September 26, 2017, 07:04:54 PM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 46833 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
Because of its sheer beauty?

So can I rely on you for a reference when I ask Hallmark or Simon Elvin for a job?  :D

Thanks for the complement, Martin.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
Balo not going on the pre-season tour. I know he was a disappointment last season, but until we get a new striker or two in, and with Studge missing the start of the season, surely we should be using who we actually have at our disposal, especially as Ings and Origi are both new to the club.

At some point even the most highly strung mellow. There's hardly a queue outside Anfield for his signature, and Balo seems like he wants to stay, so why don't we just give him another chance, at least until we actually have a replacement. New season, new slate, new start, and see if he's finally starting to feel settled for the first time in his career. He's not been 'in the papers' for a while now, that's a good sign that he's getting and understanding the message, so maybe a bit more patience and a little show of faith and we might get rewarded somehow. If nothing else, it might make our shop window seem a bit more attractive to those who aren't just window shopping.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
FFS Dude mate. Here we are having had to withstand your vitrol towards Gerrard for a season or two. Whilst I agree he peaked some time back you cannot deny he's been a matchwinner of grade for years on end wearing the armband (and even before). What particular game of importance did Henderson win for us either by scoring or by leading the pack on? The only one I remember from his 3 full seasons with us is the trumping of Spurs away some 19 months ago. As was brilliantly put by Tes, if anything his appointment is the sign of mediocrity and lack of ambition. fornicating Rodgers is so lost it's unbelieveable really.

Don't you ever get fed up being wrong, Martin?

Be it, Rafa Benitez, Rodgers, Joe Allen, Lucas, Gerrard, etc, you are constantly wrong. 

We are stuck this summer with Rodgers, who you demanded that we appoint.  Rodgers was better than sliced bread apparently.  He was the next big thing.  The young man, who had won one third-place playoff final in the Robinson's Barley Water sponsored Championship, would take us to the promised land.  Or so you said. 

And you demanded we sack Rafa Benitez.  Apparently Rafa was rubbish, and was taking us towards mediocrity.  You got your wish.  Rafa was sacked.  But Rafa has subsequently gone to to other clubs, and won trophies at every one of them.  And this summer, Rafa was appointed boss of the biggest (and most successful) club in the world.   

Like I said, do you never tire of being wrong?

I don't mind you being endlessly wrong.   What I do mind is your endless abuse and lack of respect for me, and others, who have tended to call issues correctly.   Your ability, like a goldfish, to have no memory of your past wrongs and failed analysis, is impressive (but frustrating). 

Right now, Henderson is the least of our concerns. 

I'd be far more concerned about yet another summer of massive change (and the time taken to bed new players in).  I'd be concerned about the limited number of people we have bought who will definitely start in the first team and enhance it.  I'd be concerned about the appointments of people like O'Driscoll.  I would be concerned about arrogant owners, like FSG, who refuse to listen.  I would be concerned about Firmino picking up an injury early on, and suddenly our new batch of summer inputs look decidedly very average, and not an enhancement on what we had.  And right now, the club needs one, or more, proven strikers brought in.  I would be concerned about your kid, Rodgers, who has all the tactical abilities of a lower division coach at somewhere like Doncaster Rovers.

I'd be very concerned about our fixture list - with so many difficult away games in the opening 3 months.

Your guy, Rodgers, will struggle to get to Christmas, I suspect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:30:22 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm sorry but Henderson is not mediocre. Far from it. Sure he along with the rest of the team played like total rubbish at times last season, however Henderson has proven himself to be a key player for us.

I have never seen him hiding in any game bar the semi final. However that is the occasional game and not the norm.

For me his tussle with Costa in the other semi final proves to me that he will stand up for his team-mates, stand up for the team and be the leader.

I am delighted that Jordan is now the full time captain. He has shown a desire to improve his game. He has shown desire to be a leader for us and he has shown a desire to fight for the team on the pitch.

Skrtel is going to be the vice captain I reckon. I don't think he should be captain because he isn't a guaranteed starter and I don't think he can lead a team either vocally or by example. I'd just let him concentrate on defending.

In fact I wouldn't place any leadership on this defence at the moment as I'd prefer them to concentrate solely on defence and not leading the team.

Martin your manc mate needs to be concerned about his own midfield - which btw Henderson would walk into quite easily.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »
Let me add further:-

Lucas - not even guaranteed to be here next year, not a guaranteed starter
Milner - just arrived
Sakho - Not a guaranteed starter and not in Brendan's good books
Skrtel - might consider himself unlucky not to get it, but I don't think he's a better candidate than Henderson

Henderson is a consumate professional, probably the hardest working player in the team, is becoming more active in displaying leadership qualities off the pitch as well as on, and given his struggles when he started here he is (like Lucas) an excellent example of the benefits of hard work and dedication. He's well liked by the other players who seem to genuinely respect him, and will be out there every single game giving it the same effort and intensity in the 90th minute as he is in the 1st. Not to mention, in the absence of any Scouse candidates, as a Northern lad who understands the values of the City and the club he's the obvious choice. I really feel like he just gets the club, and there are few players in our squad that I believe take as much pride in playing for us as he does.

He got 7 goals and 10 assists last year. Bank on both of those being higher next season. I think he'll thrive being the leader and captain.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
I am delighted that Jordan is now the full time captain. He has shown a desire to improve his game. He has shown desire to be a leader for us and he has shown a desire to fight for the team on the pitch.

