert Street (or the Coca Cola Centre, or the Kentucky Fried Bunker, or whatever all these old grounds are called these days), Leicester were down 1-3 to Man Utd after an hour......but now lead 5-3   !!!!!!!!!

yehaaaaa.

yehaaaaa.

De Maria and his mates are being given the runaround.  And United's two wingbacks have been caught forward way too often.

Sounds like trouble at Old Trafford AND Anfield.

Making our situation all the more frustrating.

What some managers seem to fail to grasp is that whilst the PL may be the most exciting, it's part down to the lack of tactical acumen and complexity on display. Get the basics of football right, do them well and you'll be a success in the PL.
Defend set pieces, win the battle of the Protestant work ethic in midfield and place your shots inside the post and three points shall be your more oft than not.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »
from Mail

Manchester United surrendered a two-goal lead for the first time in Premier League history to lose 5-3 in a dramatic turnaround at the King Power Stadium.

Louis van Gaal opted to field three strikers, and although his side were rewarded with three goals, they were severely punished at the back.

Which country is King Power monarch of? 

He's even got his Royal Yacht on the City badge.

Showing my age again.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
The Mancs came back from 3-1 up to lose 5-3.

Spurs lost home to WBA. Hat trick from Wisdom (only kidding about that bit).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
I do not agree with you Tes, Gerrard should be tested in a more forward positioned role. I don't think he should be played at all.

I'd rather that was the case and he'd made the decision himself to end his top class career, us and the nationals, with his head held high, and joined Lampard in playing out the last couple of years in the MLS.

My only point about having him in the starting 11 sometimes is that having lost Suarez, are all our players strong enough to mentally cope without taking both away in one go. Give him some Anfield games, the cups and the dead rubber(s) either way in the CL, and have him on the bench to occasionally throw on in his 'Torres partnership postion' if we're struggling against 'the bus'. Give him the Derbies also as he seems to have a galvinising effect in them more times than not.

This has to be his last season and instead of the £20M on Markovic, we'd have been better served by that money going towards his successor, or some proper defensive strength in midfield.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
Coutinho needs some time out and we play Lallana on the left of the diamond, with Sterling at the forward tip.

I'd play Lambert up with Balotelli simply to bully the centre halves a bit more and try and allow Balotelli to find himself more space.

As for the centre of defence, I think Brendan needs to get out the three envelopes, put "pitch" in two and "bench" in the other and let Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho pick an envelope each and decide their own fate in a non-scientific, non-footballing manner at the end of the last training session before the next league game.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
I am with Martin.  I'd sooner we called a stop to Captain Marvel's career right now.  Ideally, done pleasantly, with Lord Gerrard playing out a season or two in North America, where he can receive accolades and hold tv interviews, mid-game.

Sakho is not my cup of tea.  He comes from the Titus Bramble school of central defending. 

You know, Wenger had a superb defence when he took over in the mid 90s, at Arsenal.   They served him well, and his team competed well with United.  But the further Wenger moved away from the defence that he inherited, the worse his team got. 

I have a similar worry with Rodgers.  Rodgers inherited a very good defensive unit.   Is he building a worse unit.  Is he capable of building a decent defensive unit, with good coverage in front of it.  Is he able to rebalance the side?

All these questions and more, will be answered in this season's edition of SOAP ANFIELD.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
I am with Martin.  I'd sooner we called a stop to Captain Marvel's career right now.  Ideally, done pleasantly, with Lord Gerrard playing out a season or two in North America, where he can receive accolades and hold tv interviews, mid-game.

This is the reason I'm even trying to find an occasional slot, seeing as neither our captain or manager have seen fit to face the obvious.

He's concentrated a lot of funds on attacking players when it was the defensive side that needed major surgery, with or without Suarez. We needed to make sure that losing just one of Allen or Hendo didn't leave us exposed and that the player sitting in front of the defence (rather than keep dropping into it) is capable of reading the game and have the energy to get about the pitch in our defensive third providing the cover in front of the defence.

To play a midfield four without a defensive expert as any of the four, and even worse when we only play with three in midfield, whilst at the same time having two of your four defenders as much a part of the attacking aspect as the defensive one, is leaving us massively short of players involved in the whole defensive aspect of our play. You can't defend by simply keeping possession or just pressing. There also has to work done on cutting out supply, but when that doesn't work, then dealing with the through balls and balls played into the area, or into those on the edge of the area who will feed runners.

Again it was Gerrard's attempted long, high, hanging cross field ball that was easily defended against, which result in the headed clearance fall to Sakho to make a complete mess of with his header. That header went into an acre of space, centrally, deep in our own half. The fact that was the problem encapsulates our defensive deficiencies perfectly.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »
There are psychological scars from last term that will take time to go away.

You do not try to integrate 7 players into a team and not suffer any effects.

The only thing I care about, as I've said all along, is that Brendan Rodgers be given a "free year"
Jesus wept. This kind of sh*t is the reason we no longer win league titles.

As for Rodgers, the man who let Jose Mourinho do this at Anfield?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC8w6X8oSo

Wake the f**k up, SAF (someone, who by reputation had earned
the right to be given time) came down from Scotland hellbent on
establishing a dynasty and winning silverware. The muppet in
charge at the moment is just using the club as a stepping stone
to audition for the England job. As the clip above shows, he could
care less about fortress Anfield.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
He's concentrated a lot of funds on attacking players when it was the defensive side that needed major surgery, with or without Suarez. We needed to make sure that losing just one of Allen or Hendo didn't leave us exposed and that the player sitting in front of the defence (rather than keep dropping into it) is capable of reading the game and have the energy to get about the pitch in our defensive third providing the cover in front of the defence.

To play a midfield four without a defensive expert as any of the four, and even worse when we only play with three in midfield, whilst at the same time having two of your four defenders as much a part of the attacking aspect as the defensive one, is leaving us massively short of players involved in the whole defensive aspect of our play. You can't defend by simply keeping possession or just pressing. There also has to work done on cutting out supply, but when that doesn't work, then dealing with the through balls and balls played into the area, or into those on the edge of the area who will feed runners.

Again it was Gerrard's attempted long, high, hanging cross field ball that was easily defended against, which result in the headed clearance fall to Sakho to make a complete mess of with his header. That header went into an acre of space, centrally, deep in our own half. The fact that was the problem encapsulates our defensive deficiencies perfectly.

yes, the whole balance of the side is entirely wrong.

It is front heavy.

And when you have someone like Gerrard in the engine room - who has zero tactical discipline, you are only exacerbating the problems.

OK, I know a great lad like Mascherano, or Didi Hamann, is probably too defensive for our boss.  But you do need someone to protect the defence, and who can wisely dictate the pace of a game.

Suarez hid a lot of our issues these past couple of years.

Gerrard for me, has to be moved on.  And Sakho is like a donkey dancing on grease.  An accident waiting to happen (like Gerrard).

And our keeper now is having a case of the willies every game.

Bottom line, we are not scoring the goals, that would mask our issues at the back end of the team.