April 02, 2020, 04:12:15 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 217585 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #405 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:58 PM »
1 clean sheet in 19 games and still Brendan doesn't change tact.

The best managers can learn and adapt to situations.
Lad, you ever heard of a guy called Rafa f**king Benitez?

Did you ever see the teams he put together and how they played in Europe?

Do you seriously think that he wouldn't have spent hours poring over and analysing
videos of Madrid (since the draw was announced), identified weaknesses and put
together a precise strategy to counter and exploit them which would have been drilled
into the players in the lead up.

It might not have been pretty to watch but it's the result that matters in Europe
and you would have seen 11 men on that pitch working tirelessly for 95 minutes
who knew their job.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
1 clean sheet in 19 games and still Brendan doesn't change tact.

Edward, come on over to the dark side.

You have friends here.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
Edward, come on over to the dark side.

You have friends here.

Next you'll be saying that you are my father  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »
There's alarming similarities between Rafa and Rodgers at this time - both using a set up the rest of the world can see doesn't work but stubbornly persist. I don't understand why he persist with this 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it, when it's so blatantly obvious it doesn't suit this set of players. Again our central midfield was nowhere to be seen although they were up against some brilliant players.

Henderson showed again he's a squadplayer at best. He will NEVER take the step, NEVER. Allen and Sterling the only players to turn up.  Coutinho started off brightly but faded soon. Balotelli I gave up on tonight - it's gonna get dirty. Moreno's completely lost defensively and even though Enrique isn't the best LB the world has seen defensively, at least he offers something going forward.  Hell, when Moreno make Johnson look like Phil Neal in his hey days you know he's having a poor game.

I don't know but the most important thing right now is that Rodger's realise he's got it wrong. That he have the courage to back down from his principles, ideas or philosophy or what have you and start all over with a formation that suits and utilise whatever strength this squad has.

I have a bad feeling we're about to go on a disastrous run with like 7 defeats out of 8 or something.

Cred must go to RM though. They're a class act and so is Ancelotti.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 23, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »

B. Rodgers. He was not for turning.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 23, 2014, 01:09:48 AM »
Cred must go to RM though. They're a class act and so is Ancelotti.

Totally agree. Ancelotti is very unItalian in the way his teams attack, but very Italian in the way they defend.

Carlo Ancelotti, the unItalian Italian. Tell Perez you've taken the team as far as you can and you want one last challenge. Then ring up Boston and offer your services.

Just as we needed Bobby Robson (the only man for the job) when Dalglish walked first time, we needed Ancelotti at the end of Dalglish's caretaker stint. One huge defining error we can't change, the other we can.

Ancelotti is everything this club needs.

Rodgers has given it a go, but he needs to refine his philosophy somewhere else (Real Betis would be a good place). We can't afford to get as far behind again as we could be by the season's end. With FFP, the door is slowly closing on the top tier teams. We need to be on the right side of it when it does close to. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »

Confession begins at 11am sharp after Dude's starched his dog collar.  :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »
We need to reappraise our whole transfer philosophy and way we identify targets. Then we need scouts who can actually accurately assess the qualities of players, and whether they will actually fit into the team or not.

The manager needs to either decide his way(s) of playing and make sure players are bought that suit it exactly, or he has to devise a method of playing that suits the players he's assembled. At the moment each is at odds with the other.

He can't be so blind as to not be able to see the most obvious of the flaws, so that begs the question as to whether to knows the solutions or even has any alternative ideas to try, rather than doing the same thing game after game with the same results.   

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »
We need to reappraise our whole transfer philosophy and way we identify targets. Then we need scouts who can actually accurately assess the qualities of players, and whether they will actually fit into the team or not.

The manager needs to either decide his way(s) of playing and make sure players are bought that suit it exactly, or he has to devise a method of playing that suits the players he's assembled. At the moment each is at odds with the other.

He can't be so blind as to not be able to see the most obvious of the flaws, so that begs the question as to whether to knows the solutions or even has any alternative ideas to try, rather than doing the same thing game after game with the same results.
Tes, I think the obvious fact is Rafa had shown prior to arriving
that he could take on the likes of Real & Barca and beat them.

Fergie had shown prior to arriving at Utd. that he could win trophies.

I don't have the facts to hand but I'd be certain that these guys
were managing campaigns across different competitions while
achieving these feats.

