January 28, 2020, 03:09:58 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 192359 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
it goes beyond a defensive issue, Tes.

the key is balance.  And Rodgers has no idea how to build a balanced side (nor does he rate it as important).

I was going to post earlier this week, but then did not have the time, comments from Van Gaal, where he spoke about his efforts to now create a balanced side at Old Trafford.  Balance was, for him, key to building a successful team.

It's time for Rodgers to go.  Some primary school yard is missing a sports teacher.

When we attack Roders has us only focused on attack. We're not set up defensively behind the ball and behind the attack, so when we lose possession we're wide open.

I remember watching how Taggart had the Mancs setup and even from highlights on MOTD, you could see when they attacked, when they had the ball on the edge of the opponent's area, the back four (of the Mancs), were already on the halfway line, therefore squeezing up behind the attack and concentrating the play entirely in the opponent's half. It meant also that their midfield could support the attack, but without leaving huge gaps and a great distance between themselves and their defence. If the play broke down the team were already compact and able to win the ball back within their opponent's half, and didn't allow any room for the opponent to break out.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
When we attack Roders has us only focused on attack. We're not set up defensively behind the ball and behind the attack, so when we lose possession we're wide open.
Jonathan Wilson was writing about this recently in relation
to Man City.

He said something along the lines that the best teams in
Europe play counter-counter.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/oct/01/the-question-counter-counter-important-counterattack

What would concern me, as evidenced by our recent scraping
past much weaker sides and the absence of Sturridge is that
we have evolved into a very predictable side to play against.

At which point we return to the Dude's point on balance. A balanced
team, by definition works as a unit. The gaps are not as many. A
balanced side can also absorb the loss of a player or two because
others can compensate while the different personnel fit in to
their roles. But because the side is balanced, generally those on the
fringes know the system anyway.

If ever there was a key to the success of the great Liverpool sides
(who as noted in the article above there somewhere could stand in
the tunnel beside Real Madrid in the European final without a care
in the world) it's this - balance.

He also writes on Balotelli here:

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/mario-balotelli-is-an-easy-target-but-liverpools-issues-go-much-deeper

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
I keep away from those group think sh*tholes  ;D

;D     and I thought it was just me who they banned!

like you, I hate those *group-think* watering holes.

And if you dare veer off what is deemed the accepted default opinion, you get smeared, blacklisted, suspended and banned.

One has to use phrases like "Brendan will be disappointed with that performance today" as opposed to "No balance.  A circus of clowns.  Get fecken David Brent his P45"

I prefer this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9Lkpt6SrY

"When I first met you girl you didn't have no shoes
Now you're walking 'round like you're front page news.
You've been awful careful 'bout the friends you choose"

Didn't he also have an unshakeable faith in youth - they were his babies. Cringe.

excellent track!   A real rocker.  I can imagine Joe Jackson (is she really going out with him) doing a great cover of that.

Back home, when out walking, I would often sing Monkee songs - pleasant valley sunday, daydream believer, etc.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
Not much time, so gonna reply to Tes and Ed in a single post.

Re balance.  It is key.

And we will NEVER have proper balance whilst Captain Marvel is in the team.

Even with the best laid plans, he will always pull the team out of position, because he has no discipline.

Gerrard is, and always has been the problem.

Rafa minimised it for a time, by taking him out of the engine room, and successfully deploying him wide right.

Or when we played him more forward, he was also not going to cause fatal damage (when moves broke down).

We need to move on from that era.

Maybe Rodgers could drop him, prior to us jettisoning Rodgers.  i.e.  Leave a clean deck for a new boss coming in.  :)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »
Not much time, so gonna reply to Tes and Ed in a single post.

Re balance.  It is key.

And we will NEVER have proper balance whilst Captain Marvel is in the team.

Even with the best laid plans, he will always pull the team out of position, because he has no discipline.

Gerrard is, and always has been the problem.

Rafa minimised it for a time, by taking him out of the engine room, and successfully deploying him wide right.

Or when we played him more forward, he was also not going to cause fatal damage (when moves broke down).

We need to move on from that era.

Maybe Rodgers could drop him, prior to us jettisoning Rodgers.  i.e.  Leave a clean deck for a new boss coming in.  :)

Rodgers won't drop him, or plan his replacement or do anything that sees him be the manager that presided over the end of Gerrard's LFC career. Most fans are crying out for a defensive midfielder to help the defence and hence the team. Gerrard can be used off the bench.
Taggart was big enough to do it with both Scholes and Giggs. Rodgers is putting himself before the good of the team. There's no other conclusion I can draw.

