January 19, 2020, 01:48:14 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 189435 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »
Based purely on hope, and the fact that no club's run of any sort lasts indefinitely, I'm not worried about the WBA game. If we lose, I'll hardly be shocked or angry, as my expectation levels are nil at the moment.
If we win, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm more bothered at the moment about seeing signs of an improved performance, the correct team selection and formation, genuine improved defending (not the 'luck' we had against Spurs), us playing with cohesion, getting back to the pressing of opponents and seeing a fight and strong desire to win and succeed from every player that wears red in the game, than the result. That at least would give us something to build on.

That echoes, word for word, my sentiments. In that regard I could even accept defeat if Everything else you mention showed signs of improvement (I know there's an inherent contradiction saying that but you get me catch, right?). Or to put it differently, I'd be more pissed off by another scrappy and somewhat undeserved win, than dropping points showing signs better times may lie ahead.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
That echoes, word for word, my sentiments. In that regard I could even accept defeat if Everything else you mention showed signs of improvement (I know there's an inherent contradiction saying that but you get me catch, right?). Or to put it differently, I'd be more pissed off by another scrappy and somewhat undeserved win, than dropping points showing signs better times may lie ahead.

Whilst points are always important (obviously), the wins over Southampton and Spurs have done nothing for our season.

So far, of the main and expected rivals, only Chelsea have really started well. It's therefore vital that we start to get everything together with a view to being able to climb the table and spend the rest of the season, once up there, playing at a level that allows us to stay up there and gives us a chance of a top four finish. That's looking far less likely than at the start of the season, but it has to still be the target, and one by which the manager and players should be judged at the end of the season.

With Rodgers now seemingly admitting that the number of faces has seriously disrupted everything (something which has always held true in football), surely it makes sense to offer Suso, for example, a new contract. That gives us a further option to the squad that we didn't have last season, and if utilised once his injury has healed, will be like a new addition, but without the need to settle in in any way.

I'm also hoping he doesn't try and 'correct' things too much in January, as that's only going to bring more disruption. He needs to work with what he's got, what he chose to bring in, and get them functioning like a unit once more. Stability of squad and team is a vital ingredient, and despite the squad needing strengthening, trying to do it all in one window has undermined the whole thing rather than improving the situation.

It would have been better to have had a slightly bigger squad than last season, though still below the ideal numbers, that actually allowed functioning first 11s to be selected from it, than the mishmash we have now, though numbers are more favourable.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
West Brom have earned consecutive league victories for the first time since September last year.
They've kept back-to-back Premier League clean sheets for the first time since April 2012, when they kept three in a row.
Their 4-0 victory over Burnley was their biggest since 2012.
Saido Berahino is the leading English scorer in the Premier League this season with four goals.

Compared to us they sound like the defending PL and CL Champions.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
 :D

last season, we would be looking foward to it being a case of how many we would whip WBA by.......3 or 4 goals.

today, a scrappy 2-1 would suffice, given our limited expectations right now.

my fear would be a high scoring draw - 2-2 or a 3-3.....or getting beaten......with a rampant WBA running midfield and taking our defence apart at will.

But being a positive person -   :P   -  I will go for a 2-1 win for the reds. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »

I share your positivity. 2-1 to us. them.  Someone, somewhere will win 2-1 today.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
:D

last season, we would be looking foward to it being a case of how many we would whip WBA by.......3 or 4 goals.

today, a scrappy 2-1 would suffice, given our limited expectations right now.

my fear would be a high scoring draw - 2-2 or a 3-3.....or getting beaten......with a rampant WBA running midfield and taking our defence apart at will.

I'd settle for a goal, whether it hits the post, then hits their keeper on the side of the head, before going in off the post  (again). A goal. Just one of them, and no need to wash our bedding either.
They can have the lion's share of possession, chances etc.

We have a run of what should be regarded as 'more straightforward' games. Instead, they are looking more like a series of banana skins.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
I'd settle for a goal, whether it hits the post, then hits their keeper on the side of the head, before going in off the post  (again). A goal. Just one of them, and no need to wash our bedding either.
They can have the lion's share of possession, chances etc.

We have a run of what should be regarded as 'more straightforward' games. Instead, they are looking more like a series of banana skins.

Sturridge's injury could not have come at a worse time.

after hammering dortmund in pre-season, and getting a great win at spurs, we needed to build a momentum of post-suarez confidence up

instead, his injury has meant all our confidence has gone.....and like you say, these run of games are banana skins.

but i do expect a hard fought scrappy victory today, by a goal.

rodgers has to arrest thus bad run - if he fails, he will be on his bike.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
Hmm. mixed feelings. We were terrible for much of first half with Sterling, Lambert and Coutinho being an utter and complete waste in that order. Lallana the only light and deservedly got a brilliant goal just before half-time.

Second half better and I felt we were unlucky to concede. As it turned out it was the only chance worthy of mentioning they managed to create. We were better after the goal and especially so after Balotelli came on. I feel sorry for Lambert as this is sooo much above his level.

I am still critical of Rodgers for how he's treated Sakho and Balotelli. I think it is criminal to play Sterling for Another 90 minutes when it's obvious the fella's totally out of confidence. He's so poor I feel sorry for him.

Henderson should recieve applause for setting up Lallana and slotting hom the match winner. Besides that I didn't take much notice of him. Nor did I of Gerrard.

Another fornicating break coming up. It's good going into it with a win but I'd rather we've played another game with a chance to win it and a few more points giving us a better position before the break. But it is what it is.

