January 29, 2020, 10:55:54 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 192422 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
Jesus wept. This kind of sh*t is the reason we no longer win league titles.

Ed's heart is as cold as his avatar.  :D  :D

Paisley had a saying about last season always counting for absolutely nothing, even after league and European Cup wins. In other words it's only the here and now that counts and your last few results are what gives you the opportunity to gain your next few.

Rodgers now has the squad made up of the vast majority of his players, but he needs to be given time and opportunity to make it work. Game 19, half way through the season is at home to Swansea (ironically). Now, obviously if we've lost more than we've won, and/or we're still shipping goals in bunches, then the alarm bells need to be dusted down pronto, and if after the Manc game at home on March 21st, game 30, we're not within 6 points of 4th (6 or more points to make up in 8 games would be a big ask), then the owners have every right to start thinking about looking around and getting themselves clued up on managerial situations etc.

The thing that shows through more than anything as a way to build success in the PL is stability. Unless we turn into Newcastle, then I'd hate to see a mid season change, with the new manager stuck with all the cards Rodgers would have failed to make a good hand out of, and who would have expect us to be where we were at the start of May, this time last season.

This season: P5 W2 D0 L3 F7 A8 GD-1 P6 - 11th place

Last season: P5 W3 D1 L1 F5 A3 GD2 P10 - 5th place

At this stage last season the goalscoring would have appeared to be a bigger worry than the defence, who'd have thought that as the season drew to a climax. We're actually two goals scored to the good this season over last season.
At the moment the defensive side is far more of a worry than the perceived lack of goals. Our defending has been horrendous, but we've scored one less than we've conceded and whilst not great, we're unlikely to be as free scoring as last season and I think that's universally acknowledged, so we need to get something sorted.

I think it's starting to be too obvious, even for the most optimistic optimist, that Rodgers' strengths are not in the defensive side of the game. This is not new, or down to three new defenders, injury disruption, back luck, just individual errors etc. This is a pattern that was there with Swansea and has been omnipresent during his entire tenure at Anfield. I can't believe that his defensive methods are so intricate that it takes three seasons to even begin to approach mastery of them.

You'd like to think that people who make their living as professional footballers, paid tens of thousands of pounds a week, could at least be able to gaffer the basics of their chosen position, but it's the wider, collective failings that are increasing the chances of further individual mistakes being made.

Sakho is not the same player I've seen for PSG or France. Ditto Lovren at Southampton and Lyon (I've seen too little of him for Croatia to judge). Again with Skrtel, whilst I've never been his biggest fan, he's better than what he's shown himself to be overall under Rodgers. We lack cohesion of any sort. Our defending was as woeful in the second half of last season and so far this season as our attacking play was breathtaking (last season, of course, apart from Spurs).   

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »
It's early doors, but going forward, may I be the first to suggest the Return of the Rafa.  The king of balance.

8)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »
Ed's heart is as cold as his avatar.  :D  :D
I particularly like Lucinda Williams take on that old number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55wGgV73sg

:D

The thing that shows through more than anything as a way to build success in the PL is stability.
I disagree with where you're going with that argument Tes
on three counts. Firstly, why sell Suarez if it's stability (proven goals)
you're after. Secondly, playing Gerrard is stability. & thirdly things
can be as stable as you like, but if the manager's a muppet he's a
muppet.

Ruthlessness, in all areas, is the characteristic needed to win the PL.

It's early doors, but going forward, may I be the first to suggest the Return of the Rafa.
You look at the players he signed playing in World Cup finals & Semi-finals years
after he signed them and realise the depth of his analysis.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
Watched the match and wasn't even slightly surprised. How things change in a few months. The genius that was Suarez hid a lot of cracks. Lucas is a pale shadow of what he used to be and Borini was like...meh!
The reason we're leaking so many goals is 2 main glaring problems. 1. Gerrard shouldn't even be in the def mid position in the first place, let alone play 3 times a week! He hasn't got the legs anymore and should now be used sparingly.
2. Mignolet is also undermining the defense with his ineptitide. Play Jones in the league cup and if he has a good showing let him play in the Derby. One can only hope that the Valdes rumours are true.
I'm not sure if we have a Def mid in the youth ranks who can play on tuesday night but if we do he surely has to play. Sterling needs a rest too.
If Rodgers doesn't have the strength to drop the legend then he will fall by the sword this season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »
I disagree with where you're going with that argument Tes
on three counts. Firstly, why sell Suarez if it's stability (proven goals)
you're after. Secondly, playing Gerrard is stability. & thirdly things
can be as stable as you like, but if the manager's a muppet he's a
muppet.