Skrtel is going to be the vice captain I reckon. I don't think he should be captain because he isn't a guaranteed starter and I don't think he can lead a team either vocally or by example. I'd just let him concentrate on defending.

agreed, on both counts (Hendo and Skrtel).

Making him captain could be the making of Hendo.  I saw enough of him in his second year (the year we almost won the title), to be very impressed with his progression. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Feel free, Martin, though I'm not quite sure why.  :D

Aaaahhhh, sorry mate. It came out the wrong way I realise. Had been quite hard on the ale and was just happy find your words describing my feelings exactly. It's not like I'm happy we're heading for mediocrity or summat.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »
I'm sorry but Henderson is not mediocre. Far from it. Sure he along with the rest of the team played like total rubbish at times last season, however Henderson has proven himself to be a key player for us.

I have never seen him hiding in any game bar the semi final. However that is the occasional game and not the norm.

No offense mate, but he sure as fukc didn't turn up on March 22nd. I didn't see him against Hull, against CP or Stoke. In fact, I struggle to remember the games where he actually turned up. And this thing "he's working hard" as a good enough to wear the armband is just further proof of how far into mediocrity we've slipped.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
Don't you ever get fed up being wrong, Martin?

Be it, Rafa Benitez, Rodgers, Joe Allen, Lucas, Gerrard, etc, you are constantly wrong. 

We are stuck this summer with Rodgers, who you demanded that we appoint.  Rodgers was better than sliced bread apparently.  He was the next big thing.  The young man, who had won one third-place playoff final in the Robinson's Barley Water sponsored Championship, would take us to the promised land.  Or so you said. 

And you demanded we sack Rafa Benitez.  Apparently Rafa was rubbish, and was taking us towards mediocrity.  You got your wish.  Rafa was sacked.  But Rafa has subsequently gone to to other clubs, and won trophies at every one of them.  And this summer, Rafa was appointed boss of the biggest (and most successful) club in the world.   

Like I said, do you never tire of being wrong?

I don't mind you being endlessly wrong.   What I do mind is your endless abuse and lack of respect for me, and others, who have tended to call issues correctly.   Your ability, like a goldfish, to have no memory of your past wrongs and failed analysis, is impressive (but frustrating). 

Right now, Henderson is the least of our concerns. 

I'd be far more concerned about yet another summer of massive change (and the time taken to bed new players in).  I'd be concerned about the limited number of people we have bought who will definitely start in the first team and enhance it.  I'd be concerned about the appointments of people like O'Driscoll.  I would be concerned about arrogant owners, like FSG, who refuse to listen.  I would be concerned about Firmino picking up an injury early on, and suddenly our new batch of summer inputs look decidedly very average, and not an enhancement on what we had.  And right now, the club needs one, or more, proven strikers brought in.  I would be concerned about your kid, Rodgers, who has all the tactical abilities of a lower division coach at somewhere like Doncaster Rovers.

I'd be very concerned about our fixture list - with so many difficult away games in the opening 3 months.

Your guy, Rodgers, will struggle to get to Christmas, I suspect.

Seriously mate, calm the fukc down. Please! I was wrong on Rodgers. I really was. What else do you want me to say? As for Rafa he won't come even withing touching distance of what Ancelotti's accomplished next season. He'll be for Real what GH was to Lyon. Another manager I said a couple of years before his sacking he wasn't gonna take us further. Can't you just let Rafa go? For the sake of your mental health?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
In a way I would've preferred to see us ruin his career by letting him rot in the reserves, teaching him humility the good old fashioned way. Sending a message not only to the spoilt brat but to players in general you go about your things in a professional way. Sterling's just confirmed every prejudice I ever had.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
Seriously mate, calm the fukc down. Please! I was wrong on Rodgers. I really was. What else do you want me to say? As for Rafa he won't come even withing touching distance of what Ancelotti's accomplished next season. He'll be for Real what GH was to Lyon. Another manager I said a couple of years before his sacking he wasn't gonna take us further. Can't you just let Rafa go? For the sake of your mental health?

Martin, you are wrong on EVERYTHING.

You need to pick another sport - because football sure isn't your speciality.

Why not focus on golf or cricket, or something more linked to Scandinavia......ski-ing, or ABBA or summat.

:)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »
Let me add further:-

Lucas - not even guaranteed to be here next year, not a guaranteed starter
Milner - just arrived
Sakho - Not a guaranteed starter and not in Brendan's good books
Skrtel - might consider himself unlucky not to get it, but I don't think he's a better candidate than Henderson

So he's the best of a bunch of uninspiring choices. We agree. We just state things in a different way.

Hendo was on the beach or where ever they all were from the Manc game forward along with most of his team mates. I guess it just demonstrates the dirth of 'real' talent at the club when Jordan Henderson has to be 'talked up'. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
So he's the best of a bunch of uninspiring choices. We agree. We just state things in a different way.

From: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/raheem-sterling-taking-mickey-out-9639929

"There weren’t exactly many options for Brendan Rodgers when it came to picking a new captain, and therein lies the problem."

And that's exactly why I'm hardly doing cartwheels at Jordan's appointment.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
it will all come good.

we are only 4 years into the Messiah's 5 year project!

a dozen more new signings in the next transfer window, and we will be on the way.

;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
it will all come good.

we are only 4 years into the Messiah's 5 year project!

a dozen more new signings in the next transfer window, and we will be on the way.

;D

Silly me, expecting so much too soon.  :-[   ;D