August 19, 2019, 09:39:56 AM

Author Topic: Season 2014/15  (Read 133995 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2014/15
« Reply #1560 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:51 AM »
He wasn't last season. He scored 21 league goals. Didn't hear you complaining then that he's injury prone.

Sturridge has had extended periods of injuries since being at the club. This season's is the longest but his injury record has been poor since arriving. Since the end of that season I've been saying we needed cover for him.
Last Summer was different. When Suarez signed his new contract it suggested he had one eye on the door as the buyout clause was clearly defined so a repeat of the Arsenal fiasco couldn't occur. At that point and with a transfer window looming, we still needed cover for Sturridge's injuries and if we were sensible and prepared, start thinking about Luis' possible departure.
At the start of the Summer window we still needed cover for Sturridge (maybe that's where Remy came in) and a replacement for Suarez. Our response to all that? A panic buy in Balotelli, that made the manager look a bit daft considering his statement on Balotelli shortly before.

And where are we now?

Sturridge's injury record:

Season:   Injury:                        From:              To:                  Duration:  Games missed:  Club:
14/15                                Apr 8, 2015    Apr 25, 2015   17 days               4             Liverpool FC
14/15   Hamstring Injury     Nov 18, 2014    Jan 28, 2015   71 days              18            Liverpool FC
14/15   Thigh Muscle Strain     Sep 5, 2014    Oct 3, 2014   28 days               6             Liverpool FC
13/14   Sprained Ankle             Dec 1, 2013    Jan 9, 2014   39 days               9             Liverpool FC
13/14   Torn Ankle Ligament     Nov 27, 2013    Jan 9, 2014   43 days               9             Liverpool FC
12/13   Groin strain             Feb 3, 2013    Feb 14, 2013   11 days               3             Liverpool FC
12/13   Hamstring Injury     Nov 17, 2012    Dec 23, 2012   36 days              11            Chelsea

*Info c & p'ed from Transfermarkt, apologies for the poor layout  ** Games missed are only league games

He was injured just before we signed him and injured just after. 60 league games missed from November 17 2012 to the present. 60 league games in less than 2.5 years.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »
If you look back to Sunday I said I want him replaced. That's unlikely to happen in the summer.

What's unlikely, you saying you want him replaced or him actually being replaced?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 23, 2015, 03:02:54 AM »
So get Klopp whilst he's available and there's a suggestion he's needed, rather than wait until he actually is most definitely required but he's no longer available.
I think so Tes, I mean he was supposedly in the frame the last time round
so it's not like they don't know who he is.

When I try (and I do try) to project forward under Rodgers I haven't seen any
evidence that he can achieve superhuman feats within the limitations. Given our
circumstances we need someone in charge who has the ambition & talent to
consistently achieve wondrous things.

I mean I was left scratching my head in the run-up to the FA cup semi-final when
BR said promotion from the championship was and would be the most special moment
in his career (or something to that effect). Simply baffling for the manager of LFC to
say such a thing.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 23, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »
To get some positivity back onto this thread!!  ;D

Henderson has signed a new and improved contract. £100k p/w so I've heard.

I know some won't like it (Looking at Martin  ;) ) but to have his future secured is a good thing.

To me a captain needs to be reliable, available for as many games as possible, have the trust of the manager, be responsible off the field as the club's representative, be a hard worker/trainer to set an example for youngsters and new players coming in and most importantly, and least mentioned, be able to create relationships with refs (which is why speaking English well enough to joke around with them can be hugely important). From our current crop that availability alone tends to cut it down to the likes of Hendo, Sterling, Mignolet and maybe Can/Coutinho. Of those Henderson is the obvious, if not sexiest, choice.

If we sign someone with a high profile and leadership experience then things change, but right now he is the best choice as captain imo.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 23, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
Sounds good to me Edward. I understand that Skrtel has said he wants to stay and will discuss contract details after end of season.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »
Oh deary deary me

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/23/brendan-rodgers-klopp-liverpool-transfer-market

I don't think a man in football has ever talked so much and achieved so little.
(The nerve of the man to spout on while ignoring the limitations Villa operate under).

