December 13, 2019, 02:29:24 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 197748 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
I am not even as optimistic as you, Edward.

Our owners have backed Rodgers to the hilt this summer.

It's his last throw of the dice.

But it's another summer, where he has brought in half a new team.

Going on what I witnessed in April and May, the dressing room looked to be in meltdown.   How do you take that rump of players, confidence non-existent, and add 5 or 6 new ones to it, and hope to get them gelling and competitive from the start.

This is the second summer, where he has made such wholesale changes.   When you are making that number of changes, as we enter the 4th year of his project, then there is something obviously wrong.

I think 6th or 7th, at best.

Most likely Rodgers to lose his job before Christmas.

I won't start on the number of players brought in. I've stated my opinion about how many or few I prefer to see, and Wenger has shown that keeping stability and change down to a minimum produces rewards - his record of CL qualification doesn't get the praise it deserves. If we look at the teams that have been in and out of the top four during that time it's interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if we could take CL qualification literally for granted and instead were complaining about never actually challenging for the title.

Rodgers complained midway through last season about the number of new faces and the difficulty of incorporating so many, in fact he said that it meant that last season became one of transition rather than being able to 'build' on the 2nd place finish, and then does exactly the same again when given more 'power and freedom' - that's the feeling I get, that as a result of 'the review' the owners have understood better the need for the manager to be 'free' to be in charge.

It's truly baffling. The existing players have a new coaching setup to adjust to and additionally, now have 7 or 8 new team mates. 7 or 8 new players have everything new to adjust to. It's constant churn and flux, no stability. Rodgers aside, from the POV of the players, both existing and new, we've almost got to accept that this season will have a degree of 'transition', which as Dude has rightly pointed out, to have that in a manager's 4th season is poor. Three seasons in and we're not building on what has already gone before, but we've ripped it up and started again.
Has Rodgers just put his own head in the noose by doing that?

What I find so hard to put up with, in that if things don't immediately 'slip into gear', whilst Rodgers will find himself under even greater pressure, or even be shown the door before the end of the season etc, is the bigger picture - Liverpool Football Club is failing, is suffering, is not the instituition that a lot of football people still see us as or want us to get back to being again. Apart from the odd exception, it's been this way since we lost 2-0 at home to Arsenal and gave them the title. For me, that was the start.
From then on it's been one mistake after another, and whilst the mistakes we easier to avoid than they appeared to those that made them, the one strand that joins them together, for me, at least, is sheer 'bloody common sense', the type that Shanks and Paisley used effortlessly. 'Simplicity' was the watchword. Keep it simple, and you keep it 'sensible'. Sheer 'bloody common sense' has been long time absentee from Anfield.
'Overthinking', 'misguided' and 'completely missing the point' are now the methods used and the routes followed.

Trace it back to when Dalglish quit originally. The club was on it's knees after Heysel and Hillsborough. We needed someone who could restore the club, both off and on the pitch. Someone who understood us and someone who understood football. And someone who's personality reflected our's as a club. One man. The choice was obvious, the reasoning went beyond the 'too simplistic' ideal of 'keeping it in the family'. We'd taken the keeping it in the family maybe a step too far with a player manager, or maybe, that was a sign that this particular route had reached it's natural end. So we had to look out from the ruins, not scrabble about within them for the answer, and the answer lay with another Bob from the North East.

So back to year 4 or year 26, either way it makes grim reading. Thankfully, we won't be reading the muppets on social media proclaiming 'this is our year'. At least Rodgers has managed that much in his time here.

In so many ways Rodgers feels like the poster boy for our last 26 years - he represents it all perfectly - as far removed from 'keep it simple' and 'sheer bloody common sense', probably as it's possible to be.

I feel the whisky and prozac beckoning me.................................. :(
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 08:23:47 AM »
After beating the Thai All stars, Brisbane, Adelaide and Malaysia XI, we now have the mouth watering prospect of playing the mighty Helsinki and Swindon Town.
Now after seeing Manure, Chelsea, Citeh etc playing the like of Real, Barcelona and PSG, i'm wondering who the hell came up with that line up???
And to think we have Stoke away first and have had no real tests. Can't wait!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
After beating the Thai All stars, Brisbane, Adelaide and Malaysia XI, we now have the mouth watering prospect of playing the mighty Helsinki and Swindon Town.
Now after seeing Manure, Chelsea, Citeh etc playing the like of Real, Barcelona and PSG, i'm wondering who the hell came up with that line up???
And to think we have Stoke away first and have had no real tests. Can't wait!

It's all about Marketing not preparation for the new football season I'm afraid.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
Whereas last year we face Roma, Man City,  Milan, Man U and Dortmund and failed badly.

It doesn't matter about opposition in pre-season that greatly. What is most important are the players gaining fitness, integrating themselves with the club, getting used to the system and each other.

