November 20, 2019, 11:08:20 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 172848 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1380 on: April 04, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »
Shocking. Jesus, that's shocking.  ::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 04, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
Ooooppppsss. That's shot it.

We should have taken the UEFA Cup more seriously this season as we need all the practice we can get in it, as it's the only European competition we'll be in for a while yet. And that's if we're lucky.

We did a Spurs in the Summer and raided Southampton for supposedly their best players (at least I'd hope that was the intention), and here we are competing with them for Europe's consolation competition.

You can feel the irony running down your spine.

How much money has been wasted by those entrusted by the owners to know better than they've actually shown they do? I'm almost starting to feel sorry for them (the owners that is).

There are no short cuts. Adding multiple players never works. 2 or 3 a Summer. No more. Build solidly, maintain stability and be patient.
Even if the squad seems low on numbers resist the urge to try and boost those numbers too quickly. Buy quality and then flesh out the squad by giving younger a players a chance if needs be. We may just be surprised.

Can't wait until next season. Not sure why, other than it's not this one.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 04, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 04, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
It's over for Rodgers.

After spending all that money, we are competing with Southampton and Spurs for a doctor martin's europa vase spot.

It's up there with the early 70s Texaco InterToto Cup.

Our owners can persist with this youngster in the dugout, or bring in a manager who will help us punch above our weight.

If they persist with Rodgers, we run the risk of forever dropping out of the top group of clubs, and joining the Newcastles and Spurs of this world.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 04, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
CLUE

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 04, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »

Interesting from Richard Keys, on Carragher.

'A few words of warning. Jamie Carragher has hammered Sterling on Twitter. (Or has he? I hear Jamie doesn't actually run his account. His mate does. Careful Jamie, he's going to get you into trouble soon) and this has had the effect of turning the Anfield crowd on Sterling. How does that help?'

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 04, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
The horror....the horror...as I watched our defence constantly back off from any decent arsenal player and thus giving him plenty of room, how little Rodgers has actually done. Sure he changed the attack formation in december but he's done sod all in defence.
This is near the end of year 3 now for his 'project', one that should end now and bring some decent manager in this summer. The project was a gamble and failed, a lot of money spent on mediocrity and i shudder at what that money could have bought.
All of our players went missing today, and when we see the likes of Henderson and Sterling not signing, maybe we should use that as a opportunity to flog off and reinvest in the squad. The problem with that is that the current board have made such a pigs ear of even that...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 04, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »
We're on target to achieve our target - qualification for Europe - the Europa Federations Flower Pot, via the Intertwobob Cup. 2 European 'adventures'. Who needs the (4ths, 3rds, 2nds &) Champions League?

The Brodge for Prime Minister.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
Let's examine the positives.

We will have (assuming we qualify) the best stadium in the Europa League.

Folk will come for miles (well, the likes of the Maldives, Cape Verde, Cyprus, and Malta) to see the spectacle.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 04, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
Let's examine the positives.

We will have (assuming we qualify) the best stadium in the Europa League.

Folk will come for miles (well, the likes of the Maldives, Cape Verde, Cyprus, and Malta) to see the spectacle.

And, most importantly, Gibraltar. In 3-5 seasons we could be seeing the first Gibraltan international in a red shirt.

I think we've missed the boat on the Faroe Isles though.  >:(

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 04, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
Both Arsenal and United pressed us from the off. We pass the ball around the back. We struggle to get good angles and space. When we do, we pass it into midfield, who are tightly marked, and they lose the ball, and we're on the backfoot again. Rodgers applauds the effort, because he wants them to learn how to play out. At the start of a season, or a managerial reign, this is fine. At youth level, it's absolutely imperative. You want to encourage players to develop.

But at the business end of a season, with vital games in progress, and a must-win 6-pointer? That ball goes long, right behind the opposition fullback, let them turn and drop off to get it back, put THEM under the pressure, and see how THEY deal with it. Two games in a row, when we needed to change it up and drop our principles for the sake of the result, we were found wanting. We played a total of 28 long balls today. We played a total of 382 passes. So we had the ball at least 382 times. And yet we failed to turn the tables on the pressing team by doing the one thing pressing teams who play possession hate - having to go back, collect the ball, and start again. Chelsea are masters at it. But they play like that all of the time. We don't. We try to build the play. And 80% of the time, that's the right call. If you're coaching a development team, 100% of the time that's the right call, probably. But for a top professional team, in a vital game, near the end of the season? For 90 minutes, principles go out of the window, you stop thinking like a coach, and you start thinking like a manager who needs a win. Rodgers hasn't got that right yet. Rafa had the balance from the beginning. Teaches the players how to play in training, but adjusts and readjusts constantly during the game, in pursuit of the result.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »
Our scouts had the whole world to look at for 16 million, and the only forward they could offer was Mario Balotelli? And that's on Rodgers? No chance. Let's look at Balotelli, objectively:-

