January 28, 2020, 01:44:24 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 192332 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »
The Reds have lost three of their opening five Premier League games this season with many questioning the performances of their 34-year-old talisman.

Gerrard, who retired from international duty with England following the World Cup in Brazil, struggled to make an impact during their 3-1 defeat at West Ham on Saturday.

But Rodgers insists he is not worried by his captain’s form.

"No concerns whatsoever, no," said Rodgers. "He is a brilliant player for us, really talented. It was a team performance overall on Saturday that just wasn't quite up to scratch.

"I feel we have managed his recovery really well in the last two seasons.

"Even when Steven was playing international football, I think if you look at his numbers and games and minutes he has played, you'll see in the last couple of seasons that it is as good as it has been in his career.

"He is obviously at an age where we will look at him individually as a player.

"We want him to be involved in our big games because of his experiences and his talent, and we'll always taper that recovery for him to allow him to be at the very best he can be."

Rodgers has revealed how the mood is low in his new-look squad, but he still believes they can emerge as genuine title contenders.

"Of course, you're not all smiles because when you lose games, it's not a feeling we've been used to a lot, especially in the last season or so,” he told the club’s official website.

"But you have to refocus and you have to move on. That's the nature of this level at the top end.

"Us as coaches and managers, we analyse the performance, and it's my job to ensure the confidence is retained within the group.

"It hasn't been a great start by any means, but I have worked with the team enough and I know the players and how they do respond. That honesty in the group and how hard they want to work, it gives me great hope.

"It is a long campaign and we've got a lot of games. As I said, we haven't made a great start by any means, but we'll improve. We've shown in my time here, my team will get better in the second half of the season.”

Liverpool were left with an uphill task after leaking two early goals at West Ham, while Aston Villa also exposed their defensive fragility in the recent 1-0 win at Anfield.

Rodgers accepts his side must raise their standards as they prepare for the Capital One Cup visit of Middlesbrough and Sunday’s Merseyside derby with Everton.

“As a team and a squad, we all respect that we can be much better,” he said. “We're still looking to find our performance level, which apart from Tottenham we haven't quite been at. But it's something I have no doubt about.

"We've been here before. When I first came in, there were a lot of games and new players coming in and, at that time, it was a new manager, but we eventually got to where we wanted to be.

"It's a combination of continual hard work on the training field - working even harder - and looking to really ensure we retain that confidence.

"And obviously cutting out mistakes. We've made mistakes in games, and we just need to make sure that under pressure - which you come under in games - you think clearly."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9484368/-No-Concerns-Whatsoever-About-Gerrard

The real problem is Stevie can't play in the def midfield position, never could even. And when you see likes of Agbonlahor and Downing hurrying him into mistakes by no more simple a manoeuvre than harrying him and giving him no chance on the ball, then you'd think Rodgers would wake up. By the statement no chance...if he plays tonight and not rested for Everton, then i truly have seen it all.

If Gerrard still has a place in the team, be it sub or starter, that's where rafa used to play him, just behind torres in a thoughtful no physically demanding role. Then again that was 5 years ago. His time is nearly up.

Lucky we bought a replacement though eh?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:00:48 PM by barticus »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
The real problem is Stevie can't play in the def midfield position, never could even. And when you see likes of Agbonlahor and Downing hurrying him into mistakes by no more simple a manoeuvre than harrying him and giving him no chance on the ball, then you'd think Rodgers would wake up. By the statement no chance...if he plays tonight and not rested for Everton, then i truly have seen it all.

If Gerrard still has a place in the team, be it sub or starter, that's where rafa used to play him, just behind torres in a thoughtful no physically demanding role. Then again that was 5 years ago. His time is nearly up.

Lucky we bought a replacement though eh?

yes, Downing clearly knew how to exploit Gerrard's weaknesses......i.e. harry and hassle him.

Gerrard would have played wide in midfield, in a Liverpool team of mine.....OR, he wouldn't have played at all.

It's very troubling when you see how we gifted the opposition their goals, in these opening games of the season.    e.g. Gerrard's long hopeless high ball being intercepted for the West Ham goal.....or Sakho's mad header back into no-man's land, which West Ham scored from.  Although then again, Sakho probably expected to see a Liverpool central midfielder in that vicinity (where he was heading towards).

One looks to see lessons being learned, after such hiccups.  But no, we make the same mistakes, over and over.

With Gerrard in the side, his lack of tactical discipline is most likely a tad contagious on others in the side.