We would have face a "big name" club at Anfield in our final pre season game however due to the main stand refurbishment we cannot do that.

The champions cup that those clubs have played in are solely in america - like we participated last year.

Whereas in 2014 Chelsea faced:- Wycombe, Wimbledon, Olympic Ljubljana, Vitesse Arnhem, Werder Bremen, Ferencvaros.

WOW STRONG TEAMS THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »

Rafa Benitez's wife says Real Madrid boss spends his time cleaning up Jose Mourinho's mess

RAFA BENITEZ’S wife has launched a tongue-in-cheek jibe at his old rival Jose Mourinho.

The Spaniard, now in charge of Real Madrid, has now managed three clubs where Mourinho has previously been in charge.

Speaking to La Region, the ex-Liverpool boss’s wife Montserrat Seara Benitez said: “We tidy up his messes. If you think about it, of course you end up crossing paths. There are only a few world-class clubs out there.”

Benitez took over directly from Mourinho at Inter after they had won the treble in 2010 but failed to impress and was sacked before Christmas.

In 2012 he was appointed interim manager at Chelsea, five years after the Portuguese had left Stamford Bridge and though he won the Europa League he failed to mount a title challenge and suffered disappointing League Cup and FA Cup exits in the semi-finals.

Benitez has now arrived at Real Madrid, two years after Mourinho left and returned to west London to replace his rival.

And the 2005 Champions League-winning coach’s wife also spoke about her husband’s obsession with football. She explained: “On our first date, Rafa explained to me what a 4-4-2 was. He finds it hard to stay away from the game. The year we spent at home [Benitez was out of work for all of 2011] he helped coach the local school team. It was hilarious. He stood on the sidelines and shouted at them as if they were first division players, waving his arms about."

“He doesn't see football as work, it's his passion. Sometimes I ask him, who's going to play? He says he doesn't know yet. They criticised him at Liverpool for constantly tweaking his starting XI.
I thought his two best friends in England were going to kill him."

Benitez’s Real take on AC Milan in Shanghai on Thursday in their next pre-season clash.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
It's truly baffling. The existing players have a new coaching setup to adjust to and additionally, now have 7 or 8 new team mates. 7 or 8 new players have everything new to adjust to. It's constant churn and flux, no stability. Rodgers aside, from the POV of the players, both existing and new, we've almost got to accept that this season will have a degree of 'transition', which as Dude has rightly pointed out, to have that in a manager's 4th season is poor. Three seasons in and we're not building on what has already gone before, but we've ripped it up and started again.
Has Rodgers just put his own head in the noose by doing that?

What I find so hard to put up with, in that if things don't immediately 'slip into gear', whilst Rodgers will find himself under even greater pressure, or even be shown the door before the end of the season etc, is the bigger picture - Liverpool Football Club is failing, is suffering, is not the instituition that a lot of football people still see us as or want us to get back to being again. Apart from the odd exception, it's been this way since we lost 2-0 at home to Arsenal and gave them the title. For me, that was the start.

Trace it back to when Dalglish quit originally. The club was on it's knees after Heysel and Hillsborough. We needed someone who could restore the club, both off and on the pitch. Someone who understood us and someone who understood football. And someone who's personality reflected our's as a club. One man. The choice was obvious, the reasoning went beyond the 'too simplistic' ideal of 'keeping it in the family'. We'd taken the keeping it in the family maybe a step too far with a player manager, or maybe, that was a sign that this particular route had reached it's natural end. So we had to look out from the ruins, not scrabble about within them for the answer, and the answer lay with another Bob from the North East.

top post, Tes.

Funny you should mention the rot setting in that night we lost the title at Anfield to Arsenal, with the last kick of the ball.   I always felt the same.  Yet my best mate always pointed out to me that we went on and won the title a final time, the following season.

But like you, I felt that awful loss, that night in May 1989, was the end of an era.

And as we have often agreed, Bobby Robson was the man we needed......not the young lad, Dalglish......and most certainly not Souness. 

If we had appointed Bobby Robson, I think our era of dominance would have continued for at least another decade.  I see a scenario of instead of Ferguson and Wenger going head to head in the 90s, fighting for the title......instead I imagine Robson v Fergie (Liverpool v United).

Then again, with a dominant Liverpool, would Fergie even have got a foothold established at United.  If our dominance had continued (under Bobby), then United may well have sacked Fergie early on.

It's all IFs and BUTs.

I am a firm believer in top men at the top, and a top man in the manager's position.

Peter Robinson and John Smith were top men.

Indeed, John Smith was our chairman for 17 years....between 1973 and 1990.   Our last title came in the summer of 1990.  Is it just mere coincidence that those 17 years mirrored our exact era of dominance?  I suspect not.