1) He's never had a 10 goal season.
2) His highest assists in any competition was 6, last season.
3) His average goals per season, all competitions? 4-5 goals
4) His average assists per season, all competitions? 1-2

We lost Suarez. What plank of wood in their right mind would go to the manager of the team that so very nearly won the league, who is losing his star player and striker, and say "You know what? You need Mario Balotelli to fill that gap. I know you spunked money on a defender we're not sure about, but for 16 million, the best we can do is Mario Balotelli".

Seriously, if that's the best the coaching department could do, then they were either messing with Rodgers for overruling them on something, or they are actually incompetent. Rodgers is not to blame for that. And if he was in charge, Balotelli would not have been anywhere near any longlist, let alone a short one.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 04, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
Our scouts had the whole world to look at for 16 million, and the only forward they could offer was Mario Balotelli? And that's on Rodgers? No chance. Let's look at Balotelli, objectively:-

1) He's never had a 10 goal season.
2) His highest assists in any competition was 6, last season.
3) His average goals per season, all competitions? 4-5 goals
4) His average assists per season, all competitions? 1-2

We lost Suarez. What plank of wood in their right mind would go to the manager of the team that so very nearly won the league, who is losing his star player and striker, and say "You know what? You need Mario Balotelli to fill that gap. I know you spunked money on a defender we're not sure about, but for 16 million, the best we can do is Mario Balotelli".

Seriously, if that's the best the coaching department could do, then they were either messing with Rodgers for overruling them on something, or they are actually incompetent. Rodgers is not to blame for that. And if he was in charge, Balotelli would not have been anywhere near any longlist, let alone a short one.

Isn't it a tad low to blame a player who didn't start a League game since November 8 (was it?) for the current malaise? Seriously Edward mate you really gorra get yer act together. There are at least 29 names I would pick before arriving at Balotelli for us bottling last seasons "success".
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 04, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »
As I predicted 2 weeks ago we would lose today. I'm not a third as disappointed with today's performance or result as I was with our no-show against the mancs. Rodgers refuse to bench Sterling despite all his antics. He refuse to realise what it takes to win games like this (i.fuckin.e playin Can as CM in a 4-4-fukcin-2). He just doesn't cut it. 3 full seasons and boys is all he puts on the pitch telling any fukcin idiot willing to listen how fukcin cool it is to work with kids. Fukcin cool boss, yer so fukcin at it, aren't you?

It seems my prediction we'll get a maximum of 14 points from the remaining games hold true while 9 will probably be closer to where it all ends. 63 points and 7th place. Nice way to build on that runner's up spot Brendan mate wouldn't you agree? Hey, it's fukcin even worse than both GH (2003) and Rafa (2010).

People will larf but I tell all of you it'll be at least 7 years before we play in the CL again.

4 players can make the return trip with some sort of pride - Can, Allen, Mignolet and Sakho. Henderson is captain material. Surely yer takin the p**s???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:25:28 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 04, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
Both Arsenal and United pressed us from the off. We pass the ball around the back. We struggle to get good angles and space. When we do, we pass it into midfield, who are tightly marked, and they lose the ball, and we're on the backfoot again.
We noted this ridiculous sh*t of passing the ball out right at the beginning of his tenure (I remember
Skrtel doing it against City, way back). My memory is that it was also a feature of his time at Swansea.
I stopped watching games because I couldn't support a team that needlessly invited pressure in vulnerable
parts of the field. It just plain irritated someone used to how Rafa employed Kuyt to press teams high up
the pitch attempting this nonsense.

I've noted these last few days the irony that the youngster (Sterling) once scolded so proudly by Brendan in the
Being Liverpool documentary is now calling the shots at LFC. I can see Rodgers doing the Cash version of Hurt
at the end of the season:

"What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt"

Anyway, on we go to the FA cup which is now the only hope of glory.