January 19, 2020, 01:36:55 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 189432 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
Lallana back in the England. Hopefully the fool in charge will realise he is still making his way back after injury and adhere to any training/recovery schedule he's been informed of. Hopefully the matches will allow him to build match fitness (as long as he isn't overworked and re-injured).
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
Roy Hodgson goes to WAR with Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers insisting no one has two days off

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/402878/Roy-Hodgson-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-England

"Two days off". Sturridge doesn't get two days off, neither does he 'not train'. He has warm down routines, and strengthening routines, which is training. He also does ball work. What he doesn't do is sprints, and exercises which require sudden twists or changes of direction at speed.

There would be plenty of work he could do developing his partnership with Rooney that didn't put his muscle health at risk. Maybe Hodgson needs to go around a few clubs and learn some 'modern' training techniques that are developed scientifically.

I wonder how the England players enjoy star jumps and leap frog?  ;D   

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
a foreign manager would have been sacked, by the England bosses, for being so poor in their job.

and the media would have made their position impossible.

So why the heck is Hodgson still England manager?   He is about the worst in my lifetime (though it is a tight race between him and the dutch-speaker steve mcclaren)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
Roy Hodgson goes to WAR with Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers insisting no one has two days off

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/402878/Roy-Hodgson-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-England

Woy reckons that "The injury was unfortunate but if I am going to be under pressure to give players two days off every time they play then we won't train.  They can't have two days off."

WTF is this moron blathering on about.  What is the use of forcing a player to train, and then see him subsequently injured, and have to sit out the subsequent England game anyway?

What value is that to england, to liverpool, to the player?

Common sense, Roy.  Common sense.

Listen to the lad.  He knows his body better than you do.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »
:D   :D   :D
:D

I need to make my humour MORE obvious!!!!!!

ED steals my double entendre joke, and milks the laughs!

;D
:P

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »
He is about the worst in my lifetime (though it is a tight race between him and the dutch-speaker steve mcclaren)

pronounced Shteeve in Holland.   ;D 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
So now it's open season on Balotelli:

Mario Balotelli was the best Liverpool could get, admits Brendan Rodgers

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/02/mario-balotelli-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-luis-suarez

Full of excuses.

Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers running out of patience with Mario Balotelli

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/518097/Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-Mario-Balotelli-patience

More BS and excuses.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
Ian Herbert: Brendan Rodgers' faith in Mario Balotelli is seriously misplaced

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ian-herbert-brendan-rodgers-faith-in-mario-balotelli-is-seriously-misplaced-9771506.html

Pretty balanced piece. It's not 'having a go', just telling it as it is.

Our whole strategy has proven to be flawed. Our priority was to strengthen the defensive side of our game. Then when the inevitable happened, it was also to replace Suarez.
Suarez leaving was hardly a surprise. So where was the planning for when it did. It was definitely a case of when and not if.

Surely as we upgrade the previous starters in the first 11, the squad is automatically deepened and strengthened, as the previous first choices become cover/competition, improving on the previous cover/competition or in some cases actually becoming the cover/competition where none was present before.
You don't buy 'squad players'. They are the previous first choices that have been upgraded and young players on the 'up'.

Did Rogers fool himself into thinking that Suarez wouldn't leave just because we challenged for the league and gained CL football for this season? Did his ego get in the way of common sense?

Was his ego at work again in signing Balotelli, mistakenly thinking he could do what other more experienced managers had failed to? Wanting to prove a point again? Because Luis behaved himself in a red shirt last season, and improved his goalscoring under Rodgers' reign, did Rodgers think he would therefore automatically do the same with Mario?
What about the fact that Balotelli doesn't fit our style of play? Wasn't that even seen or considered? Or did Rodgers think he could totally 're-model' Balotelli's game?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
Surely as we upgrade the previous starters in the first 11, the squad is automatically deepened and strengthened, as the previous first choices become cover/competition, improving on the previous cover/competition or in some cases actually becoming the cover/competition where none was present before.
You don't buy 'squad players'. They are the previous first choices that have been upgraded and young players on the 'up'.

Did Rogers fool himself into thinking that Suarez wouldn't leave just because we challenged for the league and gained CL football for this season? Did his ego get in the way of common sense?

Was his ego at work again in signing Balotelli, mistakenly thinking he could do what other more experienced managers had failed to? Wanting to prove a point again? Because Luis behaved himself in a red shirt last season, and improved his goalscoring under Rodgers' reign, did Rodgers think he would therefore automatically do the same with Mario?
What about the fact that Balotelli doesn't fit our style of play? Wasn't that even seen or considered? Or did Rodgers think he could totally 're-model' Balotelli's game?

spot on points.

it's been a Spurs Summer (TM Dude Enterprises......lest Cuckoo Ed be sniffing around   ;D )

I think the Ego will pay with his job.

Balotelli is not a Liverpool type player.  He just does not to the work needed.  He has a spliff and scratches his ar.se when he doesn't have the ball.   

I had hoped for better - but then I am not a full time professional scout.  I am only seeing him play now.

the lad on the wing, bought from Benfica, does not look up to much.

