November 25, 2017, 09:28:40 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 50644 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
So he's the best of a bunch of uninspiring choices. We agree. We just state things in a different way.

Hendo was on the beach or where ever they all were from the Manc game forward along with most of his team mates. I guess it just demonstrates the dirth of 'real' talent at the club when Jordan Henderson has to be 'talked up'.

I don't see why Milner couldn't be handed the armband. One of the more experienced PL players in the squad. The only player with a PL-medal to show for. Calm, both feet on the ground, proven his quality time and again at different clubs. Seems to tick pretty much every box Henderson doesn't, save for the "work hard" box and possibly "moan at the ref at every fukcin decision" box.

And I didn't even mention how hard it is to stomach the overlooking of Skrtel. Of course.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
I don't see why Milner couldn't be handed the armband. One of the more experienced PL players in the squad. The only player with a PL-medal to show for. Calm, both feet on the ground, proven his quality time and again at different clubs. Seems to tick pretty much every box Henderson doesn't, save for the "work hard" box and possibly "moan at the ref at every fukcin decision" box.

And I didn't even mention how hard it is to stomach the overlooking of Skrtel. Of course.

wow, you have turned full-circle Martin re Skrtel.   :)

And as for the notion of Milner being captain.  The guy is only in the door.  He barely knows his colleagues' names, farless anything about the club, or it's tactics.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
If Milner had been at the club for 2 or 3 seasons then he'd have been a very strong contender, but it just can't be done handing the new guy the captaincy straight away and overlooking players who've been at the club for a few seasons. I doubt it will stop Milner from 'setting a captain's example' on and off the pitch though, and it would have been a lot of pressure asking him to be captain whilst still adapting to a new club and team mates. This way he can focus primarily on that and then grow into a leadership role anyway.

I think there's a fair message being sent out by making Hendo captain, in that hard work and determination allied to a professional attitude at all times will be rewarded.

For Hendo in particular, he suffered a nightmare first season being shifted about and played out of position, and has worked his way back from the brink of being exchanged for Clint Dempsey. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »
If Milner had been at the club for 2 or 3 seasons then he'd have been a very strong contender, but it just can't be done handing the new guy the captaincy straight away and overlooking players who've been at the club for a few seasons. I doubt it will stop Milner from 'setting a captain's example' on and off the pitch though, and it would have been a lot of pressure asking him to be captain whilst still adapting to a new club and team mates. This way he can focus primarily on that and then grow into a leadership role anyway.

I think there's a fair message being sent out by making Hendo captain, in that hard work and determination allied to a professional attitude at all times will be rewarded.

For Hendo in particular, he suffered a nightmare first season being shifted about and played out of position, and has worked his way back from the brink of being exchanged for Clint Dempsey.

You have some very strong and good argumens there Tes. The more I think about it the more I realise you're right in saying the best thing is to let Milner focus on blending in.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »
wow, you have turned full-circle Martin re Skrtel.   :)

I have? I've been critical of him in the past where he was an outright liability. But as it is the Brodge decided to stick with him and fair enough, the last 18 months he's been pretty much the heart and the soul of our team and he has also improved his game massively during that time. Cred where cred's due an'all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:03:25 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »
I have? I've been critical of him in the past where he was an outright liability. But as it is the Brodge decided to stick with him and fair enough, the last 18 months he's been pretty much the heart and the soul of our team and he has also improved his game massively during that time. Cred where cred's due an'all.

well said, Martin.

Onwards and upwards. 

We just need a new manager, new coach, new chief executive, new transfer committee, new striker/s and we are all set to fly high.  Almost there.

Year 4 of the 5 year project.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 11:43:03 PM »
well said, Martin.

Onwards and upwards. 

We just need a new manager, new coach, new chief executive, new transfer committee, new striker/s and we are all set to fly high.  Almost there.

Year 4 of the 5 year project.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the new 'optimistic Dude'. Gimme back my old Dude.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:25 AM »
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the new 'optimistic Dude'. Gimme back my old Dude.  ;D

:)

yin and yang.

McCartney wrote my first two sentences.......and Lennon wrote the bottom two.  :)

Never let it be said that I am not balanced in my approach.   :D

But cynical dude always wins out, re modern Liverpool FC....and rightfully so (sadly)    :(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »
:)

yin and yang.

McCartney wrote my first two sentences.......and Lennon wrote the bottom two.  :)

Never let it be said that I am not balanced in my approach.   :D

But cynical dude always wins out, re modern Liverpool FC....and rightfully so (sadly)    :(

I know it might seem like cynicism or harshness, but unfortunately it's just realism. Some people can't accept reality if it's too harsh and so label it cynicism, as I guess it makes them feel a bit better about 'reality'.

