November 20, 2019, 09:57:18 PM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 172813 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1440 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if we were forced to witness yet another and depressing 0-0 draw.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
Lucky to be up 1-0 at half-time. Our desperate need for a natural finisher was never more vivid than tonight. This game should've been dead and buried long ago. Now I fear we'll have to settle for a draw effectively killing our season.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 13, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Good performance bar last 10 of first and first 10 of second half. Ineffective though. We so lack a natural goalscorer. Sterling gets away with that goal but any person with the slightest knowledge can see how limited he is as a footballer. Missing out on that sitter says it all really we should sell him.

Lucas Leiva is my MOTM. What an absolutely terrific performance. He and Can could be something special in the middle next season. Allen very good, Henderson good but not good enough defensively I reckon.

We look better I think with a flat 4. Moreno and Johnson put in a good shift and even Lovren looked good though he was happy to not concede a penalty.

This sets us up nicely for the semi-final.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »
We're on the march with Ally's Brendan's Army.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 14, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
To hear Brendan Rodgers describe Sterling's performance last night in terms of being "outstanding" makes me realise he's got this working-with-kids-thingy all wrong. Disappointing indeed. Sterling can behave and perform poorly for months on end and yet get praise, Balotelli's being frozen out because... well, I don't know really. But I know he's pretty much the only boxplayer we have and last night our need for one couldn't have been more obvious. I don't buy this illness crap.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 14, 2015, 01:01:12 PM »
Did you just say Martin that Johnson put in a good shift?! He was TERRIBLE!!!! The sooner he goes the better.

I truly do not hope we end up with Can in midfield because he will never be a world class midfielder. BUT he can be a world class defender as part of a three man defence. So playing Can in midfield means we lose out on his abilities in that back three. IMO.

Balotelli's being frozen out because he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. His shots to goals ratio is the lowest among all strikers in europe. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
Balotelli's being frozen out because he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. His shots to goals ratio is the lowest among all strikers in europe.

He surely knew to hit the target against Spurs and Besiktas, didn't he? What words do you save for Sterling and Sturridge then? Did you see the chances Sterling missed last night or the chances Sturridge missed earlier in the season?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 14, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
Edward's stealing my lines!   :)

Ballytelly couldn;t hit the a.r.se. of a banjo with a barndoor.

And I agree also regarding Can in defence (NOT in midfield).

He can be awesome in defence.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Failure to get a result this weekend and win our next 2 leaguegames will put Rodgers under extreme pressure. "Who shold we replace him with?", some ask.

I know what my preferred option would be.

[url][/http://www.espnfc.co.uk/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2400066/would-jurgen-klopp-suit-arsenalliverpool-or-manchester-cityurl]

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
Well Klopp has said this morning, that he is stepping down at Dortmund.

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has said he will leave the Bundesliga club at the end of the season.
The 47-year-old German asked to be released from his contract, which had been due to run until 2018.

"It's not that I'm tired, I've not had contact with another club but don't plan to take a sabbatical," he said.
Klopp has coached Dortmund since 2008, taking them to two league titles and the Champions League final in 2012-13, but this term they are currently 10th.

They lie 37 points behind leaders Bayern Munich, having been bottom of the league in February before a partial revival.

Klopp told a news conference: "I always said in that moment where I believe I am not the perfect coach anymore for this extraordinary club I will say so.

"I really think the decision is the right one. This club deserves to be coached from the 100% right manager."

Referring to the departures of Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski to Bayern Munich over the past two summers, he added: "I chose this time to announce it because in the last few years some player decisions were made late and there was no time to react."

Regarded as one of the most talented coaches in Europe, the charismatic Klopp led Dortmund to successive Bundesliga titles and became the first boss to win the domestic double with the club.

He also guided them to the Champions League final, in which they were beaten 2-1 by fellow German side Bayern Munich at Wembley.

He has frequently been linked with Premier League clubs, including Manchester United before the appointment of Louis van Gaal, Arsenal during lean spells at the Emirates, and latterly with defending champions Manchester City.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
He holds Dortmund in high regard, but it sounds like he is fed up with losing his top players each summer, and wants to try a new challenge.

The key is where he says he does not want a sabbatical - but rather wants to move straight into a new job.

Unfortunately Liverpool are a selling club, just like Dortmund.

And his star has definitely wained this season.

Rafa is still definitely my man for the Anfield hotseat.  Or else Ancellotti - i.e. people with experience and loads of trophies below their belt. 

But Klopp may be a decent third choice.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 15, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
Wow, just woow.

Anybody reading the Guardian today, and the exclusive serialisation of the Bradford Fire book?

"Revealed: former Bradford chairman linked to at least eight fires before Valley Parade disaster"

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 15, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
Bullet dodged...

Arsenal's hopes of pulling off a summer transfer scalp have been boosted amid reports that James Milner has made the Emirates his preferred destination.

The England international will be out of contract this summer and with Manchester City unable to provide the guarantees he is seeking with regards to playing time and what position he will play, the signing of a new deal at the Etihad appears highly unlikely.

That's made the 29-year-old, who City paid £26m for in 2010, one of the most coveted players this summer and there is no shortage of interest.

But according to The Sun, Milner has already made up his mind where he wants to go - picking the Gunners. Arsene Wenger will welcome him on board having signalled previously how highly he rates the former Aston Villa player.'

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgqKD?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=liverpool

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 15, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
But Klopp may be a decent third choice.
We'll have to wait and see Dude.

If I'm honest, I don't really understand the LFC project as it currently stands.

Sure Klopp has shown a European pedigree and won the Bundesliga twice.
That's a fine record in comparison to some who have been considered for
the job in the past. His methods can work and he's young enough to still be
ambitious.

Essentially, it's unclear what level we aspire to. This notion that LFC strives
toward the highest of standards doesn't wash with me anymore. We're losing
games that it feels very un-LFC like to be losing. Simply not competing. To put it
bluntly we don't resemble LFC under Rodgers, we're a different club - Swansea
with a higher budget.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 16, 2015, 03:43:17 AM »
We'll have to wait and see Dude.

If I'm honest, I don't really understand the LFC project as it currently stands.

Sure Klopp has shown a European pedigree and won the Bundesliga twice.
That's a fine record in comparison to some who have been considered for
the job in the past. His methods can work and he's young enough to still be
ambitious.

Essentially, it's unclear what level we aspire to. This notion that LFC strives
toward the highest of standards doesn't wash with me anymore. We're losing
games that it feels very un-LFC like to be losing. Simply not competing. To put it
bluntly we don't resemble LFC under Rodgers, we're a different club - Swansea
with a higher budget.

sums up my fears as well.

We seem to be a selling club....buy young (and cheap), sell high.   

And if you think about it, who can really blame ambitious players, if they can get better financial rewards elsewhere and champions league football.

We are going nowhere under Rodgers.  Suarez camouflaged Rodgers for a season.

Balance is so hit and miss for Brendan. 

I think our owners perhaps do not fully appreciate how big a club we are, or were once.

And I definitely think they are way too arrogant in their thinking.  They needed a top chief executive (a Rick Parry or David Dein type).  And then a top experienced manager.   

If you get your top appointments right, the club will nearly run itself (i.e. free up the owners from day to day control).

But they have not got the top appointments right.

And everything else has followed on and went south with those bad decisions.

Like who in their right mind, would let Rodgers bring Alan Pascoe in as the sidekick.....or appoint a chief scout like the kid from Man City, Barry Hunter.

I give up.