December 04, 2020, 08:23:36 PM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 288582 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #825 on: February 28, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Klopp will learn even more about the character of individual players this afternoon. Those who don't turn up or deal with the pressure of a final could see themselves out of the door in the Summer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 28, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Come on Leicester!

These next 5 games, starting today, are crucial (as are all the remaining games, come to think of it).

I know people will they had no European football to distract them and they're out of the cups etc, but when we were in that situation we still failed to win the league with 'bigger' name players.

It goes to show that having the right players, that compliment each other in the particular partnerships there are on a football pitch, and having the right balance and blend throughout the team will ultimately achieve more than a 'collection' of brilliant players.

Raneiri would have had his team drilled to play out those last few seconds against Chelsea, and wouldn't have surrendered a 3-0 lead trying to overturn a ridiculous goal difference scenario, and would have tightened things up after Palace's first goal to make sure the priority of getting the three points was achieved.

Ranieri has had his team prepared to achieve the three points, game after game, in whatever way was required.
He's not tried to make situations fit his 'utopian ideal' or force his 'philosophy' to fit every game irrespective of what's actually happening on the pitch, and the Leicester players have shown a great individual and collective mentality, and they've turned up for every game, irrespective of the opponent.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 28, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »
Brilliant chance to stop them completing the set of all 3 European trophies, something we can never do with the Cup Winners Cup being defunct.
Also, we can stop their most likely way of getting CL football for next season.

The less they appear in the CL, the less likely they are to get the better players and hopefully their demise can truly set in.

Klopp would get sainted if we win the UEFA Cup having dumped the Mancs out on the way.

If we can get to the final, I'd love Valencia there with us. How sweet would it be to deprive Neville of of his first trophy. It would be the sweetest UEFA Cup win yet.

agreed, Tes.  United fans are going to have to get used to a scenario (like the one we found ourselves in, when the dominant era was over).  Without Fergie, they are a regular club.....one that is merely one of several, and might win a league only once in a while.

What odds would you have got in August, of both Chelsea and United missing out on CL places, and even missing out on Europa League spots. 

Yes, wouldn't it be delicious, to beat Neville's Valencia. 

I think our week of rest, prior to the second leg at Old Trafford, could be the difference.   And at Old Trafford, they would be expected to be more open and come at us.....perfect recipe for our fresher legs, to hassle and hussle them into a major defeat (ala our 4-1 versus Man City).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 28, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
Klopp will learn even more about the character of individual players this afternoon. Those who don't turn up or deal with the pressure of a final could see themselves out of the door in the Summer.

yes, I think Klopp will be very unforgiving of those who hide, or do not give their all, today.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 28, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »
Ranieri has had his team prepared to achieve the three points, game after game, in whatever way was required.

He's not tried to make situations fit his 'utopian ideal' or force his 'philosophy' to fit every game irrespective of what's actually happening on the pitch, and the Leicester players have shown a great individual and collective mentality, and they've turned up for every game, irrespective of the opponent.

absolutely.  He's got less ego, and is happy to be in the background.

Three points are what he's after - and whatever fair means to get them, is fine.

As you say, a wonderful collective mentality - and a great balance.   Reminds me of the way Rafa put a team together- with great balance. 

Spurs or Leicester winning the league would be amazing, and a wonderful injection of hope to english football.   Of course, I think nearly all of us are pining for Leicester.  The stuff of fairytales.  If they can pull it off, the lads in that team/squad will never ever have to buy another round of drinks in Leicester again, in their lifetimes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 28, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
absolutely.  He's got less ego, and is happy to be in the background.

Three points are what he's after - and whatever fair means to get them, is fine.

As you say, a wonderful collective mentality - and a great balance.   Reminds me of the way Rafa put a team together- with great balance. 

Spurs or Leicester winning the league would be amazing, and a wonderful injection of hope to english football.   Of course, I think nearly all of us are pining for Leicester.  The stuff of fairytales.  If they can pull it off, the lads in that team/squad will never ever have to buy another round of drinks in Leicester again, in their lifetimes.

The good thing is that everything points towards Klopp having the same outlook regards 'building' a team, rather than just collecting players and then trying to figure out  how to assemble a team from the collection of players.