Personally, I feel LFC has been hijacked by this muppet and while I haven't
watched a game in possibly two years and have only really been taking an
interest of late. I reckon now's the time for me to forget all about us and find
a proper team to support 'til he vacates the dugout.

It's simply too painful to bear witness to the whole shambles.

I remember last week being so happy when Napoli won, the way I used to feel when
we played under Benitez.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
Compared to their football knowledge they are experts when it comes to baseball, having been fans of the game (like we all have of football) all their lives, and it shows in both sports respectively.

Same could be said of FSG then. They're heavily into Boston Red Sox.

Abramovich is to football what our owners are to baseball. The chances of him having been immersed in football to one degree or other (again like we all have) are much higher for him than for our owners, the Glazers and Sheikh Mansour, simply because the availibility of such an opportunity exists far, far more in his country of origin than for the rest of them. Additionally, he's been almost a permanent fixture at matches since he bought the club, again, unlike the rest of them. The rest may have watched their respective clubs' games on TV, but they're not 'around the game' to any degree compared to Abramovich.

Just because someone loves football and watches it a lot doesn't make them an expert. I've been watching it for 40 years but I'm no expert. Neither is Abramovich. He's just rich and can appoint experts with healthy salaries.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
Sturridge has had extended periods of injuries since being at the club. This season's is the longest but his injury record has been poor since arriving. Since the end of that season I've been saying we needed cover for him...

He was injured just before we signed him and injured just after. 60 league games missed from November 17 2012 to the present. 60 league games in less than 2.5 years.

He was clear of injuries for most of last season so I dispute your claim that he's had a poor record since signing. Most of those games missed have been this season.

It's also been suggested that his hip injury is not that bad and he could play through the pain. But he seems a delicate flower and won't. Even a Wembley semi-final couldn't persuade him. Replacement strikers will be bought but the problem we have is that Man Utd seem favourite for all those we're interested in. Depay being the latest.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 24, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
What's unlikely, you saying you want him replaced or him actually being replaced?

Thought my statement was perfectly clear. The latter.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 24, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Replacement strikers will be bought but the problem we have is that Man Utd seem favourite for all those we're interested in. Depay being the latest.

Hail the white flag of surrender.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 24, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »
Hail the white flag of surrender.

It's not surrender at all. What a idiotic comment. What would you have the club do? Offer such a stupid salary that he would be mad to turn it down. And in doing that we totally mess up the salary structure for the rest of the team? I do wonder about the intelligence of some people in this forum at times.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »

I was talking about FSG, Ray. Thankyou for confirming my point with the second part of your answer.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 24, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »

Just because someone loves football and watches it a lot doesn't make them an expert. I've been watching it for 40 years but I'm no expert. Neither is Abramovich. He's just rich and can appoint experts with healthy salaries.

Most people when exposed to something over a period of time will acquire knowledge and understanding that they wouldn't otherwise have.

You're taking it to extremes. I'm not talking about being an expert or even being regarded as an expert, though in many cases those two things aren't the same. I'm talking about having sufficient knowledge and understanding to make common sense, rational decisions based on your bank of knowledge, even if we're talking basics.

No-one said Abramovich was an expert, and to be honest, it's hard to define 'expert' within the context of football. Some could be regarded as an expert within an area of football, but there are few who are 'experts in football per se'.

To appoint an expert you would have to have some knowledge about that area of the expert's expertise in order to know he was an expert in it. Merely being rich, in itself, is not an issue. Abramovich is no fool, although he puts on a good performance to convince otherwise, sometimes. You don't make his sort of fortune with a grey cell or two.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 24, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
He was clear of injuries for most of last season so I dispute your claim that he's had a poor record since signing. Most of those games missed have been this season.

He missed 18 league games or 47% of the league season. I'm not sure barely over half qualifies as 'most'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 24, 2015, 10:17:10 PM »
Replacement strikers will be bought

None of us know that, it's just a hope we have.