January 19, 2020, 02:59:14 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 189475 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #570 on: November 23, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »

Brendan is either incredibly stubborn or incredibly stupid.

He's an egotist. So he can do no wrong in his eyes. We need shot now or we'll be in serious trouble.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 23, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
I have always found that - only top managers can identify the issues and turn things around.

Young, inexperienced, bull-shieeters, are way out of their depth when the rot sets in.

But those exact proplems applied to Rafa as well so he's no alternative.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 23, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »
But those exact proplems applied to Rafa as well so he's no alternative.

But Rafa had a history of winning trophies.

Rafa had one poorish season.  It was hardly surprising that he did eventually succumb to being ordinary, given the shietstorm that was going on at the club - with the Toxic Twins.

Sacking Rafa was the height of madness. 

Look at the jokers we have had managing the club since then - Hodgson, Dalglish and Brent.   

Like think about it.  We sacked Rafa Benitez to bring in Roy Hodgson.

Think about that for a second.

We sacked Rafa Benitez to bring in Roy Hodgson.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 23, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
But Rafa had a history of winning trophies.

Rafa had one poorish season.  It was hardly surprising that he did eventually succumb to being ordinary, given the shietstorm that was going on at the club - with the Toxic Twins.

Sacking Rafa was the height of madness. 

Look at the jokers we have had managing the club since then - Hodgson, Dalglish and Brent.   

Like think about it.  We sacked Rafa Benitez to bring in Roy Hodgson.

Think about that for a second.

We sacked Rafa Benitez to bring in Roy Hodgson.

We sacked Rafa because of his own shortcomings. During his final 3 seasons he had a 3 month spell where Everything worked because everything was already lost. Even Ferguson thought we'd win it that season. But no, he just had to act like a fornicating spoilt child with his pathetic "fact" rant. His stubborness makes Rodgers look flexible. I'm glad he's gone and if he ever comes back I assure you I will book an appointment to remove my tattoos.

Rafa in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t00D23R63ig

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
Let's not descend into the rafa thing cos some of us love him and some hate...
it also distracts from the large pink elephant in the room.
Who to replace rodgers?

Do we get a caretaker til the end of the season? Who could do that job? Kenny and Steve Clarke once more?
Can we poach a decent manager with proven pedigree?
We'll need to shell out a shed load of cash but at least its not on some useless attacking midfielder who flatters to deceive.
In his arrogance after winning the manager of the year (due to suarez) he got rid of agger and reina, deeming not needed due to them having an opinion different to his. Now look at the state, full of yes men with no backbone.

With the right manager and dropping the likes of johnson, lovren, gerrard and getting a decent def midfielder to tighten things up then we at least have a chance of getting back to playing fairly decently. That Rodgers still plays the diamond even when we have no strikers that suit it is a heinous act, its bloody obvious...so whats wrong with playing 4-4-2..a decent manager can adapt to the games at hand and change accordingly...rodgers obviously can't.

If we lose to Ludogrets surely he's gone.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 23, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
Let's not descend into the rafa thing cos some of us love him and some hate...
it also distracts from the large pink elephant in the room.
Who to replace rodgers?
¨

Is right. Sorry.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 23, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
We sacked Rafa because of his own shortcomings.

His stubborness makes Rodgers look flexible. I'm glad he's gone and if he ever comes back I assure you I will book an appointment to remove my tattoos.

Martin,  I posted a few images (above) to sum up Rafa's career in management so far.

You wanted him sacked.  Apparently he wasn't good enough.

Would you be so kind as to put up a few pictures of your guy's (Rodgers) success to date in management?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »

Here, let me help you out.

Rodgers has won a Football League Championship play-off final in 2010–11

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 23, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
Who to replace rodgers?

Do we get a caretaker til the end of the season?

Who could do that job? Kenny and Steve Clarke once more?

Can we poach a decent manager with proven pedigree?

If we lose to Ludogrets surely he's gone.

yes, that is my thinking too....lose away at Ludogrets, and he must be gone.  And I expect us to struggle out there.

other questions.

I wouldn't employ Kenny to even make me a cup of tea, or to organise a training session.  He needs to stay well out of decision-making, or pension top-ups way.

Caretaker is gonna be a problem.  What about a stalwart like Roy Evans, or is he too long out of the game?  John ALdridge?  Maybe similar.

I would look to the likes of Ancellotti, Benitez and Klopp.  That is the type of class we need.

We can make discrete calls in the weeks and months ahead.  I have also always been a big fan of Martin O'Neill.

I do not have a great deal of faith in the yanks to bring in the right man. 

