February 26, 2020, 03:36:42 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 202500 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
What striker is out there then that would A) come here and B) offer us similarities of Suarez?

Higuain offers not much more than Balotelli.

Benzema? lol Madrid sold Higgers in the first place to keep Benzema. Plus he'd never leave Madrid for us.

Falcao? On £300,000 p/w no thanks.

Cavani? Again doesn't offer the same qualities as Suarez. Plus he's at PSG who forked out for him and tbh I'd rather have Balotelli over him.

Aguero? Yeah right!

Sanchez? Not a striker per se but he chose Arsenal over us.

Jovetic? City sold Negredo to keep him.

Negredo? Again offers same as Balotelli.

Lewandowski? Ran down his contract on purpose to join Bayern

Neymar? Barca would rather sell Messi than Neymar - yes I am serious.

At that top level who is there that we could have signed this summer? I want names please.

How many of those are 'typical strikers' and how many are 'attackers' in a more general sense.

As Suarez wasn't a traditional striker, it gave us more scope. Also, as has been said numerous times, it's the 'effect' of Suarez we'd be trying to replace.
If you lose 31 goals (and for the sake of this let's pretend he would have repeated last season's feat though that's a debatable issue in itself), there's additional options to simply bringing in Mr X to replace Luis.

So the field and options aren't limited to just strikers. It's not even limited to just personnel. How about understanding reducing the need for as many goals? Change things so we don't need to score 3s and 4s just to stand a chance of getting 3 points, and that overlaps with the obvious deficiency in our play from last season, with or without Suarez, Sturridge or any other individual player.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »
How many of those are 'typical strikers' and how many are 'attackers' in a more general sense.
You're wasting your time Tes.

The Liverpool way is, lose Keegan, sign Dalglish.

How or why these things happen is not the concern of the fan,
because we have faith in the gaffer, who runs the football side
of things.

Now we come to Rodge, the muppet currently in charge, pines after
a player who no longer plays for us and signs a player to replace him
who he doesn't want.

You see for all I know, BR, could be the greatest manager in the world,
I'm sure 224 genuinely believes this. The point is he is not the Liverpool
manager. We are a vehicle for him, there is always his post-LFC career
to think about.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
You're wasting your time Tes.

The Liverpool way is, lose Keegan, sign Dalglish.

How or why these things happen is not the concern of the fan,
because we have faith in the gaffer, who runs the football side
of things.

Now we come to Rodge, the muppet currently in charge, pines after
a player who no longer plays for us and signs a player to replace him
who he doesn't want.

You see for all I know, BR, could be the greatest manager in the world,
I'm sure 224 genuinely believes this. The point is he is not the Liverpool
manager. We are a vehicle for him, there is always his post-LFC career
to think about.

Bu..bu..but, we're stronger without Suarez:

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool are stronger without Luis Suarez

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9443936/premier-league-gerrard-believes-liverpool-are-stronger-despite-suarez-sale

Liverpool stronger after Suarez exit, insists Rodgers

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-stronger-after-suarez-exit-insists-rodgers-30533578.html

Liverpool will survive without Suarez says Rodgers

"London (AFP) - Brendan Rodgers insists Liverpool will be even stronger next season despite the departure of star striker Luis Suarez."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/liverpool-survive-without-suarez-says-rodgers-184853095--sow.html

Ed, it's just us, we're obviously missing something.  ;D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
Ed, it's just us, we're obviously missing something.  ;D
Suarez?  :D :D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
What striker is out there then that would A) come here and B) offer us similarities of Suarez?

Higuain offers not much more than Balotelli.

Benzema? lol Madrid sold Higgers in the first place to keep Benzema. Plus he'd never leave Madrid for us.

Falcao? On £300,000 p/w no thanks.

Cavani? Again doesn't offer the same qualities as Suarez. Plus he's at PSG who forked out for him and tbh I'd rather have Balotelli over him.

Aguero? Yeah right!

Sanchez? Not a striker per se but he chose Arsenal over us.

Jovetic? City sold Negredo to keep him.

Negredo? Again offers same as Balotelli.