Likewise with Balotelli. He wasn't isolated as much today and missing that chance had nothing to do with anything but him.
I'd rather see Lambert and Borini now until Sturridge comes back. But dropping Balotelli will be like admitting he got the risk taking wrong. So it won't happen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:46:13 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 20, 2014, 01:20:40 AM »
Rodgers won't drop him, or plan his replacement or do anything that sees him be the manager that presided over the end of Gerrard's LFC career. Most fans are crying out for a defensive midfielder to help the defence and hence the team. Gerrard can be used off the bench.
Taggart was big enough to do it with both Scholes and Giggs. Rodgers is putting himself before the good of the team. There's no other conclusion I can draw.

Likewise with Balotelli. He wasn't isolated as much today and missing that chance had nothing to do with anything but him.
I'd rather see Lambert and Borini now until Sturridge comes back. But dropping Balotelli will be like admitting he got the risk taking wrong. So it won't happen.

oh, I know, Tes

But I can but dream.

Re Balotelli - not only is he lazy and a waster of good chances.

But I also foresee our other lads getting very peeved, if he continues to refuse to lay the ball off to them, when they are in better positions.

I think he will sow discontent in the team, with his attitude.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9Lkpt6SrY

Now you're walking 'round like you're front page news.
You've been awful careful 'bout the friends you choose"

When I read those lyrics I thought, hang on, I know that song, but I know them from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZ8WgyNYYg

The song Brendan whistles to himself (and Mrs R  :D):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miico0R8vWg - the nearest Steve Jones ever got to a solo.  ;D

And one for the defence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6GDdKrQ8EI

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »
Terrible performance that resulted in arguably the luckiest win I've seen during the almost 35 years I've watched this club play football.

A few reflections:

* I've been an advocate of Rodgers but find it harder and harder to genuinely believe he's gonna take us places after realising he's no closer to implementing a strong and stable defensive system he was 26 months ago. Or as my Manc mate correctly says: You defend with numbers, that's pretty much your defensive game.

* I have noticed for quite some time now how "lesser" team manage ways to get the ball to stick in our box. We just cannot clear it as a means to push the team up the pitch and re-group. Look at Skrtel's "clearance", if that's what you want to call it, that actually was the reason for their first. There were numerous times yesterday and in games before that where a simple clearance would help the team get back on track. But we just seem unable to. Why is this so difficult for us?

*At the other end we look increasingly predictable and one-dimensional with our constant flick in's and passing back and forth. The chances we create is more of accidental origin than high quality attacking.

*In most games this season we've been losing dead balls and 50/50's. EVERY team we play displays a far greater hunger and urgency than we do. This also raises questions about Rodger's ability to get the best out of his men. No matter how many new player you have to settle in, no matter injuries, no matter how many Suarez you lose you can always give it your all - except for us it seems.

* A final reflection is the failure of any player to step forward. Yesterday Henderson had another poor afternoon offering nothing besides his "work rate". Sterling, beside those final 10 minutes had another wasteful game. It reflects quite badly on Rodgers no player has managed to up his game enough to dampen the loss of Suarez.

After the win against Baggies I was hopeful the international break would help us forget the poor start to the sesaon. Needless to say I was in shock for most of the game witnessing our worst performance since Hull away last season. To be so completely and utterly outplayed by a rock bottom QPR side just isn't acceptable no matter how you look at it. I always expected a reaction to losing Suarez and the overachievement we made last season. But I couldn't dream we'd lose it all in such a short space of time. Worst of all, there will be no time to rectify the structural problems we suffer from with 6 games coming up in the next 19 days, of which 3 are against the European Champions and Chelsea.

I'm not saying I want Rodgers out just yet. But I can't see a way out of this for him. We're so deprived of anything resembling cohesion, structure, balance, organisation, mental strength or hunger I can see us spend most of this season in no mans land ending up in 7th or 8th place. It's like he took over a couple of weeks ago. 2 wasted years it seams, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:11:29 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
;D     and I thought it was just me who they banned!

like you, I hate those *group-think* watering holes.

And if you dare veer off what is deemed the accepted default opinion, you get smeared, blacklisted, suspended and banned.

