October 16, 2019, 05:46:19 PM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 159106 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2015, 08:05:18 AM »
Ancelotti ticks every box, including a proven successful track record in the Premier League and repeated success across a number of clubs and in different countries - the two things that count against Klopp.

I like everything about Ancelotti. He's the Italian Bobby Robson, and my feelings about him and the part he should have played in our club is well enough documented on here.

yes, Ancelotti would be my first choice too.....as you say, ticks all the boxes, and is the Italian Bobby Robson.

one can never guarantee anything in life, or football.....but Ancelotti would offer us the best chance.

Klopp would possibly do a good job....and we might have a more realistic chance of recruiting him. 

But I am far from convinced that our owners will be any different than they were when it last came to recruiting a manager.  They are arrogant nitwits, with an obsession for doing it their way....and appointing young guys who spout media friendly sh.i.t.e.

The club badly need en experienced pair of hands.  The last thing we need right now, is another kid, who has won feck all, and knows feck all, apart from cultivating a nice media image on Sky and the BBC.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »
My, my, first page of the RAWK thread on United game reminds
me of the more cynical amongst us on the pre-Brendan appointment
debate. Seems they're over 3 years behind!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322898.0

Meanwhile, some easy fixtures coming up, so the course of the season should not
become apparent 'til the fixtures against Spurs, Everton and Chelsea (no doubt by
then scrambling back up the table with a point to prove by then) in October.

over at the RAWK forum, reading that thread, time is up for Rodgers.

the kid should have been shown the door in the summer, on the back of that awful end to the season, nd the 6-1 drubbing at Stoke on the final day.

this is really a wasted season.....a waste of an entire year.

Our owners really should be wearing L plates......they have so much to learn.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
Article from football 365...

Saturday told us everything about you…

Forget all the psudeo-intellectual nonsense talk of philosophy, those 90 minutes on Saturday showed you don’t know what you’re doing, silly man. It’s time to go now, Brendan.

Come on, that’s enough now, Brendan. It’s stopped being funny.

There was a moment about 18 months ago when it was hard to tell if Brendan Rodgers was a genius or a clown, or possible a genius clown. He’s been a lot of fun for us, but now there’s something dreadful and crushing about watching him go about his job, endlessly dressing up ineptitude as intellectual philosophy.

Many managers get a period of luck in their career, a period when they can do no wrong. It’s usually not because they’re doing anything massively different, more often it’s because a couple of players hit good form, or you accidentally hit on a new formation and the luck goes your way for a bit. Brendan had his luck with Luis Suarez but managed to convince himself that it wasn’t luck, it was an expression of his own brilliance – a combination of exceptional analysis, man-management and deep thinking.

To talk about football in the way that Brendan Rodgers talks about football, you have to be successful, otherwise you look stupid. Rodgers’ inability to match his pseudo-intellectualising with results says one thing and one thing only: I am deluded and I don’t know what I’m doing. Okay, so that’s two things.

And it was obvious from the way Liverpool played at Old Trafford that fundamentally he doesn’t know what he’s doing, unless being awful is his aim. Daniel Storey masterfully highlighted all of the flaws in Liverpool’s play in 16 Conclusions – the shocking thing was that Rodgers couldn’t even see any of this before, during, or after the match. I genuinely believe he is more occupied with thinking up a metaphysical riddle to utter at the post-match conference, solely in order to look brainy to thick people and to himself.

Some managers know when they’re lost, they know when they’ve signed the wrong players, they know when their tactics are hopeless and wrong, but Rodgers doesn’t. He still thinks he’s bloody great. Maybe he thinks he’s creating a hybrid physical expression of mathematics and poetry. He is certainly prone to talking like a man who is divorced entirely from reality. It is as though everything he says has been generated by a piece of software as a satire on the way air-headed, white-toothed motivational speakers go on, dressing up simple things in long-winded ways, so as to make out there’s more wisdom to it. Brendan, nobody is impressed anymore.