He won't buy the best players or see money as the solution, but he'll buy the most suitable players and build a squad of players that compliment each other and blend together as a unit.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 28, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »
I know we were doomed after Oliver blew the whistle for ET. It's amazing how many finals we've won on penalties so it was just our turn to come up emptyhanded.

It was a fairly good game to watch but once again our CM came up short. Henderson just isn't a captain, nor the dynamo this team so desperately need. Milner isn't good enough, enough said on that one. And Firmino really look like a true Brendan Rodgers signing. Extremly critical of Klopp for keeping him on for so long despite being completely and utterly useless. Mignolet ah well, don't get me started.

I thought Kolo was superb alongside the fantastic Lucas. Also like Origi.

We do defend a lot better as of lately and although they created a lot of chances almost all of them resulted from us chasing a goal at the other end. We're lightyears from where we were 24 months ago where we scored 3 goals/game for fun.  We do seem to be unable to capitalise on our improving ability to win back the ball high up the pitch. IMHO, the reason for this is our CM is mentally too weak while at the same time lacking the quality to pin opposition down.

It'll end up a disastrous season as I cannot see us get past the mancs while I'll stick with my prediction we'll finish somewhere 7-10. The only positive is we'll be able to focus solely on the league next season.

How did we become such an average club?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 28, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
Agreed Martin as I thought Lucas and Toure played really well...we have moved on from panic in our defence but let's face it Mignolet should not be our first choice keeper. To give him credit though he did then keep us in the game. He's hugely frustrating but i just dont think he has the strength in his hands to keep balls out.
Lallana made a huge difference and should have been brought on for a thoroughly crap Firmino asap. I think the pairing of coutinho AND firmino is a luxury.
Sorry but Henderson and Milner are not our future and as soon as both are replaced the more the better.
All in all, we rode our luck and then played well after 70 minutes or so and should have buried them.
No disgrace going out on penalties as lets face it we've had good fortune there before.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 28, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
Sarah Winterburn pretty much says it all...

'When your best player over 120 minutes is the goalkeeper solely responsible for the opposition’s only goal, it’s fair to say that you have failed to produce a performance worthy of a cup final. Simon Mignolet’s only real competition for that ‘accolade’ was a combative midfielder playing out of position at centre-half. Liverpool’s perceived weaknesses were rare strengths on a day when their lack of real quality was painfully laid bare.

The first 83 minutes with not a single shot on target despite dominating possession against a sloppy Manchester City side will be Exhibit A in Jurgen Klopp’s campaign to make significant changes this summer. Significant not in terms of quantity – his comment that “seven sounds a lot” when discussing Liverpool’s previous summer business revealed much – but significant in terms of quality. This deeply average squad of players needs an upgrade.

Liverpool have a captain who would be a useful squad player at any of the clubs they should be battling for the title; they have a vice captain who was a useful squad player at one of those clubs. Together they do not have the vision and creativity of the man they have replaced as captain and player. Together they epitomise this Liverpool side. Honest, good professionals but not men to build a team around. They are career followers thrust into leadership.

Henderson touched the ball more times at Wembley than any other player on the pitch and yet I cannot recall any of those 107 touches. I remember some enthusiastic pointing, some vehement appealing and some excellent running after Philippe Coutinho when he scored his equaliser, but there’s a gap where memories of a captain’s performance in a cup final should be.

When your ‘leaders’ are so uninspiring, you almost forgive Coutinho for his anonymity before the goal, Roberto Firmino for his fade to grey after a fizzing start, Daniel Sturridge for being infuriatingly wasteful in possession and Milner for simply being Milner. Robbie Savage spoke about Liverpool’s vice-captain in glowing terms as a 7/10 player in a way that only a 6/10 player can. But Liverpool are not a 7/10 club and the fans have a right to expect better.

Firmino, Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge (when fit) are players worthy of a better Liverpool side, while Emre Can will undoubtedly improve under Klopp’s tutelage. But neither Henderson nor Milner will now become better footballers; they have peaked as willing runners, good professionals and all-round good guys. If there is room for both of them in a first-choice Liverpool side next season then Klopp has failed.