I'd love to know the role he played, or didn't play, in the appointment of Dalglish. I'd love to know how the decision was arrived at...and who took part in the decision.  I am guessing that he went along with the appointment, on the grounds that Bob Paisley would be there to guide Kenny. 

History will probably say that the club never recovered from Heysel and Hillsborough. 

But I think with the proper management, we would have continued with our dominance.

As you say, we have never recovered.  It's been one mistake after another.

Noel White came after John Smith, as chairman.  And there's your problem  IMHO.  He's not in the same class as Smith....nowhere near it. 

And our era of being decent, and always doing the right thing, and being an overly reflective club, drowning in melancholy and tears for glory days, was something I felt that David Moores brought along. 

We never replaced Bob Paisley, or John Smith.  Then again, very few could have replaced such men.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:16 AM »

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is battling with estranged wife Susan over the carve-up of their property empire - which consists of 102 houses.

The huge portfolio owned by the feuding couple emerged in a hearing in the High Court in London earlier this week.

Susan Rodgers (40) is believed to have demanded 50% of the property and half of the Ulsterman's future earnings in a bitter divorce settlement which could end up costing the Premier League football boss somewhere in the region of £8.5m.

The property portfolio, which was built up over two decades, is so large it will cost the Rodgers £32,000 just to have its value independently assessed.

Meanwhile, it is estimated that Carnlough man Rodgers will have earned some £20m as Liverpool manager by the time his contract expires in 2018. Even if he is sacked before then - and Rodgers is under pressure following a poor third season at Anfield - his contract is likely to be paid up in full.
Rodgers split with his wife early last year after 24 years together, 14 of them as a married couple. The pair have two children, Anton (20) and a 17-year-old daughter Mischa.

The 42-year-old, who moved from the family home into a £1.2m Merseyside apartment, has been dating 31-year-old Charlotte Searle, a former travel co-ordinator at Liverpool FC, since last summer. Ms Searle has a young daughter by her former husband Steven Hind.

As details of the Rodgers' messy break-up emerged in court, the pair sat 15ft apart but did not look at each other as lawyers explained they were locked in a "financial dispute resolution".
The court will rule on how much Susan, who met her husband when he was a young professional footballer with Reading, gets of Rodgers' future salary and for how long.

A family law expert said: "I would expect her to be trying for half his wages."

Since the relationship broke down Rodgers is said to have undergone an image makeover, including spending thousands of pounds having his teeth whitened and losing weight. Ms Searle spilt up with her husband in 2013 after a marriage that lasted only 17 months.

It was a bitter break-up, and Mr Hind (32) was handed a restraining order after sending a series of angry text messages to his ex-wife. Ms Searle had applied for a non-molestation order forbidding him from contacting her or going within 50 metres of her home in Southport.

The Rodgers' split came just 18 months after they were depicted on a fly-on-the-wall documentary as a happily married couple, with the narrator stating: "Rodgers has been with Susan since his teens and remains devoted to her. She's not some trophy wife he picked up after he had attained a bit of fame."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:52 AM »
102 houses.

aye, just one of the lads.

the boy, despite his lack of talent or humility, has done well for himself.

going forward, he won't starve.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
It's a shame part of his 'makeover' didn't include turning him into a trophy winning manager.

Today he's describing Benteke as a 'bargain'. Talking himself into trouble, again.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
It's a shame part of his 'makeover' didn't include turning him into a trophy winning manager.

;D ;D ;D

Today he's describing Benteke as a 'bargain'. Talking himself into trouble, again.

yes, his mouth always gets him in trouble.

it was so refreshing this summer, with the holidays, not having to listen to his daily press conference utterances.

but the one or two times he was asked about transfers, he did keep quiet.  I suspect he may have been told by the owners, or others at the club, the importance of keeping his big fat gub shut (or words to that effect).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:10:36 AM by the dude abides »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »

Absolutely. I notice Lambert scores 2 goals a couple of hours after signing for West Brom. Maybe the problems that he and Ballotelli etc have had was not to do with them but more to do with our outstanding manager.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
the graphic is not 100 percent correct. 

The Brentmaster General has actually won a trophy, the John Deere 3rd Place Playoff Final Trophy.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
Worried about Martin.

Come back Mart.  It is always darkest, just before the dawn.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
Absolutely. I notice Lambert scores 2 goals a couple of hours after signing for West Brom. Maybe the problems that he and Ballotelli etc have had was not to do with them but more to do with our outstanding manager.

Why was he signed? Why wasn't he used properly?

Suarez, gone. Studge, broken. Yet again experience doesn't appear to be an answer to any question posed at Anfield these days.

Rodgers spoke to Danny Murphy about the coaching roll. And there's that word again, experience - or maybe there should be a modified spelling in the Oxford English if used in any context to do with us - lackofexperience.

So he overlooks Segura to appoint a 'token', only to potentially replace that with a 'pundit'.

Victor Meldrew had a word for it.