Even when saying really basic things about a footballer, he makes it sound weird. Talking of playing Danny Ings he said: “He’s a threat to the goal.” Why doesn’t he just say he’s a goal threat? Or that he might score. Ings isn’t a threat to the goal – his threat is to score a goal. I know it’s not a big thing, but such embellishment is illustrative of how his mind works. “I’m not one who chops and changes the philosophy – that’s something inherent in you,” is more classic Rodgers nonsense. First, it’s not true, for all the reasons Daniel says in 16 conclusions, but read the sentence again – it doesn’t actually make any sense. It should read “I don’t chop and change my philosophy – that’s something inherent in me,” and even then, you might argue the last two words are superfluous.

His whole aim with such uncomfortable, clunky expressions is to aggrandise himself. He refers to ‘the philosophy’ as though it is a grand concept like Marxism or quantum physics. And by saying that not chopping and changing is some sort of inherent character trait is just obvious nonsense. How you decide your team will play football is not a trait you’re given at birth. And anyway, whatever your philosophy is and from wherever it derives, if it leads to performances like Saturdays, it’s manifestly the wrong bloody philosophy.

But it’s all so typical of the man. His whole Liverpool tenure has been defined by all of these ridiculous hostages to fortune. He’s the only man in football who manages to put one foot in a bucket whilst slipping on a banana skin and shooting himself in the other foot.

Being thoughtful and clever is good, but only if you ARE thoughtful and clever. If you’re not thoughtful and clever but have merely just convinced yourself that you are – because everyone else you know has the intellect of gravy – you just end up making a fool of yourself. You’d think he’d have realised this by now, but he hasn’t. And he hasn’t because he believes in it and doesn’t realise that what surely used to be a pseudo-intellectual affectation has now become an entire consciousness.

His failures are well documented and extensive but it boils down to this: Brendan, look at the team, look at who they are and how they play. That tells us everything about you. Saturday told us everything about you. You can’t dress it up as a philosophy and you’re making yourself look stupid by doing so.

I wish you were actually just talking rubbish in order to get the sack and a huge pay-off. But you’re not, are you? You believe in the nonsense.

Brendan, it’s over or, to put it in terms you might better understand, the project demands a more progressive, dynamic individual, vis-a-vis interpersonal and inspirational one-on-one motivational and organisational skills, on both a macro and a micro level…and because of playing Dejan Lovren too, you big divvy.

John Nicholson

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
Now been revealed that Gerrard had to do some of the tapping up of players. Obviously Rodgers knew that he had no standing and so could blame someone else when targets weren't gained.

From Gerrard's new book...

I had an unofficial role at the club, trying to persuade some great players to join Liverpool. It was the same ritual every summer. The club would let me know which long-shot target they had in mind and then ask me to contact him. They thought that a request to consider moving to Liverpool would have more impact coming from me.

In 2013, the latest player in our sights was Willian, the Brazilian midfielder. I followed the usual routine when approaching a star player we wanted to sign. Instead of calling him directly I always sent a text. It seemed more respectful and allowed the player to read my message at a time when it suited him best. A cold call felt wrong.

I slipped into the groove with Willian. I said hello and hoped he didn’t mind me contacting him directly. I stressed how much I admired him as a player and then, having mentioned that I knew Liverpool were speaking to his agent, I used the standard line: ‘If you need to chat or ask any questions I’m available at any time.’

It was the opening move in a familiar game. The reply came in and the same old conversation started. Willian thanked me and he said the usual, along the lines of, ‘I’d love to play with you, Steven, blah-blah-blah, but there are other clubs who play in the Champions League I need to talk to as well.’ I knew Spurs and Chelsea were also very keen on Willian. So I answered him and said, of course, I understood. But I then went in with my sales pitch. ‘I think Liverpool would be a great move for you. The fans are amazing, the history is there and we’re building a good team. You could do something great here - and we’d love to have you.’