One has to use phrases like "Brendan will be disappointed with that performance today" as opposed to "No balance.  A circus of clowns.  Get fecken David Brent his P45"
In terms of freedom of speech they make the 3rd Reich look
like Canada  ;D I'd love to post there just to know what it feels like
to live in North Korea  ;D and most likely who ever runs these
things is a 17 year old whose daddy works in the City.

When I read those lyrics I thought, hang on, I know that song, but I know them from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZ8WgyNYYg
Ha, ha, didn't know the pistols covered it!

On the theme of punk, I would describe us under Rodgers as Part-timers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbJdcsGl_Q

The song Brendan whistles to himself (and Mrs R  :D):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miico0R8vWg - the nearest Steve Jones ever got to a solo.  ;D
Jones recognised early that w*nky guitar solos for the sake of it
were not necessary. Now if only we'd do the same with ineffectual
passing.

I'm not saying I want Rodgers out just yet. But I can't see a way out of this for him. We're so deprived of anything resembling cohesion, structure, balance, organisation.
But sure this is the privilege of being the manager of LFC.

THE PRESSURE OF IT!

Any dope can manage a side if Suarez is bangin' them in for fun.

Many a manager has struggled in Autumn and recovered. We're
still demanding a trophy and top 4 though. The Liverpool way is
sell Keegan buy Dalglish.

Now, of course, if he wants a gig where the small detail of winning
a trophy is not an issue and performing well on camera is, he should
start working on his slides for the FA panel that decides who should
succeed Hodge.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 20, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
Fear not, the humble one, the one with endless humility, the one who takes each day as it comes, plans to be Liverpool boss for twenty years - before taking a top job in Spain.

Brendan Rodgers has revealed he wishes to remain Liverpool manager "for another 20 odd years" before moving to La Liga.

The Northern Irish boss, who has dramatically improved the Reds' fortunes since taking over in 2012, spoke to Spanish football expert Guillem Balague during an interview for AS:

"I’m only 41 which is very young and there are lots of things I want to achieve here at Liverpool, its an incredible club and I hope to be managing here for another 20 odd years."

"One day hopefully it can take me to Spain and I can experience a wonderful country, culture and as I said, some wonderful football club."

The manager confirmed he has studied the language and that he converses with Liverpool's Spanish contingent in their mother tongue. Rodgers' chat made it onto the front page of the Spanish newspaper, per Balague:

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:26 PM »
Rodgers' chat made it onto the front page of the Spanish newspaper, per Balague:

Now you're walking 'round like you're front page news."
  ;D

This is the type of goal I love to see - arriving from midfield, no fuss, back of the net -Scholesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJt9l7DglA

Seems incredible that our scouting department missed Daley.
Must be blind  ::)

Which reminds me wasn't Van Gaal rejected by Rodgers as a potential DF...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:12:51 PM by Ed »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
Which reminds me wasn't Van Gaal rejected by Rodgers as a potential DF...

I think he likes to remember or interpret it that way, but it was probably more a case of stating he wouldn't work under/with a DOF. Van Gaal was rumoured to have been identified as a candidate for the role.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »
"One day hopefully it can take me to Spain and I can experience a wonderful country, culture and as I said, some wonderful football club."

And so we're back to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saq5E_Bdzws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0o0NZbMWg

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:02:45 AM by Tes »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2014, 01:40:27 AM »
I think he likes to remember or interpret it that way, but it was probably more a case of stating he wouldn't work under/with a DOF. Van Gaal was rumoured to have been identified as a candidate for the role.
Yeah. My point is also not that Van Gaal should necessarily
be the DoF, though he seems a perfectly decent football man.

But, I take one look at Daley Blind's goal
and recognise quality for £13.8 million?
plus it's precisely that type of goal from midfield
that has eluded us for years.  With the casual
manner of it, late on in a game away from home.
This all suggests to me a key player who could be
influential for years.

Which players has Rodgers signed that will be
quality for years to come? What is he bringing to
the club that justifies him rejecting a DoF?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 22, 2014, 03:24:54 AM »
well, the last time Real Madrid came to Anfield, in the Champions League in 2009, we hammered them 4-0.  And their keeper played a blinder - or else it would have been 7 or 8.

Tonight, we will have the perfect opportunity to see the progress we have made in the subsequent 5 years.