September 23, 2019, 03:40:40 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 116943 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #1020 on: April 24, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
One thing with this Sakho case is that it may force us to buy another centre back - which is no bad thing!

Needing to buy a replacement for Sakho could be regarded as an unnecessary expense, but you'd hope we'd be buying another one anyway, as hopefully Skrtel's out of the door this Summer and Toure's situation is uncertain.
If it means we bring in another centre half who would be an improvement on any of those currently at the club, then that can't be a bad thing, agreed.

I guess it comes down to three things. The owners' attitude if Sakho is found guilty, the length of the ban and whether Klopp had his eye on another centre half in addition to Matip anyway.

As you say, another new centre half would be a welcome addition, as anything that helps us tighten up defensively and see out games when we're 2-0 up, has to be seen as a positive, whatever the circumstances surrounding the decision, though I'm not putting the surrendering of game winning positions purely down to the defence.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 24, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »
I think Klopp was not looking for another centre back but will now have too as if Sakho is suspended for 6 to 12 months and with Gomez still injured and inexperienced and with Skrtel and Toure going, we'll only have Matip and Lovren.

I also think FSG will look very harshly at Sakho if found guilty and may even sack him. The negative connotations this may have, FSG will look to negate, so Sakho may have played his last game for us.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »
I think Klopp was not looking for another centre back but will now have too as if Sakho is suspended for 6 to 12 months and with Gomez still injured and inexperienced and with Skrtel and Toure going, we'll only have Matip and Lovren.

I also think FSG will look very harshly at Sakho if found guilty and may even sack him. The negative connotations this may have, FSG will look to negate, so Sakho may have played his last game for us.

No doubt that the owners will offload Sakho, if he's found guilty. They're very conscious of the 'brand image' where sponsors are concerned, and if we want to try and compete at the top, we've no choice but to play that game.

The other thing with Gomez in addition to his inexperience, is we don't know what, if any effects, the long term injury he's suffered could have on him.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 29, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
Hmm ok, well we were kinda unlucky with that one! But even though Lallana was on side he'd probably still fluff it in the end if the whistle didnt go.
I hear Coutinho felt ill at half time, big loss.
But Jurgen messed up badly on bringing on Benteke rather than Sturridge. What's the point with 4 mins to go anyways???
Villareal were well organised and a little dull.
Now if we play at our best then we'll give them a game at Anfield.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
Think we'll need 3 goals as Villarreal have a tighter defence than Dortmund and can sucker punch.

Without Sakho, Can and Henderson - 3 vital components to our team - I don't see it happening.

Personally I'd start Benteke and use his aerial threat against their defence. Get Coutinho and Firmino around him and have Milner and Allen in midfield.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 30, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
Think we'll need 3 goals as Villarreal have a tighter defence than Dortmund and can sucker punch.

Without Sakho, Can and Henderson - 3 vital components to our team - I don't see it happening.

Personally I'd start Benteke and use his aerial threat against their defence. Get Coutinho and Firmino around him and have Milner and Allen in midfield.

Apparently Villareal aren't meant to be the same time when on the road, however, it's only their defence that needs to click. We have to be more positive, but with the spine of the team nearly all missing it's a tough ask.
I certainly think we should be aiming to score 3, but as Edward says, we need to be careful where their counter attacking is concerned.

It's probably tougher than the Dortmund tie, because whilst we don't have to worry about possibly conceding as many goals, I agree that their defence is the strongest part of their team, and going into the game with both a 1-0 lead and any goal they do score counting for more than any we score, they are in a very strong position.

Whether we start with Sturridge or Benteke, we'll probably get a clue tomorrow from the way both players are used. One thing's for sure, and that's we have to start with a recognised striker, and start quickly. We can't afford a drab first half that ends in a stalemate.
Extra time wouldn't be a massive surprise either.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Well it definitely looks as though Klopp is staking the entire season on the UEFA Cup. It would have been a less pressured situation if we were to reach the final, going into it having already secured European football via a UEFA Cup place through the league, and therefore the final was just all about positives - winning a trophy and upgrading the European football to CL. Now, it will be all about any European qualification or none.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 04, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
I've got a bad feeling about Thursday night.

We've forgotten how to win games, we're back to conceding 2s and 3s, and with 'resting' players, whatever team that's put out looks lacking in rhythm with their being no continuity of selection.

We've hit a run of poor form just at the wrong time.

I think we're going to need to score 3 or 4 times, which I'm not sure we're capable of at the moment, and I think they'll score. How many is what worries me most.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 05, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2016, 12:12:05 AM »
I've got a bad feeling about Thursday night.

We've forgotten how to win games, we're back to conceding 2s and 3s, and with 'resting' players, whatever team that's put out looks lacking in rhythm with their being no continuity of selection.

We've hit a run of poor form just at the wrong time.

I think we're going to need to score 3 or 4 times, which I'm not sure we're capable of at the moment, and I think they'll score. How many is what worries me most.

Ha!! Who wrote this rubbish?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
Sevilla in the final. Let's stop the hatrick. Stop them furthering their position as the most successful team in the competition, and join them as the most successful team in the competition.

It will be interesting to see how Klopp approaches the last three league games. The final's in 13 days and we've 3 league games before then, with the last one on the Sunday, then the final on the Wednesday.

It looks as though Sturridge was handled perfectly in terms of fitness. Not asking him to play 3 games in a week, but 'priming' him for tonight by playing him on Sunday.

We'll probably see the 'league 11' against Watford on Sunday and West Brom on Sunday 15th, with the 'UEFA Cup 11' playing against Chelsea on May 11th, before playing in the final a week later.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 06, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
We were immense last night...Can, Milner and Sturridge all played their part. Henderson might be back as well which will keep the competition keen, i can't see him getting in this team though.
When Klopp manages to bring in his own players next season will be very interesting indeed.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 11, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
Should be a full strength team tonight and so an image of the team for Seville!
I fully expect us to win tonight against a Chelski team already on the beach.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 11, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »
Should be a full strength team tonight and so an image of the team for Seville!
I fully expect us to win tonight against a Chelski team already on the beach.

We need to win our last 2 games to ensure we finish in the Top 6. Imagine the irony of the Mancs finishing 5th and winning the FA Cup, hence seeing us qualify for the UEFA Cup in 6th place.

Our entire season then wouldn't hinge on Wednesday night. The Mancs would hand us UEFA Cup football as a consolation prize, for our defeat through their victory, into a competition we knocked them out of. And if we win, we wouldn't have required their assistance, and they would kick off the FA Cup Final knowing we'd already leapfrogged them into CL football, robbing them of their chance on route.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 11, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
Brian Reade column: Basel brush-off another reminder UEFA chiefs care more about the red carpet than regular fans

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-basel-brush-7947100

Choosing Basel's little ground for a European final brings back bad memories of when they chose the even more unsuitable Heysel stadium. Whilst Basel's ground is in far better condition obviously then the crumbling wreck of Heysel, it's still totally unsuitable for a European final, and that's before we even get onto the fact that the 'hangers on' and UEFA entourage have 150% of the seats that the two sets of fans have each been given.