Lewandowski? Ran down his contract on purpose to join Bayern

Neymar? Barca would rather sell Messi than Neymar - yes I am serious.

At that top level who is there that we could have signed this summer? I want names please.

Yeapp, I've been contemplating the same chain of thoughts. Plus, I don't think Balotelli is half as bad as people make him out to be. The difference in class between him and Lambert on Saturday couldn't be more apparent. Also, why is no one mentioning by one fornicating word the fact Sterling missed out on a one on one with their keeper. I struggle to remember such a wasteful player in front of goal as Sterling. Easier then to run with the dogs and p**s on Balotelli. And by saying that I don't necessarily point fingers at people in this place.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:30:57 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
Suarez?  :D :D

Why the need to be so scornful? When I read the last pages through I don't see anything on Edward's part that merits this mocking. No need to indulge in namecalling vis a vis our manager either. Criticism is fine, bullying remarks is not. At least not in my book.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
Why the need to be so scornful?
Don't you worry Marx, it hasn't been forgotten how you
spent months swaggering around here claiming BR was
the Messiah. Surprised you have the nerve to show your
face, tbh.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2014, 02:57:09 PM »
Don't you worry Marx, it hasn't been forgotten how you
spent months swaggering around here claiming BR was
the Messiah. Surprised you have the nerve to show your
face, tbh.

You don't get it, do you? Admit, and it'll make you feel better.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
Easier then to run with the dogs and p**s on Balotelli. And by saying that I don't necessarily point fingers at people in this place.

He is a very easy target unfortunately. He simply, as yet, hasn't fitted in, but then his strengths haven't been played to, and the team hasn't been built to get the best out of him, like it was for Luis.

Sterling is still very young, and I think the lack of Sturridge, Coutinho's poor form, and Balotelli's different style, have made things difficult of late. His best position isn't out wide, and whilst yes he misses chances, so do far older, far more experienced players.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »
Criticism is fine, bullying remarks is not.

Who's bullying who, Martin?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
He is a very easy target unfortunately. He simply, as yet, hasn't fitted in, but then his strengths haven't been played to, and the team hasn't been built to get the best out of him, like it was for Luis.

Sterling is still very young, and I think the lack of Sturridge, Coutinho's poor form, and Balotelli's different style, have made things difficult of late. His best position isn't out wide, and whilst yes he misses chances, so do far older, far more experienced players.

You sum it up for me brilliantly there, Tes. Put that way I realise my recent criticism of Sterling might've been a tad unfair. But I maintain Rodger's and journos in general were very wrong to single Balotelli out as one of the main reasons we lost against Basel when in fact he created/helped create two brilliant chances that normally should've resulted in goal.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 09, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
But I maintain Rodger's and journos in general were very wrong to single Balotelli out as one of the main reasons we lost against Basel when in fact he created/helped create two brilliant chances that normally should've resulted in goal.

I find it hard to believe that Rodgers has come out in the media and criticised Balotelli. I don't like managers singling out players publicly.

Rodgers has been singling out players this season, but then not giving an honest team appraisal in aftermatch interviews. Two of my favourite managers for being honest about the team's performance are Mark Hughes and Fatty Bruce, as they will assess the team's performance as 'unacceptable' or 'not good enough', without ever highlighting individuals.

I don't see a problem with a manager publicly declaring his dissatisfaction with the 'team performance' and I don't think it hurts morale for the manager to confirm something the fans are thinking anyway, because players with the right mentality will understand the need to show a positive reaction and improvement in the next game, after the manager lays down that marker.

Individuals and individual team areas being publicly condemned is wrong, especially in our particular case, openly criticising the defence, when we've no record of being strong defensively under Rodgers' entire reign anyway.

The only time I've no problem wit a manager being less than positive about a player is if, for example, they get sent off for violent conduct or something similar, other than that, keep the criticism of individuals behind closed doors and to their face.

