September 19, 2019, 01:46:18 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 140333 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #840 on: January 02, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »
If you read the newspapers, it's like Princess Diana has died.

Gerrard's departure seemingly requires a week of mourning.

Who will ever forget those Hollywood balls, the ones that cut their victims in two, and decapitated several spectators.

Who will ever forget The Great Escape of Istanbul. led by fearless Captain Marvel.  Actually we were three-nil down at half-time precisely because of Captain Marvel's uselessness in midfield.  It was Didi Hamann who turned the game around when he came on for the second half.

Who will ever forget the numerous times Captain Marvel gifted the opposition goals, by suicidal pass-backs.

But for me, I will always remember him for the lack of discipline and balance he brought to Liverpool, any time that he played.

Too many negatives that (sadly) outweigh the occasional wonderful positive moments.

This is my one and only post so don't bother replying because I won't be responding.

If ever there was any doubt you are a closet Manc that post proves what you really are. You are without doubt the most detestable 'supporter' I have ever come across. Call yourself a Liverpool FC supporter? You don't know the meaning of the word.

Goodbye and good riddance you nasty piece of work.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 03, 2015, 01:08:37 AM »
This is my one and only post so don't bother replying because I won't be responding.

If ever there was any doubt you are a closet Manc that post proves what you really are. You are without doubt the most detestable 'supporter' I have ever come across. Call yourself a Liverpool FC supporter? You don't know the meaning of the word.

Goodbye and good riddance you nasty piece of work.

ASI, you do more comebacks than Frank Sinatra.

And you read this forum all the time (I see your name at the bottom of the forum page all the time, always reading).

You were always incapable of debate. 

And when people like me repeatedly upset your sensibilities, rather than debate any issue, you always took your ball home.

You are not the type that is meant to use forums.  You are the type that goes to church and gets told what to believe.

Hey, I am here.  If you want to ever debate any issue, you know where I am.

And as I predicted many many times across these past 10 plus years, we will never win a league title as long as Captain Marvel runs our midfield. 

And guess what....

we didn't.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 03, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
Gerrard has been a fantastic player for this club and dug us out of plenty of holes when we've been in the mire. Rafa knew how to get the best out of him which is why he played superbly under him.
If it's true that Gerrard and Carra were one of the reasons why Rafa got the heave ho, then wow how they must be cursing themselves now.
Rafa freely says how important Gerrard was at Istanbul and under him and says that he was the most important player he had, but let's face it, under this new defensive midfield role with Rodgers he is a pale shadow of what he could be.
If Rafa was still here, then we all know that a Mascherano type player would have been found and Gerrard would have been played to his strengths. Rodgers can't do that, cos he aint got the nous.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 04, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
'I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world. I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) and I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid. I know the club tried twice but he wouldn’t leave Liverpool. Not many players turn down Real Madrid but I think that tells you a lot about the loyalty of the man.' - Zinedine Zidane

From Gerrard's account Rodgers spoke to him about him playing far less for the team, but still having great influence as a sub. Gerrard didn't want that as he still felt he could play the full 90, which this season has highlighted that he obviously can't (in the defensive midfield position) and so his stay comes to an end. It seems amicable and fair on all sides...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 04, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
Like every player before, and every player that will come after, time has caught up with Gerrard, and the number of serious injuries he has had have taken their toll.

Gerrard has always been a forward thinking player. A player who acts, who plays driven on by his emotions, and as a human being he comes across as a very emotional type, given to emotional swings, and I think that has always come out in the way he's played also.

His style of play has no doubt contributed to his injuries. Gerrard's always had the athletic ability to go with the emotional setup and whilst he's always had the ability to see and execute a great pass, I don't think he's a great 'reader of the game'. He's not needed to be because his athleticism has seen to that.
Contrast that to the likes of Didi and Sami, and the likes of Lampard (a peer of Gerrard's and so a good comparison). None of them had the athleticism or pace, but all physically were almost as benign as their personalities also appear to be. So because of their physical and personality attributes and characteristics, they played and play (in Lampard's case) in a more 'controlled' and 'cerebral' way. Their reading of the game had/has to make up for their lack of raw dynamism, and in Lampard's case, despite the jokes about 'Fat Frank', his career could prove to outlast Gerrard's as his more 'considered and controlled' physical movement and approach will help that to happen.

I totally agree with anyone re Gerrard's lack of discipline (not in terms of cards etc) and he was never going to be able to be a 'sitting' player, his personality doesn't allow for that level of 'control'. He's a doer, not a thinker, a spontaneous not a 'considered' player. Pointing that out is not a slight on the player, and it's exactly the attributes he has that has seen him drag us back from the abyss many times and look like he's carrying the team to a degree.

All great players have strong personalities, one way or the other. It's what drives them, but also equally causes the flaws they possess in their game. That's simply the way it is, the reality of it, and mentioning it alongside the strengths and benefits brought brings a balance to things and adds to any discussions also.

Gerrard will rightfully take his place in the list of 'true' club legends, and if he'd have played in some of our past teams then maybe his flaws wouldn't have been exposed as much, and he'd have been able to use his strengths to even greater affect, but now, as with all great (and not so good) players, as time and age dulls their strengths (as it will do), it exposes their flaws more and the benefits to a team can start to have the scales tipped unfavourably.   

Thanks for the memories, and enjoy the sun in LA.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
From Gerrard's account Rodgers spoke to him about him playing far less for the team, but still having great influence as a sub. Gerrard didn't want that as he still felt he could play the full 90, which this season has highlighted that he obviously can't (in the defensive midfield position) and so his stay comes to an end. It seems amicable and fair on all sides...

