September 21, 2019, 10:35:36 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 114503 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #1005 on: April 21, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »
If Jurgen gets the players he wants and continues the current rate of developing the players already in the squad then we could win the league next season I am telling you.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 22, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
If Jurgen gets the players he wants and continues the current rate of developing the players already in the squad then we could win the league next season I am telling you.

You've gotta love an optimist.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 22, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
Yes, but the first 60 minutes their display oooozed of class. Their pressing game, positional awareness, passing was brilliant. I haven't seen us so outplayed in the opening 60 since Rafa's Valencia gave us a lesson back in 2002, was it? We thouroughly deserved to go through and created more chances than they over 180 minutes. But as a team I would say they have come farther than we have.

So basically what your admitting is it took us half the time to overcome them than it took them to develop the lead to the stage they had.

Checkmate.  ;D

Let's just enjoy it. It may be another false dawn and it's understandable that we have reservations, but we can hold off judgement of the longer term for now, and just enjoy the present, for however long it lasts.
Plan for the future but don't be too wrapped up in that to enjoy what is enjoyable about the here and now.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:06 PM »
The mere fact we're mathematically inside the possibility of finishing 4th is a strong testament to the impact Klopp's had despite the large number of injuries and games we've had.

I think we've played some 15 games more than Leicester and certainly 5-6 more than Spurs who seem unable to put up a fight unless it's the League.

League Cup final , UEFA Cup semi and safe from relegation and possibly midtable mediocrity. Rome wasn't built in a day (it was in Paisley's third season  ;D ) but all things considered, we've had worse seasons than this one.

I think sometimes the sheer amount the club has spent on transfers since FSG rolled into town, distorts the reality. For the amount spent we have been really awful in the market and most of the squad is the epitome of average.
You can that there's been some real work and coaching done in the last six months, and not the bunch of postering and self congratulating aggrandizing of the Rodgers' era.

Dude description of Rodgers and the emperor's new clothes was always so funny, but also clinically accurate.

There's a way to go, but you can at least feel that the progress being made will remain and it won't be a one off.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 22, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »
Everton really are a mess!  ;D

But a mess with an FA Cup semi final against the Mancs. I wouldn't have said 'no' to that, then I wouldn't swop our situation for there's just to have that semi, either.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »
And the most important thing about the Bitters' result is that it was a second successive home win in the league for the first time this season, and we haven't created an unwanted record.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 23, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »
It's worry this thing with Sakho being under investigation on a possible doping offence. Not so much that he's done anything deliberately wrong, but someone, somewhere has dropped the ball.
It could be something as simple as he's taken a cold remedy bought in his local supermarket, but as even those sorts of things contain substances on a banned list, a professional sportsperson shouldn't take anything without running it past their doctors or medical people first, who should have a complete list of banned chemicals and they can check that even something as innocent as a Lemsip, Beechams or Benylin doesn't contain something that shouldn't be put in the body as a pro sportsperson.

There's been a breakdown in protocol somewhere, whether it's Sakho taking something his partner had put in their medicine cabinet at home without first checking, or a member of the medical staff has given or OK'd something that they shouldn't have done.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 23, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
We're playing a dangerous game seemingly putting everything into qualifying for European football by winning the UEFA Cup.
Whilst finishing 5th or 6th in the league only gets us into the UEFA Cup again, it's far better than having no European football.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 23, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Two things surprised me about today's back four - firstly, with Flanno not being in the UEFA Cup squad, if Clyne was to be rightly rested, why wasn't Flanno at right back, as that would have arguably given us a stronger back four, and secondly, with Sakho out indefinitely, and Caulker being in the UEFA Cup squad, why didn't Caulker play today, either in readiness for Thursday or to give Kolo a rest for Thursday?

Are either Flanno or Caulker injured (doubtful either's suspended)?

Can Kolo really manage 2 games in 5 days or are we to be treated to Skrtel in the starting line-up on Thursday?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:50:21 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 24, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »
If Sakho's 'B' sample is tainted and he is then found guilty, it wouldn't surprise me if the owners try and rip his contract up. They're super sensitive to this sort of thing and the effect it can have on current and future sponsors.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
From: http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/sakho-family-gets-view-across-lawyers-already-at-work-for-liverpo

"Liverpool are very annoyed and hold Sakho responsible for failing the tests, although Sakho has told the cub he didn't use the fat burner to improve his performances.

The French international now faces a long term legal battle, but Sakho's relatives have informed the French media he wasn't aware of the composition of the product uses, and was assured any of the elements used in the product are not banned by the UEFA.
"

If any of that is remotely true then I think he's played his last game for us. Klopp and the owners, for different reasons, won't stand for players taking any substance that hasn't been checked out and OK'd by the club medical staff.

I'm not sure how any professional athlete can claim that a fat burner wouldn't enhance performance.

Hopefully his 'B' sample proves negative and this all blows over, as Sakho was just starting to look like the player who was so highly rated at PSG, where he was captain. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 24, 2016, 11:15:45 AM »

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 24, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
Two things surprised me about today's back four - firstly, with Flanno not being in the UEFA Cup squad, if Clyne was to be rightly rested, why wasn't Flanno at right back, as that would have arguably given us a stronger back four, and secondly, with Sakho out indefinitely, and Caulker being in the UEFA Cup squad, why didn't Caulker play today, either in readiness for Thursday or to give Kolo a rest for Thursday?

Are either Flanno or Caulker injured (doubtful either's suspended)?

Can Kolo really manage 2 games in 5 days or are we to be treated to Skrtel in the starting line-up on Thursday?

Flanagan is not in the europa league squad but Randall is therefore should anything happen to Clyne would it not be more sensible to play Randall and give him those minutes to integrate within the team rather than Flanagan? Rather than come in 'cold' if something happens to Clyne. Same with Kolo and I suspect Skrtel is his deputy.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 24, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
One thing with this Sakho case is that it may force us to buy another centre back - which is no bad thing!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 24, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
Flanagan is not in the europa league squad but Randall is therefore should anything happen to Clyne would it not be more sensible to play Randall and give him those minutes to integrate within the team rather than Flanagan? Rather than come in 'cold' if something happens to Clyne. Same with Kolo and I suspect Skrtel is his deputy.

Kolo wouldn't be coming in as 'cold' and there's still the question of 2 games in 5 days.

Playing Randall is all well and good, but it's then back to putting all the eggs in the UEFA Cup, rather than having a stronger (I realise that's subjective) team out in the league.
Conversely, Randall plays so as not to 'cold' if needed, and gets injured, then there's no cover for Clyne.

All of which is why I asked what I did - I'd already run through all the scenarios before posing the question.