August 10, 2020, 07:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 257247 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #525 on: November 09, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »
The whole of 12/13 season we were conceding 1.13 goals per game.

13/14 season up until the Stoke game where Gerrard played as a DM for the first time we were conceding 1.15 goals per game - pretty much the same as up till that point in the season.

Since that Gerrard played as DM in 29 games where we conceded 42 goals which is 1.45 goals per game.

As much as I hate to say it. Gerrard needs to be dropped.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 09, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
Yes, but unfortunately Rodgers doesn't seem to be the man to oversee his phasing out of the team, which will play a central role in him ultimately failing to reach the goals he set out when he took over. I completely misjudged this one. Really thought he could help us build a new identity, to be grandiose, a new era. But it won't happen.

If anything, he's gonna turn even more to Gerrard in search for answers. He need to accept any attempts at trying the already tried will see him get 7th at best. Better then, IMHO, to write this season off and use it to form a new team. First of all though, he needs to find a formation that helps the team regain its lost confidence and which plays to the strength of this team. Very few teams in Europé tries to play the way we do and there's a reason for that. It worked when one of the best players on the planet was in the team. When he and his partner in crime is out injured it doesn't take a Ph.D. in Rocket Science to figure out it won't work.

They 6 upcoming games preceding the United and Arsenal games will be very telling if he's able to turn it around. On paper they're all winnable but as we've seen since early September, pretty much any team can beat us with relative ease these days. He will most likely need 2 wins in the CL though there's a theoretical chance we can afford a draw in Bulgaria. Then he's gonna need at least 3 wins from the games against CP, Stoke, Sunderland and Leicester. I think we may actually make the last 16, but I do not think we will win more than 2 of the next 4 leaguegames thereby opening up an unhealthy gap to 4th place.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
Rodgers speaks about him he speaks like he's in awe of him and his greatness and wants to be his mate rather than his boss.

It's becoming an odd situation when you add Rodgers renting Gerrard's old house off him with his new girlfriend and the fact he never subs him off or leaves him out in the league whether he's playing well or not. In the West Ham game Gerrard looked like he had nothing left and Rodgers even felt the need to ask him if he was okay to play on, rather than have the balls to take him off. Of course Gerrard said yes but he's bound to. That's where the  manager needs to show some courage and leadership.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 11, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »
very good points, edward.

yes, the young man (brendani) does seem compromised.

he is not big enough to make big decisions.  He is instead, a political animal, who goes with the flow, spouting the usual platitudes.

I'd like to see him leave - and as soon as possible.  It was a glorious experiment that went wrong.  His inability would have been caught on far earlier, if we had not had Suarez.  Without Suarez, he is naked.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 11, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
if we had not had Suarez.
Luis had an obsession with winning football matches.

First and foremost, the manager needs to have that.

Throughout his tenure, any of the pressers I've seen, both,
before and after games, he never gives me the impression
that he's upset with losing and loves the banter with the Journos.

Fergie had no time for that sh*t, too busy creating a siege mentality,
sending players out to tear the gates of hell off for him.

There's no winning mentality in that team of Rodgers, Luis was the
only one (Stevie used have it, the heart is willing but the body is no
longer able and the brain was never his strongest muscle. What used
to happen is he'd do it all himself, which leaves a bit of hole
when he can't anymore).

You see it in the results that slip away, potential wins become draws,
potential draws become losses and potential losses become white flags.

It comes from the top down.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 11, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
very good points, edward.

yes, the young man (brendani) does seem compromised.

he is not big enough to make big decisions.  He is instead, a political animal, who goes with the flow, spouting the usual platitudes.

I'd like to see him leave - and as soon as possible.  It was a glorious experiment that went wrong.  His inability would have been caught on far earlier, if we had not had Suarez.  Without Suarez, he is naked.

That would apply to many, and more merited managers than Rodgers though. Look at Mourinho last season. He wasn't quite the deal without a world class striker to bail him out. I'm not sure Rafa would've done it better last season, quite the opposite in fact. But I agree with you he seems more intent on running with the dogs than actually sticking to the principles he talked a lot about when he first arrived.

Seeing as Sturridge will need at least 5-6 games to near anything resembling top form, and granted he can't be played every game it's gonna be mid-December before expectations can be rightly thrown his way. That means Rodgers need to to something more, something else. Thus far he's been unable to do just that. With his back up against the wall and desperation setting in he might have a surprise or two in his back pocket. Otherwise his time will be duly up by May.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 11, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
Throughout his tenure, any of the pressers I've seen, both,
before and after games, he never gives me the impression
that he's upset with losing and loves the banter with the Journos.

Fergie had no time for that sh*t, too busy creating a siege mentality,
sending players out to tear the gates of hell off for him.

There's no winning mentality in that team of Rodgers, Luis was the
only one

It comes from the top down.

very good point, Ed.

You are right.  Rodgers is way too cosy with the journalists, all the banter, and he likes his media image, and giving nice soundbytes.

His priorities are wrong.