Ruthlessness, in all areas, is the characteristic needed to win the PL.
You look at the players he signed playing in World Cup finals & Semi-finals years

I think where Suarez was concerned, and the definitive buyout clause for me is the biggest clue, he had his eyes firmly on the exit door. He wanted to go and play in Spain this Summer. He was probably playing to a Spanish audience last season and if he'd been forced to stay again I doubt we'd have seen the same player. What would be his point in auditioning if we're going to stop him getting the part anyway?
There's also the aspect of keeping sponsors on side and not putting off future sponsors and partners. Whether we like it or not, developing increased revenue streams is as much part of modern football as the eleven on the pitch.

Gerrard = stability - that's taking that argument to the nth degree.

The aspect of stability I'm talking about is two fold. Firstly, if we look at the players who achieved that second place last season, with the exception of Mignolet, the vast majority were already at the club at the end of the previous season. Buying so many players and needing to try to integrate them has caused it's own instability.
It's where Wenger has played it so well over the years of constant CL qualification, in that he's kept changes down to a minimum, where he had control. They've had changes where players have opted to leave, so he's always brought in just two or three, at most, and kept integration of new players down to the bare minimum.
We've created our own turbulence this Summer. Whether additions are required or not, and the numbers are only relative to the size of the potential problems caused, bringing in more than 3 new starters to the first 11, or having more than 3 new players (whether first 11 or squad sentries) on the pitch at any one time will create it's own problems. The level of necessity doesn't alter the bottom line.

Secondly, in terms of money spent and who spent it, we need to give more time both to players and the buying manager, as we simply don't have the levels of budget to allow us to make regular managerial/coaching changes and then wholesale changes to the squad and team that a new manager sees as necessary.

Look how hard it's been for the club to get rid of Lucas, Borini, Assaidi, Aspas and the pathetic fees gained for Reina and Agger. We can't keep paying the deadwood and adding further to the wage bill for their 'replacements'.

I totally agree that you have to be clinical and ruthless. Gerrard should have been replaced already. Have either of the last three managers even considered this, nevermind sorted his replacement(s) or planned for life post Gerrard? This is the sort of stability we need. We've now created instability where Gerrard is concerned, as it's clear he can no longer play the role he's being asked to (if he ever really could), and there is no replacement(s) for a seamless transition.

We can only be as ruthless as funds allow, and as suitable and available replacements allow.

There's being ruthless and then there's being reckless and reactionary.

The apparent lack of improvement on the defensive side is a huge concern and the season's start has been disappointing. Something definitive and different to what has gone before definitely needs to be done, though initially this should come from Rodgers. A change in training methods, additional coaching staff with strengths the current setup most definitely appear to lack, a revision in the way we play, or something else.  Whether the signings are the right ones, who knows. I wouldn't want to regard any as an unqualified success after only 6 games, and the opposite therefore applies equally.   

Ed, who is the 'he' you're referring to in your last paragraph?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
I particularly like Lucinda Williams take on that old number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55wGgV73sg

Ed's anti-serenade to the manager, joined in a duet by the discarded Mrs R.   ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
Watched the match and wasn't even slightly surprised.

The genius that was Suarez hid a lot of cracks.

The reason we're leaking so many goals is 2 main glaring problems.
1. Gerrard shouldn't even be in the def mid position in the first place
2. Mignolet is also undermining the defense with his ineptitide.

If Rodgers doesn't have the strength to drop the legend then he will fall by the sword this season.

The King is left naked, with having no Suarez to hide the cracks.

Our defence is now actually weaker than it was last season.  And with no Suarez, it looks even worse.

It will take time to blood the new lads into the team.  But Rodgers has no history of ever building balanced sides.  Indeed, he has no history of ever using the word BALANCE in interviews or analysis.  Instead, he is all about going forward and putting the other side on the back foot - and basically outscoring them.

Without balance, or any ability to fix the issue, we could go on a long run of poor form.  A run that could cost the boss his job.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
a
You look at the players King Rafa signed playing in World Cup finals & Semi-finals years

yes, Rafa was always able to spot a top player, and at the right money (often before others had seen the potential). 

