November 25, 2017, 09:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 50643 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #1035 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »
It's such a shame we didn't get Klopp last Summer. Just as the season is finishing, we're starting to see real signs of improvement in players.

I'm not naive enough to think we don't need upgrades and additions, but it's good to see how Klopp is improving players and that maybe we can keep changes more minimal, than we would have thought was the case in October, and create a bit of stability and continuity for the first time in three Summers.

Or maybe he'll buy us half a jigsaw's worth of new pieces that fit together perfectly by the end of September.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:15:25 PM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 12, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »
An interesting interpretation of Benteke's season:

http://news.bwin.com/en/football-betting/premier-league/liverpool-jeopardising-top-four-hopes-for-201617-with-consistent-underappreciation-of-seasoned-scorer,104872.html

He does appear to have knuckled down recently and got his head around the idea that he has to put in a real shift in order to be selected by Klopp, and goals alone won't earn him time on the pitch.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:48 PM »
Very even contest tonight.

Personally I think this final and occasion may have come too early for us as team and squad. Sevilla are more battle hardened and are more used to the occasion, which counts for a lot, trust me. Their know how combined with their ability is going to be difficult to overcome.

As we are totally the opposite as a squad in that we are not used to the occasion and not battle hardened in these scenarios. So I hope we do it tonight but I don't expect it.

Before you state we were in a similar dilemma in 2005 you'd be incorrect as the majority of that team won the UEFA Cup in 2001, reached the quarters of the CL in 2002 and won trophies in 01 and 03. So whilst in terms of ability that 2005 squad was average it was a battle hardened squad which is extremely important for these occasions.

Never the less its been a great seven months with Klopp and we will only grow stronger next year.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Jurgen Klopp deserves better than Liverpool. He should have held out for Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal or even Barca or Real Madrid.

When we continue to finish 5th - 8th in the next 2-3 years and win f u c k all his reputation will be diminished and a man and manager of his calibre doesn't deserve it.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:05 PM »
We are coming out with a rep as a bunch of losers. Nearly men. Missing out on the title and the trophies we have of late. Far too many soft arses in our squad

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 18, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »
Thanks Liverpool, some great moments on this run, united, dortmund, villareal.   Came up against a side well versed in winning.   And when winning, trying every trick in the book to run the clock down.  Sadly when they were under the cosh, we couldn't take advantage, be it handballs, offside calls, final balls, when we were under the cosh, we fucked up, gifted them chances, fumbled, and capitulated.

We finished 8th in the league for a reason, i've tried to convince myself all season, that these players are better more capable, and i was pleasantly surprised at how easy that first half went, despite us not really playing that well, but the second half starts and that's the otherside of liverpool that i've become accustomed too down the years. 

I'm gutted, but if it finally lifts the veil, removes the blinkers, and we finally acknowledge this side isn't good enough, not good enough to win trophies, and not good enough to attain european football, perhaps we'll begin the process of removing serial under performers, serial bottlers, and start trying to strengthen and build.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 19, 2016, 07:32:22 AM »
Very even contest tonight.

Personally I think this final and occasion may have come too early for us as team and squad. Sevilla are more battle hardened and are more used to the occasion, which counts for a lot, trust me. Their know how combined with their ability is going to be difficult to overcome.

As we are totally the opposite as a squad in that we are not used to the occasion and not battle hardened in these scenarios. So I hope we do it tonight but I don't expect it.

Before you state we were in a similar dilemma in 2005 you'd be incorrect as the majority of that team won the UEFA Cup in 2001, reached the quarters of the CL in 2002 and won trophies in 01 and 03. So whilst in terms of ability that 2005 squad was average it was a battle hardened squad which is extremely important for these occasions.

Never the less its been a great seven months with Klopp and we will only grow stronger next year.

Not going to disagree with a word of it. He's moulded what he can out of Rodgers' scattergun signings into a team that's reached two finals. I think what we see is a very 'lite' version of what Klopp would want us to be and how he wants us playing.

Sevilla looked like they were motivated by the chance to win it a third time in a row, where as we looked more nervy and unsure, and almost as though the occasion and expectation, probably based on our performances in the previous 3 rounds, got to us and started to weigh on them. Falling apart after their first goal was not typical of what we've started to see from Klopp's team.

Sometimes you after to learn to lose before you can learn to win, and before all that, you've got to reach the finals and the last day of the season and actually be in contention for something.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 19, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »
Jurgen Klopp deserves better than Liverpool. He should have held out for Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal or even Barca or Real Madrid.

When we continue to finish 5th - 8th in the next 2-3 years and win f u c k all his reputation will be diminished and a man and manager of his calibre doesn't deserve it.

But he doesn't strike me as the type that wants it on a plate. He's a creator of things, not a guy to go in when all the hard constructing's been done.

