November 12, 2019, 12:52:23 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 170347 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
Yet we only challenged for the title once under him. The same amount of times as your anti-christ Brendan Rodgers.

224, do you have some sort of personal connection to Rodgers? Benitez was 'the anti-christ' plenty of times too. It's nothing personal.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
..... Sakho. This doesn't bode well.

http://backpagefootball.com/pic-sakho-walks-anfield-dropped/84563/

Keep chopping and changing the defence will never see partnerships formed and understandings developed. He did this last season, granted, sometimes it was forced on him, and it didn't work then either.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
Who knows what goes through the manager's head where defence is concerned.

probably air - or the sound of wind whistling
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:09:59 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
Is Enrique totally fit? I wonder whether he's having to be eased back in.

As for Sakho? Who knows what goes through the manager's head where defence is concerned.

Fit or not he sure as hell looked fit enough for me against Boro. Sakho not even on the bench so there might be niggle or something.

Good first half after all. A tad worrying we're not up by 1 or 2. Need to take Markovic and Sterling off for Coutinho and Lambert.

Come on you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
Good to see Suso rewarded for his hard work and performances when given the opportunities.  ::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »

Good first half after all. A tad worrying we're not up by 1 or 2. Need to take Markovic and Sterling off for Coutinho and Lambert.

I'd initially just swop Markovic for Lambert, go with the diamond, Sterling at it's tip, Lallana on the left. Consider bringing Suso on later. I'd leave Coutinho where he is as he's out of form. Markovic will take time to settle and adapt I think. Whilst he needs time and match exposure, we're not in a situation to give him full games if he's not contributing a great deal.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »
Again and again and again..........

Lovren, Markovic and Balotelli are terrible signings. Absolutely terrible.

Lallana and Moreno shining lights though.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »
224, do you have some sort of personal connection to Rodgers? Benitez was 'the anti-christ' plenty of times too. It's nothing personal.

No I don't and I am criticising Brendan this season believe me. But I am not in the business of re-writing history to skew an discussing my way. Rafa likes facts, so should Dude. So I listed a few. Deal with it.

But yeah I am criticising Brendan a hell of a lot. We need a settled defence. I don't particularly care who it is - even if I think Lovren is crap and Sakho is a our best defender - we just need to keep the same back four week in and week out and it will settle the whole team.

I think some of the signings have been very poor and some excellent. Markovic I can't see what he provides. We could have signed a dozen better players then him for that money. Lovren for £20m is a complete joke. We could have gone MUCH better defenders for that money. Lallana and Moreno are class acts.

So I don't kiss Brendan's backside and he deserves criticism.

Our CL hopes are 90% over now. Just got to try and win a cup and finish 5th/6th and get into europe next season.

Hell it might be easier getting back into the CL by winning the europa than getting into the top 4.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
Again and again and again..........

Lovren, Markovic and Balotelli are terrible signings. Absolutely terrible.

Lallana and Moreno shining lights though.

The same Moreno that almost gave a Point away in the dying seconds by giving away a totally needless free-kick?

Balotelli arguably our best player today behind Lallana.

Other than that an extremely unlucky draw. As I've said before we will miss out on 4th with quite a margin finishing some 20 points worse this season than last. I hear Sakho stormed out of the dressing room after being dropped and I totally understand him. I question Rodgers more and more. He drops one of the finest CB's in the League but allow Marcovic and Sterling underperform in a derby without taking due action.

We are a mid-table club in everything we do like paying 20 million for Markovic suggest that. Sterling heavily overrated.

I'll be fornicating happy if we make the top-half. Rodger's just another Liverpool manager who failed to build on a runner's up place.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »
I actually like Balotelli but he hasn't got the movement we need from a striker for our attacking midfielders to thrive. We made the wrong decision in signing him as a direct replacement for Suarez.

As an additional striker as a supplement to that replacement striker he'd have been perfect in that regard.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
But yeah I am criticising Brendan a hell of a lot.

So I don't kiss Brendan's backside and he deserves criticism.