His time is up.  Play him wide, in these final months of his time at Anfield, or don't play him at all.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »
One looks to see lessons being learned, after such hiccups.  But no, we make the same mistakes, over and over.

That is all we've asked from day one. No-one expects overnight miracles, just some evidence of improvement beginning and then to see steady progress.

It's hard to accept Championship or Scottish football type defending, now into it's third season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
unless things improve, I think we are witnessing Rodgers final season at Anfield.

you'd be embarrassed if these types of mistakes were being made at championship level.

without a world class forward to keep opponents on the back-foot, we are now seeing our true level.

we will get better - but this feels like a spurs season (i.e. after spending a fortune in a summer, to supposedly  upgrade the team)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »
unless things improve, I think we are witnessing Rodgers final season at Anfield.

you'd be embarrassed if these types of mistakes were being made at championship level.

without a world class forward to keep opponents on the back-foot, we are now seeing our true level.

we will get better - but this feels like a spurs season (i.e. after spending a fortune in a summer, to supposedly  upgrade the team)

It's got the smell of Spurs, although just a whiff at the moment, it's still there all the same and the clear worry is it could very quickly become an overpowering stench.

Whilst we needed more in terms of squad numbers, bringing in so many brings it's own problems and therefore undermines the whole idea of strengthening.
One of the reasons we needed so many was the poor business in previous transfer windows leaving us short of the quantity of quality players needed.

Aspas, Alberto, Ilori and Cissokho from last Summer for starters. If Cissokho had have done well he'd be in his second season already. Likewise the other three, but we've brought in players, wasted funds and are still left no further forward.

Maybe we could have given Suso a chance instead of buying Markovic for this season. £25M spent on two centre halves last Summer, bringing three in in total, and yet still we needed another £20M spending there and another player to integrate.

Two strikers, Can, another out and out defensive midfielder and a left back would have seen us strengthen, whilst only needing to integrate 3 players into the first 11 at any one time if the centre half positions had been sorted last Summer. Then right back in either January or next Summer.

Can could play at the base of the diamond, or on the left of it. Allen on the left if Can's playing at the base. Allen could cover Hendo on the right if he's out, Can on the left and said other defensive midfielder at the base. Two players in and it gives us two possibilities for each of the three positions.

We could have possibly left Manquillo until January though luckily we didn't with the way injuries have gone, or Kelly, who was fit most of last season could have actually been given an extended run until Flanno was back. Johnson's only earned himself a prolonged period on the sidelines with his performances over the last 18 months. Kelly's done very well so far this season at Palace and he'd have been like a new signing without the need to be integrated.

It may not have been the mass strengthening maybe some have said we needed, but it would have been more manageable, probably producing quicker and more sustainable improvement which then could have been built upon further next Summer. As it is instead of building on last season and solidifying our place in the top four as a base to build on again next Summer and continue the upward curve of overall improvement and progress, we could see ourselves back where we were at the end of 2012/13, with all of last season's benefit and improvement wiped away in one go and two more seasons passed, meanwhile the teams we want to be rivals to have strengthened further from where they were at the end of the 2012/13 season.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
So the bitters this Saturday in which both defences are shocking.

This would be my team:- Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Sterling, Balotelli, Lambert. In this formation:-

----------------------Mignolet------------------------

--Manquillo------Skrtel---Sakho-----Moreno-----

-----------------------Lucas------------------------

--------------Gerrard---------Henderson--------

----------------------Sterling----------------------

--------------Balotelli-------Lambert--------------

Get three strong (physically I mean) in the midfield to combat their midfielders. Sterling at the tip of the diamond.

I'd play two up front as well. IMO it will be our best chance to win having two up front. Both physically combative players who can also score from set pieces.

I don't expect to see that team though. I'd put Lallana on the bench as he played 120 minutes midweek so he come on from the bench for me.

Bitters will end their Anfield hoodoo one day so let's hope its not this Saturday!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

No chance in hell Rodgers is leaving at the end of this season. For that to happen dude we'd have to "finish below 8th, 30 plus points behind 4th place" (unless something happens off the field). AND EVEN THEN like LFC ALWAYS DO we'd give our managers an opportunity to turn it around. Except for Hodgson of course. Kenny was always really an interim so doesn't really count.

So basically there is 0.01% chance of Brendan leaving after this season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
So the bitters this Saturday in which both defences are shocking.

14-13 to us then.

Naismith is the worry. He finds space well as it between the midfield and defence and we're a complete vacuum there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
Kenny was always really an interim so doesn't really count.