I meant it, too, because the club only asked for my help if it was with a player I rated. But I always tried to persuade with honesty and respect and never mentioned anything about the player’s financial situation or the contract he could expect from Liverpool. The next text from Willian was so obvious I could have written it for him even before I read it. He again said that it would be great to play in the same team as me but ‘I’m not sure Liverpool can give me the Champions League.’ He went to Chelsea.

It was a game of texting ping-pong that had only small differences each time. Occasionally a player would say his wife or girlfriend preferred the idea of living in London, Madrid or Paris. The clear message was that there were fancier shops and swankier restaurants in bigger cities than Liverpool. I knew then that the deal was dead.

Our target in 2014 was ridiculously optimistic. Brendan asked me to take a crack at trying to talk Toni Kroos into signing for Liverpool. He smiled when I said we’d be p*****g into the wind with this one. We both admired Kroos immensely. I knew Real Madrid were gearing up to make Bayern Munich an offer and so I felt a bit awkward when I texted Kroos. The German was on his way to winning the World Cup with his country and Real were the champions of Europe. But God loves a trier, and so I gave it a whirl.

Some of the best footballers in the world can also be the most respectful. Kroos didn’t make me feel like I was a total idiot. But, of course, he would soon sign for Real Madrid. We had a nice little exchange of texts and I said well done and good luck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233066/Steven-Gerrard-recounts-role-trying-convince-likes-Willian-Toni-Kroos-sign-Liverpool.html

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »
Insightful post Barticus, cheers.

Just proves this pillock (BR) has NO standing in the game whatsoever.  If anyone at the club reads this forum, get off of your backsides and get Ancelelotti NOW.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
Since the last United match at home in March, this list of risible results - including our worst Wembley performance ever:

1-2 v defeat at home to United. As cowardly a performance as yesterday's
 4-1 defeat away to Arsenal. And it could/should have been much worse.
 0-1 Win at Blackburn in the cup. Blackburn are currently in the bottom 3 in the championship.
 2-0 win over John Carver's Newcastle. A team which nearly got itself relegated from a safe position due to the cretin left in charge.
 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa at Wembley. Can't think of a worse performance in a major cup semi final. Villa were subsequently hammered in the final at Wembley.
 0-0 draw at West Brom. A largely clueless performance. Insipid football against a defensive home team.
 1-0 defeat at Hull. A team subsequently relegated. Terrible performance against a shine-a-light team.
 2-1 win at home to OPR, another relegated team. Only when QPR were down to 10 men did we look like winning. Not good.
 1-1 draw away to Chelsea. Didn't see the game. But think Chelsea were already celebrating being champions. Non-match for them. On the surface, a good result.
 1-3 defeat at home Crystal Palace. Outplayed, outfought and out thought by Pardew. Palace should have won by more.
 6-1 defeat away at Stoke. Worst performance I've seen from a Liverpool team, and that includes games with Souness & Hodge in charge. Embarrassing.
 0-1 win away at Stoke. A great result given the context. A dogged, hard-fought win achieved through a stunning Coutinho goal. Wider context: Stoke currently bottom of the league.
 1-0 win at home to Bournemouth. Dodgy goal but to be successful you occasionally have to scrape these sort of wins.
0-0 draw at Arsenal. Was away so didn't see the game. A good result at a venue were we historically struggle. By all accounts a very good first half performance.
 0-3 defeat at home to West Ham. A copy of the Palace performance from last season. Dire performance, outfought and out thought this time by Billic. Could have been more than 3 for the Hammers.
 3-1 defeat at Man United. As poor and gutless a first half I've seen from a Liverpool at Old Trafford, against an ordinary and pedestrian United. No shape, no fight, no tactical awareness.

I think the bare facts speak for themselves. Generally poor results and poor performances over a 16 game period. I defy anybody to find a great 90 minutes of football from that list. The last genuinely good performance was against City at Anfield at the start of March. We were very good that day. We've had good results since, but the performance level has been generally shine-a-light. And good teams don't lose that many matches. There's a trend there, and that is we are currently losing half the games we play. Imagine if it continues: every other game we get beaten!

