December 05, 2020, 02:14:46 PM

Author Topic: Winter transfer window 2015  (Read 24529 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Winter transfer window 2015
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
Thanks for that Edward. Well worth the read. I think Tomkins say what many of us don't want to hear:

As Liverpool fans we need to be patient and wait for those seasons when things click. We need to enjoy rides like last season, as they will not be the norm. And we need to know that unless FSG, the manager and the transfer committee have an unusually high success rate in the transfer market, and that the manager oversees ‘a perfect season’ which isn’t beset with injuries, then Liverpool, when everything comes to rest, are most likely to finish 5th. Because, over the past decade, the team with the 5th-costliest £XI happens to average … you guessed, it – 5th.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
I agree with you. He does tick all the boxes.

1. Central Midfielder.

2. Has experience.

3. Has very good technical ability.

4. Has excellent pressing skills.

5. Versatile.

So yes he does tick all the boxes.

Sums it up perfectly for me. Milner would be a tremendous upgrade on, for instance, Lucas. He also carry the experience we so often lack in midfield. Always had a soft spot for Milner. He was instrumental in dragging them back into the game at Anfield last April, even though it was Silva who shone.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
ruddy ell, do you guys watch much football.   ;)

James Milner plays wide midfield.  He only ever occasionally has played central midfield.

The lad is only 5 feet 9 inches, so why would we have him in the middle.

He's 29 years old.

Technical ability?  Average to good, nothing spectacular.   Nothing like the technical ability of a German, Italian or South American.

But do we not have enough of these types of midfield folk - you know,  lightweight, can't score, but are very good at passing and pressing?  Like, do we not have 10 thousand of these types already at Anfield.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
Aston Villa are preparing to fight off a £7.5million bid from Liverpool to make Fabian Delph the successor to Steven Gerrard.

Boss Brendan Rodgers had accepted that Villa’s determination not to sell their midfield driving force in January would mean he’d have to wait until the summer.

But Villa chiefs believe Gerrard’s decision to move to America has changed the picture and a bid could now come in the next two weeks.

And with Inter Milan stepping up their efforts to sign Lucas from Anfield in this window, it gives them extra impetus to grab Delph now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-readying-75million-january-bid-4954769
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »
Aston Villa are preparing to fight off a £7.5million bid from Liverpool to make Fabian Delph the successor to Steven Gerrard.

averages 2 to 3 goals per season, in a good season (from central midfield).

our transfer Committee have to be staying up late to find these gems.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
;D

Meanwhile City shell out £28 million on Bony, a player we should have
signed ages ago, arguably, instead of Borini.

The whole circus will go around in circles until finally it dawns on the
owners that what the club needs is a special person to be the manager.

Until then it's just a repeat of the post-Dalglish (1st time around) fumbling
in the dark with various managers and players.

The club could be managed by a robot for all the difference it makes,
we're a big pleasure cruise ship (not sunken wreck yet) aimlessly drifting
about the vast oceans keeping well away from the aircraft carriers of the
footballing world  ::)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »
Bony gone...Shaqiri signed for Inter til 2019 and now we're linked with another attacking player who we don't need...aka Lavezzi for 8 mil...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »
Suso gone to Milan permanently.

Now we have the mighty West Ham to beat to Alex Song.

Our transfer dealings stretching back for what seems a very long time now are an example to all other clubs..........
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
..........NOT to follow.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Tomkins could probably find a reason and a way to explain away the Yorkshire Ripper's 'transgressions'.

Whilst every transfer record of every manager/sporting director (continental clubs) has 'misses' on it, the record under FSG, as afterall they appoint the people tasked with finding and making the decisions on transfers, and are the only common denominator and easily identified protagonist, is downright bloody awful.

The Comolli (or should that be Comodi or even Commode as that's the best association with his signings) stroke Comolli/Dalglish 'era' produced what? Suarez and eventually Hendo? Any others my addled mind has forgotten?

Then the Rodgers stroke Transfer Committee stroke Rodgers/Transfer Committee era has heralded Sturridge and Coutinho. Coutinho in terms of price paid for the talent, though even now he's not managed to be a consistent talentand performer. There's one or two 'maybes', 'could bes' or 'might bes' - that should prove an interesting list for us all to compile.  ;D

What Mr Apologetic conveniently overlooks is that we are not trying to compete 'toe to toe', 'cheque book to cheque book' with the likes of Chelsea and the two Manc clubs and Arsenal. I'm presuming they're the four placed ahead of us.
We're not predominantly buying 'names', but instead, are or should be, buying a mixture of lesser lights who can come in and make a real impact (Suarez, Sturridge types, and further back Hyypia), obvious(ish) talents but not quite 'up there' for whatever reason to be bought ahead of the + £30M type players (everybody's idea of 'world class').
The second group are younger players to start to show obvious signs of their promise during the first season,  (it's there and you can see why there were signed), who then have made themselves first team regulars by the end of the second season.
The aim being that the collective unit being better than the sum of the individuals because you've put together a group of players that compliment each other, both in their individual partnerships (central defensive pairing etc), sub units (back four, midfield combos) and as an entire 'eleven'.

What he conveniently overlooks is the amount spent on defenders and the numbers brought in, and that despite all that, the defending is far more comedic than my attempts on Comolli's name, and has been a constant in that state since day one. Also, despite Rodgers referring to the defensive problems, and increasingly more often as his reign lengthens, there's no signs of an improvement and despite regularly acknowledging it, any signs that Rodgers actually knows the 'how to', certainly not on a consistent or prolonged basis. I'm not talking about isolated, semi promising, single, games, as we have had one or two of them punctuating the norm.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »
averages 2 to 3 goals per season, in a good season (from central midfield).

Added to which he's available for a free in the Summer. Either way, buying him in January makes no sense.

How more unimaginative can our transfer dealings be. They could save money and appoint me on a quarter of what the lowest paid member of the committee is on and I could come up with an equally unimaginative 'flavours of the month'.

We seem intent on overpaying and getting not very much for a lot of money.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »

Fabian Delph has admitted his Aston Villa team-mates were shocked to learn he had signed a new deal.

Delph revealed even the squad was surprised. “The lads are absolutely delighted. As soon as I told some of them they looked at me shocked to start with,” he said.

They see a lot in me and how dedicated I am and how I want to push on. They’re delighted to keep someone like me here. I see them as family, brothers, I’d run through a brick wall for them. They’re not just team-mates.”

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »

Fabian Delph has admitted his Aston Villa team-mates were shocked to learn he had signed a new deal.

Delph revealed even the squad was surprised. “The lads are absolutely delighted. As soon as I told some of them they looked at me shocked to start with,” he said.

They see a lot in me and how dedicated I am and how I want to push on. They’re delighted to keep someone like me here. I see them as family, brothers, I’d run through a brick wall for them. They’re not just team-mates.”

Good man, Fabian. You've saved us from our ourselves, aka the transfer 'committee'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
I now declare the window, and hence this thread, well and truly shut (until it rots and falls out of it's frame).