Our guy showed that if he got knocked out of all competitions early
he could rest his players at Swansea and using 1 particular brand of
football occasionally give top teams in the Prem a run for their money...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

:D

we will convert you to dudeism

Father Dude
The Church of the Latter-Day Dude (Dudeism) .com
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Totally agree. Ancelotti is very unItalian in the way his teams attack, but very Italian in the way they defend.

Carlo Ancelotti, the unItalian Italian. Tell Perez you've taken the team as far as you can and you want one last challenge. Then ring up Boston and offer your services.

Just as we needed Bobby Robson (the only man for the job) when Dalglish walked first time, we needed Ancelotti at the end of Dalglish's caretaker stint. One huge defining error we can't change, the other we can.

Ancelotti is everything this club needs.

tis amazing how we always felt the same - re needing Bobby Robson at Anfield.

Yes, I would break the bank to employ someone like Ancelotti at Anfield. 

And i hold Rafa in the same esteem also.

Either man will do for me.

I fear that when Van Gall does not bring United the success they crave, that they will move for Ancelotti.

But I have a sneeking feeling that Ancelotti quite likes the idea of managing Liverpool.  I think Istanbul made him realise how passionate we are for our football, and how much we appreciate top personnel.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »

whoever scouted Balotelli needs to be handed his P45.

And if he was scouted via a set of OPTA stats on a computer monitor, then the entire transfer committee (and Rodgers) need to be dismissed.

Has there ever been such a ridiculous purchase - i.e. someone who was so ill-suited to being a Liverpool player.

Liverpool's style - and thus it's players are known for three things - hard work, movement, and passing to others in a better position.   Balotelli fails on all counts.

Was it not a clue, when not another sinner in Europe wanted him.  Was it not a clue that he was being flogged off at a rock bottom price.

I'm sorry but the scouting system, and transfer comittee at Anfield need to be looked at.

This has been a Spurs Summer.   We have urinated a whole chunk of money down the drain.

We have bought some great potential (Can offers so much for the future).  But right now, I see very little that can go right into the side and move trees.

I know some of you highly rate Llalana.  To date, I have not seen enough to think WOOOW.  Looks, to my eyes, very workman like.  We'll see.  He does work hard though.  So I am hoping that more quality will come.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
Tes, I think the obvious fact is Rafa had shown prior to arriving
that he could take on the likes of Real & Barca and beat them.

Fergie had shown prior to arriving at Utd. that he could win trophies.

I don't have the facts to hand but I'd be certain that these guys
were managing campaigns across different competitions while
achieving these feats.

Our guy showed that if he got knocked out of all competitions early
he could rest his players at Swansea and using 1 particular brand of
football occasionally give top teams in the Prem a run for their money...

teams have caught him on Ed.

they know how to counteract him - i.e. keep it tight and shut up shop for the first 20 minutes.

Ferguson not only had Aberdeen dominating Scotland, he also won the Cup Winners Cup, beating Real Madrid in the final.....if my memory serves me correctly.  And you can imagine the limited resources of a small very north of Scotland based club.

Regarding last night - Rafa has the tactical skills.  A fake messiah like Rodgers will always get caught out on such nights.  Thankfully Madrid dropped into second gear in the second half, and saved their energies for other days, or else it would have been a cricket score.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »
Confession begins at 11am sharp after Dude's starched his dog collar.  :D

sub-title - After Dude's sobered up. 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 23, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
whoever scouted Balotelli needs to be handed his P45.

Jamie Redknapp, also part of Sky’s coverage, questioned why Liverpool had signed Balotelli in the first place. “I don’t blame Mario Balotelli – I blame Brendan Rodgers for bringing him here. How he thought he could turn around a player that Mourinho, Mancini, Prandelli have all washed their hands of …

“There’s a reason when you go to the supermarket and things are half price. Why on earth they went for him, I’ll never know. They should have just left him alone. The fact he [Rodgers] went and got him, it just doesn’t make any sense to me.”

And I have to agree.

There's no point in the manager criticising the player,
as the responsibility for signing him rests solely with him.

Which brings us back to the signings Rodgers has made
and why he felt that he had no need for a DoF.

I fear we are going to find ourselves in a no man's land
where we can't attract quality signings from Europe and
can't turn whatever we get into top class.

Any criticisms of players by the manager, suggests a
mentality of someone who sees himself as being on a
par (better even?) with Mourinho, Mancini and Prandelli
but then can't accept it when the eveidence suggests
otherwise.

Good managers don't identify problems, they find solutions.