We can't help seeing the things we do. We'd much sooner be seeing and saying completely different things.

My feelings about Rodgers would have taken an upturn if he'd taken the risk (for different reasons) and also the accomplishment of appointing Pako or even René Meulensteen as his assistant.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »

My feelings about Rodgers would have taken an upturn if he'd taken the risk (for different reasons) and also the accomplishment of appointing Pako or even René Meulensteen as his assistant.

So from zero it would have gone up to one, Tes? He's taken 'credit' for getting rid of Pascoe and Marsh...dead man walking and he knows it, but he won't resign because some idjit gave him an 'outstanding' contract some 10 months ago...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »
He's taken 'credit' for getting rid of Pascoe and Marsh

I hadn't seen that. What did he say Barticus?

Maybe it was the timing of it all straight after meeting his bosses, but it didn't have the 'feel' of something Rodgers would do of his own volition. You tend to see managers (where it applies and is feasible, I'm thinking of the likes of Harry Rednapp with Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond etc) take the same group of staff from club to club, which is understandable, as they know, trust and feel comfortable working closely with that group. It has a feel of scapegoating and those two being the sacrificial lambs that allowed the manager to hold onto his job. I'm probably barking in the wrong forest, nevermind up the wrong tree 'seeing' it like that, but he obviously had total faith in them, especially Colin Pascoe, and appeared still to have at the season's end.
There was no hint of dischord amongst the manager and his coaching staff, and these things, like a manager losing the dressing room or there being splits and/or cliques forming in the dressing room, seem almost impossible to keep under wraps nowadays.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
I hadn't seen that. What did he say Barticus?

Brendan Rodgers is looking to take his backroom team 'in a different direction' after wholesale changes this summer.

Colin Pascoe was sacked as assistant manager while first-team coach Mike Marsh was also relieved of his duties at Anfield.

Sean O'Driscoll was appointed as Rodgers' new assistant and former player Gary McAllister joined as a first-team coach. Pepijn Lijnders, meanwhile, was promoted from the academy to a role with the first team focused on elite player development.

The Liverpool manager said he felt he needed to change his support team despite suggestions that he was told to do so at his end-of-season review with Fenway Sports.

'I decided to make a change,' Rodgers said at a press conference in Thailand, where Liverpool landed on Monday for their pre-season tour.

'I had two fantastic guys, both Colin and Mike are great professionals and were very supportive.

'I just felt the need to move in a different direction and the decision was purely made by myself.

'The guys have integrated very well into the group and hopefully we can continue with that ambiance in our work.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3159147/Brendan-Rodgers-said-changed-coaching-staff-wanted-new-direction.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »
Brendan Rodgers is looking to take his backroom team 'in a different direction' after wholesale changes this summer.

Colin Pascoe was sacked as assistant manager while first-team coach Mike Marsh was also relieved of his duties at Anfield.

Sean O'Driscoll was appointed as Rodgers' new assistant and former player Gary McAllister joined as a first-team coach. Pepijn Lijnders, meanwhile, was promoted from the academy to a role with the first team focused on elite player development.

The Liverpool manager said he felt he needed to change his support team despite suggestions that he was told to do so at his end-of-season review with Fenway Sports.

'I decided to make a change,' Rodgers said at a press conference in Thailand, where Liverpool landed on Monday for their pre-season tour.

'I had two fantastic guys, both Colin and Mike are great professionals and were very supportive.

'I just felt the need to move in a different direction and the decision was purely made by myself.

'The guys have integrated very well into the group and hopefully we can continue with that ambiance in our work.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3159147/Brendan-Rodgers-said-changed-coaching-staff-wanted-new-direction.html

Thanks for that Barticus.

Interesting. We have to take him at his word or wait until his memoirs come out.  ;D

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
Brendan Rodgers is a sick individual.  A back stabbing snake!  The scum takes credit when things go well but totally disassociates himself from problems when they arise and is a master at the blame game.

I'm so hacked off with the goings on at the club and the season hasn't even started...lol   
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
Brendan Rodgers is a sick individual.  A back stabbing snake!  The scum takes credit when things go well but totally disassociates himself from problems when they arise and is a master at the blame game.

I'm so hacked off with the goings on at the club and the season hasn't even started...lol

It's something that a lot of people don't understand about us. We like our club and it's employees, (the manager is the 'face' of the club) to do things in an honourable and humble way. It's not just about winning and success, but even within modern times, to still hold on to our 'decency'. As always, the substance is what counts, the image (window dressing) is secondary, with the perception part of the image being more important than the image in it's own right.

And I love that about us.