So untether your high horse, slap it on the bottom and let it bolt, and quit jumping on others when they do the same.

Everybody's having a go this season, and rightly so, like last season when he was rightly being praised (despite his refusal to do anything about the defending), by everyone.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
The same Moreno that almost gave a Point away in the dying seconds by giving away a totally needless free-kick?

When we were going through the torture of signing him it was pointed out that Moreno's defending was not his strongest point. He has been far better than I expected him to be.

It seems a consistent theme amongst pro footballers that they make unnecessary, silly, pointless attempts at tackles, and hence fouls and are no less likely to do it in what us mere mortals would see as being dangerous areas.

So far he's definitely in the 'success' column, though it's massively early days either way. Likewise Lallana. As his match fitness and sharpness develops, he is looking better and better. His pre-season injury is looking like a bigger and bigger turning point in our early season slump.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2014, 04:28:46 PM »
We need a settled defence.

That's definitely part of the problem, but the real issue is his coaching and philosophy. It's been clear since before the end of the first season that this is either a massive blind spot or he just doesn't know how, when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

Lovren, Skrtel, Sakho, Kelly now he's left - all examples of players who are or have been worse than they've been under other managers and in Lovren and Sakho's cases, other teams. Kelly's been superb at Palace by all accounts, but then we know that Pulis and Wazzack can at least coach the defensive basics to a more than functional standard.

Rodgers needs to lose the ego, swallow his pride and get himself some help with this side of the game.

What else is stopping him correct something that's been glaringly obvious throughout his time here?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »
I think some of the signings have been very poor and some excellent. Markovic I can't see what he provides. We could have signed a dozen better players then him for that money. Lovren for £20m is a complete joke. We could have gone MUCH better defenders for that money. Lallana and Moreno are class acts.

Your first sentence pretty much sums it up for me. Most of our transfer business has been unimaginative and uninspiring over the past two Summers. The first Summer I'm happy enough to put down to a new manager coming in and not knowing what he had and what he needed, which will always be the case.

Why did someone at the club think it was a good idea to bring in Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows from City?
City of all places. A club that has just gone out and paid however much was required to buy all the known players they have since the new owners came in. Even Chelsea at least have scouted and brought in some 'lesser names' and assembled quite a few excellent young players over the last 5 or 6 years.

Our budget buys have been total duds. We've been buying the likes or Ilori and Alberto and now Markovic as players for the future (I think), when we're not at a stage where we can do that. We've handsomely overpaid time and again, and now matter how much or little (Assaidi) we've paid, it keeps proving to be very poor value, both in monetary and footballing terms.

Was there a planned list for the scenario of Suarez staying, another if he left, yes he really was that important to warrant such an approach, or have we just carried on 'regardless', because where was the plan to deal with his leaving? We cast around cluelessly and desperately to get a striker, any striker, even though the writing was clearly on the wall after last Summer and with the definitive clause in his new contract in December, yet we've acted like we were taken totally by surprise by him leaving. If Balotelli was the answer then it required a different way of playing to utilise his strengths as he doesn't really fit into the way we played last season. And if we therefore require a different approach, have we bought players to suit that different approach, or does Balotelli just get shoehorned in and hope it works?

Was Markovic, Lovren and Lallana really the best we could get for the fees paid? And what about midfield? Too few goals, too little creation unless we can hit teams quick on the break, or win the game in the first 20 minutes and where's the defensive protection? Relying on a back four that's quite often a back two when you send your full backs marauding forward at the same time, is mindless stupidity, boarding on negligence.

The sheer amount of players brought in is also a problem. Whilst I agree that we were short on numbers and we discussed the fact we only had a core of 13-16 players who were of the standard required, by bringing in large numbers to bulk up squad numbers, you can undermine the very thing you're trying to strengthen - the first 11 selected on any day. Afterall, the squad is there to funnel down to create the strongest and most suitable first 11 (and bench) possible for any given match. In trying to strengthen the squad numbers we've arguably weakened the best first 11s we can put out.