Not on a three year contract he wasn't, and he was dispatched after one bad league, but trophy winning campaign.

So for you it's 8th or below and he's in danger?

That's a possibility. Despite what some would like to believe, our defending has been poor since day one, and if he had it in him to arrest the slide and strengthen the defensive side I'm sure he wouldn't be waiting until the second half of his third season until he does so.
I genuinely believe that's the glaring weakness in his whole philosophy and he doesn't know how to set up a team that's good going forward that's doing so from a strong defensive base.

He needs to bring in some help. The sum abilities of him and his coaching staff is what we've seen over the past two and a bit seasons and defence is our severed achilles, either that or he's wanting to build an attack minded team, playing the sort of football Arsenal have been doing under Wenger, that has had the pundits purring over, and wants it to be 'his' team they talk about the most and replace Wenger's lot in the pundits' and media's conscience.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
No chance in hell Rodgers is leaving at the end of this season. For that to happen dude we'd have to "finish below 8th, 30 plus points behind 4th place" (unless something happens off the field). AND EVEN THEN like LFC ALWAYS DO we'd give our managers an opportunity to turn it around.

edward, it was not very long ago, when we had a manager who finished second in the league, a mere 4 points behind the title winners, and who was sacked the next season (for finishing 7th).  Rafa was unceremoniously booted out, without any chance to turn it around.

from wikipedia

on 18 March 2009, shortly after registering a 4–0 victory over Real Madrid and 4–1 victory over Manchester United, Benítez signed a new five-year deal with the club. Benítez said "My heart is with Liverpool, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal, I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying.".   With 10 wins in their last 11 games, Liverpool finished the season on a high, finishing second in the league for the first time under Benítez, four points off champions Manchester United, with Liverpool playing an attractive brand of attacking football at odds

the following season - Liverpool's worst run in 22 years[30] combined with an exit from the Champions League at the group stages led to the first major vocal criticism of Benítez by Liverpool fans (Martin and his mate, Edward).

It was suggested that this Liverpool team was missing Benítez's characteristic defensive rigidness despite the fact that only Manchester United and Chelsea conceded fewer goals than Liverpool, and lacked the necessary depth to cope with injuries to key players such as Gerrard and Torres while Benítez's decision making was called into question.

Benítez left the club "by mutual consent" on 3 June 2010 with a reported £6m pay off; the media speculated that this was because the team had finished seventh in the Premier League missing out on the Champions League, and poor results such as the defeat by Wigan Athletic. Shortly after his departure from Anfield, Benítez made a £96,000 donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

*end of paste*

Rafa had been successful in his time at Anfield.....winning several trophies.....and got to two CL finals.

One blip, and he was gone.

Now, I happen to believe that our new owners would have not sacked him for that one blip.   

And maybe they will have more faith in holding onto Rodgers, should he have a bad season this year.

But I do not think 6th, 7th or 8th is on their radar.  With a large development going on, of the stadium, our owners will want to see progress on the pitch too.

Unlike Rafa, Rodgers has had a record-breaking summer of cash to spend. 

And I happen to suspect that Brendan has probably alienated a few people - like Reina and Agger.

Given how far up his own ar.s.e that our manager is, I think many will come out of the woodwork when things go south. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
Rafa wasn't sacked for on the field results though. He was sacked because he and Purslow/H&G had an untenable relationship.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »
Rafa wasn't sacked for on the field results though. He was sacked because he and Purslow/H&G had an untenable relationship.

shankly had issues with the liverpool board

so did clough at derby, leeds and forest.

ferguson had issues, at times, with his board at united....indeed even falling out with major shareholders (over a race horse).

as for Rafa......tell me, who doesn't have issues with Hicks and Gillett?  Two of the scummiest barstewards ever to have set foot in Anfield.

On the contrary, I'd have been very very concerned if Rafa had got on with the two c.u.nts.

Rafa was the best manager at the club since Bob Paisley.  IMHO   Sacking him was a crime against humanity.   

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
Yet we only challenged for the title once under him. The same amount of times as your anti-christ Brendan Rodgers.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
Incredible really Moreno starts over Enrique. Why not keep Enrique and Sakho. This doesn't bode well.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Incredible really Moreno starts over Enrique. Why not keep Enrique and Sakho. This doesn't bode well.

Is Enrique totally fit? I wonder whether he's having to be eased back in.

As for Sakho? Who knows what goes through the manager's head where defence is concerned.