January 29, 2020, 12:34:27 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 192469 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
looks like my evil twin, TheyPissedonMyRug, hacked Martin's account in here, and has been posting all manner of stuff.   ;D

PS Martin, I gotta agree with most of what you say.   For me it has always been the lack of balance.  The lack of balance, or ability to create it by the boss, was masked previously by having a world class forward, who always kept the opposition on the back foot.

Without Suarez, we are now on the back foot.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
paddypower has Rafa as top choice - at 9/1 - to be our new manager.

just sayin....
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
paddypower has Rafa as top choice - at 9/1 - to be our new manager.

just sayin....

Dude must have shares the Can o'worms business.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:12 AM »
 :D

and perfect timing too.  He leaves Napoli and comes home to his homestead in Liverpool.

Return of the Rafa.

The new players could learn so much under the master.

And the new Spanish kids, i.e. the two full-backs, would feel right at home, under his expert guidance.

Just sayin...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
Mario Balotelli is an overpaid penalty taker! Brendan Rodgers is setting himself up for a fall with this one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2774546/Mario-Balotelli-overpaid-penalty-taker-Brendan-Rodgers-setting-fall.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

What a terrible article. The reason supporters are picking up on any positives is because they want him to succeed and are therefore being 'supportive' and encouraging in order to make him feel 'loved and wanted' and hopefully help and the manager get the best from him.

No mention of the real problem - the fact he's not a pacy forward, with great movement that combines with his other forward team mates to form a fluid and interchanging front line.

He may not be the most clinical finisher, but Suarez's finishing was not better in his first season and a half, and he didn't finish every opportunity that came his. Suarez mostly got more chances per game than Balotelli has so far. Again, that's a point Durham misses.

Balotelli's not been great, but let's keep some perspective. Suarez was about the same age when we signed him and only really became prolific and more clinical in his third season (or second full one). Whilst Balotelli will never be the mobile, fast paced striker Suarez was, he can increase his conversion rate of chances into goals, and improve a lot in that area like Suarez did. Also he's shown an ability to hold the ball and bring others into play. Workrate can always be improved upon too.

We may have to alter the way we attack and build to get the best from Balotelli, but that's the manager's job to sort that out, having decided to sign him, hopefully, you'd think he already had the ideas of how to incorporate him the best way.

Additionally, he's been unlucky that his strike partner has been injured, and we've not really got a suitable replacement, so he's found himself up front on his own too much.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
Rodgers is right that Sturridge shouldn't play for England - Danny Welbeck should

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-rodgers-is-right-that-sturridge-shouldnt-play-for-england--danny-welbeck-should-9766725.html

WOW!!!! Patrick Barclay breaks a lifelong habit and written something that is 'common sense'.

It still manages to have an anti-LFC, and specifically Rodgers theme to it, even though he's agreeing with Rodgers' sentiments.

"England training, meanwhile, should be designed in consultation with club medical experts. That’s how the system should operate and, as Rodgers well knows, does."

So which is it, should or does operate like that?
If it does then it didn't in Sturridge's case, and not only have we lost the player for a number of games, Hodgson has lost him for 3 games too. All avoidable. All down to Hodgson's jurassic attitude and methods.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Liverpool set to offer Steven Gerrard fresh contract despite dip in form

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/402646/Liverpool-Steven-Gerrard-contract

Madness! We and he (Gerrard) can afford to wait until the end of the season, especially as contracts tend to run to the end of June or July, to decide if it's warranted.
On his form at the end of last season, and so far this season (on free kick excepted), he is not up to the standard required.

Gerrard also needs to accept his failing performance levels and sensibly end his top class career at the end of the season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Rodgers is right that Sturridge shouldn't play for England - Danny Welbeck should

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-rodgers-is-right-that-sturridge-shouldnt-play-for-england--danny-welbeck-should-9766725.html

WOW!!!! Patrick Barclay breaks a lifelong habit and written something that is 'common sense'.