As you say, Fergie had no time for such BS with the media.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
That would apply to many, and more merited managers than Rodgers though. Look at Mourinho last season. He wasn't quite the deal without a world class striker to bail him out. I'm not sure Rafa would've done it better last season, quite the opposite in fact. But I agree with you he seems more intent on running with the dogs than actually sticking to the principles he talked a lot about when he first arrived.

Seeing as Sturridge will need at least 5-6 games to near anything resembling top form, and granted he can't be played every game it's gonna be mid-December before expectations can be rightly thrown his way. That means Rodgers need to to something more, something else. Thus far he's been unable to do just that. With his back up against the wall and desperation setting in he might have a surprise or two in his back pocket. Otherwise his time will be duly up by May.

I think you are right, Martin.

It's gonna be a while before we can expect much from Sturridge.  I am not even convinced that he will make much of a difference for us this season.  We are entirely devoid of confidence. 

You said it in another post, the other day, we now enter a run of 4 or 5 games against lower teams.  We need to put a few victories on the board.....if we do not, then I will start to focus more on the 40 points barrier.

For me, Rodgers is finished.  Managerial wise at Anfield - a dead man walking. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 11, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
I think you are right, Martin.

It's gonna be a while before we can expect much from Sturridge.  I am not even convinced that he will make much of a difference for us this season.  We are entirely devoid of confidence. 

You said it in another post, the other day, we now enter a run of 4 or 5 games against lower teams.  We need to put a few victories on the board.....if we do not, then I will start to focus more on the 40 points barrier.

For me, Rodgers is finished.  Managerial wise at Anfield - a dead man walking.

I'm not there just yet, emotionally. From a more realistic point of view, however, I struggle to see a way back for him. If lacking goals this term came at the expense of an immensly improved defence I could've seen progression. But there's nothing really. It's like a free fall. I realised this after our back to back defeats against Villa and West Ham and it left me in pure shock (I kid you not). It is unclear to me where things have gone wrong, and in a way it is of less interest. The most important thing know is we don't slip back any further. I would say the outcome of the next 6 games determines Rodgers career as Liverpool manager to no small extent. He will be here throughout the season, I'm sure, but falling back to 7th will leave him in anything but good stead with the owner. In a way I feel this is a much, much bitter pill to swallow than Rafa's collapse after 2009.

You really could tell from his post-Chelsea comments he's really down. Hopefully he can pick himself up during the international break and realise he cannot play the footy he wants to play - he just don't have the players.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
very good point, Ed.

You are right.  Rodgers is way too cosy with the journalists, all the banter, and he likes his media image, and giving nice soundbytes.

His priorities are wrong.

As you say, Fergie had no time for such BS with the media.

& as I've noted on many occasions, iif you go back to the
Anfield game against Chelsea last season and watch Jose's
celebration on our turf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC8w6X8oSo

He's not interested in winning the league at this point (little
horse), but mentally destroying a potential rival for this season,
when he definitely intends to win it, appeals to him greatly.

You look at the progression of both clubs since that point and
what he was up to is plain to see. Who remembers or cares
now the tactics he used to get the result...

Our lad was asleep at the wheel, can't see the agendas at play
and sure Luis was playing out of his skin as a means to engineer
his move to Barca.

& then we go spending £50 million strengthening a minnow in
Southampton and it would appear that Swansea aren't doing
too bad either without Rodgers and Allen.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
[quote author Ed link=topic=47204.msg76566#msg76566 date=1415725233]
... and it would appear that Swansea aren't doing
too bad either without Rodgers and Allen.
[/quote]

Disagree strongly here Ed, re Allen. He's been by far our most consistent player this season. If every player who was here last season would've stood up the way he's done this season we would be far better off both performance- and pointswise. Very unfair criticism IMHO.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »
Disagree strongly here Ed, re Allen. He's been by far our most consistent player this season. If every player who was here last season would've stood up the way he's done this season we would be far better off both performance- and pointswise. Very unfair criticism IMHO.
Ok, I'll have to defer to you on that point. I
haven't seen a game in over a year so I
couldn't possibly know his contribution.

Though, having said that, I'm not seeing his
name on the scoresheet. Anyway, the point
was more that Swansea seem to be doing
fine and so are Southampton, clubs which should
ideally be much weaker given the amount we've
taken from them, given to them.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 12, 2014, 08:46:45 AM »
Ok, I'll have to defer to you on that point. I
haven't seen a game in over a year so I
couldn't possibly know his contribution.

Though, having said that, I'm not seeing his
name on the scoresheet. Anyway, the point
was more that Swansea seem to be doing
fine and so are Southampton, clubs which should
ideally be much weaker given the amount we've
taken from them, given to them.

And on that account we're in full agreement. Very strange indeed.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »
Interesting and quite thorough take on our traits thus far. I think the article put a tad too much focus on Suarez and too little on the impact of playing wrong players in the wrong formation. I also think both Henderson and Sterling gets away far too easy. But it does show how far we've fallen behind last season's success.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/11/13/6094031/-

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
FIFA, eh?

You couldn't make it up.

Well, actually you could, twice.

:D