If that's the case then both of them have handled the situation admirably, and maturely, which is not always something I thought could be applied to Gerrard. Respect to both of them for ultimately putting the club first.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 04, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Yeah Tes, it's here....

‘I think the key conversation or moment was with the manager when he sat me down not so long ago and said it was time to manage my games for me and for the team,’ said Gerrard, as he explained the decision that has caused shockwaves on Merseyside and beyond.

‘I’m bright enough to realise it is the right thing for everyone, but when you’ve been a starter and a mainstay in the team for such a long time, it was a very difficult conversation to have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2895526/Steven-Gerrard-admits-fear-team-football-Liverpool-decision-leave-boyhood-club.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
B O L L O C K S.

Hehe.

You'll have to just excuse the elderly gentlemen (or not) amongst us (Dude and I), as when you've lived as long as we have (I don't miss treading in dinosaur sh!t), life unfortunately teaches you that things and people aren't as peachy as you'd like them to be, and it's a lesson that you simply can't help but take on board (as much as sometimes you'd like not to).

Please make allowances for grumpy old men as we try (and don't always succeed) to ignore the idealism of 'youth'.  ;D  (There really needs to a crooked old man smilie).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
Yeah Tes, it's here....

‘I think the key conversation or moment was with the manager when he sat me down not so long ago and said it was time to manage my games for me and for the team,’ said Gerrard, as he explained the decision that has caused shockwaves on Merseyside and beyond.

‘I’m bright enough to realise it is the right thing for everyone, but when you’ve been a starter and a mainstay in the team for such a long time, it was a very difficult conversation to have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2895526/Steven-Gerrard-admits-fear-team-football-Liverpool-decision-leave-boyhood-club.html

Cheers Barticus for that.

That moment of realisation about your age and the limitations it can bring is a real bummer, isn't it Steven. Learn the lesson well, as those occasions will come in increasing frequency as 1980 drops back further and further into the mists of time.  ;)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »
Brilliant first half today. Arguably the best away from home this season. Markovic and Coutinho fantastic. So many corners "turned" this season I won't put up my expectations. But this was a good overall performance.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 17, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Brilliant first half today. Arguably the best away from home this season. Markovic and Coutinho fantastic. So many corners "turned" this season I won't put up my expectations. But this was a good overall performance.

It's these sort of controlled pocket picking, away from home, to a potentially 'awkward' opponent that we need to do more often. Villa is another where we face a 'Jackal and Hyde' type team, away from home, and where a 'professional' rather than a 'sweeping aside all before us' type performance is both required and possibly the more straight forward of the two to achieve.

It's good to see Markovic starting to 'fit in' and hence, starting to perform.

I think what is starting to become clear is that we will have another 'transition season' next season as we will still be needing to replace Suarez and find a suitable solution to Sturridge's absences, the defence/goalkeeper will need 'adjusting' and depending on how Gerrard is used for the remainder of the season, how Rodgers will approach accommodating the permanent lack of Gerrard and what he chooses to do and how many that requires bringing in.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 17, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Good to see Borini and Lambert score today. Quite what more is expected of Lambert at this stage of his career is puzzling, likewise the link to WBA.

Finally we get one over on Lambert and Villa and good to see us not be the exception to a Villa's run of form around our games with them.

Two potentially tricky aways overcome.

We need to keep this up though until the end of the season and put the terrible first 19 games behind us, as a top four finish is a must if last season isn't going to be viewed by all as a 'flash in the pan' and give Rodgers another season and a second chance to build on last season. I'm not saying either way whether he should or shouldn't, but the perception of stability at the club would be a touch enhanced and that can't be a bad thing.

Though for the love of Fowler, get rid rid of the transfer committee and give Hunter and Fallows their P45s, and whilst we're at it, Achterberg can have his too.
Replacing them with much more suitable personnel would be more constructive than any player we could bring in during the Summer window.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 18, 2015, 12:42:21 AM »
Impressive first half performance where we should've killed the game off. Unfortunately we Harbor the most overrated player in the PL in our team so it wasn't to be. They had a very good 10-15 min. spell but thankfully they were unable to score. Rodgers need to find a way for the team to shorten these spells or we will start lose games that are there for the taking.

I must praise Lucas. This was easily his best game of the season I'm often critical of him, but today he was arguably our best player. Sakho alse deserves special mention. What stability and physical presence he's brought to the defence. Markovic looks sooo mature, soooo cool.

The negatives - Sterling and Borini. Fair enough Borini scored one and Sterling created one (of sorts). Other than that Sterling looked indifferent and didn't do one thing right throughout the game. I hold him as the most overrated player in the PL, no doubt. It was criminal by Rodgers to keep him on for so long and had Villa scored during their spell we would've lost the game and again Sterling would've cost us points with his complete inability to score from clear cut chances.

Bring on the Chavs!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 18, 2015, 12:45:39 AM »
Oh, and buy Delph. MOTM without any competition really. What a player he is!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 18, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
Oh, and buy Delph. MOTM without any competition really. What a player he is!

As the ancient saying goes, 'beware of players approaching the end of their contracts, playing for a lucrative free transfer'.  ;D

I'm sure there is supposed to be something about Greeks and bearing gifts, or maybe I'm getting confused with with bare gifthorses and mouths one. Maybe they're being ridden by Greeks. Who knows, who cares.