After inheriting a flawed squad in mid-season, Klopp was given a free pass that almost ended in an unlikely trophy. He almost succeeded where Brendan Rodgers failed with a combination of enthusiasm, energy and bear hugs; next season he will be judged on his own team’s recovery from extensive summer surgery. Scalpel please, nurse; there could be significant blood lost.'

http://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-a-910-club-with-710-leaders

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 28, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »
Just came back from the game.

I am gutted about it but these things happen. We were due a penalty shoot out loss in a final am thinking milan, west ham, birmingham and cardiff. So we were due to lose one.

I have to say a few things. Firstly our front 3 grossly underperformed today as they were anonymous for most of the game. Firmino should have been subbed off a lot earlier and it really irritates me they show such inconsistency as we all know what they are capable of producing.

Our central midfield was again a weak link. Not enough leadership shown in the middle for me.

Man City had so much space down Moreno's flank it was unbelievable. Moreno is a shocking defender. Another thing I noticed today was our decision making was poor in the sense that one of the full back had loads of space but we didn't play him in straight away. We dilly dallied and city got players back. Sturridge the biggest culprit.

But the atmosphere in our end really was electric and we should be proud of that.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 29, 2016, 12:21:06 AM »
Coutinho has only just come back from injury, though not long term, it still affects a player's absolute sharpness and touch. Sturridge can't be match fit or sharp after so long out, and mentally he's at the stage you'd expect too. Also, I think there will be a problem for a while with confidence and belief in his own body.

With Firmino not having his best game and Sturridge being where he is physically and mentally in terms of his comeback, it's hard for Coutinho not having those two firing on all cylinders. They would improve his performance, and he, their's if all were at 100%.

Brad Smith should be given the rest of the season. Moreno is clueless when it comes to even the basics of defending, and doesn't consistently offer enough going forward.

Mignolet did what Mignolet does. His replacement has to be the priority signing this Summer. Yes, he made three excellent saves, but that's what top class goalkeepers do, but what they don't do is fluff the basics as often as he does. Without that mistake, and despite creating very little, Coutinho's goal would have won it.
When you don't play particularly well as a team, but still score and shut the opposition out still, the last thing you need is a basic mistake by your keeper rendering everything else as meaningless.

We also need an injection of pace throughout the team, in terms of speed of movement and speed of thought.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:22:52 AM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
Premiership keepers are appalling: Ex-pro slams Liverpool, Chelsea and other ‘useless’ stoppers
EX-TOP FLIGHT goalkeeper John Burridge has let rip at the current crop of Premier League stoppers, branding several big-names ‘useless’.

Following Manchester City’s Capital One Cup Final win over Liverpool yesterday, Burridge criticised Reds keeper Simon Mignolet who was at fault for the opening goal at Wembley.

The former Crystal Palace, Newcastle and Southampton man is a fan of Leicester's Kasper Schmeichel but didn’t pull his punches for the Prem’s other top keepers.
Burridge claims Mignolet is among a group of ‘appalling’ number ones alongside the likes of Thibaut Courtois, Wayne Hennessey and Ben Foster.

The 5ft 11in former pro, who played for 29 clubs in his career, slammed the height of the goalkeepers in question, saying they ‘can't get down’.

The 64-year-old, whose Twitter bio is ‘The greatest goalkeeper the world has never seen - I should still be playing’, vented his anger by posting:

“The goal keeping in the premiership is now appalling.

"Courtois 6' 7" Henessey 6' 6" Foster 6' 7" Useless. The best is Schmeichel he's 6' foot brilliant."

“As I said keeping in the prem these days is shocking I will add another name to my earlier list Simon Mignolet 6' 4" can't get down useless.”

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 29, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
There could be something in that.

Big tall keepers struggle to get down.

And we saw that again yesterday, when Mignolet conceded.

On the bigger issue, I still am baffled why we gave the lad a new contract.   

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 29, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
The German keeper at Barca, Marc-André ter Stegen, that we are supposedly interested in, is only 6 feet 2 inches......so a step in the right direction.

But this season, I have been wondering why we haven't be trying to buy Schmeicel from Leicester.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 29, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
Two more who weren't huge were Paul Cooper of Ipswich and Jimmy Rimmer of Arsenal.

We could have done with Cooper's penalty saving prowess yesterday.  ;D