I have no personal dislike for Brendan. I just don't think he is good enough to be our manager any longer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
Since the last United match at home in March, this list of risible results - including our worst Wembley performance ever:

1-2 v defeat at home to United. As cowardly a performance as yesterday's
 4-1 defeat away to Arsenal. And it could/should have been much worse.
 0-1 Win at Blackburn in the cup. Blackburn are currently in the bottom 3 in the championship.
 2-0 win over John Carver's Newcastle. A team which nearly got itself relegated from a safe position due to the cretin left in charge.
 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa at Wembley. Can't think of a worse performance in a major cup semi final. Villa were subsequently hammered in the final at Wembley.
 0-0 draw at West Brom. A largely clueless performance. Insipid football against a defensive home team.
 1-0 defeat at Hull. A team subsequently relegated. Terrible performance against a shine-a-light team.
 2-1 win at home to OPR, another relegated team. Only when QPR were down to 10 men did we look like winning. Not good.
 1-1 draw away to Chelsea. Didn't see the game. But think Chelsea were already celebrating being champions. Non-match for them. On the surface, a good result.
 1-3 defeat at home Crystal Palace. Outplayed, outfought and out thought by Pardew. Palace should have won by more.
 6-1 defeat away at Stoke. Worst performance I've seen from a Liverpool team, and that includes games with Souness & Hodge in charge. Embarrassing.
 0-1 win away at Stoke. A great result given the context. A dogged, hard-fought win achieved through a stunning Coutinho goal. Wider context: Stoke currently bottom of the league.
 1-0 win at home to Bournemouth. Dodgy goal but to be successful you occasionally have to scrape these sort of wins.
0-0 draw at Arsenal. Was away so didn't see the game. A good result at a venue were we historically struggle. By all accounts a very good first half performance.
 0-3 defeat at home to West Ham. A copy of the Palace performance from last season. Dire performance, outfought and out thought this time by Billic. Could have been more than 3 for the Hammers.
 3-1 defeat at Man United. As poor and gutless a first half I've seen from a Liverpool at Old Trafford, against an ordinary and pedestrian United. No shape, no fight, no tactical awareness.

I think the bare facts speak for themselves. Generally poor results and poor performances over a 16 game period. I defy anybody to find a great 90 minutes of football from that list. The last genuinely good performance was against City at Anfield at the start of March. We were very good that day. We've had good results since, but the performance level has been generally shine-a-light. And good teams don't lose that many matches. There's a trend there, and that is we are currently losing half the games we play. Imagine if it continues: every other game we get beaten!

I have no personal dislike for Brendan. I just don't think he is good enough to be our manager any longer.

It may not be from the lest but weren't we quite good against the Thailand XI?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
It may not be from the lest but weren't we quite good against the Thailand XI?
:)

Who knows how the season will pan out.

At present there's a lack of momentum but things can change.

What irks me is the predictability of our transfer dealings. We can't afford genuine
superstars so instead we pay lots of money for players who aren't i.e. from the second
or third tier. It's like we're trying desperately to keep up with the Jones. We're Liverpool,
so we're expected to spend X amount each Summer + 1 supposed marquee signing. Then
we spend the first 3 months of the season desperately seeking signs of footballing life in
whoever we overpaid by £10 million for - mind-numbingly predictable.

I look at Everton and see a club that cuts its cloth and seems more coherent in terms
of a development cycle as we stagnate with transfer ideas that don't work. Meanwhile
the development areas of the club are neglected (which could probably use the £10 million
extra we wasted on whoever).

But, and here we go again, let's not forget who in his pomp overhauled the youth and reserves
set up getting rid of good men along the way.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
One thing these 2 past results prove is that - as I know you do not rate him Martin - how vital Henderson is too us and just how damned good he is.

Without him Lucas looks dishevelled as he has no one beside me with the ability to run in behind space or anyone with the athleticism and dynamism to press when needed which only Henderson produces at a high level. Milner for example does not possess both those assets neither does Can at this time.