Unfortunately the Mancs will absolutely trash Everton tomorrow and Chelsea. Also, Chelsea will rip Arsenal to pieces once more. Hopefully Villa can show some of the attitude they displayed at Anfield a few weeks back and get something against City.

QPR away up next. No excuses really.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
disjointed.

we had spells - first 15 mins we were on top.......but we did not have a suarez to put chances away.

then wba had their spell.

too much too and fro.......we need more balance.   We need to have some structure to our play.  It just seems so random.  We attack, then they attack.  It's like jumpers for goal posts.  Like a match you;d see on any primary school yard.   There seems no sense to it all. 

And the team knows too well, that they are in bad shape.   Seems little point in analysing individual performances, when the side is so unbalanced.

Rodgers looks out of touch.  The emperor has no clothes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 06, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
Hmm. mixed feelings. We were terrible for much of first half with Sterling, Lambert and Coutinho being an utter and complete waste in that order. Lallana the only light and deservedly got a brilliant goal just before half-time.

Coutinho is right out of form. Sterling needs a rest. Lambert needs a run of games. It's unrealistic to expect him to come straight in and connect with his team mates when  he's had precious little game time with them.

Lallana is starting to show what a big miss he was at the start of the season. I worry even at this early stage Markovic may be a bad buy.

I'm still not convinced that Rodgers is convinced by some of Summer signings and it's not taken him long to turn on Balotelli. He knew what he was getting before he even signed him.

How can Balotelli be the only striker available in our price range?  Suarez leaves, surely we've a £75M budget for (a) striker(s).

Adding that comment in with the one Rodgers made about the signings being long term planned ones, did they know along Suarez was leaving this Summer and instead of that being priority no 1, they decided to deepen the squad by adding numbers (then see Rodgers comments about the problems that brings), even if it means weakening the first 11?

Utter chaos. The left hand is waving whilst the right one is trying to give a round of applause.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »
What striker is out there then that would A) come here and B) offer us similarities of Suarez?

Higuain offers not much more than Balotelli.

Benzema? lol Madrid sold Higgers in the first place to keep Benzema. Plus he'd never leave Madrid for us.

Falcao? On £300,000 p/w no thanks.

Cavani? Again doesn't offer the same qualities as Suarez. Plus he's at PSG who forked out for him and tbh I'd rather have Balotelli over him.

Aguero? Yeah right!

Sanchez? Not a striker per se but he chose Arsenal over us.

Jovetic? City sold Negredo to keep him.

Negredo? Again offers same as Balotelli.

Lewandowski? Ran down his contract on purpose to join Bayern

Neymar? Barca would rather sell Messi than Neymar - yes I am serious.

At that top level who is there that we could have signed this summer? I want names please.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
There are strikers out there who share similar traits to Suarez albeit at a much lower level and I think we'd do well to buy one of them, but if/when we do then we have to realise, just like Suarez, whoever we buy will take 2-3 years to reach the top level.

I recently said that Balotelli would be a perfect complement striker rather than the direct Suarez replacement as we have lost that movement and work rate from Suarez. So we needed a striker who has movement and potential to have exceptional movement. Balotelli added to that would have been great.

But as a direct replacement he'll struggle and that's the way it is really.

So really Tier 1 strikers are off limits to us thus we have to look at Tier 2 and more specifically those within Tier 2 who can rise to Tier 1. I'm thinking along the lines of Insigne, Destro, Lacazette, Kokorin - well I've said these names many times!!

In regards to Lambert I think we're being to harsh on the guy. Just last season for the saints he was exceptional. He can't lose that in just one year. Lambert actually possess more movement than Balotelli - well he certainly showed that at Southampton.

QPR and Burnley up next then the Chavs.We'll probably get beat at QPR and beat Chelsea    :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
At that top level who is there that we could have signed this summer? I want names please.
Jesus, wasn't there some hullabaloo about the scouting set-up ages
ago - how fab and different it was etc.. & his unwavering faith in youth
another time.

Your question only makes sense if BR is one of us...

Instead he's the manager of LFC.

Don't give me this unsolvable problems crap. The managers job is to
find solutions and bear ultimate responsibility.

A more pertinent question would be, how many players has your man
signed who will seriously increase their value and be sought after by the
top teams in Europe? That's the question.

In the meantime, he comes out whinging to the media last week that he
spent £16 million on a player he didn't want. Jesus - the ex-Swansea manager.
& why the heck did he sign Fabio Borini? Then the injury to Sturridge
is somehow bad luck.

He signed £27 million worth of striking talent and yet faces a crisis when the other
striker isn't fit?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »

Name someone on here who is paid to know that, who's job it is to unearth (a) suitable way(s) to replace the goals and creation. The work rate should be there but we don't expect it to be manic.

I love it when ordinary fans expect other ordinary fans to have a more than encyclopaedic knowledge of players the world over, because that's the transfer pool we deal in.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2014, 11:32:36 PM »
In regards to Lambert I think we're being to harsh on the guy.

Who's the 'we', not having a go, just confused by who the 'we' is.  Lambert, like most strikers, needs pitch time. 10 mins here and there isn't enough. I thought it look like he'd lost weight looking at him in the WBA game.

Balotelli is no type of lone striker. No striker can feed on less than scraps. As Balotelli's game is to drop deep, and  he's certainly not a 6 yard box player, why hasn't he had a run with Lambert or even Borini as a partner.
Playing as the main striker could help Borini flourish as much as he is able.
Lambert would take the attention away for Balotelli, plus he occupies centre halves, giving Balotelli, or anyone else who gets in the box, more space.