And our morons, with our midfield woes obvious to even stevie wonder, are supposedly about to gve gerrard a new three year contract.

like people are gonna be asking, WTF is going on at anfield.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
spot on points.

it's been a Spurs Summer (TM Dude Enterprises......lest Cuckoo Ed be sniffing around   ;D )

I think the Ego will pay with his job.

Balotelli is not a Liverpool type player.  He just does not to the work needed.  He has a spliff and scratches his ar.se when he doesn't have the ball.   

I had hoped for better - but then I am not a full time professional scout.  I am only seeing him play now.

the lad on the wing, bought from Benfica, does not look up to much.

And our morons, with our midfield woes obvious to even stevie wonder, are supposedly about to gve gerrard a new three year contract.

like people are gonna be asking, WTF is going on at anfield.

This season is worse than his first one. It will be interesting if things don't pick up massively and soon, if we hear murmurings from Boston.
May could prove interesting if we finish outside the top four, as Dalglish will attest to.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »

Leaving the problem to his successor then?  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
This season is worse than his first one. It will be interesting if things don't pick up massively and soon, if we hear murmurings from Boston.
May could prove interesting if we finish outside the top four, as Dalglish will attest to.

yes, this will most likely be rodgers last at the club.

It's amazing to hear myself saying that, given the amazing season we had last season.

BUT, it appears that Suarez was the one who papered over all the cracks......and it appears that we have actually gone backwards, re our supposed efforts at upgrading the team in the summer.

Rodgers has a massive job on his hands, turning our dismal run of form around in the next number of weeks.

A mid-table Liverpool come December, may see Rodgers getting his P45.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:08 AM »
Leaving the problem to his successor then?  :D

well given how our two national treasures, and henree winter, did for Rafa, rodgers is maybe wise to be apprehensive dealing with Captain Marvel.

:)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »
well given how our two national treasures, and henree winter, did for Rafa, rodgers is maybe wise to be apprehensive dealing with Captain Marvel.

:)

Brendan's birth certificate gives him far more insulation from the likes of plum gob Henry and Walrus Samuel etc, and now Gerrard isn't part of 'club England', in fact he's a 'deserter'.
I think Rodgers biggest backlash would come from certain sections of the fanbase, who either prefer to turn a blind eye, or are blinded to Gerrard's demise, or feel being anything but 'gushing' about Gerrard at all times is being 'disloyal' and 'unsupportive'.

However, it wouldn't stop any of them playing to the gallery with at least one 'opinion piece' each, but I don't think they'd dwell too long on it. His international obituary was a short one.

They've got enough of a job propping their mate 'Woy' up, especially after England scrape a narrow victory against San Marino, and an even harder fought draw against the might of Estonia. All of which will be built up as some marvelous achievement and the start of an era of international dominance by 'Hodgy'.

I don't want the 'legend' of Gerrard to be tarnished by an undignified and embarrassing end, the same reason I didn't want Dalglish back as manager. It's a bit like trying to remember your Grandparents as they were when you were young and not how they ended up an undignified mess due to the misplaced ideals of the 'hypocratic oath' etc.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 03, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
Based purely on hope, and the fact that no club's run of any sort lasts indefinitely, I'm not worried about the WBA game. If we lose, I'll hardly be shocked or angry, as my expectation levels are nil at the moment.
If we win, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm more bothered at the moment about seeing signs of an improved performance, the correct team selection and formation, genuine improved defending (not the 'luck' we had against Spurs), us playing with cohesion, getting back to the pressing of opponents and seeing a fight and strong desire to win and succeed from every player that wears red in the game, than the result. That at least would give us something to build on.

The reason we're so poor this season is partly due to the fact that the defensive deficiencies that have been there since day one and were present at Swansea too, have been completely overlooked and ignored by Rodgers and the coaching team.

They spent their whole time standing admiring the wallpaper and decoration on half the room, whilst making sure their collective backs were firmly turned on that six inch wide fissure, due to heavy subsidence, running from ceiling to floor, and it was kept out of eye line at all times.

What is noticeable is how Rodgers is now mentioning individuals, pointing the finger at them, and it feels like an attempt to divert attention from the responsibility he bears as the manager. I'm now more convinced than ever that he doesn't have a clue how to set up or coach the defensive side of the game, and the beliefs he's built up unchallenged and untested over his 20 year coaching, pre-management career, are proving to be misplaced, but he either doesn't want to acknowledge this, or knows that he doesn't have the ability or understanding as to how to correct and implement the necessary changes.

That article (in the Guardian, I think it was) about how he grew up loving Brazilian football, and his affection for the tiki taka style of Barcelona and Spain (both of which appear to have served their time as the brand of football), has meant he has a utopian view of football. The crass and sour comments he made after Chelsea's smash and grab at Anfield last season displayed his idealistic views, whilst totally overlooking the real practicalities of football.

Whether he has the strength of character to admit his weaknesses and bring in some experience and knowledge to help him out, is debatable, I think.

The true greats of football management were always quick to admit (privately at least) their own flaws and weakness and have the strength of character to at least do something about it. If Rodgers doesn't want the career long tag of 'one season wonder' then he needs to do the same, and quickly.