I think he's a football romantic, and the idea of trying to re-build us and return us to the team of his youth, is exactly the sort of thing he thrives on.

Once he starts bringing in his own players then it's on him, and his reputation, as you put it, is in his own hands. He's missed out winning two finals with someone else's players. There's his 'out', but he'd already lost 3 finals with Dortmund, so it's not specific to us.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 19, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
Thanks Liverpool, some great moments on this run, united, dortmund, villareal.   Came up against a side well versed in winning.   And when winning, trying every trick in the book to run the clock down.  Sadly when they were under the cosh, we couldn't take advantage, be it handballs, offside calls, final balls, when we were under the cosh, we fucked up, gifted them chances, fumbled, and capitulated.

We finished 8th in the league for a reason, i've tried to convince myself all season, that these players are better more capable, and i was pleasantly surprised at how easy that first half went, despite us not really playing that well, but the second half starts and that's the otherside of liverpool that i've become accustomed too down the years. 

I'm gutted, but if it finally lifts the veil, removes the blinkers, and we finally acknowledge this side isn't good enough, not good enough to win trophies, and not good enough to attain european football, perhaps we'll begin the process of removing serial under performers, serial bottlers, and start trying to strengthen and build.

That's better. Great, balanced, realistic post, Edward. I enjoyed reading it.

Maybe the fees we've paid make it look like the players are better than we judge them to be when initially linked, I don't know. Maybe, against our better judgement we back the manager's opinion, and of course we support them, and part of that can be in hope rather than expectation.

The last third of the league season saw more under strength teams than a few, so some of the performances and dropped points weren't really a surprise, and others have just been dire despite the team put out - the why is the hardest to fathom.

Now, without European football, Klopp, his assistants and all new players, can focus undistracted on really understanding the league, and realising that it requires 38 performances at the top of your game. There aren't any you can coast through.

Klopp will have more time to work with his team rather than just doing recovery work between games. That should also allow new players to settle quicker and everyone learn what Klopp requires of them individually and collectively.

It's not a disappointment unless we waste the opportunity, and we will know that every player signed wants to either play for LFC, or Klopp, or both. There's no jumping on a CL bandwagon.

There was nothing new last night. Everything that happened has previously been laid bare previously this season.

Moreno is an accident waiting to happened. He doesn't strike me as the brightest, and not just in the footballing sense either, and the sooner he is replaced the better. He's no Gareth Bale. He couldn't be turned into a left winger or attacker.
Brad Smith is not ready to be competition to any first choice left back, so two new left backs look as though they are needed, and shoeing Gomez or Flanno in at left back is not a solution if we really want to progress meaningfully. 'Making do' is one of the contributing factors to our extended malaise.   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 19, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
We are coming out with a rep as a bunch of losers. Nearly men. Missing out on the title and the trophies we have of late. Far too many soft arses in our squad

LFC, sponsored by Andrex and Johnson's Baby Lotion.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
An interesting piece here by Tony Evans:

Hero worship of Jurgen Klopp does him -- and Liverpool -- a disservice

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2878333/jurgen-klopp-deserves-criticism-for-liverpools-mediocre-season

Without wanting to give too much of the 'story line' away, the one thing both Rodgers and Klopp have in common is those players. A group of players wholly put together by Rodgers, and 'made do with' by Klopp.

I've read recently that Klopp 'should have tried to develop a style more suited to the players at his disposal, rather than impose his own style' - or those at least were the sentiments. Now without wanting to sound like I'm defending Klopp again (for the 2nd time in this post), as I will only defend what I think is in our club's interest, and not an individual's, if Klopp hadn't tried to mould these players the way he wants to play, then how would he be able to decide who had something to offer and who didn't? Maybe some players would be more suitable to a 'third way', but then you run the risk of discarding players not suited to that way, who may well be suited to Klopp's way but we wouldn't know that either, and you keep players suited to that 'third way' but who may be unsuited to Klopp's ways and again we wouldn't know that. You don't test times tables via a spelling test.

Maybe it looks like there's no Plan B, if Plan A isn't working out too well at some point, but until you're in a position to accurately judge Plan A, it may well be Plan A doesn't need a Plan B, if Plan A is executed perfectly. Klopp is nowhere near a stage where his Plan A can yet be judged as to whether it needs a Plan B.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 25, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »
Daniel Sturridge facing possible Euro 2016 axe after Liverpool striker's injury woes resurface to open door for Marcus Rashford

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3609645/Daniel-Sturridge-facing-possible-Euro-2016-axe-Liverpool-striker-s-injury-woes-resurface-open-door-Marcus-Rashford.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I hope he doesn't get to go so he can spend the close season resting and be fit and ready to be able to get through the pre-season.

If owl face has him this Summer, he'll come back broken again, as that fossil refuses to allow players to have any other training and recovery routines than his 300 year old methods.