Though I think Rafa is only half the man he was, without his sidekick, Paka. 

Though physically, he is twice the man. 

Rafa needs to lose weight.  He is looking very unhealthy.....a heart attack waiting to happen.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
Daniel Agger has revealed how disagreements with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers last season paved the way for his Anfield exit.

The Danish defender has said he was “not on the same page” as the Reds manager for much of the campaign.

Agger was in and out of Liverpool’s first team last season and was sold at the end of August to Brondby for £3m.

The 29-year-old shed light on the reasons for his exit in an interview with Danish reporters at the TV3+ channel.

“Let me put it this way, the manager and me were perhaps not on the same page in all of last season. For most of last season at least,” said Agger.

“There was much between us, and for me it was just enough. I felt that he didn’t appreciate the things I could contribute. When I feel that, then it’s time to move on.

Where me and him maybe went wrong from each other, was that I’m very direct. I say things as they are, and so I also expect that people are the same to me. Maybe it’s wrong to expect it sometimes.”

Agger made more than 150 appearances for the Reds in his eight-year Anfield career.

Agger in defensive midfield perhaps and Reina to bring competition...could have steadied this ship if we had had them.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-agger--not-appreciated-7810505

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »
It's early doors, but going forward, may I be the first to suggest the Return of the Rafa.  The king of balance.

8)

Can o' worms opened.

"Dem der woyms is leavin dat der can quicky dana ferret on dat der acid stuffymago dat Mama likeys droppin wid der moonshine"  Pulls hat down, chews furiously on half a corn field and awaits the inevitable..................   ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2014, 05:43:34 PM »
Fifa ExCo member: 2022 World Cup will not be held in Qatar

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-theo-zwanziger

I hate the jingoist shortening of executive committee to "exco". What next, SepBla, MicPla?

There'll be more than £16K watches being handed back if Qatar get stripped of the finals. I understand the need to spread the FIFA football 'message' but even the buttheads, or should that be buhes, on the 'exco' need to admit there's just some places on planet Earth that aren't suitable to hold a sporting event like a football tournament in the middle of 'Summer'. And whilst they're at it, strip the Russians of their tournament. I can't bear the idea of a bare chested Putin parachuting in as part of the opening ceremony.
If they want to 'push football' give it to the Americans again as football is nearly at breakthrough point over there and a World Cup would be a huge difference maker. There's enough stadia in the northern states without having to go near Texas, Southern California and the cleared cattle fields of Alabama in the Summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »
in my opinion, USA and Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc have all had more than their fair share of World Cups.

The World Cup should come home, and be shared among these islands of ours.

Groups/games in Dublin, Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester and London.

And obviously the final being in London. 

PS - I wish we had the old Wembley.  It had atmosphere and was special.  That new Wembley looks like a metal UFO from Mars has landed.

OR, hold the final in that superb stadium in Cardiff.

but no more America for me.  It has got way too many world cups and olympics these past 25 years.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
in my opinion, USA and Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc have all had more than their fair share of World Cups.

The World Cup should come home, and be shared among these islands of ours.

Groups/games in Dublin, Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester and London.

And obviously the final being in London. 

PS - I wish we had the old Wembley.  It had atmosphere and was special.  That new Wembley looks like a metal UFO from Mars has landed.

OR, hold the final in that superb stadium in Cardiff.

but no more America for me.  It has got way too many world cups and olympics these past 25 years.

Dude, I couldn't stand the repeat media organisms if England got the World Cup. They'd have a problem awarding it to the UK and Ireland because that's splitting it between 5 associations. I'd rather there be a final at Hampden, the Millenium or Croke Park. London gets everything. The new 'Wembley' is a perfect excuse not to give the cockneys anything else.
Meanwhile, I can just hear Hodgson taking all the credit for earning a World Cup Final for England.

Or how about giving to Australia? They're a proper sporting, if rather 'unsporting' nation. I guess the lack of stadia and the sheer size of the place would cause logistical nightmares. England, or rather London, has been awarded the 2020 Euros final and Semis. It's a travesty that the Millenium Stadium has been overlooked. That's a proper stadium, with a proper atmosphere.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/19/wembley-euro-2020-host-finals-semi-finals-fa-uefa

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
I could give an extremely anti rafa view to the last few posts, but I won't.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:57:39 PM by Edward224 »