But if things do not improve in the next month before the year end, we need to be extra careful.  The football we are playing is bottom 6 football. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 23, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
Rodgers claims: “I’m not arrogant enough to think that I will be in a job through anything,” Rodgers said. “Any manager will tell you that you have to win games and you have to get results, especially after how we’ve been developing as a football club. But I have a great communication line with the owners. We’ve been honest enough with each other but ultimately you have to get results. You have to perform. In my first year when we weren’t maybe getting the results we were performing well.

“Owners and directors and chairmen and chief executives have to see development on the field. Barring this period, our development has been very good and fast. But there’s no doubt as a manager you have to get results. That will support the confidence to the owners, and you take it from there. I will only ever do my best.

"The best has seen us develop well. Now I need to fight even harder. And take the responsibility because as manager full responsibility comes down to me. Any pressure comes on to me.”

“It was bitterly disappointing,” Rodgers said. “Nowhere near the levels we’d expect, after a very good start. You’ve seen a team low on confidence today. Not quite together as a team. We need to find a solution very quickly because it was very disappointing.

“It’s my responsibility as the manager, ultimately. I put the team out there, the best team to win us the game. We made a good start. You could see our passing was a wee bit tentative, and then we make mistakes."

"Mistakes you wouldn’t expect to see from a team that’s supposed to be challenging.

"We failed to manage the game."

_______________________________________ _________________

I wish Brendan would be more forthright.

When in any of Liverpool's matches, under his tenure, have we "managed the game" ????

It's school-boy stuff....jumpers for goal-posts.  And to be sure of winning, we need to be two or three goals clear before the final 5 minutes of any game.

And again, he seems to think Liverpool making mistakes is some rare thing.  His Liverpool teams constantly is making basic errors, that cost us goals.  Every game. 

He needs to have a look in the mirror and accept that his is the name in the envelope.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
Yes let's get in Rafa who managed have one title challenging season in his time with us - same as Brendan and has the same transfer success rate as well.

Thankfully FSG will NEVER employ Rafa. Trust me on that.

If Brendan is not the answer and cannot get over his stubborness/stupidness then we'll have to look for another solution.

However until we have a vacany there is no point speculating.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 23, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
and what has Brendan ever won?

You forgot to mention.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 23, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
If Brendan is not the answer and cannot get over his stubborness/stupidness then we'll have to look for another solution.

but you and Martin said he was essentially God incarnate.  The answer to all our problems.

Turns out, with no Suarez to hide behind, he is worse than useless.

Will there be an acknowledgement that you called it wrong?  Maybe an apology for all the abuse fired at me (and others in here)?

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 23, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
Sorry no apology from me.

I'll never ever apologise for backing, giving support and goodwill to any LFC manager that comes in to our club. (besides Hodgson). You ought to try it sometimes.

One suspects if we don't get Rafa, Klopp, Guardiola or Ancelotti you'd be the same once more with the incoming manager.

As I said though this is a pointless discussion until there is an actual vacancy.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
but you and Martin said he was essentially God incarnate.  The answer to all our problems.

When you talk like that I really do wonder whether you let out a sigh of relief when Gerrard slipped. No offense, mate.

Other than that I think it's kind of cildish to berate us for believing in the manager up to a point. Unlike you we've both swallowed the bitter pill and admitted we got it wrong, whereas you harp on about Rafa to anyone willing to listen. Your inability to be critical of Rafa undo your credibility mate.

There really is no point to sack Rodgers before the end of the season, unless we can convince Ancelotti or some manager of that kind to jump ship and join us. The season is pretty much over (will be on Wednesday) which also gives the owners a lot of time to think through their role at the club and what the long term strategy should be now that this one failed. Come the end of May 2015, part ways in a civilized fashion and bring in some who really have the capacity to wake this giant.

Besides Ancelotti I'm lost for candidates thought I have a pretty clear idea who I don't want to replace Rodgers.  ;D

Later on when the dust has settled it shall be very very interesting to learn what really happened during these 6 months that saw us regress in a manner I've never seen any football club do. I don't believe Rodgers is any worse today he was 6 months ago, I don't think most of the players are worse today they were 6 months ago. I think it will boil down to 2 things:

1) Inability to replace Suarez and strengthen in key areas (DM and CB most notably).

2) The owners' and the managers' refusal to appreciate the importance of having senior players in their prime offloading pressure of the younger players. Sterling, Markovic, Manquilly, Moreno, Can, Allen, Henderson, Sakho, Coutinho, Balotelli, Sturridge are all 25 or younger. At the other end we have a 34 year old Gerrard and 32 year old Lambert. Only 2-3 players are in their prime. Mourinho's having a larf. They say we have a team for the future. The problem is we're actually losing our future right NOW!