January 22, 2020, 10:48:45 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 190797 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #330 on: October 10, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
Emre Can might be in contention for the QPR game...i'd heard he was out for 6 weeks but with Sturridge coming back as well, we could be seriously reinforced for the game...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-liverpool-fc-reporter-james-7915696

Only on paper I'm afraid, in reality we're looking at the Newcastle game to see them hitting some sort of form at the earliest. I so hope Allen's back soon. Our best player by some margin until he got injured.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 11, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
I think what's most worrying is that whilst we seem to have and have had numerous players out with injury, only really Sturridge and Allen are first 11 starters. Rodgers seems to prefer Skrtel/Lovren as his centre half pairing.

Can is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing, and hope he can get a decent injury free run of games and let's see what he can do.

It's hard to know whether he's got the experience and just how strong he is defensively in order to replace Gerrard as the deepest lying midfielder, so Gerrard can be used more sparingly and in a more selective way, playing off Sturridge, or coming on as a sub, and give Balotelli and Sturridge a chance for their partnership to work, for example.
He could play at the tip of the diamond giving Sterling a rest, but both Sturridge and Balotelli would have to do more pressing to save Gerrard's energy for when we do have the ball.

Also when Allen's fit it will be intersting to see how Rodgers utilises him and Lallana.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Can we ever regain the early confidence - that we had against dortmund and spurs.

Would have been fascinating to see, if Sturridge had not got injured, if we could have kept it going.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »
It has all the makings of a long hard season (in every way). Looking forward to next season already (for no other reason than it's not this season).  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »
Lazar Markovic adds to Liverpool's woes as he picks up suspected muscle injury in Serbia's draw with Armenia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2789445/lazar-markovic-adds-liverpool-s-injury-woes-picks-injury-serbia-s-draw-armenia.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

We'll be needing to extend the physios' facilities at this rate to fit all the walking (and non-walking) wounded in.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2014, 10:54:49 PM »
 :D

Liverpool should play their season around England's matches.  Brendan should call Roy, every so often, and see when the England lads are available to play for Liverpool.

But seriously - way way way too many international games these days.

I could not belief it this morning when I saw Rep of Ireland's qualifying game - against feckin Gibraltar!!!!!!!!!

Gilbraltar!!!!!  We're talking a postman, part time fireman, solicitor and a life guard.

Something needs to be done. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »

Liverpool should play their season around England's matches.  Brendan should call Roy, every so often, and see when the England lads are available to play for Liverpool.

But seriously - way way way too many international games these days.

I could not belief it this morning when I saw Rep of Ireland's qualifying game - against feckin Gibraltar!!!!!!!!!

Gilbraltar!!!!!  We're talking a postman, part time fireman, solicitor and a life guard.

Something needs to be done.

I had visions of press gangs going round finding 11 males (it's Gibralter, so were desperate) that were young enough in order to form a team and a few holiday makers going missing each time Gibralter has a game in order to make up their bench, if not their starting 11. It'll be a new tourist attraction for men who play amateur league football at weekends.

"Come to Gibralter, see all the sights, and get to share the same pitch as the reigning World Champions, as you represent the land of your temporary home. So go on, be a proud Gibraltan for a day, and even the bird life will appreciate it by not cr@pping on you, your friends or your picnics for the whole duration of your stay".

The Euros has become bloated. What's wrong with running a subsidiary competition for all these 'smaller' teams/nations, with playoffs, etc and a two legged final (like the UEFA Cup used to be), with the winners going in to next time's 'senior' tournament and the worse non-qualifier from this time's qualifying group stage, drops into the subsidiary competition in 4 years time.
Then we could go back to having groups of four like it used to be. 6 qualifying games over 18 months.

As there is four years between the beginning of each tournament's qualifying stage, it would give smaller teams in the subsidiary competition 4 years to develop, the 'drop-out' team from the main competition would have 4 years to re-build and try to 'escape' first time.
Also, the weaker nations aren't going to be embarrassed as they would be playing teams of a more equal quality level, which would help much more with their development than being the 'whipping boys' in every game, where the only aim is to try and keep the score down as much as possible. That in itself is so negative and doesn't allow for any sort of progression and technical development.
The groups could also be arranged more geographically so that it reduced traveling costs for the FAs and more money to go into technical development.

