December 05, 2020, 02:24:30 PM

Author Topic: Winter transfer window 2015  (Read 24530 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Winter transfer window 2015
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »
but is Shaqiri really our main priority, Edward.

we are short of an experienced goalscoring forward.

we are short of a top class experienced central midfielder.

we are short of a top class full back

we are short of a top class central defensive unit

we are short of a goalkeeper.

(and we are short of a boss with a grasp of tactics, and a transfer committee with no clue as to recruitment).

Hey I'm not the one making the transfers  ;D

We won't buy a CM/DM until the summer. Same in regards to a full back - although this depends on how the current lot do until the end of the season. Having spent money of Lovren we won't be buying a CB in January. We probably will in the summer - but we have to sell one of the current ones first.

We do want a GK but it depends on who is available. No good buying a GK if the replacement is not better than Mignolet.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »
In regards to Shaqiri I'd love to sign him and at £14-16m would be a bargain. He can play in a variety of roles, has pace and has strength.

It also allows the option of playing Sterling in the middle more often without losing anything on the flanks, if Shaqiri comes in.

We could always use another creative outlet as well.

We'd then have Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Shaqiri providing creativeness and competition too for one another.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
Ex-Liverpool captain Phil Thompson has urged the club not to sign West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, and instead invest in a big name.

The Reds have struggled in front of goal this season and have found the net just 28 times in 20 Premier League matches, which has led to speculation linking the club with a move for Berahino.

However, Thompson believes that boss Brendan Rodgers should be aiming higher.

"I would not like to think that Saido Berahino is their prime target as a striker. Yes, Liverpool do need a striker with injuries to Daniel Sturridge and the difficulties that Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli have had at the football club," Thompson told Sky Sports News.

He added: "I think that Liverpool need someone who is a bit more established and who has played at a higher level like Gonzalo Higuain or Ezequiel Levezzi, somebody of that ilk to come in following the news about Steven Gerrard's departure.

"For me, I would not go for Berahino, although I can see the advantages of having him, but I tell you what, he has to change his attitude."
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
......but apart from that, oh, and a decent CEO, a scouting network that's not as useless as Baden Powell would have been at knowing a good 'footie' player.

us old foggies are 'ard to please, Tes.

we used to have a decent football club, til these yanks came in, thinking they knew it all, and appointed young nippers only out of their pampers.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »
Hey I'm not the one making the transfers  ;D

We won't buy a CM/DM until the summer. Same in regards to a full back - although this depends on how the current lot do until the end of the season. Having spent money of Lovren we won't be buying a CB in January. We probably will in the summer - but we have to sell one of the current ones first.

We do want a GK but it depends on who is available. No good buying a GK if the replacement is not better than Mignolet.

fair points, Edward.

And I actually think we should allow a new boss to determine the usefulness (or otherwise) of lots of our players (especially the defenders and keeper).

Because - since we are bizarrely lined up, our team offers no protection to the back four and keeper.

In a proper setup, our keeper and defenders might look a helluva lot better.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
I am 95% certain that we won't be signing anyone in this transfer window.

The only player who may possibly arrive is Origi. But Lille want £6m rather than the £3m we offered.

Basically Lille want the add-ons included in the original deal last summer all in one lump sum in exhange for Origi in January.

We were reluctant to bring him back in January before receiving that information, so now it is even more unlikely.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
Huge talk of Suarez coming back from Spain to the Premier League. He's scored no league goals and one overall so far. I hope to god that we included some sort of sell on/buy back clause, but I bet we didn't.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
They cannot sell him. For one simple reason.

They cannot replace him. Nor replace anyone in their squad.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Not strictly a winter transfer window news.

However we have made contact with James Milner in regards to signing him on a bosman in the summer.

Inter want Lucas and have made an opening offer of 3m euros.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
James Milner ticks all the boxes.

Wide Midfielder - tick

Old - tick (29 years old)

Goals, Couldn't Hit the Side of a Barn - tick (between 2 and 3 goals average per season)

High Wages - tick

Yip, more sterling work from Buck Rodgers and the Buckaroos Transfer Committee

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 10:38:01 PM »
I agree with you. He does tick all the boxes.

1. Central Midfielder.

2. Has experience.

3. Has very good technical ability.

4. Has excellent pressing skills.

5. Versatile.

So yes he does tick all the boxes.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »
Milner to Yaya, is Henderson to Gerrard.

They allow the creative to shine.

On a free, at less than 100k a week we'd be foolish to knock back a chance to sign him.

Milner/Henderson/Lucas/Can.

Any two from 4 dependant on our opposition would allow a genuine 4 attacking players, and allow Wingbacks.

It's not so much what he does, it's what he allows others to do, without having to keep looking over their shoulder.

I am a huge admirer of James Milner. If we have the chance to sign him we must take it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
Lucas to Inter is a done deal IF and it is a big IF we can get a replacement for him in this transfer window.

If not then Lucas will stay until the summer and depart then.

You will also notice that Milner didn't play nor was he in Man City's squad today....