As a team we're not creating nearly as many good chances, so Balotelli's no different, in that if we're not creating chances for him, how can his goal scoring record be questioned. It's a team game, collective responsibility. He won't make something out of a lost cause as he's not got the mobility to go chasing lost causes over by the corner flag. He can't be blamed for not being the kind of attacker he simply isn't. He's far stronger in the air than Suarez, but as we didn't put Suarez in a position of having to compete for the ball aerially, numerous times a game, he was never shown up that way.

Rodgers knew the type of striker/attacker he was getting. He chose to try to integrate a lot of new players in one season. He chose to bring Balotelli into a team that would be unsettled and fragmented by 'too many' changes in one go. So when Balotelli is struggling to fit into a team seamlessly, that doesn't suit his strengths, that is trying to bed in a lot of new players and things don't work instantly and smoothly from the off, then Rodgers shouldn't be surprised and accept that the decisions that have been made this Summer have made him the architect of his own problems.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 09, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
Now Lovren's been injured on damned international duty:

Liverpool WORRY as Dejan Lovren withdraws from international duty through injury

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/520585/Liverpool-Dejan-Lovren-injury

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 10, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »
I find it hard to believe that Rodgers has come out in the media and criticised Balotelli. I don't like managers singling out players publicly.

Rodgers has been singling out players this season, but then not giving an honest team appraisal in aftermatch interviews. Two of my favourite managers for being honest about the team's performance are Mark Hughes and Fatty Bruce, as they will assess the team's performance as 'unacceptable' or 'not good enough', without ever highlighting individuals.

I don't see a problem with a manager publicly declaring his dissatisfaction with the 'team performance' and I don't think it hurts morale for the manager to confirm something the fans are thinking anyway, because players with the right mentality will understand the need to show a positive reaction and improvement in the next game, after the manager lays down that marker.

Individuals and individual team areas being publicly condemned is wrong, especially in our particular case, openly criticising the defence, when we've no record of being strong defensively under Rodgers' entire reign anyway.

The only time I've no problem wit a manager being less than positive about a player is if, for example, they get sent off for violent conduct or something similar, other than that, keep the criticism of individuals behind closed doors and to their face.

As a team we're not creating nearly as many good chances, so Balotelli's no different, in that if we're not creating chances for him, how can his goal scoring record be questioned. It's a team game, collective responsibility. He won't make something out of a lost cause as he's not got the mobility to go chasing lost causes over by the corner flag. He can't be blamed for not being the kind of attacker he simply isn't. He's far stronger in the air than Suarez, but as we didn't put Suarez in a position of having to compete for the ball aerially, numerous times a game, he was never shown up that way.

Rodgers knew the type of striker/attacker he was getting. He chose to try to integrate a lot of new players in one season. He chose to bring Balotelli into a team that would be unsettled and fragmented by 'too many' changes in one go. So when Balotelli is struggling to fit into a team seamlessly, that doesn't suit his strengths, that is trying to bed in a lot of new players and things don't work instantly and smoothly from the off, then Rodgers shouldn't be surprised and accept that the decisions that have been made this Summer have made him the architect of his own problems.

Amen to that. Brilliantly put. Alarm bells are ringing out loudly over his different treatment of players which, as you say, equals his need to blame individuals rather than the team, let alone himself. Best of them all in this aspect of management, at least in the modern era, was, as much as I hate to admit it, Fergie.

As I said, it worries the hell out of me Rodgers treat players so differently. Balotelli, Sakho and Suso never gets a fair chance to prove their worth, whereas Sterling, Henderson and Sturridge will have the entire team geared towards strenghtening their confidence. For all the goals Sturridge have scored I rate him behind Torres, Owen and Fowler. I am not convinced he will return as the saviour of our season. Henderson has improved but just like Lucas he's only good when the team plays well with the occasional exception. I don't understand why playing a low on confidence Sterling's gonna help him. At this time I even think Assaidi would do a better job.

I really got a feeling the dressing room ain't that tight Rodgers say it is and it is all his own fault.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 10, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
Emre Can might be in contention for the QPR game...i'd heard he was out for 6 weeks but with Sturridge coming back as well, we could be seriously reinforced for the game...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-liverpool-fc-reporter-james-7915696