It still manages to have an anti-LFC, and specifically Rodgers theme to it, even though he's agreeing with Rodgers' sentiments.

"England training, meanwhile, should be designed in consultation with club medical experts. That’s how the system should operate and, as Rodgers well knows, does."

So which is it, should or does operate like that?
If it does then it didn't in Sturridge's case, and not only have we lost the player for a number of games, Hodgson has lost him for 3 games too. All avoidable. All down to Hodgson's jurassic attitude and methods.

England boss Roy Hodgson in crunch talks over whether to call up Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/england-boss-roy-hodgson-in-crunch-talks-over-whether-to-call-up-liverpools-daniel-sturridge-9766861.html

"Meanwhile, Hodgson is likely to keep England’s crucial Under-21 play-off against Croatia in mind when naming his squad.

The youngsters will advance to next summer’s European Under-21 Championships if they win the two-leg tie, which takes place at Molineux on October 10, with the away game four days later.

The senior side’s games against San Marino and Estonia are scheduled for October 9 and October 12 respectively, meaning fringe players like Arsenal’s Calum Chambers and John Stones of Everton may be allowed to join with the Under-21s instead of the seniors. 
"

Sterling should play for the Under-21s also and not for the seniors in the two qualifiers. It's important that young players get a chance to experience tournament football, and Sterling playing for them will increase that chance.
Also, if Hodgson can't fashion a team to get past San Marino and Estonia without Sturridge and Sterling, then it's about time he goes back to amateur Scandinavian football, which is arguably still above his level.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
Sturridge should have refused to do the full training routine.

The clubs are in a difficult scenario, when trying to deal with the England setup.

BUT the player is in a much better position of power.

If I am a player, and I think the england coaches are not respecting my fitness concerns, I can threaten to pack my bags and head for home.  There is no criminal, or civil, law that forces someone to train and play for their country.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »

and perfect timing too.  He leaves Napoli and comes home to his homestead in Liverpool.

Return of the Rafa.

And the new Spanish kids, i.e. the two full-backs, would feel right at home, under his expert guidance.

Just sayin...

Yes he's doing such a superb job in Naples  ;D Where he has a chairman who has actually given him money. Shock horror!!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »
There is no criminal, or civil, law that forces someone to train and play for their country.

True, but there is FIFA's rules, and they have the power to ban/suspended a player from domestic football for not making themselves available (in every aspect of the term) for international football if selected.

As an international manager deals with the players for such a short period of time, they should adhere to the fitness regime the clubs develop. Due to Hodgson being a complete cretin and not doing so, he's not only cost us the usage of Sturridge, he's potentially cost himself 3 games loss also.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »

Return of the Rafa.

Just sayin...

Yes he's doing such a superb job in Naples  ;D Where he has a chairman who has actually given him money. Shock horror!!!!!

Bring back Pako Ayestarán!!!  ;D

and Steve Clarke  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
I wonder who's idea it was to bring in Balotelli. Rodgers doesn't appear to know how build a team to get the best out of Balotelli whilst not losing something from other players.
There's no doubt the team was built around Suarez, but it also appeared to benefit others too, and allowed the best to be brought out of other players.

He seems to be trying to get the best out of Balotelli but so far it's not working and it is lessening the effectiveness of other players too.

Balotelli just seems totally the wrong fit for the team and the collection of players the manager has to fashion a team out of.

I'm not sure what the easy answer is to our woeful transfer market performance over the last few years, but it seems to happen irrespective of who's manager.

We're a bit like a woman who always falls for the same, but wrong type of man every time, goes through the same problems, swears this is the last time and then does the same thing again next time.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »
Honestly can't wait for Saturday and the same formation and then the shock as we let in a shine-a-light, soft set piece goal and the shock as we have fork all presence up top and the shock when Hendo has a shed game trying to do four jobs at once and the shock when Mignolet looks dreadful again.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
I'd settle for a point at home to WBA at this time. Seriously, I would.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.