Fans of clubs have a right not to have their team missing players that were injured on substandard pitches, or by shocking 'amateur' tackles, or by misuse from an international manager who only cares about squeezing two games from 'his' week as their manager, and sends them back injured afterwards as a result.
It should be mandatory that FAs have to pay the salaries and all associated costs for an injured player until they are truly fit enough to play again. That in itself would make sure that through pressure from their employing FA, managers would be more careful with the players under their charge.

Fans have to find such a ridiculous proportion of their income each time they attend a game now that they have the right to see a team at full strength, not decimated by injuries gained in international matches, for countries that most club fans have no affiliation to in any way. As the game is now so global that scenario is massively more in play at most clubs than it was in the 70s and 80s, and even the 90s. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
Has Woy got a bit of a guilty conscience?

England v Estonia: Raheem Sterling rested for Estonia qualifier

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9514514

Let's hope Lallana and Hendo come through unscathed.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
Has Woy got a bit of a guilty conscience?

No!!! He's hung Raheem out to dry publicly, just to cover his own sad @ss.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
I had visions of press gangs going round finding 11 males (it's Gibralter, so were desperate) that were young enough in order to form a team and a few holiday makers going missing each time Gibralter has a game in order to make up their bench, if not their starting 11. It'll be a new tourist attraction for men who play amateur league football at weekends.

"Come to Gibralter, see all the sights, and get to share the same pitch as the reigning World Champions, as you represent the land of your temporary home. So go on, be a proud Gibraltan for a day, and even the bird life will appreciate it by not cr@pping on you, your friends or your picnics for the whole duration of your stay".

The Euros has become bloated. What's wrong with running a subsidiary competition for all these 'smaller' teams/nations, with playoffs, etc and a two legged final (like the UEFA Cup used to be), with the winners going in to next time's 'senior' tournament and the worse non-qualifier from this time's qualifying group stage, drops into the subsidiary competition in 4 years time.

Then we could go back to having groups of four like it used to be. 6 qualifying games over 18 months.

excatly.

these tiny islands and nations, need to be in a preliminary group/s.

but of course it is all about money - and the more games (regardless of who the opposition is) means more money.

these two nights of games - I merely looked at the end scores, to see if there was any shock result.....and then I had a look at the Iceland v Holland goals.

Other than the rare shock, I have zero interest in the games.

And I even wonder what is the point of watching england - they struggle past 10 man Estonia.......with absolutely no chance of ever going anywhere, with Woy in charge.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
I'm the same as you Dude. My only interest in qualifiers, either World Cup or Euros, is to check on how many of our players have been injured and who's thankfully come through unscathed. Everything else is irrelevant until the finals.

Money is going to kill football. The wages and ticket prices in this country are beyond ridiculous and quality foreign players are playing in other leagues for a third of what they would be paid by a PL club, meanwhile ticket prices are pretty much the highest in Europe and go up without fail despite huge increases in TV revenue.

TV money can't keep increasing with each new contract. That bubble will soon burst and clubs that have signed players on huge wages, on contracts beyond the current TV deal could be in trouble.

As the matches are now being split between BT and Sky, it will water down the amount each can bring in as the pool of viewers is being split between two providers. If they put up the cost of their packages by too much in order to bid ever increasing amounts for football, subscribers who don't have sports packages will eventually cancel as they won't want to be subsidising football coverage.

I can't wait for it to happen, and unlike with the damned dirty banks, there won't be anyone stepping in to prop up the ponzi scheme any longer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
Raymond Verheijen has labelled Roy Hodgson a "dinosaur" for his part in the debate regarding the Liverpool star's fatigue ahead of England's clash with Estonia

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/7134/euro-2016-qualifying/2014/10/15/5187157/-

An excellent piece on the scientific approach and understanding of recovery. It's enlightenment is dazzling at the side of the murky blackness of Woy's approach.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
Sturridge out for a further month.

Where's the head against a brick wall smiley when we need one!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »
Sturridge out for a further month.

Where's the head against a brick wall smiley when we need one!

U.n.b.e.l.i.e.v.a.b.l.e.

We must have used up this season's luck last season.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
FFS....with Sturridge out then we'll have to play allen in midfield with henderson and test out gerrard behind ballotelli so we can perform something like a unit for the Real Madrid game...we're going to be hammered if we don't try something new...