For me Henderson is our 3rd best player behind Sturridge and Coutinho. He is therefore vital to how our midfield works.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
Henderson is a very important midfielder for Liverpool.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »
thanks Bart for those two excellent posts.

I have been reading a fair few of Gerrard's excerpts.

I imagine that he has fallen out with a fair few folk in the game (and the club) over this book.

He doesn't have a lot good to say about Rafa on a personal level.

Those senior people (I am referring to senior players) at the club, who effectively forced Rafa out, should be publically named and shamed.   

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
One thing these 2 past results prove is that - as I know you do not rate him Martin - how vital Henderson is too us and just how damned good he is.

Without him Lucas looks dishevelled as he has no one beside me with the ability to run in behind space or anyone with the athleticism and dynamism to press when needed which only Henderson produces at a high level. Milner for example does not possess both those assets neither does Can at this time.

For me Henderson is our 3rd best player behind Sturridge and Coutinho. He is therefore vital to how our midfield works.

No I don't rate him and I don't think too much can be explained by his absence in the last 2 games. We weren't any worse against West Ham and United than Bournemouth and Stoke to be fair - we only had the margins on our side.

I attribute Lucas' dishevelledness (not only his btw) to the fact the players doesn't seem to understand what they're expected to do, what system they're part of and how each and everyone can contribute to its goalfulfillment. It's clear to me they spend a hell of a lot of their focusingm, thinking about what they're supposed to do on the pitch, what position they're supposed to be in, in this or that situation. Our situation cannot be explained by any one individual (unless Suarez re-sign and you timewarp Gerrard back to his late 20's) as it is refers to qualities like identity, structure and organisation.

I would also add that I rate parts of Henderson's game and clearly rate him as a squadplayer, but I maintain naming him captain is a clear signal this club's going backwards in so many departments. Regrettably.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
Top managers are able to overcome financial disadvantages to win trophies, that's what we need.

The teams that knocked us out under Rodgers so far:

-Oldham
-Swansea
-Zenit
-Moyes' United
-Arsenal
-Villa
-Chelsea
-Basel
-Beşiktaş

I mean even if you use the financial excuse, only 3 of those teams are financially better than us.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »

Rafa responds to Gerrard book

You may see a few headlines saying Rafa Benitez 'hit back' at Steven Gerrard's book this week, with the former Reds skipper accusing the now Real Madrid boss of being cold and 'stupid' for selling Xabi Alonso.

Rafa, though, hasn't 'hit back' as such, he did confirm that he disagreed with Gerrard's assessment, but also refused to be drawn on the subject.

“I have read the quotes and I believe he is wrong,” he said.

“Out of the respect that I have for Stevie and for the value and appreciation I have for him, and for Liverpool and the supporters, I think it’s best to just let it pass."

“He has brought out a book and now I’m the Real Madrid manager, that sells.”

That is a very dignified response to Gerrard's nasty book.

You'd have thought that the multi-zillionaire ex-captain of a club founded on the notion of not washing it's dirty linen in public, wouldn't need the thirty pieces of silver (for this dirty book).

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »

Rafa responds to Gerrard book

You may see a few headlines saying Rafa Benitez 'hit back' at Steven Gerrard's book this week, with the former Reds skipper accusing the now Real Madrid boss of being cold and 'stupid' for selling Xabi Alonso.

Rafa, though, hasn't 'hit back' as such, he did confirm that he disagreed with Gerrard's assessment, but also refused to be drawn on the subject.

“I have read the quotes and I believe he is wrong,” he said.

“Out of the respect that I have for Stevie and for the value and appreciation I have for him, and for Liverpool and the supporters, I think it’s best to just let it pass."

“He has brought out a book and now I’m the Real Madrid manager, that sells.”

That is a very dignified response to Gerrard's nasty book.

You'd have thought that the multi-zillionaire ex-captain of a club founded on the notion of not washing it's dirty linen in public, wouldn't need the thirty pieces of silver (for this dirty book).

Yeah, even I thought that was a tad OTT by SG.